mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Gt Sensor chainstay length

Well- I have a 2014 Sensor that I really love.. great suspension design, stable, pedals well, etc.. But I'm liking the trend of longer tt, shorter chainstays, slacker hta yada yada. My GT manages to be a blast without these features.. I could slacken it a little by adding travel but don't know if I wanna go past 140mm. My main thing is that the stays are 440mm which is considered long and I'm wondering how much that affects stuff like cornering and manualing. Other "new geometry" bikes I've ridden really have seemed better at those things. I guess it's a tradeoff, but anyway I'm curious about Sensor owners experiences..Have you noticed what kinda seems like a little understeer in corners..and more difficulty manualing, hopping, etc ? Again, I really like this bike but I guess I wish it had more flickabity, if that's the right term. So there ya go.. Thoughts ?
    Last edited by mannyfnz; 01-20-2016 at 06:41 PM.

WillWorkForTrail
    Well, 27.5 wheels were supposed to cure all those things from the 29er fad, right? My experience on the Sensor is that it was a little like driving a tractor. There was no where it wouldn't go, and while I'm not saying it wasn't fast enough, it never felt fast doing it. But I can't say I had any real issues with it. In fact, it's such a solid, confidence inspiring bike, that I bought my wife one to make trail riding easier for her. She loves hers.

mtbr member
    Regarding the front I run 140mm and it has had no effect on my climbing abilities of the bike. I think you would easily run 150mm and get the bike slacked out a little bit more. The higher bb should be no problem as the bb is really low.

If you are talking the current Sensor I think it has modern geo? I have not looked at geo on the very latest bikes but I think we are talking nuances more than ride altering performance. My own experience is what really matters are wheels and tires for grip if you want to corner fast using the dropper helps too. As for manualing that is more down to skills just look at people on super long DH bikes having no problem manuling.

I think were you will see a real difference is performance of the suspension design. Single pivot vs DW link vs horst link vs AOS etc. I think sure there will be other bikes that will jump better than the Sensor.

For me this will be the third season on the Sensor and I really have the setup where I want it. For me this is what really makes a difference and I can focus on having fun and riding faster which really was very clear to me on my last rides of 2015. Its easy to focus on some small details on a bike and forget all the strengths that makes it a good bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yea- it is an excellent bike, no doubt. I'm gonna switch to 140 in front regardless. And I might go with a little shorter stem- I'm at 70mm only because the bike's already a bit short and steep, but 60 might be ok..then will go up to 750 on the bars. I'll steal my wife's new stumpjumper at times if I feel like switching to bmx mode..

mtbr member
    I am 187cm. I have 35mm stem and 785mm bars. I have long legs and short upperbody so I always ride shorter stems regardless.

Over Christmas I saw some really good deals on RS Pike. I had mine lowered to 140mm but I think I would just have installed it at stock 150mm today and tested that first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Does your model Sensor have the wtb wheels.. If so, have you upgraded? I'm looking at a set that are substantially lighter(same width) and curious if there's a noticeable difference. And I may have asked this before, but does 140 feel different in any way from the stock 130 in front ? Maybe I'll start at 150mm ..just don't wanna make any changes that are too drastic..

mtbr member
    I never rode it with the 130mm for but went directly to 140mm.

I also never rode the WTB wheels but found a deal on the E13 wheels which are good and now great after I have started running them tubeless. The bike just feels much more agile.

I have seen good prices on used wheelsets. I would buy carbon now and a probably wider vs my 2013 E13 wheelset. Nothing like a good wheelset to bring a bike to life.

WillWorkForTrail
    Maybe this is good time to bring this up. I have a friend with a carbon sensor, he put an Auron on it, travel adjust 130-160. You can also set it to anywhere in between. HE said - for trails, 130 feels pretty good when you're pedaling and turning. Getting much longer in the front and you can feel it start to get sluggish, and at 160, it gets so slow you have to start anticipating turns. However, when going down a rowdy section of trail with some nice rocks and drops, going to 160 makes it "a walk in the park" to fly through it. Your mileage may vary.

For the record, he did a complete build up on the frame. Fulcrum Red Metal wheels, XO1 or XX1 - his sensor weighs 25.5 lbs.

mtbr member
    Cotharyus, I take it this is a '15/'16 model? I just sold my '14 Trance and likely getting a '16 sensor so should be an interesting switch! I loved the Trance but the fork had to go. Interestingly I thought the sensor felt instantly more nimble overall and didn't miss the 10mm on the rear end but didn't have any sketchy downs to mess with. I was originally looking at a transition scout but couldn't get on one so my sensor will be ordered within a week. I will eventually give some feedback in the spring.

Edit: I also demoed a kona process that same weekend and loved it, size L fit like a glove. What swayed me was the deal I got on the GT basically. But I have no brand loyalty and if the GT bugs me it'll be gone quick and maybe I'll be on the process, just wish there was a ti option and I'd be all over that bike.
    Last edited by Zillah; 01-22-2016 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Spelling and kona process

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for that info. That's why I an careful about too much more travel. I do like it at 130 in front and would consider an angleset to slacken it a touch, but I don't think the frame accepts them.. Anyway, I got some things I wanna do like wheels, etc..just gotta convince the wife about spending the cash..

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillah View Post
    Cotharyus, I take it this is a '15/'16 model? I just sold my '14 Trance and likely getting a '16 sensor so should be an interesting switch! I loved the Trance but the fork had to go. Interestingly I thought the sensor felt instantly more nimble overall and didn't miss the 10mm on the rear end but didn't have any sketchy downs to mess with. I was originally looking at a transition scout but couldn't get on one so my sensor will be ordered within a week. I will eventually give some feedback in the spring.

Edit: I also demoed a kona process that same weekend and loved it, size L fit like a glove. What swayed me was the deal I got on the GT basically. But I have no brand loyalty and if the GT bugs me it'll be gone quick and maybe I'll be on the process, just wish there was a ti option and I'd be all over that bike.
    I think you'll love the Sensor. My quibbles about chainstay length and ht angle are pretty minor considering how well the bike pedals..it climbs great and the aos rear suspension is fantastic. The bike feels pretty firm when gassing it and plush when you need it. The dropper post is great too..I never realized how much it helps, but now I never wanna ride without one. Anyway, good luck and enjoy..

WillWorkForTrail
    I can't promise what his Sensor is. It might be a 14 or it might be a 15. At some point, they made the chainstays a little thinner - his are the ones that are still a bit thicker. For what it's worth, I put some thoughts on the Sensor vs Trance in this thread after riding a local guy's Trance and riding a demo sensor from the shop. It appears that I actually get to eat the words "I won't be spending money on this bike" since I bought one for my wife this month.

http://forums.mtbr.com/gt/2014-gt-se...ke-895136.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold your horses. The current GT's are considered modern geometry, and are even used as an example by Kirk Pecenti of bikes with longer top tubes, and 440 chainstays are not long. in last year's Bike Magazine Bible test they commented on how short the chainstays were. You can look the video up. The bike only came with 130mm forks in 2014, for 2015 once you got above a certain price point they came with 150mm forks. Look for reviews of the 2015 Sensor X. Most people said they didn't notice any loss of flickabilty. I'm the one with the Carbon Pro (with the custom build). The fork actually will go from 120-160 claimed, although my Micrometer is telling me just under 130 to 170mm. But lord knows. Anyway, its not like Fox's TA, and you can set it anywhere. I will put it at about 130mm, and on a long rowdy ride it will start to slip a bit. 140 doesn't bother me, but much beyond that and I start getting annoyed. I found 160mm mode, with the 760mm bar, and 60mm stem with 15mm of spacers underneath was quite annoying in switch back and slow speeds period. Going down in faster stuff was no problem. Which was to be expected. Mind you I don't think having the fork all the way out is better, it simply allows me to do dumber things with less skill and not get hurt doing so.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    . Mind you I don't think having the fork all the way out is better, it simply allows me to do dumber things with less skill and not get hurt doing so.
    Bwahahaha! Thanks for showing up amigo, I'm surprised you didn't chime in earlier. For what it's worth, this pretty much summarizes how I feel about suspension, in general.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The bible of bike tests video was wrong..they're not sub 17" stays- they're 17.3 which is definitely not the new trend. But either way, now I'm thinking it's a little less nimble also due to where a chunk of the weight is .. These Sensors have a lot of mass down low near the bottom bracket. That was done purposely for added stability which I like..but it's probably a small tradeoff as well as far as throwing it around. Btw, I have the alloy version-around 30lbs now, so probably significantly heavier than your carbon, so maybe that's part of it.. Having said that.. I love this bike..still super fun.

mtbr member
    It's the opposite: weight low => lower center of gravity => easier to move around. Same reason why BB has gotten lower too and mountain bikes.

Lower weight will also help move the bike around and 30lbs is pretty hefty for a trail bike. If you want improve it my best advice is 1) Tubeless 2) Lighter wheelset. There is nothing like how a light and stiff wheelset will improve a ride.

@jazclrint good input. Also if somebody wanted more than 140mm my advice would be to move to the Force.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cbj2012 View Post
    It's the opposite: weight low => lower center of gravity => easier to move around. Same reason why BB has gotten lower too and mountain bikes.

Lower weight will also help move the bike around and 30lbs is pretty hefty for a trail bike. If you want improve it my best advice is 1) Tubeless 2) Lighter wheelset. There is nothing like how a light and stiff wheelset will improve a ride.

@jazclrint good input. Also if somebody wanted more than 140mm my advice would be to move to the Force.
    I dunno- I've never heard of having a mass of the weight lower on the bike equated to making it more flickable..But more stable, yes. Btw, 30 lbs is pretty typical for an alloy trail bike, especially in the 2500-3k range. I definitely wanna get lighter wheels at some point for sure..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you lower things to get the weight of the bike more centralized (I'm thinking Honda and Buell sport bikes kind of thinking) then that would be for better flick-a-bility.

If you are looking for the cause of your feeling of less flickbility I'd look at the wheel base and your handlebar stem combo. But I know for sure is that the demo I rode had a 740mm bar mounted to an 80mm stem. I put a 690mm bar on that thing all of a sudden it was a hole lot more flickable. Damn near perfect. Put a shorter stem on, or narrow your bar.

mtbr member
    Well we have not defined flickable but if you are talking about changing position like going from left to right having your mass lower will be an advantage. The lower part of the bike has to move much less than the top of the bike. The added stability gained from the lower center of gravity also helps making it easier to move the bike without tipping over. Like if you do what what is taught in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzNRl8hRKJU

Trying to read into more of this online I realized it's not easy to say much as so many factors plays a part.

Personally I always find I am the leading cause if there are flickability issues

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cbj2012 View Post
    Well we have not defined flickable but if you are talking about changing position like going from left to right having your mass lower will be an advantage. The lower part of the bike has to move much less than the top of the bike. The added stability gained from the lower center of gravity also helps making it easier to move the bike without tipping over. Like if you do what what is taught in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzNRl8hRKJU

Trying to read into more of this online I realized it's not easy to say much as so many factors plays a part.

Personally I always find I am the leading cause if there are flickability issues
    This has absolutely nothing to do with your last post, but I just came back from riding and man, I really like this bike. I got no snow, but apparently Stewart state forest did.. decided to ride it anyway and what a blast! Anyway, I realize that my main thing right now is slackening it out a little - it's just a bit too xc-ish steep . I really wish an angleset would work with this frame- Guess I'll go to 140 up front to help a tiny bit, although I really like it at 130mm. We'll see.. glad it has a dropper though- makes a huge difference..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    As I have an adjustable fork I know for certain the longer the fork the slacker the bike. You might be happy with the 150, if not then the 140 sounds like it would be the sweet spot for you.

Really glad to hear you're having a blast! Me too.