mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Gt Avalanche 2007 headset help

I purchased a replacement fork for my 2007 gt avalanche 3.0 that I converted to single speed. I removed the old busted fork and put everything back together the way it was when I took it apart.

The problem is that the cane creek tange seiki headset doesnít seem to want to fit together like it once did. Iím pretty sure I put it together properly, it just doesnít seem to want to fit back together snugly.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to get it back together snugly, or perhaps recommendations on a drop in replacement headset?

I can take some photos if needed.

Thanks!

pic for clicks:
    Gt Avalanche 2007 headset help-c33dc6e7-a826-4a23-a022-2e467440bb33.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Gt Avalanche 2007 headset help

Is the steerer on the new fork longer than the old one? U may just need another spacer under ur stem or too cap to draw it all together tighter

Edit also if this is ur first fork swap, did u swap the lower race from ur old fork to the new one ?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Oh yeah, I've had that problem with the Tange Seiki headsets and they're a royal pain to deal with. Honestly, it's had a good run and I'd recommend retiring it.

For the money, the Origin8 Pro Threadless isn't bad but the crown race is plastic (mine was in 2014, might have changed). Slides on easy but it feels cheap.

A very quality headset is the FSA Orbit MX which are offered in several colors, super easy to install and based on my experience with them, have held up really well in muddy and dusty weather. If you shop around, you can find them offered for as little as $30 USD.

You'll spend a long time trying to dial in a Tange headset everytime any component around it is being changed, so I'd say just replace it with something easy and modern.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by yfrnaks View Post
    Oh yeah, I've had that problem with the Tange Seiki headsets and they're a royal pain to deal with. Honestly, it's had a good run and I'd recommend retiring it.

For the money, the Origin8 Pro Threadless isn't bad but the crown race is plastic (mine was in 2014, might have changed). Slides on easy but it feels cheap.

A very quality headset is the FSA Orbit MX which are offered in several colors, super easy to install and based on my experience with them, have held up really well in muddy and dusty weather. If you shop around, you can find them offered for as little as $30 USD.

You'll spend a long time trying to dial in a Tange headset everytime any component around it is being changed, so I'd say just replace it with something easy and modern.
    So the FSA orbit MX is a drop in replacement? I donít mind spending $30-40 to have this thing working well.

FSA Orbit MX Headset https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037N7S66..._hCecBbBNE0ZDB

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'd reach out the FSA just to be sure. I don't have an integrated so I had to press in mine. But FSA has a lot of options and their expertise has beenn reliable to me.

Support | Full Speed Ahead

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I found this online and it loooks like the fsa orbit z is what I need

http://forums.mtbr.com/gt/2007-gt-av...ty-570856.html

Thanks for your help!

Sneaker man
    when you say doesn't go back together right, what exactly is wrong? As manuelS said, could just be the amount of spacers (been there done that, was so proud of how I got the top of the stem exact with the steerer...whoops).
    And just to clarify, we are talking about a integrated, drop in headset, not an semi-integrated or external
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Just wanted to post an update that replacing the Tange Seiki headset with an FSA Orbit Z took care of the issue and it works flawlessly now.