Thread: GT Rebound ??

mtbr member

GT Rebound ??

Hi, i was curious if anyone is familiar with this bike ? I am looking to get my first bike in a long time, and was looking to spend $500-$700 at the LBS...But, I am also considering used...I found this one advertised locally...I was curious if it is not too outdated, and if the frame is light enough where it would be worth to upgrade anything that might be needed...They only want $75 for this bike...thanks.

GT Rebound ??-gtrebound.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

GT Rebounds

Hi RollingBuffalo, I'm Yuri and I am part of the GT Coalition which is a brand ambassador group for GT Bicycles, so let me give you my thoughts on this: I own a 1998 Rebound and it's a solid bike I've used for several MTB bike races and trials. Solid bike, plus building up classic bikes is a big hobby of mine.

The bike in the picture you provided is for someone well above 6'2" or at least some long legs. It's inexpensive and that's great but it sounds like you have a pricepoint and GT has a lot of cool bikes at killer deals like this Pantera. Heck, a little bit more and you could get a Zaskar Elite!

GT Pantera Sport Bike 2018 | Jenson USA
    GT Zaskar Elite 2017 Bike | Jenson USA
    GT Avalanche Bike 2018 | Jenson USA

As a guy who mods classic GTs (I also own GTs in the 2012-2018 range too), upgrading is going to be a challenge for cost and parts accessibility reasons but here's a prime example of why:
    That fork on that bike is probably worn out, never seen service and finding a replacement fork, like a contemporary and very good Rock Shox XC30 is ballpark $170 USD. These days, it's hard to find 1 1/8 straight steerer tubes, canti-boss equipped decent forks unless you want to dump another $200 on a front disc brake set up meaning you'll have to swap out the fork, buy a rotor, disc compatible front wheel, front disc brake and labor to install it.

With a new bike, you'll get lots of good contemporary parts, a brand spanking new warranty, and if you're buying from a bike shop, maybe some free/discounted extras. Plus, register your bike on GT's website and you'll get a discount code to for clothes by Sombrio.

Cheap is good if you need a very basic means of transportation like commuting but to answer your question, yes, that GT is very outdated for a lot of reasons and while inexpensive might be good, thinking about it this way:

If you spent $75 on a bike just because it was cheap and end up not riding it so much as opposed to spending $500 on a bike that motivates you to ride every chance you get, are you saving $425 or just wasted $75?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Rebound ??-12017677_10104482920732818_935152725369297000_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Its going to depend on the type of riding you plan to do. That bike, although GT frames are pretty solid, is not going to be worth the upgrades needed to get it to where is needs to be. If you just looking to do some urban riding, light trails, thats a good start. If your looking to start XC biking, i would recommmend spending the 500-700 on a new GT or Trek with some disc brakes and a modern drivetrain.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingBuffalo View Post
    Hi, i was curious if anyone is familiar with this bike ? I am looking to get my first bike in a long time, and was looking to spend $500-$700 at the LBS...But, I am also considering used...I found this one advertised locally...I was curious if it is not too outdated, and if the frame is light enough where it would be worth to upgrade anything that might be needed...They only want $75 for this bike...thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gtRebound.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	1198269
    I wouldn’t buy that if U have a budget of 5-7 I would buy something newer determine what kind of riding u want to do and go see what ur local store has and test ride, unless u just need transportation or a bike to get u from point A to point B I would say that bikes not worth buying and upgrading anything on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks for your replies guys...I am definitely going to consider a new GT....

Question...If I get say like a $500 mtn bike new, how much is it going to cost me for a decent set of forks to upgrade ? btw, I am handy with tools and would do the swap myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Given most, if not all new GTs in the $500 price range are equipped with an entry level SR Suntour, I have good news for you!

SR Suntour has a very generous upgrade discount program and would love to keep you interested in the Suntour brand, so you might be able to get a $300 for $190!

For the money, the more premium Suntour forks are good and true, not as great as a Fox, Sram, Marz or Manitou fork BUT for say, for $100 off MSRP by Suntour, their air adjustable forks are a great value without hitting the $500 mark.

SR Suntour forks
    https://www.srsuntour.com/collections/forks

SR Suntour upgrade program
    https://www.srsuntour.com/pages/upgrade

Jenson USA does have some great prices but if you're going to buy a GT and want to upgrade the fork sometime in the future, I'd HIGHLY, HIGHLY SUGGEST getting GT with a TAPERED headtube as your upgrade options will be much more broad. In addition, depending on what fork you get, that will dictate if you will need to change out your front wheel because some are 15/20 mm thru axle and some, less these days are still 9mm quick release. Knowledge is key before you buy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yfrnaks View Post
    Given most, if not all new GTs in the $500 price range are equipped with an entry level SR Suntour, I have good news for you!

SR Suntour has a very generous upgrade discount program and would love to keep you interested in the Suntour brand, so you might be able to get a $300 for $190!

For the money, the more premium Suntour forks are good and true, not as great as a Fox, Sram, Marz or Manitou fork BUT for say, for $100 off MSRP by Suntour, their air adjustable forks are a great value without hitting the $500 mark.

SR Suntour forks
    https://www.srsuntour.com/collections/forks

SR Suntour upgrade program
    https://www.srsuntour.com/pages/upgrade

Jenson USA does have some great prices but if you're going to buy a GT and want to upgrade the fork sometime in the future, I'd HIGHLY, HIGHLY SUGGEST getting GT with a TAPERED headtube as your upgrade options will be much more broad. In addition, depending on what fork you get, that will dictate if you will need to change out your front wheel because some are 15/20 mm thru axle and some, less these days are still 9mm quick release. Knowledge is key before you buy!
    Awesome yfrnaks....thanks for that information !

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Anytime, glad to always help current and hopefully future GT MTB/BMX owners. Hit me up anytime.