Everything Gt Lts - Page 6- Mtbr.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 1,001 to 1,171 of 1171
    I grabbed a 98 lts 2000 a couple of days ago, I am in the process of figuring out what I want to do with it. It's not here yet so I don't know in person what all needs to be replaced but the owner says it has a new fox vanilla on it and that the bushings are all fine.

I can obsess over stuff like this; I loved these bikes back in the day and I got this one for very little money. I want to order needle bearings especially but in general, all bearings from BETD but am thinking that may not be the best plan. I could buy a decent used newer frame for the price of all the bearings and this frame.

I think I am going to enjoy it for what it is, an old design that has nostalgic value and ride it till I don't like it anymore or until it is so loose that I can't fix it.

My obsessive thing makes me want those needle bearings especially, but my normal self (and the wife) thinks it's kind of overkill for what is essentially a fun bike and not my essential mountain bike.

Am I missing anything with this approach?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey Ganze,

I don't think you're missing anything, I think we are coming from two different directions. You already have another bike(s) and the LTS is going to be a side thing which is a cool position to be in. Me, the LTS is my only mtn bike so I decided to pretty much bring the whole bike up to current (including ordering the BETD bearings for all the pivots.) I think paying $200USD for all of the was a bit obscene but now I know I will no longer have to worry about hard to find parts. I imagine with routine maintenance, the needle bearings will last a very long time. Even if they get bad, they can be rebuilt unlike the bushings.

Right now I am in $1200. $200 bike and $1k for everything else which almost will make it a new bike. My bike is all stock from 1998 and was hardly ever used which I think is rare. Would I have dumped that much into the LTS if I already had a good FS mtn bike, no. But given it is currently my only rig, I just bit the bullet (I can be obsessively paranoid like you.)

Hope this helps. I cannot wait to start working on mine but I am still waiting on parts to come in and set aside a couple days to explode the bike, reassemble and dial in.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganze View Post
    I grabbed a 98 lts 2000 a couple of days ago, I am in the process of figuring out what I want to do with it. It's not here yet so I don't know in person what all needs to be replaced but the owner says it has a new fox vanilla on it and that the bushings are all fine.

I can obsess over stuff like this; I loved these bikes back in the day and I got this one for very little money. I want to order needle bearings especially but in general, all bearings from BETD but am thinking that may not be the best plan. I could buy a decent used newer frame for the price of all the bearings and this frame.

I think I am going to enjoy it for what it is, an old design that has nostalgic value and ride it till I don't like it anymore or until it is so loose that I can't fix it.

My obsessive thing makes me want those needle bearings especially, but my normal self (and the wife) thinks it's kind of overkill for what is essentially a fun bike and not my essential mountain bike.

Am I missing anything with this approach?
    Last edited by pldsns525; 07-24-2013 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Today is a sad day, I have decided to sell my mint 96/97 GT STS DH.
    It is a complete bike made from the available frame kit (Rock Shox DHO, AC components etc)
    Shes a medium and currently living in the uk.

Inbox for photos. Can send worldwide....offers

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Lts-1 xr-1000

Here is my LTS-1 XR-1000 not sure how much is original
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-img_1178%5B1%5D.jpg  

mmm dirt
    Oct 2011
    So I'm hoping my fellow lts owners can help me out with some choices. Most of my bike is equipped with 2000 is xtr shifters and derailers and I have a sweet caramba double barrel crank with nickel plated real rings and a cane creek ti bottom bracket. I recently just picked up an old trek h/t for mY wife that has some pretty crappy components so I'm wanting to hand down my xtr shifters and derailers to her bike as well as my old xtr v brakes and wheels. And to top it off I'm handing ber down MY 99 sid xc long travel fork. So my choices to be tbought about is new wheels, fork and drivetrain. I'm know I want xtr shifters and derailers but I xont know if I should do 2x9 1x10 or 2x10. I really want to keep my crank because its rare super stiff and oh so pretty to look at, the rings I can do with or with out. As far as wbeel choices I already have disc up front and I have the rear plus the adapter to make it work. BUt I'm lacking a full set of wheels. There are way to many choices in that department and I'm not to concerned with weight. As far as forks I think this is my hardest thing to deal with. I love my sid I really do but its kinda old and flexy and it just dosent seem to have enough travel anymore, it was great for xc racing bUt my riding style has gotten more aggressive compared to my race days so I feel its time for something that can take some hard hits and keep going. I know tbis frame is only made to handle 100mm but I know people here have gone bigger, how much bigger can I go? I live in fl and travel in the southeast to ride I weigh 145 lbs and kinda ride like a kamikaze lol. Sorry for the long read ut I've been going over all this in my head for weeks and would love some suggestions. My baby needs a modern update so please help me out. Thanks guys. I can post some pics if wanted, I have a few up here already I think.

GT_LTS_XC_AM
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xcmrx View Post
    So I'm hoping my fellow lts owners can help me out with some choices. Most of my bike is equipped with 2000 is xtr shifters and derailers and I have a sweet caramba double barrel crank with nickel plated real rings and a cane creek ti bottom bracket. I recently just picked up an old trek h/t for mY wife that has some pretty crappy components so I'm wanting to hand down my xtr shifters and derailers to her bike as well as my old xtr v brakes and wheels. And to top it off I'm handing ber down MY 99 sid xc long travel fork. So my choices to be tbought about is new wheels, fork and drivetrain. I'm know I want xtr shifters and derailers but I xont know if I should do 2x9 1x10 or 2x10. I really want to keep my crank because its rare super stiff and oh so pretty to look at, the rings I can do with or with out. As far as wbeel choices I already have disc up front and I have the rear plus the adapter to make it work. BUt I'm lacking a full set of wheels. There are way to many choices in that department and I'm not to concerned with weight. As far as forks I think this is my hardest thing to deal with. I love my sid I really do but its kinda old and flexy and it just dosent seem to have enough travel anymore, it was great for xc racing bUt my riding style has gotten more aggressive compared to my race days so I feel its time for something that can take some hard hits and keep going. I know tbis frame is only made to handle 100mm but I know people here have gone bigger, how much bigger can I go? I live in fl and travel in the southeast to ride I weigh 145 lbs and kinda ride like a kamikaze lol. Sorry for the long read ut I've been going over all this in my head for weeks and would love some suggestions. My baby needs a modern update so please help me out. Thanks guys. I can post some pics if wanted, I have a few up here already I think.
    Hi xcmrx,

The best choice comes down to your personal preference in riding. What type of riding do you enjoy and do most?

If it is climbing, go with the 1 X 10 and emphasize low gearing. Pick a front chainring that give you the best sweet spot for spinning. The advantages include no need for a front shifter, no need for a front derailleur, and no wasted time shifting the front chainring. The disadvantage is a little loss in the range of gearing and less weight. Again choose your chainring carefully or have several sizes with a couple lengths of chains. The long stem length that comes stock with the LTS is good for climbing. Narrow bars for clearance around bushes and trees.

If you like technical downhills, not ďkamikazeĒ, but steep trails that require you and your bike to move as one and pick your lines, then a 2 X 10 would be the best. The gearing should be a low as you can get. Letís face it, you have to suffer through the climb to enjoy the downhill. The 2 X 10 would give you the gearing range to do both climbing and the ability to pop over obstacles, with a quick poke at the pedals and lift on the bars. The suggestion for the stem is go shorter, about 50mm to 65mm. Keep your weight behind the front axle. You will probably need wider bars for better leverage on single tracks and ruts.

If you like blasting fast on the downhills, there are limits to what the LTS will do. The downhill setup, you would want a softer rear suspension, lots of sag. Here a longer travel fork would help, but only up to a point. I would leave the gravity runs to the heavier downhill specific bikes. The 3 x 10 or 2 x 10 would be the best. Pick taller gearing (bigger chainrings). In some cases, donít even use the granny, ever.
    The fork is important to match what you ride most. Donít get roped into buying a fork for a section you do only a small percentage of the time. It sounds like you need something in between a cross-country and all-mountain. The LTS should fit a 120mm travel well. I use this setup. Please keep in mind. Most 120mm forks have adjustable travel. Some support 80mm, 100mm and 120mm on the same fork. The draw back to a longer travel fork is the ride height, which puts the frame angle towards the rear wheel and makes climbing a harder balancing act. Adjustable forks only adjust the travel, the amount of compression, not ride height. If you ride mostly cross-country, the shorter travel is best. Focus on the quality of the travel. I like having adjustability for preload, compression dampening, and rebound dampening. My current choice lacks the adjustable compression dampening. Make your choice carefully. For the stem, go short as possible with handle bar as wide as possible.

For the wheels, since you already have an adapter for a disc, go with a disc specific wheetset. For your weight, stick to light weight features. Designs to look for are straight pull spokes (less likely to break and stays true longer), good sealed bearings, and reinforced rim eyelets for the nipples.

About the crank, if you want to keep the crank and chainrings, your choice. The only drawback is loss of quick shifting in front. I suggest you check the spacing between the chainrings. The older LTS designs came with 8 speed drivetrains, meaning wider chains. The newer 10-speed chains may get caught between chainrings if the gap is too wide. The other disadvantage is missing the advantage of the ramps designed into the newer chainrings to help catch the chain to help it shift faster. The newest XTR chainring are specific to the number of teeth of the lower chainring. Basically, optimized shifting. However, if you like the nickel plating, keep it.

Good luck and enjoy the LTS design with your choice of upgrades.

mmm dirt
    Oct 2011
    Some good suggestions there, and I should clarify my riding style a lil more. Maybe kamikaze was a bit strong lol, maybe fast is better. I love technical singletrack and flowing downhill as fast as I can within reason. Climbing I'm not so much a fan of but its not something I have to worry about here in florida unless I travel and in that case I'm hoping my legs are in good enough shape to power up the hills. I've been leaning torward the 2x10 setup for that reason mainly because I have had to drop into the granny to make some steep stuff. My frame is a 99 and always stays in the 5" setting so 120mm fork is what I have been tossing around but a lot that I have seen in that range have 15-20mm axles instead of a 9mm quick release...is an axle that big really necessary or is that becoming standard now? Some good choices between rock shox and marz but its really hard for me to figure out what I want. I like the small bump response I have now but I just need a bit more cush when landing and what not, I've bottomed my sid many many times. I figure on setting my dtem length based on the fork I get if I change it at all. I recently just changed the stem from a 120mm -10ļ rise kore to a 80mm 5ļ syncros stem and added a 580mm flat bar. This has changed my stance considerably and I feel much more stable in the twitchy stuff and down hills, I can tell the difference in climbing but its not to bad. I dont see myself needing a wider bar because I feel it would be way uncomfortable for me, I'm 5'10 and I'm narrow. Last of all will the newer rings fit my old crank? I'm not especially Attatched the the rings mainly the crank.
    Last edited by xcmrx; 07-30-2013 at 07:07 PM.

GT_LTS_XC_AM
    Feb 2012
    Hi xcmrx,

Sounds like you have a good handle on your options for your LTS. You can save your crank and measure for the proper chain rings. Check out Bicycle Chainrings (Chainwheels) from Harris Cyclery

Wider bars are for more leverage on trails that have obstacles like ruts that force your wheel in directions that you may not intend to go, sometimes leads to crashes. If you ride mostly trails without ruts or other obstacles like tree roots, stick with the narrower bars.

The GT LTS frame will handle just about any upgrade to modern parts, except for the rear suspension which is the uniqueness of the LTS design. I have a very old 1996 LTS-2 with only the frame and front derailleur still stock. Everything else has been given the modernization treatment. I ended up with a bike that just about perfect for my 99% trails. Have fun with the LTS and the upgrade plans.

Huckin' trails

Everything Gt Lts

And for your front axle, since you're getting a new fork and wheelset, yes a 15mm thru-axle is way more preferable over the standard 9mm QR skewer, but they also make some hubs that use a 9mm thru-QR, which means it's a 9mm diameter full length skewer that goes trough the hub and rest in your dropouts, like the "normal" hollow axle of a standard QR hub.

It gives you a lot stiffer and easier to take on-off front wheel without messing up the disc brake adjustment every time. Think of it as either having your front wheel held on with a C-clamp or a bolt all the way through with a nut on the other end. Choice is pretty clear

And most front 15mm hub can use end caps to accept a standard 9mm skewer to be used on a normal 9mm front drop-outs fork, so you're all good.

Oh, and one last thing about a new fork, make sure the steer tube is straight 1 1/8", not tapered from 1.5" to 1 1/8".
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

BTW: I broke down and bought the whole bearing kit from betd for my new (to me 98)

mmm dirt
    Oct 2011
    So i know ive been talking about making the shift to more modern components and parts, so before that happens heres some pics of how she sits now. the bars stem and grips were added last week, stem is gonna go for a new kore stem because the syncros wont seem to hold on very tight. the disc was added about a year ago. and for anyone who is wondering i built this from a frame from scratch so no original parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-20130804_194148.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-20130804_194130.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-20130804_194118.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-20130804_194103.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-20130804_194050.jpg  

Last edited by xcmrx; 09-14-2013 at 05:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Dude I know what a kick in nuts that was for you. I just did the same thing. I got the package in the mail for BETD and could not believe I paid $200 for 3 sets of bearings. I know, I know I am paying for the engineering/design/scarcity of that product but still sucks.

I am close to doing my complete rebuild and can't wait to post pics of everything cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganze View Post
    BTW: I broke down and bought the whole bearing kit from betd for my new (to me 98)

Air Pirate
    I need some advice on selling a 97 GT LTS-1. This post is NOT a spam trying to sell it to anyone here, I just want to know that I don't have my expectations too high.

I have had it posted on my local Craigslist for a few months in the Sacramento California area, but all I get are offers way below the price I set ($500). I don't want the hassle of an E-bay sale, so I have not gone that route.

These are the specs:

Pivots upgraded to BETD-UK bearing kit
    Rock Shox Super Deluxe coil shock with 800# spring -- set at 100 mm travel. No leaks, works fine.
    SR-Suntour ULR-2 suspension fork, 100 mm travel, oil bath/elastomer stack. Only a few sold in the USA when SR-Suntour was trying to re-establish in the USA in the 2000's.
    Upgraded to disc brakes from V-brakes with A2Z rear brake adapter and front/rear Avid BB-7 brakes with 160 mm rotors
    Deore-XT front and rear derailleurs, 8 speed SRAM Attack grip shifters
    Shimano Deore-LX crankset with external bearings
    YST 541 roller bearing headset
    Easton EA-70 flat handlebars and stem
    WTB Speed-V saddle
    Bicycle Wheel Warehouse hand-built wheelset: Black Deore-XT Hubs, Black double-butted spokes, Black Mavic XM-719 rims.

Am I off-base at this price point? Would it be more desirable sold as just a frame/fork?
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Everything Gt Lts

I reckon for what you're offering that's a good price especially with the bearing upgrade kit. Maybe you should list the retail price of the upgrades to show the value of the purchase.
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas VPS
    Mountain Cycle Rumble Ltd.
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Lots of nice built here,love them all heres my take on the lts 2000,complete refurbished last year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by donny70 View Post
    I reckon for what you're offering that's a good price especially with the bearing upgrade kit. Maybe you should list the retail price of the upgrades to show the value of the purchase.
    I agree I think your pricepoint is good. The problem is you are really limiting your exposure and trying to sell in a space where folks are looking to nickel and dime. I have sold several bikes over the years on CL and eBay and here is what I have come to find/understand:

CL - A good place to sell for a quick sell and willing to take less

eBay - More of a PITA w shipping but your customer base is now much larger and might get more than CL

If it were my bike and I wanted a premium price, I'd part it out. It is more of a pain but you have a higher chance of reaching your goal.

I got my LTS on CL for $200 bc the dude was very motivated to sell it. It was a bit dirty but other than than in pretty good shape.

Good luck w the sale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelZHsee View Post
    Lots of nice built here,love them all heres my take on the lts 2000,complete refurbished last year.

Finally got mine together this weekend. Everything went well and I am pretty happy. Question for anyone who has BETD upgrade. I installed everything according to the instructions and the install was pretty easy. However, when I went to test ride it, I'd hear and feel an subtle "click" when on an uphill incline requiring me to apply a lot of torque on the left pedal only. If I need to pedal hard on the right, nothing. Just the left side.

After the test ride, I disassembled and checked everything, looked good still. Reassembled the BETD bearing, and the clicking was still there. I ended up putting in the OEM bushing pivot back in and the clicking mostly went away (still faintly there, 95% less noticeable).

I assume that when a lot of climbing force is applied on the left side, the frame is torquing laterally to the right causing the click. It does not sound like metal on metal, it is just enough to be annoying with the BETD but nowhere near as much with the OEM.

So anyways, I spent $85 on this main BETD pivot bearing I cannot even use. The OEM bushing re-install pretty much made the click disappear. If this it to be expected and is just a quirk of the frame than that is fine, I just did not know if I needed to be concerned? The OEM bushings were in near perfect shape and had literally no wear even though it is 15 years old.

Everything is tight and feels good, bottom bracket is fine and crank is straight. It's just on a hard climb a subtle little click on the left side. I know it has something to do w the main pivot bc it changed drastically when I swapped out the BETD bearing for the OEM. If anyone has any feedback it'd be appreciated. If not I am just gonna ride it and have some fun!
    Last edited by pldsns525; 08-19-2013 at 09:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi guys I'm new to the forum, but I've always loved the GT lts. Thing is I really don't know much about em. Can someone break down how many years were they made and different models for each year?

Tony

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Might pick this up tomorrow for 100 bucks can someone tell me what year and model it is?

Huckin' trails

Everything Gt Lts

Quote Originally Posted by Tnyvillegas View Post
    Might pick this up tomorrow for 100 bucks can someone tell me what year and model it is?

That's in damn rough shape for $100. Unless the front mag is still usable (and in decent condition), the frame doesn't look like it's sparkling good either. Although that front mag alone can be worth almost $100, otherwise if you really want the bike, you should offer $50, assuming the bike is not in better shape as the picture suggest.

For model/year, can't really tell, sorry.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thank you David

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I just wanted to say a quick hello and thank you to everyone on here for the great info. I have always wanted an LTS and managed to find a 1997 LTS-1 on craiglist for $250! I bought it off of the original owner and he still had the all the manuals for it as well. All I can say is that I a very excited to add one of my dream bikes to my small collection.
    1997 GT LTS-1
    1992 Klein Pinnacle
    1983 Specialized Stumpjumper

2003 Bianchi Vigorelli

Huckin' trails

Everything Gt Lts

Speaking of manuals, here's one that came with the XCR/LTS bikes from GT. I redone the whole manual from the one I had and now you can download it.

Check here : GT Bicycles | Manuals and tech documents

Enjoy
    Last edited by David C; 09-03-2013 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Is there any difference between the rear triangle of a 98 sts ds1000 and a 98 lts 2000?

Thanks
    Rob

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Speaking of manuals, here's one that came with the XCR/LTS bikes from GT. I redone the whole manual from the one I had and now you can download it.

Check here : GT Bicycles | Manuals and tech documents

Enjoy
    Appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

wat
    Quote Originally Posted by robtemp View Post
    Is there any difference between the rear triangle of a 98 sts ds1000 and a 98 lts 2000?

Thanks
    Rob
    They should be the same.
    2012 Trek Superfly AL Elite
    1998 GT STS 1000 DS
    2001 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pldsns525 View Post

Finally got mine together this weekend. Everything went well and I am pretty happy. Question for anyone who has BETD upgrade. I installed everything according to the instructions and the install was pretty easy. However, when I went to test ride it, I'd hear and feel an subtle "click" when on an uphill incline requiring me to apply a lot of torque on the left pedal only. If I need to pedal hard on the right, nothing. Just the left side.

After the test ride, I disassembled and checked everything, looked good still. Reassembled the BETD bearing, and the clicking was still there. I ended up putting in the OEM bushing pivot back in and the clicking mostly went away (still faintly there, 95% less noticeable).

I assume that when a lot of climbing force is applied on the left side, the frame is torquing laterally to the right causing the click. It does not sound like metal on metal, it is just enough to be annoying with the BETD but nowhere near as much with the OEM.

So anyways, I spent $85 on this main BETD pivot bearing I cannot even use. The OEM bushing re-install pretty much made the click disappear. If this it to be expected and is just a quirk of the frame than that is fine, I just did not know if I needed to be concerned? The OEM bushings were in near perfect shape and had literally no wear even though it is 15 years old.

Everything is tight and feels good, bottom bracket is fine and crank is straight. It's just on a hard climb a subtle little click on the left side. I know it has something to do w the main pivot bc it changed drastically when I swapped out the BETD bearing for the OEM. If anyone has any feedback it'd be appreciated. If not I am just gonna ride it and have some fun!
    Strong work! How's the LTS holding up since the BETD pivot replacement?
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

mmm dirt
    Oct 2011
    So sad story for me and my pristine custom 99lts...was riding yesterday and had a nasty pedal strike in the middle of a quick section of trail thinking I had worked the bottom bracket loose I decided to call it a day and go home and fix it.. only to discover when I get home a shitty plastic bb cup for my old xt bb was destroyed..and the last hit I took before noticing there was a problem was enough to take out a large portion of the threads with the actual bb bearing housing...I can probably chase the threads but I won't be able to trust it again...so it looks like I'm frame shopping :-(

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ^^Lucky for you I have one for sale. Check out the frames in the classified section!

98 18" carbon sts rebuilt rear triangles...

-Webb

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hello, First post here after lurking for several month while I considered an LTS build. Let me thank all of you who have kept this thread alive since 2009. I never would have made the jump or been able to put together the parts or the build with out all the info here. Special thanks to the individuals who scanned the original GT factory manual; this proved to be indispensable for my complete disassembly and build.

I picked up a 1997 LTS-1 frame with BB and original XT v-brakes and levers. Have you ever seen a 16 year old mountain bike with out a rock chip or cable wear? Well this frame looks to be as new. I wanted to post photos before I get it dirty but looks like I need to get a few posts in first. I will post build details and the adventure later but wanted to get started.

Many thanks to all knowledge and great minds here.

DJ

I have repainted and installed the betd kit. Just finished building a new front wheel to go with my 20mm forks up front.

2 questions:
    1) When you installed the betd kit, did you have problems getting the nylon spacers to fit correctly in the lower bottom bracket pivot? Mine were terrible and still not perfectly aligned.
    2) I have a fox vanilla on the back. I weigh 225. What weight and length spring should I look for? It has a 650/1.65 now.

wat

Old dog new tricks

Everything Gt Lts-stsv2.jpg
    Risse Genesis. 10 speed SLX/XT shadow. Tubeless. Modern crankset. Disc conversion coming this season
    Work/Ride in progress...
    1998 GT STS 1000 DS

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    This may sound crazy but I believe the GT LTS series is the Vincent Black Shadow of the bicycle world (if you're familiar with these classic motorcycles) and perhaps it wouldn't surprise me if someday they may be worth well into the four-figure prices for pristine examples.
    Last edited by smurfy; 01-09-2014 at 09:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I know this is the LTS thread, but just acquired this STS-2 (1997 right?) the other day and am wondering what to do with it. Honestly I bought it thinking I could flip it and make a few bucks. I got it for a pretty good price (I think). Everything works as far as I can tell with the exception of the blown JUDY C fork. Should I use the parts for other builds and sell the frame? Build up the frame with modern stuff and keep riding it? Sell the whole bike as is? I already have an LTS 2000 and what I think is an LTS DH frame that I will eventually build up. This thread has been insanely awesome for info on those bikes btw! I do love the old GT's so I'm thinking about just keeping it, but I'm worried about it cracking on me if I ride it. Any speculation that these STS bikes will be worth thousands in the future? haha I'd love to hear any thoughts opinions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bob82pigdog View Post
    I know this is the LTS thread, but just acquired this STS-2 (1997 right?) the other day and am wondering what to do with it. Honestly I bought it thinking I could flip it and make a few bucks. I got it for a pretty good price (I think). Everything works as far as I can tell with the exception of the blown JUDY C fork. Should I use the parts for other builds and sell the frame? Build up the frame with modern stuff and keep riding it? Sell the whole bike as is? I already have an LTS 2000 and what I think is an LTS DH frame that I will eventually build up. This thread has been insanely awesome for info on those bikes btw! I do love the old GT's so I'm thinking about just keeping it, but I'm worried about it cracking on me if I ride it. Any speculation that these STS bikes will be worth thousands in the future? haha I'd love to hear any thoughts opinions.

I'd be interested in that frame if you were to sell it. Not so much the components.
    Current rides: 1996 GT LTS-3, Bianchi Nirone C2C, Giant Trinity
    SOLD: 2009 Giant Anthem X0, 2008 Orbea Alma Carbon Team

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davevo_82 View Post
    I'd be interested in that frame if you were to sell it. Not so much the components.
    Send me a PM if you'd like to make me an offer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Anybody has a shock adapter for GT STS

Name:  $_12.JPG
Views: 2289
Size:  29.5 KB
    I installed this adapter for my GT STS, this one allows to put a regular air shock. The one that has on the picture is a 7.5 inches eye to eye with lock. I've been riding for more than a month and works pretty well.
    Last edited by bike305; 03-19-2014 at 12:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    This is how it looks by bike with the air shock adapter. I'm selling it on my website
    Full Moon Cycling - Bicycle components and accesories

Everything Gt Lts-img-20140319-wa0006.jpg
    Last edited by bike305; 03-19-2014 at 12:59 PM.

wat
    I'm pretty sure he made that adapter himself custom. As a simpler compromise the Risse Genesis air shocks are still available for around $200 new. You order it custom tailored to your personal riding style and weight. It has been amazing and made my STS much much better. You won't regret buying one and ditching the RockShox boinger.
    1998 GT STS 1000 DS

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Act fast. As of this date 2/18/14 there is an ebay seller with NOS LTS-1 GT bushing kits for sale. You almost never see these kits let alone at this price. Check the model years for fit.

No association to seller just passing on.

Everything Gt Lts-lts-1-kits.jpg

Air Pirate
    Thinking of selling my 97 LTS-1 frame. I had to take all the components off to build up a bike that made more sense for all around riding and commuting, so it is just hanging in my garage. It has the full BETD kit and has been converted to disc with an A2Z adapter. I would love to be able to resurrect it some day, but I don't know if I will ever have that opportunity. It isn't doing me any good as a garage queen.

Everything Gt Lts-lts-1-2.jpg

Everything Gt Lts-lts1.jpg

Everything Gt Lts-lts-a2z.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hello! I have a 1997 GT LTS DH and need a new sestpost, do you know what size it is?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Can anyone tell me if these will fit a 1996 lts-1 the kit says 1997 and up. I ordered one but would like to have an extra.

Also anyone have an extra bushing bolt for the bottom pivot (the cone shaped thing) trying to get by till I am ready for the bearing kit.

Quote Originally Posted by DJDSC View Post
    Act fast. As of this date 2/18/14 there is an ebay seller with NOS LTS-1 GT bushing kits for sale. You almost never see these kits let alone at this price. Check the model years for fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lts-1 kits.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	870717

Sneaker man
    bah wrong thread, and I wouldn't think so as the 97's have a different linkage design
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    bah wrong thread, and I wouldn't think so as the 97's have a different linkage design
    mik_git - did you use to be on the RS Liberty forums?
    Current rides: 1996 GT LTS-3, Bianchi Nirone C2C, Giant Trinity
    SOLD: 2009 Giant Anthem X0, 2008 Orbea Alma Carbon Team

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just in case anybody is in the market for a nice STS frame:

GT STS 2 Full Suspension Mountain Bike Frame and Rock Shox Coupe Deluxe Shock | eBay

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Very nice bike. I created an adapter and installed it on my bike. This is how it looks with the adapter which by the way, you can get it at Full Moon Cycling - Bicycle components and accesories
    Everything Gt Lts-img-20140319-wa0006.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    How much for the frame?

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by bike305 View Post
    How much for the frame?
    Replied via PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi folks,
    anyone in search for a OEM SID from a GT LTS XR-1000?

Rock Shox SID Ur-Sid 1998 IS2000 GT LTS XR-1000 | eBay

wat
    Here's a short slow-mo vid of the LTS / STS suspension in action that buddy and I took earlier today
    1998 GT STS 1000 DS

mtbr member
    May 2014
    ...anyone to need an XR-1000 frame?

GT LTS XR-1000 Rahmen M STS Zaskar Lobo | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

What is this? A LTS 3 4 or 5

I have seen various pics on here and other forums, some with the '4' having a 'fillet' on the top tube, and others with the '4' logo but no fillet.

I am just in the process of building this one up. Just had Tim Price from Fork English service the Pace RC36 Evo3's..now trying to sort the rear sus elastomer unit.

Se the pic of the dismantled shock, my mate took it apart. See the top cap, inside there is an alloy tube, but he is not sure where it came from. It does fit perfectly inside the new elastomer...but all it does is 'locks' the suspension, it acts as a block to stop it compressing. I am guessing some one added it after the elastomer started rotting. Anyone know for sure?

Serial number is : S7JA2698

I bought a replacement from here:

but it is too soft for my weight (13 stone ) as can be seen in one of the pics, where the shock is compressed, about half an inch of travel left with me standing on the pedals.

as can also be seen in the pics it looks too short.

Any help/info advice appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-10157035_264930480354270_214680813_n.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-img_3251.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-img_3252.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-img_3262.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-img_3294.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-libd0009.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-libd0010.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-libd0011.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-libd0015.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-libd0016.jpg  

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by stsfreak View Post
    ...anyone to need an XR-1000 frame?

GT LTS XR-1000 Rahmen M STS Zaskar Lobo | eBay
    Asking price translates to $619.61 US dollars..hmmmm....I've been trying to sell my 97 LTS-1 frame (with full BETD bearing kit, good trunion shock, front derailleur, seat and post) for two months on my local Craigslist for half that and no takers. Perhaps I should put it on Ebay as well, since the cretins in my area (greater Sacramento California) have no clue what an LTS even is!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    OK..I am going to send back this elastomer within the next day...tomorrow morning...BUT..

if any one in the UK wants it before I do post it back to the USA let me know tonight, 15th may 2014.

call me 07797 722 569.

I am in Jersey but will post from UK , or you can collect from any of the below airports: Southampton, Exeter, Oxford or Biggin Hill.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Can someone please clarify the diffrences in the gt lts 1 2 3 4 5 etc... ? Are all parts compatimble? Bushing sets?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bean9119 View Post
    Can someone please clarify the diffrences in the gt lts 1 2 3 4 5 etc... ? Are all parts compatimble? Bushing sets?
    From my research after having my 4 for a month or so, is that they are all different in some ways.
    It is possible that some bushes are the same but major parts seem different.
    Just scan the thread and look at the pics.
    Or do a google image search and compare

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DJDSC View Post

Name:	lts-1 kits.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	870717
    Does anyone know if this would fit my 97 lts 3?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Everything Gt Lts

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Asking price translates to $619.61 US dollars..hmmmm....I've been trying to sell my 97 LTS-1 frame (with full BETD bearing kit, good trunion shock, front derailleur, seat and post) for two months on my local Craigslist for half that and no takers. Perhaps I should put it on Ebay as well, since the cretins in my area (greater Sacramento California) have no clue what an LTS even is!
    Ebay or pinkbike it
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas VPS
    Mountain Cycle Rumble Ltd.
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hey everyone, just joined the lts family. I bought an all original lts 3. I only paid fifty bucks! Im pretty sure its a 97 because the stickers but it has the traditional rear shock mount. The rear shock is rock schock deluxe. The bike is in good condition except for the drop out bushing. Ive found all the other pivot replacements except for the chainstay pivot. I am excited to hit the trails with it and could use any expertise anyone has to offer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

98 gt lts xr-1000

Hello, I just picked up this beauty last weekend! Drove an hour and a half just to get it.. but well worth the drive. Its a 98 LTS XR-1000, my first LTS but own and ride a 97 GT Zaskar as well! This frame is so light, weighed in at 24.6lbs on my digital scale. Has all XTR components and mavic crossmax wheels! Threw on the RockShox SID Dual Air forks to replace the older SID forks. This bike is so much fun to hit the trails with and what a climber.. better than the Zaskar! Enjoying every minute and loving it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    FYI: If anyone can use a 97/98 LTS-1 front frame (a chain stay is broken) with almost new bushings and derailleur dropout hanger I just posted it on eBay (link below). It should run through 7-25-14 at least. I also have a couple rear shocks (Risse Genesis and oem RockShox) and a bottom bracket listed separately. I wanted to sell them cheap and just wanted them to go to a good home.:
    GT Lts 1 Frameset Large Broken Chainstay Good Front Triangle New Bushings 97 | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi everyone, just joined the forum. I had a 97 polished lts I built in 97. I loved my bike and we had a lot of history together. It was all xtr with ceramic cross max wheels, purple ringle neck, blue answer bar ends, red ahead set,betd bearings in the pivots, black Sid fork and a new rear shock(I forget the brand). About 3 years ago someone broke into my van and stole it. I did get a newer bike that is great and I love it but I still miss my lts. If anyone has preferably a 97 or later polished frame for sale I would love to build another one. I do have a 96 thermoplastic frame I would be willing to trade.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkittredge View Post
    Hi everyone, just joined the forum. I had a 97 polished lts I built in 97. I loved my bike and we had a lot of history together. It was all xtr with ceramic cross max wheels, purple ringle neck, blue answer bar ends, red ahead set,betd bearings in the pivots, black Sid fork and a new rear shock(I forget the brand). About 3 years ago someone broke into my van and stole it. I did get a newer bike that is great and I love it but I still miss my lts. If anyone has preferably a 97 or later polished frame for sale I would love to build another one. I do have a 96 thermoplastic frame I would be willing to trade.
    I have one for sale. PM sent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

rock shox

Wondering if you still have a rock shox deluxe you may want to sell?

I bought a gt Lts300 in 2002 and ride it daily. The coil broke last week.
    thanks

Doug in MN

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Msna35male View Post

thanks

Doug in MN
    Doug, if that was directed at me I took my frame off sale status and built it back up into a full ride. It is now the only mountain bike I have operating. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I just upgraded my 96' GT LTS-1 with the pivot upgrade from BETD and the pivots on the chainstay yoke and near the rear wheel drop outs always come loose, especially on steep 1500 ft. elevation climbs.

I've taken it to a couple shops for a second opinion and the threads appear fine and even replaced it with a second batch of BETD pivots with the same problem.

I love this bike and I am highly considering using some Loctite blue to see if that will keep these from coming loose. Has anybody else experienced this?

Any also, has anybody replaced their RS Deluxe with a Risse rear suspension? I am curious on the ride experience as I ordered one to replace mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I just received an email from Charles at Risse Racing and they are offering suspension rebuilds including the ROCK SHOX DELUXE LTS rear shocks. I got quoted for $80 plus shipping costs!

Check Risse out, they're an outfit in Oregon:
    Risse Racing - Mountain Bike Suspension Service. Forks and Rear Shocks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Msna35male View Post

thanks

Doug in MN
    I have coils from a '96 Super Deluxe. Not sure if they are the same. What weight do you need? I have 700x1.25, 700x1.4, 750x1.4

PM me if you're interested.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of a '98 STS-DH restoration, not quite to catalogue spec but close.

I've hit a MAJOR roadblock with brakes. Initially I was hoping to go with Formula Evoluziones, roughly to catalog spec and because they're the only brakes that fit the GT Super High End CNC hubset. Problem is I cannot for love or money find a set or even single caliper with the 48.55mm Formula Standard mounting to suit the STS's seatstay.

Is there an IS mount seatstay for these? Am I right in guessing the rim brake seatstays on ebay with the 2 bolt holes match the available bolt on IS disc mount?

It seems the combo of 4 bolt rotor and FS mounting for the rear are pretty much restricted to the red Evoluziones that came OE on the STS-DH.

Here's a quick mock up I did when my rims arrived the other day.

Also, will the STS-DS rear end fit a trunnion shock LTS-DH front end? I've ended up with a good '98 LTS-DH front end but have no rear end for it at all. Was thinking I'd sacrifice a DS to get it rolling unless I could find a broken STS-DH.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilP View Post
    I have seen various pics on here and other forums, some with the '4' having a 'fillet' on the top tube, and others with the '4' logo but no fillet.

I am just in the process of building this one up. Just had Tim Price from Fork English service the Pace RC36 Evo3's..now trying to sort the rear sus elastomer unit.

Se the pic of the dismantled shock, my mate took it apart. See the top cap, inside there is an alloy tube, but he is not sure where it came from. It does fit perfectly inside the new elastomer...but all it does is 'locks' the suspension, it acts as a block to stop it compressing. I am guessing some one added it after the elastomer started rotting. Anyone know for sure?

Serial number is : S7JA2698

I bought a replacement from here:

but it is too soft for my weight (13 stone ) as can be seen in one of the pics, where the shock is compressed, about half an inch of travel left with me standing on the pedals.

as can also be seen in the pics it looks too short.

Any help/info advice appreciated.
    I think you are correct about the sleeve thing in the top cap of the elastomer shock. I've just bought an LTS4 myself, but mine has been pugged up in a loft for about 10 years and had only very mild use until then. There is no sleeve on mine. I shall take photos when I next dismantle it and put them on here.

Have you had any luck with the elastomer. MIne isn't too bad, but I know it will need replacing at some point. Have you seen the conversion from the LTS 3 shock on youtube? That might be better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yfrnaks View Post
    I just upgraded my 96' GT LTS-1 with the pivot upgrade from BETD and the pivots on the chainstay yoke and near the rear wheel drop outs always come loose, especially on steep 1500 ft. elevation climbs.

I've taken it to a couple shops for a second opinion and the threads appear fine and even replaced it with a second batch of BETD pivots with the same problem.

I love this bike and I am highly considering using some Loctite blue to see if that will keep these from coming loose. Has anybody else experienced this?

Any also, has anybody replaced their RS Deluxe with a Risse rear suspension? I am curious on the ride experience as I ordered one to replace mine.

The manual posted on page 2 of this forum thread says to use thread lock when re assembling these parts.

I Fought The Lawn
    We just started the first and only dedicated GT LTS Owner's Club on Facebook! If you use facebook and want to be a member of the LTS Owner's Club, click Join!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/542915645811023/

All fans of the LTS, STS, RTS, and XCR from 1991 to 2001 are welcome and you do not need to own one to become a member!
    '15 Lapierre Zesty TR429
    '13 Cannondale F29
    '99 Schwinn 4 Banger
    '98 Manitou FS
    '97 GT LTS-1

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Old guy New project But old Frame 1996 GT LTS-2

Everything Gt Lts-%24_57-2-.jpgThanks for the add here's pic my project 1996 LTS-2....love this frame wanted one back in the day but heck for $1800.00 back then I did not have that type of cash...picked off ebay for $45.00 plus shipping ....and shipping was more than the frame
    This kinda turned into a blown out project being i ride mountain bike for transportation to from work and everywhere else...I figured I just build a nice bike.....
    THANKS FOR THE ADD AGAIN
    Will keep posted on project build

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Everything Gt Lts

Found this on CL.

Carbon Fiber GT Mountain Bike/Commuter $400
    http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/bik/4812759551.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here's my lts 3000 from 98, man I hammered this bike, ripped the head tube nearly off welded back together chucked out the trunion in 2001 then not long after hung it up until last week, I'm going to rebuild it to ride around the streets...

rubber side down
    That thing is AWESOME! You killed that bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I just bought a GT LTS-5 frame for cheap. I was wondering if there was some way I could upgrade from the elastomer rear shock to a nicer shock, either coil or air. I have only seen this done with other LTS models, not sure if it is doable with the LTS 5.

Thanks! Any suggestions welcome

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by petereman View Post
    I just bought a GT LTS-5 frame for cheap. I was wondering if there was some way I could upgrade from the elastomer rear shock to a nicer shock, either coil or air. I have only seen this done with other LTS models, not sure if it is doable with the LTS 5.

Thanks! Any suggestions welcome

If a conversion doesn't work, check these guys out for an elastomer:
    GT LTS Rear Elastomer Refresh Kit - Suspension Fork Parts eStore

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    If a conversion doesn't work, check these guys out for an elastomer:
    GT LTS Rear Elastomer Refresh Kit - Suspension Fork Parts eStore
    Any idea about how to go about with a conversion?

Thanks!

I Fought The Lawn
    It's unfortunate but there isn't a damper being made that matches the LTS-5.. best to get the new MCU from the link above and keep on the lookout for an LTS-2 or better.
    '15 Lapierre Zesty TR429
    '13 Cannondale F29
    '99 Schwinn 4 Banger
    '98 Manitou FS
    '97 GT LTS-1

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hired Wrench View Post
    ... keep on the lookout for an LTS-2 or better.
    I am selling a 20" (large) 97 LTS-1 frame which has the complete BETD bearing kit installed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sdjohnson20 View Post
    Greetings all. New biker here,

I've been wanting to get on a bike again for the first time since high school. A few weeks ago, A hardcore rider buddy from work offered me the following ride for the ridiculous sum of $50, I couldn't pass it up. It's a '96 Team LTS w/ full XTR and stock for the most part. It is near mint (but dirty at the moment) and probably doesn't have more than a few hundred miles on it. Rides great and no wear in any of the pivot points.

Due to the posts I've read on this forum, I've started asking around for spare parts. Stopped by a LBS on vacation and after drooling over the bike, the store owner told me to make an offer on his spare LTS parts box due to age and rarity of the bike. I gave him $50 and was on my way.

I'm so stoked about the bike and how "retro" it seems to be as it's a little different. As I figure out exactly what parts I can use, I'll probably make some available for sale. If you see a part you need in the picture email me and maybe we can figure something out. Thanks again to the contributors and moderators for starting this thread.
    It's been a long time. I've stuck with mountain biking and find myself in need of a new Niner RIP 9. This bike is now for sale. It is all original with the exception of a new bottom bracket, cables & bar ends. Even the grips, seat, brake pads are original. I will include the box of spare parts which is still exactly as in the photo. Hate to sell it but there are people which will appreciate it more than I. I'm looking for offers but I think $600 is fair for what it is in this condition. I need to make a little money for my dream bike. Bike is located in Jacksonville, FL But I travel to Beaufort & Greenville, SC regularly. Photos are on pg 25 of this thread.

Steve
    Last edited by sdjohnson20; 03-26-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: pictures

rubber side down
    It's been a long time. I've stuck with mountain biking and find myself in need of a new Niner RIP 9. This bike is now for sale. It is all original with the exception of a new bottom bracket, cables & bar ends. Even the grips, seat, brake pads are original. I will include the box of spare parts which is still exactly as in the photo. Hate to sell it but there are people which will appreciate it more than I. I'm looking for offers but I think $600 is fair for what it is in this condition. I need to make a little money for my dream bike. Bike is located in Jacksonville, FL But I travel to Beaufort & Greenville, SC regularly. Photos are on pg 25 of this thread.

Steve
    Congrats on sticking with biking and on your future purchase!

So your buddy completely hooks you up with a deal (you post the amount you paid here) and you're trying to flip it to try make $550!? IMHO that is kind of douchie for a couple reasons;

Did you offer the bike back to your buddy?

Quoting your post from 2012 with the price you paid in the same post where you're trying to sell it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If you really are looking for $600, you'd be better off parting it out and taking it all to ebay for the best return. I'd would get into what it's all worth by parting it out, but don't really want to take the time. With some research you can find out on your own. good luck

rubber side down
    On a different note. I brought my STS and LTS-DH into work to dust them off and do a little maintenance. So I took some updated pics. Thought I'd share here.

Cheers-n-beers

-TAOS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-sts02.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-lts11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wow. Ok. To be labeled a douche for wanting to make some money kinda blows me away.

In what world does the amount I paid for something determine it's value? Anything is worth only what someone will pay for it.

To my fault... I guess I didn't state very clearly that I wanted opinions on the value of the bike, regardless of what I paid for it. I didn't have to sell it, the only reason was to help offset the new purchase.

It's irrelevant now as it's getting a new home soon to an owner who appreciates what it is, which is what I really wanted. And if it makes anyone feel better, it was less than $600.

I do appreciate the tip about parting it out, but I think it's much cooler to keep the bike original. Also, the prior owner made it clear that he had zero interest in ever getting the bike back.

rubber side down
    Wow. Ok. To be labeled a douche for wanting to make some money kinda blows me away.

I said it was douchie, (under forum etiquette) did not call you a douche

Parted out the bike alone would be $600 + (IMO)

frame- $250-$350
    XTR shifter/break lever combo- $120-ish
    XTR v-brakes- $120-ish
    Fork- $50-ish
    XTR rear derailleur- $75
    XTR front derailleur- $45
    If the wheelset is XTR- $120+
    Kore skewers/stem/seatpost- $50-ish

Parts is where you could have made some $

Spare NOS rear shock- $120+

other extra parts could be in the $200 range if sold separate on ebay

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    OK. No offense taken. I just don't feel I'm in the wrong for pricing something dear to me fairly. This bike has led to wonders in my fitness and entertainment. For a small backstory, I've since built (by myself) a Niner EMD and purchased a Cannondale SuperSix and got my wife a Trek Xcaliber, we ride them all as much as possible and I'm doing the MS-150 2-day trip on the road bike in Sept.

Back to the point... THANK YOU TAOS1 for giving me the breakdown. I do a ton of research and have this feeling that the GT should be left intact. Please tell me if I'm wrong. I would feel some sacrilege for stripping it for money. (it's not all about money)

Again, no douchebaggery intended, but I would be fine if I left it hanging on a wall for years to come. It's still pretty damn cool to me. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

rubber side down

Back to the point... THANK YOU TAOS1 for giving me the breakdown. I do a ton of research and have this feeling that the GT should be left intact. Please tell me if I'm wrong. I would feel some sacrilege for stripping it for money. (it's not all about money)
    You're wrong, part it out and you could also be helping a bunch of people finish builds they've been working on.... It's not like it was Hans Reys or some pro's build

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Here is mine...
    Everything Gt Lts-image.jpg
    Buy a few weeks ago...just add the egg beater instead of old(but in good conditions) look sl-2 pedals.
    Full bike for 160Ä....a good deal!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hi, I need to change the Rock Shox super deluxe shox from my 1996 Gt-Lts 1, I found a fox rp3 long 140mm (from a 2006 scapel) it will fit on my LTS? Or I have to find a 135 mm shox?

rubber side down
    Read this whole thread..... The rear shock is custom for the LTS....you will have to source one, but there are some helpful posts in this thread....it's worth reading the whole thing

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hey guys, new rider here and found a deal for a LTS-2 1996. Do you guys think this is a good deal? Also correct me if I'm wrong on the model and year but it seems to be the one that matches up.
    GT 27 IN MOUNTAIN BIKE

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hey guys is this a good deal? I believe its a 1996 lts-2. Correct me if I'm wrong.

GT 27 IN MOUNTAIN BIKE

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have just re built the GT LTS as pictured in my previous post.

It was along build...I bought the elastomer kit in May 2014. Finally got the bike finished about a month ago. Have done no more than 97 mies on it and the elastomer has split.

just wonder if anyone knows if there is any ready to go bolt onkits to convert the elastomer to shock and spring, like other GT LTS models.

Or it any one has a source for replacement coil and shock units off a later bike,and I can machine / fabricate my own mouths for the spring unit

Everything Gt Lts-split-elastomer.jpg

Everything Gt Lts-892646d1399880133-everything-gt-lts-img_3262.jpg

Everything Gt Lts-892648d1399880153-everything-gt-lts-libd0009.jpg

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilP View Post
    I have just re built the GT LTS as pictured in my previous post.

It was along build...I bought the elastomer kit in May 2014. Finally got the bike finished about a month ago. Have done no more than 97 mies on it and the elastomer has split.

just wonder if anyone knows if there is any ready to go bolt onkits to convert the elastomer to shock and spring, like other GT LTS models.
    GT Lts STS Rear Shock Adapter for 6 5 7 25 or 7 5 Shock CNC Al 6061 | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nice , that looks like the sort of thing

That until seems to convert one sort of spring system for another, but maybe they do one for elastomer to spring.

sending them an e-mail now
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

GT LTS 4 fitting budget spring/damper instead of elastomer

Well, I spoke with the chap from the link previously posted (Full Moon Cycling) about the kit for conversion...but he does not do a version for this particular GT LTS.

The elastomer from these guys failed ..It split down the middle on the bikes maiden voyage out, ..8 mile road ride and about 1 mile to go, I had to jam some wine bottle corks in the gap They are sending me a replacement, of a harder grade . They reckon this happens if the elastomer is too soft for rider weight. The replacement they are sending is FoC which is nice..but being in the UK and they are in USA..did not want to wait any longer.
    Everything Gt Lts-1009109d1439835463-everything-gt-lts-split-elastomer.jpg

So I had a box of old el cheapo (Walmart bike quality) shocks, so thought I'd try fitting one.

This conversion has not harmed any of the original from components in any way, so I can always go back to original if needed.
    As is it is slightly long, and totally unsuitable for mounting straight on, as we all know
    Everything Gt Lts-img_5128.jpg

Everything Gt Lts-img_5132.jpg

The damper is just air filled with 'O' rings, damping just via leakage of air around the 'O' rings.
    Everything Gt Lts-img_5133.jpgEverything Gt Lts-img_5135.jpgEverything Gt Lts-img_5138.jpg

I turned the end cap down on the lathe and cut the rubber extension off, this shortened the air damper overall length with out affecting how it works. There was still enough depth left internally to allow the damper plunger to go in further if needed. Inside, on the plunger, you could actually shorten that end too and re thread its end and re fit the 'O' ring carrier. SO on this design, easy to shorten the plunger shaft from either end. For now I have left it full length
    Everything Gt Lts-img_5142.jpg

You can't see it here, but between this photo and the previous one is about 8 hours work and trial and error.
    I cut off the 'mounting eyelet' from the plunger and turned the end down to 6.9mm and then cut a thread on it M7 x 0.75.
    I then made a cross piece from 8mm bar, about 10 mm long drilled and threaded to take the thread I cut on the plunger shaft. This was to create the 'T' to allow movement of the shaft since the mounting plate is to be screwed to the swing arm mount and won't flex.

The cross piece 'T' I made is not visible here. It is hidden within a recess machined in to the black spacer, with the two small bolts sticking out.

That black nylon collar was about version 4. It is turned at the top, so the thinner part of the spacer sits inside the spring to locate it.

The two 4mm x 20 setscrews sticking out are hexagon heads. The nylon is drilled with two sizes of drill. A 3.9mm hole for the shank of the screw and a bigger recess for the hexagon head. Screws the glued up and pressed in to the nylon so they won't (hopefully ) turn.

Everything Gt Lts-img_5143.jpg

For those that are not familiar with the Elastomer build, there is a threaded stud that makes a 'T' at the bottom, can be seen in the next picture...bottom right of the shot.
    Everything Gt Lts-gt-lts4-old.jpg

After all this, I could now mount the spring unit to the two holes where the lower part of the elastomer unit used to fit. But there was NO WAY the top link would fit. The whole unit is just too long.

If you go back up to the second picture, showing the top link of the frame, you will see the hole for the damper. That hole is too small for the threaded part of the damper, but it will accept the main body.
    I had to spin the main body of the damper in the lathe, and remove about 1 inch of the threaded portion of the large spring preload thread.
    I also shortened the spring. (not a pretty job, viciously hacked the end off with 9 inch angle grinder).

Once built up and the top link now bolted back to the bike, I found it all 'sagged' too much now.. before the spring even got near to compression...yep I cut off too much So For now, I just aded another spacer on top of the spring tension ring, to bring the height back up.

This all left the top of the damper body sticking up through the hole of the top link. Another big nylon spacer, cut at an angle and then the original mounting damper bushes (white rings and spacer) back through the original shock damper body hole, with the original mounting bolt, shortened, holds the bushing in place.

Everything Gt Lts-img_5144.jpgEverything Gt Lts-img_5145.jpg

Well it all works, I hesitate to say 'perfectly' there is not real adjustment. But on riding over some rutted pot holed farm tracks, no thump/bang as it neither sloped about or bottomed out or hit either end of the travel.

SO success.

I used that black nylon as the mount for one reason..I had no alloy stock to make the spacer.

I will likely do this again, not I know i theory it works. But this time I will use alloy for the spacer, and drill and tap it, so I can feed the two mounting set screws up from the bottom.

Also, I'd not make the 'T'piece onto damper shaft. I'd just thread the damper shaft direct to the spacer..then make the bottom of the spacer cover, so it can 'rock' on the swing arm mounting plate.

I hope this is use to others in future. I have re -read and made a few edits to this post , and do realise it does not 'read' all that well. So feel free to ask questions .

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Deleted

rubber side down
    Nice! Forget the elastic bumper....will never work right for you

What is the serial number for that bike...that whole rear piece looks home made

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Back end where the axle clamps on has had a disk adapter welded on, and also the aluminium pieces are extra axle clamps. This is a build of a 50 mph electric 10kW e-bike, so the axle needs to be clamped in torque clamps otherwise it just spins out chewing the dropouts.

Serial No. S7JA2698

Everything Gt Lts-892644d1399880078-everything-gt-lts-img_3251.jpg
    Everything Gt Lts-892645d1399880111-everything-gt-lts-img_3252.jpg
    Everything Gt Lts-892646d1399880133-everything-gt-lts-img_3262.jpg

mtbr member
    Hello,
    I'm a french user LTS 1000 ds
    it dates from 1999.
    I am pleased to find members who share the same passion as me for the LTS and STS

mtbr member
    full xt
    mavic 317 disc with Sram 9.0
    race face 46/43/22
    hanger and gallows Kore
    Last edited by sunn80; 09-15-2015 at 02:51 AM.

mtbr member
    somes pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-100_9957.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-100_9958.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-100_9963.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-100_9965.jpg  

Last edited by sunn80; 09-15-2015 at 03:08 AM.

rubber side down
    Love those Bombers on that! Nice clean looking sled man! Lots of killer information in this thread...I suggest reading though the whole thing as some point.

mtbr member
    I hope to find a lot of tricks to optimize some level suspension

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    hey guys, need your expertise. Found a carbon gt lts local to me, seems to be all orig (xtr, kore, titec etc) looks to be from the 90's and would love to get it and restore it, supposedly frame is perfect besides stickers, just needs tuning. Question for you guys is how are these carbon frames?? If they are known to crack I dont want it. Also $250 sounds fair???? thanks!!

rubber side down
    Can't go wrong for $250. The XTR parts alone would sell for more than that.

As for breaking, depends on your weight and how hard you ride. I have one, but I won't ride it on really rowdy stuff

check for cracks before you take it

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    thanks for the reply. I have a pic of it but I cant attach it, cant find that option?>

rubber side down
    When you reply, use the "Go Advanced" and you can upload there

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The rear on Neilp's LTS 4 looks just like mine, so not homemade as far as I can see.

Do you reckon you could fit a more quality shock, now you know how to fit a crap one?

The internal damper on my elastomer has broken and I'm wondering what to do.

rubber side down

Anyone looking for a spare shock for their LTS?

I have a NOS one available. Hit me up for details
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

... and if we just ...

Spotted this at the beach today, owner didn't seem to know anything about it and uses it for a neighborhood ride. I told him it was pretty cool and left it at that...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-20160213_0080.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Lts 1 for sale

I am the orginal owner of an 1997 20" lts 1. Unfortunately I don't have time to ride it so I am putting up for sale. It mostly stock orginal all xt from the period upgraded rear hub to a white industries at the time.
    Pm me if intrest .
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi All, here's my LTS that I bought as a used frame in ~1998.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbfhyekrct..._0575.JPG?dl=0

Just getting back into the sport for fitness/fun. Thought I'd get this bike back up to spec. Apart from just basic stuff like replacing cables etc. I milled up a disc brake adaptor as this was one of the earlier non-vbrake compatible frames.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd1taieczc..._0576.JPG?dl=0

Pretty pleased with the adaptor. Very ridgid and didn't require any mods to the frame/dropout.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7bsgridpg..._0577.JPG?dl=0

New derailleur and chain are due in a few days and it'll be ready for action....

Am looking for a disc type fork that's at least as good as the Judys.

Serial number is SAS610480 which I believe makes it a 1996 from Taiwan?

Rear shock is a Coupe De Lux. Already on the hunt for an Alps4, but the Coupe is still in working condition. I'm only a medium weight rider and don't plan on doing anything too extreme so hopefully it'll be okay for some time yet.

Looking forward to get it dusty! Last time I took it out it got plenty of 2nd looks. But sadly for all the wrong reasons. I think if I held out a hat people would have thrown me some change! LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-dsc_0575.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-dsc_0576.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-dsc_0577.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nice work on the disc adapter, very slick!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BugeyedEarl View Post
    Nice work on the disc adapter, very slick!
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Top link

Anyone have a top link for sale 1998 lts
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have two GT LTS bikes:
    One is non-trunion, cantilever rear only (cannot fit a v-brake).
    The other is a non-trunion, but can run cantilever or v-brakes.

Are the chainstays the exact same dimensions because one of the frames is purely a spares donor and I have a cracked chainstay to replace.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hey GT LTS folks, I posted in this other thread a few minutes ago but it may be relevant here too.

Years ago in high school I tried to redesign the geometry of my rear suspension. Didn't do much design work so I didn't ever trust it enough to ride it. Trying to bring this project back to life. I asked a bunch of questions in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/gt/gt-lts-cus...ms-529664.html

I promise this'll be awesome! The photos below are of the design I'm throwing away, but I still think they look cool

Everything Gt Lts-imag0224.jpgEverything Gt Lts-imag0216.jpg
    Everything Gt Lts-imag0227.jpgEverything Gt Lts-imag0213.jpg

STS
    mtbr member
    Good work!
    But for me the trunion mount is an advantage, because allows to change geometry very easy
    I adapted the trunion to accommodate the fox float of the cannondale jekyll and I'm really happy with it, 140 or 170mm for the two positions of the chip

In your Idea you could add different holes/positions to change geometry/travel
    And also lighten with a triangles hole in each plate

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kavisiegel View Post
    Hey GT LTS folks, I posted in this other thread a few minutes ago but it may be relevant here too.

Years ago in high school I tried to redesign the geometry of my rear suspension. Didn't do much design work so I didn't ever trust it enough to ride it. Trying to bring this project back to life. I asked a bunch of questions in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/gt/gt-lts-cus...ms-529664.html

I promise this'll be awesome! The photos below are of the design I'm throwing away, but I still think they look cool

Name:	IMAG0224.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	1083862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0216.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	1083863

Name:	IMAG0227.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	1083860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0213.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	1083861
    Just do it! Looks heaps beefy! Heat treated or not, the stock link is very thin and light... My link is going great!

Everything Gt Lts-dsc_0691.jpgEverything Gt Lts-dsc_0690.jpgEverything Gt Lts-dsc_0689.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hey guys I have a 96 lts trying to get some info on it. I'll try and upload a pic of it it's looking cool my boss gave me the frame for free and I have a wrecked fuel that I stripped down. Everything is transferring over great. If all goes well I should be trailing on it Saturday!! I love the links for all the stuff this is a great thread for these bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Help me confirm my year frame guys. As stamped on the bottom bracket shell, 01294****LTS 16 where **** are I believe the build sequence numbers. Decals 'Team LTS' blue w/ yellow outlines. Titanium link, full XTR group v-brakes, shifters, der, Fox ALPS 4 shock, RS Judy SL yellow, Mavic 217s, White Ind hubs, Synchros stem and post.

Yes waking this thread up again. Love the craftsmanship of these old GTs!
    Last edited by aohammer; 10-10-2016 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    My next project:

1996 LTS.

mtbr member
    Aaaaaaaand... Project complete.

mtbr member
    That's awesome!!!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by ClayP View Post
    That's awesome!!!
    Ditto!
    And he picked the ultimate LTS, the STS version with the composite carbon tubes mated to the aluminum lugs. A piece of art in craftsmanship as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks chaps. Still got some finishing to do (repaint the forks, powder coat the mag wheels, fully strip the frame for a deep clean and polish, apply new decals, refine the hub mounts etc etc) but I'm really pleased with how it looks so far. Here's a close-up.

Everything Gt Lts-gtgtgt.jpg

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's an STS-1, as the complete groupset was XTR and the seatpost and stem were Kore.

Is the old XTR 27-speed groupset worth much?
    Last edited by Mascot; 10-24-2016 at 08:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Got my parts frame in last week - I'm pumped to but my LTS back together!

I think I did well on ebay. I paid $170 total for the bike and shipping. This frame has the titanium link and the fox air shock.

I'm going to need to put a new fork on the front, going to do discs up front, I guess that's going to spiral out of control into retrofitting disc brakes on the back and two new wheels. Damn I'm bad at cheap projects.

Everything Gt Lts-20161024_183226-copy.jpg
    Last edited by kavisiegel; 11-09-2016 at 07:50 AM.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Your ^^ photo is not showing on my end.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I sold my '95 LTS-2 a couple years ago but kept the Cane Creek AD-12 rear shock. I realize that I will not have another LTS, so this needs to go. I had it paired with Englund air cartridges in a Judy on the front. The AD-12 only weighs 260 grams and will allow full travel of the suspension. It is so much better than the stock shock, there is no comparison. I would post a photo but the website won't let me. I can email if you are interested. This one does not have many miles, I blew up the original shock (which the bike shop replaced) and that was replaced by an AD-8 which worked for a very long time. When it finally broke I bought the AD-12, but soon after that I bought a Santa Cruz and that became my ride of choice. So this shock is for sale - $100 + postage. If you still ride your bike you will be amazed at the difference this shock will make.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal5 View Post
    There is a review on it in the october 1998 issue of mountain bike. It was called the XR1000, had the same build as the 98 zaskar LE except it had answer protaper riser bars. MB mag had the weight at 24.8 pounds from memory. Mainframe was made from the same easton tubeset as the Zaskar LE and looked the same as a 97 LTS-1 front end. Also had the fox air shock with the trunnion mount. Was introduced towards the end of 98 and was a limited production model. Available in frosy green anodized with BB rear end, with IS dis brake mount. I think that just about cvers it
    I have found a LTS XR-1000 and am looking for information.

Can anybody get me a Scan of that article of the 98 Mountainbike issue?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Also, I would love some serial numbers to get an idea for the production numbers.

I have found two. This could be an early one as it carries the name of the welder (I guess?!) No. 00099

https://www.imgbox.de/users/public/i...C6gSwL8TFU.jpg (stsfreak)

And here is 00150
    https://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/gt...129_095724.jpg
    (billslts)

I wonder why they used the stamp "XCR". XCR was a model of the 99 range. Maybe GT used the same bottom bracket shells?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

GT LTS rear elasomer skock replacement on a budget

Hello everyone! Here's a cheaper way to restore your vintage GT LTS 4 rear elastic shock. I came across my vintage GT LTS at a flea market back in the summer of 2016. It was in good shape for its age but I notice the rear elastic shock had crumbled into barely nothing. I saw a website that had the elastic part I needed but I didn't want to pay $70 shipped price.

So I went to a local hardware store recently to see if they had anything that I could use to replace the elastic shock part. The guy I talked to told me to go to a auto part store and ask for Rubber Expansion Plugs. Once I got to the auto parts store (AutoZone) I made sure to take the LTS rear shock rod and plate assembly with me so I could size everything up.

I notice they had two different sizes but the 1 7/8th- 2 inch size was perfect fit. You will have to buy 3 of them so you can stack each one on the rear shock assembly.
    The cost for 3 of these parts was about $10

The following pictures will show how I put everything together from start to finish.Everything Gt Lts-b1.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b2.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b3.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b4.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b5.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b6.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b7.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b8.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b9.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b10.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b11.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b12.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b13.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b14.jpgEverything Gt Lts-b15.jpg

You will have to make the holes bigger on the first two rubber plugs so they will fit over the bigger part of the elastic shock rod assembly. The third one should slip on with no problems.

Once you have all three rubber plugs on the rear shock assembly then cut a old piece of tire inner tube that you may have laying around and pull it over the whole rubber plug assembly to make one solid rod.

After this is done then assemble everything back as it was. I hope this will help someone out there who have had problems fixing rear shocks on a vintage GT LTS 4

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi folks, I'm selling my 1996 STS GT for sale complete or parting out. Check it out and let me know if you want anything:

http://forums.mtbr.com/classifieds/f...t-1043688.html

99mikegt
    I found this on a local craigslist for $250 Thinking about grabbing it and making a rail trail- kid puller bike to avoid using my $6k trail bike on pavement. Plus these bikes have always seemed cool to me. Does anyone have any idea what year it is or any other info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    im slowly rebuilding Everything Gt Lts-20170901_062010.jpgmy 97 gt lts 4 its taking a bit but she's totally worth it

mtbr member
    your a life saver the one on my 97 gt lts 4 totally crumbled to nothing it had been sitting out in the weather for 3 years before it was finally givin to me im going today 9/1/2017 and getting the parts thank you so very much for the info its pictured here the one standing in front of the big screen tv

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Still love this thing. Bought new in 1997 upgraded to bearings in 1999.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

'97 GT LTS-1 ... I think?

Hi, Hope I'm posting in the right place. I was happy to discover this forum because I found what I think is a 1997 GT LTS-1 at a yard sale. I picked it up thinking I could at least cannibalize some parts for my very well-used '91 Stumpjumper Comp, then I learned that the bike has a bit of a cult following.

Condition is nice: no dents or scrapes on the frame, components seem very little used. It has Deore XT derailleurs, 8-speed shifters, and V-brakes, LX cranks and hubs with Mavic 221 rims. It had a funky gel seat and BMX pedals (changed in the pictures).

It has one issue I could find: the pivot bolt on one side of the seat stay is obviously wrong and the hole in the bracket is very slightly ovalized, and the "dogbone" may be stripped. Other links seem tight. Front and rear shocks work smoothly. The stanchions on the Rockshox Judy had "lizard skins" boots and I guess it was put away wet because there is surface rust on the tubes. Bike rides great, everything was adjusted correctly.

It's an 18, which turns out is probably too big for me (5'8", you can see my correct seat height in the pictures), so I'm thinking to sell it either complete or as frame only. Anyway, just wondering if this bike is sought after, what it might be worth and how to go about selling it. I have it listed on my local CraigsList at the moment, but no response so far. Pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/eejBBPG

Any help, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Selling an LTS in that shape above $100 may be a challenge even to a collector in my opinion because:

1. Parts for LTS are either expensive or hard to find and even though per you, the bike rides fine, the stress in the area with the missing pivot bolt is probably receiving unevenly concentrating forces so it can likely cause more damage that's irreparable. So if the buyer did want to restore it, now they have to cannibalize another LTS of that vintage.
    2. That Judy is in bad shape with rust with lowers it is probably contaminating but it's unlikely its been serviced.
    3. The rear shock probably hasn't been serviced recently either.

It is a sought after bike in areas like California, Washington, other places where mountain biking is popular but the biggest issue is that missing bolt. If you're looking to make money off of it, I think that'll be hard but if some commuter guy doesn't care much and just wants a Point A to Point B bike and you'll get whatever you can out of it, then it should sell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks for your input. I wasn't thinking of making money on it, I got the bike for less than what I would have to pay for a couple chainrings, so even if I strip the parts and recycle the frame I'll be OK. It just seems a shame to recycle the frame for lack of a couple small parts. I am in California in a pretty popular mountain biking area, so I'll leave it on Craigslist for awhile and if it doesn't sell scavenge the parts and get my Stumpjumper up to snuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    In that case since you're in California, go $175 because you'll definitely get low-balled on CL.

If it doesn't sell still, I'd recommend:
    1. Strip the frame of all parts including the rear shock including removing the BB and headset (if you have the tools).
    2. Take some Mother's or aluminum polish, spend 30 minutes cleaning up the frame.
    3. Remount the rear shock.
    4. List it for the same price because you may get low balled but not as bad. Buyers will focus more on the shiny frame, forgive the missing frame bolt and take it as is.
    5. If you have a bicycle parts recyclery (we have one in Seattle), turn in those old parts for store credit and now you have a rainy day fund should you need like derailleur cables, housing, saddle, etc.

I build a few GTs, heck, my RTS is at Sea Otter as we speak!
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/gt-bic...tter-2018.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks for the tips! Oh...Richard Cunningham (your link) I remember him. But do you remember HER (on a Cunningham bike):
    Name:  Phelan2-1.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  99.6 KB
    I have a lot of pictures from the 1983 and 1985 NORBA Nationals which were held here in Santa Barbara, CA.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    No, I can't say that I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I just got a lts not sure what year or if its a 1 or 2. Im not sure how to tell. It was missing the cranks and bb. Can anyone tell me what size the bb and cranks were. I would greatly appreciate ive tried almost every combination i have in the shop. The chaniring is hitting the chain stay. The only way i was able to make it rideable was by using a 130somithing mm spindle with a 40t chainring. The chain is so far over it falls off. I need all the info i can on this bike. Please help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The GT LTS-1 bikes from 1996 use a 73 mm x 113 English bottom bracket with a Shimano Deore XT, 22/32/42T crankset.

That said, not every square tapered crankset is going to work with every square tapered bottom bracket - and as you have experienced, that's due to causing problems chainline clearance issues. For example, a basic Shimano Altus FC-M311 requires a 123 mm spindle square tapered BB - it will not work with any other spindle width very well.

So, my advice is:
    1. Figure out how many speeds you are planning to run front and back.
    2. If you don't care for original spec, you can spend under $100 for a decent crankset that will include a 68/73 mm dual compatible bottom bracket. SR Suntour makes a nice looking and solid 1x 30T Zeron for $70 USD that works very nicely for 8-11 speeds. As well, SR makes a 2x crankset that includes a bottom bracket and is also a good solid choice.
    3. In all honesty, at this point, the time you're going to spend tinkering, swapping and possibly getting only mediocre performance, you'd be better off getting a contemporary BB and crankset for it as it really expands your options and ehances the ride of the bike as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hello, does anyone have the geometry for the GT LTS 1 ? I had one a long time ago and have seen different size frames for sale but I not sue I would be buying the correct size for me. I want the biggest size they made, XL or 21 inch. Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Shock seal replacement

Hi I'm new here and I'm wondering if there's any sources that sell seal kits for the rockshox deluxe rear shock it looks like the one I posted in the picture. Seems the seal around the piston rod is fine just need a new piston ring. And also how to add oil to it would be a great thing to know.

P.s the picture is from a user in this thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-photo6123.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ask the guys on the Facebook GT LTS and STS Owners Club because a lot of them do their own rebuilds, such as Dave Lockwood.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GTLSRXOC/

mtbr member
    Anyone else have bearing in their chainstay / dropout pivots on an LTS rather than a spacer between the nut and bolt? Had a bolt snap recently and it had a bearing in it. I have't seen anyone offering a replacement kit for this pivot that has a bearing in it. Spacer seems to have worked ok and tightens up well.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think I know what part you are talking about. The chainstay/dropout pivot part is available from this group:

https://www.mountainbikecomponents.c...nk-bearing-kit

I upgraded to these and it works very well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Gt lts 2000

I bought my GT LTS 2000 new in June of 1998 from the local bike store. It has remained mostly in the original condition from the day I bought it. In the pictures I had a local machine shop CNC 25 bearings for me. I am researching to see if I can add disc brakes this year.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UnZ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yES...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ib1...ew?usp=sharing

Everything Gt Lts-gt-lts.jpgEverything Gt Lts-bearnings.jpgEverything Gt Lts-gt-reciept.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quick question my 1996 lts-2 gt crank bearings are getting abit rough ive rebuilt them there smooth for now but won't last long. I got the original shamano bb-m950. Was wondering what's modern or still easy and descently cheap will fit this bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by magedx9 View Post
    Hi I'm new here and I'm wondering if there's any sources that sell seal kits for the rockshox deluxe rear shock it looks like the one I posted in the picture. Seems the seal around the piston rod is fine just need a new piston ring. And also how to add oil to it would be a great thing to know.

P.s the picture is from a user in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by yfrnaks View Post
    Ask the guys on the Facebook GT LTS and STS Owners Club because a lot of them do their own rebuilds, such as Dave Lockwood.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GTLSRXOC/
    Morning - I can rebuild it and have the seal kits.

Cheers Dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Years later... I had the same issue on my 94 LTS, but I took the shock to my friend who is a helicopter mechanic, and we took the whole thing apart, flipped over this little paper thin aluminum plate, and reassembled/repressurized. It has worked fine for +12 years now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by P0rkbutt View Post
    Years later... I had the same issue on my 94 LTS, but I took the shock to my friend who is a helicopter mechanic, and we took the whole thing apart, flipped over this little paper thin aluminum plate, and reassembled/repressurized. It has worked fine for +12 years now.
    Lts didnít come out til 95...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    My mistake. Bike was built in oct. '94, came out '95.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dlocki View Post
    Lts didnít come out til 95...
    My mistake. Referenced manufacturing date by accident.
    Last edited by P0rkbutt; 08-12-2018 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Double post.

mtbr member

Everything Gt Lts

Quote Originally Posted by corvettec5dave View Post
    I bought my GT LTS 2000 new in June of 1998 from the local bike store. It has remained mostly in the original condition from the day I bought it. In the pictures I had a local machine shop CNC 25 bearings for me. I am researching to see if I can add disc brakes this year.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UnZ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yES...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ib1...ew?usp=sharing

Name:	GT LTS.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	1205414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bearnings.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	1205415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GT Reciept.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	1205416
    I just a local add for a 98 that looks brand new (in fact I initially that it was your bike pics and a scam). The price isnít bad and Iíve thought about as a FS to play with since Iíve never ridden one.

Never mind. It sold tonight apparently.
    Last edited by Jollyrogers; 08-13-2018 at 06:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Look what just popped up for sale near me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idrive.fan View Post
    Look what just popped up for sale near me.

Were you able to buy it before it was gone?
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

mtbr member
    I actually think it's still listed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Everything Gt Lts-gt-bike.jpg

What do you guys think, should I buy this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Hey everyone. I am hoping this thread can help me.

I had owned and amateur raced a GT full suspension back in 1993, I think. I was 19 years old. I am having a hard time trying to find exactly which model it was.

The things I distinctly remember that it was touted as being the first GT full suspension, and had rockshox fork in the front and a yellow polymer thing as the rear suspension. I can not find any pictures of this particular model.

I think it was an LTS, but can't say for sure. Any help appreciated. I did peruse this thread, but did not find this model??

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Try LTS 5 ...i have one but for some reason MTBR doesn't like the way i post pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
    Try LTS 5 ...i have one but for some reason MTBR doesn't like the way i post pics
    Thank you. I do think that is the correct model. Pictures on google images look like what I remember. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hi everyone. I'm extremely new as I havent even purchased a bike yet. I'm considering a LTS 2000 from craigslist. Can someone with knowledge on these please help me out? Link to bike below

https://bend.craigslist.org/bik/d/be...874205783.html

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hello All,
    Looking to put my 1997 LTS 3 up for sale. Looking for some feedback on a asking price?

Original owner
    Owners manual, and original receipt
    Risse rear shock - Still have stock rear
    Cane Creek Headset
    Easton EC70 Carbon Bars - Still have stock bars
    Fox F80RLT Fork
    WTB Laser Seat

Also included a set of GT LTS bushing replacement kit (19322)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-lts-3-.jpg  

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Members who have read this thread: 16