mtbr member

Picked up a 2015 GT Sensor Elite

(updates are at the bottom of thread)

So, I sold my other bike and picked up a GT Sensor Elite. I was really after the Expert model but none were available at the time. Rather than upgrade to the X-Pro (which I had demoed) or the Carbon Pro... I downgraded and hoped I wouldn't regret it! (LOL). I bought this bike because of the rear suspension design and performance from my demo ride back in April.

I really like the way the bike rides so far with it's bigger 27.5" wheels compared to my 26er. Although, if I had the choice I would have liked the bike with 26" wheels as I like "lighter" bikes for climbing. So, this Sensor Elite is on the heavier side for my mostly XC riding right now. I'll have to start cutting some weight.... weighed in at 32lbs. fully built then add my 1lb. tail bag as the way I normally roll, so it's a little heavy for XC but I'm doing it with more "grins" on the downhills! (... but, all in all I've become a 27.5 convert... liking the "choice in the middle"... as Goldilocks did!)

Almost immediately I converted the Sektor fork to 140mm by removing the air chamber travel spacer. I understand all 2016 Sensor's are 140mm travel, the X-Pro I demoed was 150mm travel up front and when I rode it I thought 160mm would have been nice too.

The rear derailleur hanger snapped on me at about 125 miles with little provocation, just riding rutty trails (so, I've ordered a new one and an XT derailleur upgrade to cut some weight). A bit of a head scratch-er on the hanger busting so soon but, seems to have been a brittle material not up to the "task"... hoping it will be a fluke in the long run!

Update 2/27/2016: I just broke my second rear derailleur hanger! I ordered a replacement from SOS Derailleur Hanger hoping it would be of "longer life" and it lasted about 200 miles before snapping clean off down one of my favorite trails. I tried to get GT to upgrade me to the "thru-axle" swing arm with no luck. They can't even give me a part # to order!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picked up a 2015 GT Sensor Elite-gt-sensor-elite-002.jpg  

Picked up a 2015 GT Sensor Elite-gt-sensor-elite-003.jpg  

Picked up a 2015 GT Sensor Elite-untitled-1a.jpg  

Picked up a 2015 GT Sensor Elite-dscf0004.jpg  

Picked up a 2015 GT Sensor Elite-gt-sensor-elite-007.jpg  

Last edited by kneejerk; 04-11-2017 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    was it east to convert the fork travel? I'd like to do that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Congratulations on the sensor. I have an expert and love it. You'll notice a nice difference in weight if you go 1x10.. best decision I made. Also, the x-kings imo honestly don't roll as fast as I expected and the grip isn't great. I'm running maxxis ardents and it rolls way faster (although I might switch the front to a dhr2 for better cornering grip) Anyway, no reason to regret..it's an excellent bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I hope this works-..trying to upload from my phone.. Here's a pic of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picked up a 2015 GT Sensor Elite-20150913_112637.jpg  

mtbr member
    yeah, pretty easy if you know what you are doing with them but... it can be a little confusing... not recommended for someone that has no experience servicing forks... but, then there is only one way to get that experience unless you sign up for some expensive school... if you screw it up it's a relatively cheap fork...

mtbr member
    kneejerk why are you not using Direct Mount for the derailleur as mannyfnz does on his bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbj2012 View Post
    kneejerk why are you not using Direct Mount for the derailleur as mannyfnz does on his bike?
    2015 Elite didn't come with the through axle rear end!

mtbr member
    Ahh there is difference in between the alu versions.

Btw I run a 140mm Pike on my Sensor. Unless you ride very aggressively I don't think more travel is necessary.

mtbr member
    edit
    Last edited by kneejerk; 04-11-2017 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cbj2012 View Post
    Ahh there is difference in between the alu versions.

Btw I run a 140mm Pike on my Sensor. Unless you ride very aggressively I don't think more travel is necessary.
    I know you only have a 10mm difference, but does 140 feel any slacker? Probably only 1/2 difference, but I'm curious. Also, is it worth the cash to upgrade the fork? I'd love a pike but it's out of my budget.. would consider an x-fusion sweep or slant though.. Thanks for any help..

mtbr member
    I never rode it with the original fork as I sold it off unused so it would impossible for me to comment on the difference. I do love how the fork rides.

You should keep you eyes open this is the time of the year where you can get deal online. Over the weekend I saw Fox 36 for 500 dollars but now sold out.

The Pike is a big upgrade for the Sensor and it was number one of my list of upgrades (mine is an Expert Carbon). The rest of the kit I could have lived with but not the fork. Stiffer and much better suspension quality.

mtbr member
    edit
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kneejerk; 04-11-2017 at 08:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Check b limit screw is adjusted correctly, i was having this prob and found that sometimes my d was coming in contact with cassette and ripping it back breaking the hanger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Not a bad idea to see if something else is causing the problem.

mtbr member
    I am switching to 2x10 this time and trying a GS cage rear derailleur to lessen the "weight swing" on that poor hanger out back.

All adjustments are fine and so are my pedalling techniques / shifting techniques. Shimano plus derailleurs only. The first hanger broke with the Deore SGS Plus, second broke with XT SGS Plus... third will be with an XT GS Plus (keeping fingers crossed!), coming soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have the exact same bike and no issues yet. I have only put on about 100 miles on it so far.

Please keep this updated as I would like to see how you were able to get it fixed in case I snap mine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm playing the same game.

I stroked the Sektor out to 150mm and chucked a 60mm stem on it which mad it ride super nice and not so twitchy, but the fork felt super flexy in the rough stuff so I'm on the hunt for a stiffer and more tunable fork.

mtbr member
    edit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picked up a 2015 GT Sensor Elite-beastoftheeast-006.jpg  

Picked up a 2015 GT Sensor Elite-sensor-005.jpg  

Last edited by kneejerk; 04-11-2017 at 07:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    i just ordered that bike and would like to know what to upgrade first?

mtbr member
    I would always say front suspension then second wheels?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    what suspension would you say to upgrade on the front?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    should a go tubeless tires? and would you say get a new rim thats made for tube less or just use the one that is stock and use tape? and what is the lowest psi you can run on a tubeless tire?

mtbr member
    I have a 140mm Pike and it has been perfect with very low maintenance. If you have time you can also find deal on them online.

PSI depends on tires, your weight, riding style and the kinds of trails your ride. I run around 28psi front and rear.

If the stock supports tubeless that would be a good place to start.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    what do you think about the brakes and the derailleur on it?

mtbr member
    If you want to upgrade either do it before you ride as that is how you can get some value for the stuff you sell if not just ride it it and replace if you find it necessary down the line. Plenty of stopping power and the overall build on the bike is great. Spend you money on high quality suspension and wheels that is where you will fell a difference. The stock wheels are not bad either you can just get something the is lighter and stiffer down the line.

Take the time to learn how the bike rides and how you like it and then take it from there. I have a Carbon elite that I have slowly upgraded over the last 3 years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    the deal is i got the bike from performance bikes and they had a 30% thing going on so i have $480 to spend there plus they will price match so i was just think of some upgrades i could do and this is my first hi quality bike I've owned so I'm not sure i will need better suspension yet so if there is anything else you could recommend i would really appreciate it and thank you for your time

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    and are you talking front and back suspension or just front? and what

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    if you would please go look on the performance web site and tell me what fork you would go with?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    and say i do go buy a new fork where would you say i should sell the old one?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Dude, ride the hound out of it and upgrade as u go,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimano-lover View Post
    and say i do go buy a new fork where would you say i should sell the old one?
    Get the Rock Shox Pike 150mm solo air:

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/pike-rct3

No need to upgrade the rear shock but changing the front will make a big difference. Its much stiffer and much higher quality damping.

If they will not do a trade in price for the old fork then sell it on eBay. I sold my Sektor Gold for 250 Dollars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Ok thank you for that information and I was wondering do you guys like the RockShox Reverb 125mm Adjustable Seatpost with Left-Hand RemotePicked up a 2015 GT Sensor Elite-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    how would you trade in your forks is it a web site or just some bike shops do that?

mtbr member
    Maybe they do ask them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Drop out hanger

Quote Originally Posted by kneejerk View Post
    Update 2/27/2016: I just broke my second rear derailleur hanger! I ordered a replacement from SOS Derailleur Hanger hoping it would be of "longer life" and it lasted about 200 miles before snapping clean off down one of my favorite trails. I tried to get GT to upgrade me to the "thru-axle" swing arm with no luck. They can't even give me a part # to order!

So, I believe that GT needs to step up and make a stronger rear derailleur hanger for the QR style frames of this variety. It's overly weak and breaks without any provocation other than riding rough trails! Looking at the hanger it would be pretty easy for them (or aftermarket suppliers) to increase the width of the "break point" for more strength. If I had the machining equipment I'd be making one myself! GT warranty has no answers for me and offers no replacement hangers under warranty. Looks like a Win Win for them as I cannot ride my bike therefore will never get to use my warranty!!

best GT tech support reply I got was: "the hangers are designed to break to save the frame" (or something to that effect)... yes, but, but, but... not JRA!

all I can do now is hope the next one (and probably gonna carry a spare) lasts longer!
    So I've just picked up a GT Elite sensor 2015 literally the hanger snapped after 10 mins, now I'm struggling to find the correct one I need. I know it's a while back but don't suppose you remember which one I need do you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob241210 View Post
    So I've just picked up a GT Elite sensor 2015 literally the hanger snapped after 10 mins, now I'm struggling to find the correct one I need. I know it's a while back but don't suppose you remember which one I need do you?
    Wheels Manufacturing Derailleur Hanger 266

mtbr member
    Its a shame the cheaper versions don't have the option for direct mount its a really nice and strong interface.