Dropper post on GT Avalanche- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Dropper post on GT Avalanche

Hey all,

I was wondering if any on had installed a dropper post on their Avalanche. I was hoping to get a KS e20 with 125mm of travel, but the 425mm overall length looks to finish a tad too high, so would need to go go the shorter 100mm travel version.

Any other recommendations in the more affordable end of the spectrum?

Cheers

Sneaker man
    Brand X Ascend II
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Hey,
    Did you end up getting a dropper post?
    Or better yet did you figure out how to install the dropper post with this "stealth routing"?
    I don't get the bracket below the bb, it seems to have routing coming out of the frame and goes back into the seat post, but that routing bracket you can't fit a cable housing in it.

Sneaker man
    I don't think you go with a stealth/internal routed dropper, you'll need an external routed one.

mtbr member
    It actually comes with a opening near the bottom of the seat tube, so it's made for internal dropper post as per the advertised statement from GT regarding this bike.
    My question is like most internal routing the cable from the front of the frame (internally) goes down towards the BB then goes up toward the seat post.
    My GT Avalanche routing system goes internal from the frame but all cables (brake, shifter) comes out of the frame tube near the BB, then the brake/shift gets zip tied to the bottom rear frame.
    I have as I said have an opening for a cable to go up into the seat post, but I don't know why the cable is so slack coming out of the frame into this opening.
    There is a "plastic bracket" that screws into the BB, but has space for a brake/shift/front derailleur cable (which I don't have installed), and thats it, no more space for a cable for the dropper post.

mtbr member
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/12lEY7ecUPqlpYgPwpn-75OWW_LhJDdIo/view?usp=drivesdk

Image of what I'm trying to explain. The far left cable is the dropper post cable that I forced into the equation. I feel that there must be a better organized way to route this cable.

Sneaker man
    OK I was assuming since the OP was talking about a non cable operated dropper that we weren't talking internal, as older versions of Avalanche wouldn't have had the port for it at all.
    For me, I 've only ever added an external dropper to a bike, or had an internal one that came o the bike and i never touched it. Maybe a pic of where the cable goes into the seat tube? But I would imagine (not knowing too much) that the cable/housing is too long, causing it to be slack, maybe.

mtbr member