mtbr member
    May 2014

New question here. GT Sensor Shock Problems / Possible Upgrade

Has anybody upgraded their shock on their AOS equipped sensor yet? I've had mine for a little over a year and had to rebuild the shock. I've been riding for about 6 months on the rebuilt shock and it just started blowing air by the seal when preloaded for jumps. Other than jumps in our jump line, it does great!

Should I upgrade the shock or rebuild the one I have?
    I run around 250 psi in the shock (I'm a bigger rider ~225 lbs) in order to get the feel i want (max is 300). Am I setting it up wrong?
    If I replace the shock what would you go with?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anybody?

mtbr member
    Upgrade to what I think that is the question.

Who rebuild you shock?

There are also companies that can help both rebuild and maybe setup the shock better for you like Push or Avalanche

Float CTD and RP23 SSD Modifications

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Fox themselves rebuilt it. I am also under the impression that it was revalved for a heavier rider.

@bj2012, Thank you for the link. Do you recommend Avalanche over Push, or vise versa? Also, would you recommend going with a different shock or staying with my Fox?

mtbr member
    I have no experience with either of them unfortunately but both are very reputable. I would give both a call and see what they can offer if you go that route. I know people who have used both companies and have been happy.

If Fox did the service and it only lasted 6 month I would try to talk to Fox first and see what they could do. I of course do not know how much you ride but I would think it should last longer than that.

mtbr member
    I had the largest volume spacer fitted to my shock last year and it has helped it from bottoming out. I'm only 170lbs though and last time I checked had 125psi in my rear shock.

Also attempted to fit an Corset sleeve to my shock but it doesn't fit the Sensor sadly. Being a smaller size shock does limit the options available.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'm also curious about possible upgrades. I checked the DB Inline shock as it comes with the right measurement (184 x 44 mm), but sadly they don't fit the frame. The new Fox DPS shocks do fit (non EVOL), as do some Rockshox Monarchs. (CR have the RS XX on sale right now...) But I think the Sensor would benefit from a more linear shock like RS DebonAirs. I believe DebonAir cans have a maximum diameter of 50,4 mm, which means you could possibly squeeze them into the frame, but I've never seen a Sensor with it.
    Questions: Does anyone know if a 184x44 DebonAir will fit this frame? I have a -14 Sensor Pro with a stock Fox Float BV and the shock feels too progressive. Does anyone know if the Fox shocks on the Sensor comes stock with spacers? Thanks!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuff View Post
    Does anyone know if the Fox shocks on the Sensor comes stock with spacers? Thanks!
    I found that mine had the smallest volume spacer fitted from stock when i got it swapped out.

Cane creek looks interesting, but I'm doubious if the switch on the rear will clear or not. Possibly mount it upside down? I'd be interested to see someone try to fit it for sure.

mtbr member
    I have a Sensor AOS and run about my rider weight in psi in the shock (for comparison). I put a bigger than stock (which was medium) large volume reducer for more progression with the air spring and like it. I haven't had problems with my shock but, then I am quite a bit lighter at 160lbs. If I were to upgrade I would be looking at the new Fox DPS shocks as they work awesome!

... I've actually gone back to the "medium" volume reducer that was supplied with the bike... and finding it better than my "mod" attempt of a larger volume reducer...
    Last edited by kneejerk; 03-05-2017 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I bought a DB Inline for my Sensor and almost cried when it wouldn't fit thought the shock tunnel. I am currently running a SR Suntour UnAir to match my SR Auron, and I am really impressed when seated or going down. It just doesn't respond like I wanted when standing. However, it is setup stock for a more linear leverage ratio, so I am currently trying to figure it out a good material to use as a volume spacer. But it was a huge pain to get a hold of. I had to buy it from a bike shop in England.

mtbr member
    for a volume reducer, I've used Fox Float air chamber fluid... add in 10cc (ml) increments... works just fine for me!

Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    I bought a DB Inline for my Sensor and almost cried when it wouldn't fit thought the shock tunnel. I am currently running a SR Suntour UnAir to match my SR Auron, and I am really impressed when seated or going down. It just doesn't respond like I wanted when standing. However, it is setup stock for a more linear leverage ratio, so I am currently trying to figure it out a good material to use as a volume spacer. But it was a huge pain to get a hold of. I had to buy it from a bike shop in England.