mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Lighter, wider wheels on my Sensor..

I'm about to pull the plug on a set of wheels for my 31 lb. 2014 gt sensor expert (alloy). Combined with tubeless it would literally shave 2 lbs off the wheels. Here's the thing.. I'm second guessing things after reading an article which basically said that it's a myth that your bike would feel any different because these changes are just too minimal (we're talking millimetres and ounces)..In my case- about 850 ounces lighter and 3.6 mm wider rims. And the rotational weight difference, in their opinion doesn't really make a difference on a bicycle. Don't know if we're all being duped or what, but I need to make a decision and figured I'd post here.. Maybe I'll be swayed one way or the other....thoughts ?

mtbr member
    I think for overall suspension quality is number one but a strong second is a good wheelset. It will make a huge difference in all areas and I am 100% sure you will feel the difference. One thing you forget is stiffness which is a big plus too. Tubeless alone will be a big difference too. I say if you a happy with the suspension I would spend as much money or even more than you can on the wheels. Some good tires to match is not a bad idea either. I really like the WTB Trail Boss. Light, really good grip and they still roll really well.

WillWorkForTrail
    It makes a difference, for sure. Lighter wheels and tires will let the bike steer and accelerate faster, tubeless allows you to drop a few PSI (I don't advocate getting stupid low with pressures - I ran 32 rear to not pinch, and 30 front, tubeless I dropped that to 30 rear, 27 front) you get a little better traction, which improves cornering and braking. Wider rims are also noticeable. I went from like 19mm ID to 25.5 and the difference was VERY noticeable. People who write articles saying you can't/won't notice this stuff have either not spent enough time on a bike to notice it, or have some reason to dislike the idea, either they can't afford it, or tried to go super super light on an upgrade that was really expensive and broke it. There's always a bias. My take is buy smart, you will notice weight differences, especially that large, especially on the wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cbj2012 View Post
    I think for overall suspension quality is number one but a strong second is a good wheelset. It will make a huge difference in all areas and I am 100% sure you will feel the difference. One thing you forget is stiffness which is a big plus too. Tubeless alone will be a big difference too. I say if you a happy with the suspension I would spend as much money or even more than you can on the wheels. Some good tires to match is not a bad idea either. I really like the WTB Trail Boss. Light, really good grip and they still roll really well.
    Yea I'm happy with my tire combo. ardent rear ( a little slippy but fast and predictable ) and a butcher in front which I highly recommend to anyone. Just debating whether to just go tubeless alone or new wheels too. Will make a decision today..

mtbr member
    Cool that sounds like a nice tire combo too.

What wheels are you looking at?

Tons of good deal like Giant carbon wheelset for 400 dollars on ebay

2014 Giant PXCR 1c Carbon Wheels 27 5" 650B Carbon Fiber Rims Tubeless Wheelset | eBay

Or why not a Enve wheelset

Enve DT Swiss 27 5 650B Wheelset | eBay

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Cool that sounds like a nice tire combo too.

What wheels are you looking at?

Tons of good deal like Giant carbon wheelset for 400 dollars on ebay

2014 Giant PXCR 1c Carbon Wheels 27 5" 650B Carbon Fiber Rims Tubeless Wheelset | eBay

Or why not a Enve wheelset

Enve DT Swiss 27 5 650B Wheelset | eBay
    Well, I ordered them.. Velocity Blunt SS wheelset with bhs hubs. 26.6mm inner width, 1500 grams. I was concerned with them just being too light for alloy rims, but I'm only 150lbs so hopefully I'll be alright. I'm in ny- east coast riding can be pretty rocky and I like to go fast We'll see how they hold up - not gonna go crazy low on pressure.

mtbr member
    Tubeless is really cool! At first I had them done in a shop, as I didn't have a compressor at that time. There was some some trouble getting the pressure stable on my Continentals every few days, and made me go the nearest gas station tons of times. It was a little bit frustrating. Then after I bought a compressor and started doing it at home, it never gave any more trouble! I haven't got a flat in almost a year after going tubeless.

mtbr member
    Honestly, you will feel it. Heck, you can feel the difference is tires with good RR and tires with poor RR, regardless of weight. Two pounds of rotational weight will be obvious.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Dammit.. now I'm second guessing my choice of wheels.. I do this sometimes. Started reading too many negative reviews after I ordered.. they might be better suited for more xc type riding from what I read. At that weight, there's probably gonna be a compromise somewhere. Well anyway, too late now..I'll either try them out and hope they don't dent too easily or contact the pinkbike seller and see about returning or exchanging for easton arcs.

WillWorkForTrail
    You only weigh 150? I wouldn't sweat it too much, just keep enough air in the tires to keep the rims from hitting the rocks too hard. Honestly, I run Rolfs on my FS bike that gets beat on pretty hard - I cane it through rock sections, relying more on power than real skill, and the Rolfs hold up for me (230lbs) so I figure someone lighter shouldn't have an issue with those wheels you're getting. Their width lends them a little extra strength too.

mtbr member
    It will be interesting to see how stiff they are but I agree with Cotharyus run the right pressure and you should be fine. I am 165 and I run 28 psi with a 2.4 front and 2.2 rear. I may run a little less up front. I ride a lot in New Jersey with tons of rocks. 1500g is a really good weight I think you are going to really enjoy the wheels.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    Well, I ordered them.. Velocity Blunt SS wheelset with bhs hubs. 26.6mm inner width, 1500 grams. I was concerned with them just being too light for alloy rims, but I'm only 150lbs so hopefully I'll be alright. I'm in ny- east coast riding can be pretty rocky and I like to go fast We'll see how they hold up - not gonna go crazy low on pressure.
    Curious if you got wheels rolling yet?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Curious if you got wheels rolling yet?
    Yes I've ridden them a few times. Haven't had the chance to post, but I gotta say..so far they're great. Plenty stiff..and the low weight is so much more noticeable than I anticipated..and they set up tubeless really easy. Love em so far. The combo of these wheels and tubeless has transformed my bike. I'm running around 28 psi f/r..

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    Yes I've ridden them a few times. Haven't had the chance to post, but I gotta say..so far they're great. Plenty stiff..and the low weight is so much more noticeable than I anticipated..and they set up tubeless really easy. Love em so far. The combo of these wheels and tubeless has transformed my bike. I'm running around 28 psi f/r..
    Yeah I've been looking at the Blunts and at 140#'s I think since I run good volume 2.2's they'll be fine for me. I was actually in thread topics checking out the Sensors after seeing the reasonable prices on the carbon models. Wondering tho if getting the alloy model and upgrade to carbon wheels wouldn't be a bad idea either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Yeah I've been looking at the Blunts and at 140#'s I think since I run good volume 2.2's they'll be fine for me. I was actually in thread topics checking out the Sensors after seeing the reasonable prices on the carbon models. Wondering tho if getting the alloy model and upgrade to carbon wheels wouldn't be a bad idea either.
    Yea I don't think you could go wrong either way.. Alloy with a few upgrades and light wheels feels great. Although I'm sure I'd love a carbon Sensor, just never rode one. Jenson had a good deal on a carbon expert- I think 2015..not sure if they still do though. Anyway, I'd recommend this bike all day. Puts a smile on my face every time.

mtbr member
    2014 Sensor Carbon Team for 3199 full XTR

GT Sensor Carbon Team Complete Mountain Bike - 2014 | Competitive Cyclist

The E13 wheels are brilliant.

I would make a few changes to the bike but what an amazing starting point.

NedwannaB
    2014 Sensor Carbon Team for 3199 full XTR

GT Sensor Carbon Team Complete Mountain Bike - 2014 | Competitive Cyclist

The E13 wheels are brilliant.

I would make a few changes to the bike but what an amazing starting point.
    That is a badass build. Wonder what changes were made on the '15-'16' frames.

mtbr member
    The 14 frame has not change however the went from using the same swingarm as on the Force to using the Helion. Also small changes to the how the pivot is attached. I have a 14 Sensor and its been flawless.