mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Does the new AOS system have the creak problem of the iDrive?

Hello everyone, I have been searching through this forum and I haven't found the answer yet. I've been looking into possibly buying a GT sensor but I'm concerned about the "dreaded creak " Ive read about that GT had on the idrive system. And for what it's worth I am very new to the sport of mountain biking so bear with me if this is a ridiculous question

So my question is, is this an issue on the revised AOS system?. Or simply put, are there any chronic problems or reasons to avoid a GT with the new AOS system? Thank in advance.
    Last edited by thecelt; 05-02-2016 at 03:02 PM.

mtbr member
    What creak? I have a 2014 and I hear nothing and I have never had to service the bike? Not seen it mentioned in here either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    "dreaded creak"? News to me; and I researched the hell out of this new bike before I bought it. Googled until I could google no more.

Are we talking about the new AOS system, or the idrive? They're two totally different things.

Granted, I've only had my Helion for about a month now but have been riding it steadily and heard nothing. I love the way he suspension feels. Much better than my old FSR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    From what I was reading, people refer to it as the dreaded creak and it was on the iDrive system. I'm curious if that is something that continued to the AOS or if it was remedied.

If you search this forum for the term "creak" there are alot of results. There are threads on the first page of this forum talking about how to fix it. It seemed to be somewhat of a chronic problem GT had with the idrive system, and i was hoping it was not an issue on the AOS as ive been looking at the Sensor.

I just edited my original post to be more clear. Im basically asking if that same issue carried over from the idrive to the new AOS system.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Even more simply put, are there any chronic problems or common problems with the GT sensor that I should be aware of?

I actually edited the thread title and a good part of the post to state my question more clearly. And I appreciate the help everyone. I just bought a diamondback recoil to get into the sport , but the more reading I do the more I want something a bit better and GT sensor would be in a reasonable range for me to consider. But I like doing my research first, and I don't like any vehicles that are prone to common problems.
    Last edited by thecelt; 05-02-2016 at 02:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have the 2016 Force Carbon X, no creaking. I am very happy with mine. Sensor has the same AOS and my friend has two Sensors (he works for GT). Neither of us have had any issues. That said, any suspension bike will require maintenance. Bearings and pivots will not last forever. I would say the first item to wear is the DU bushing on the rear shock. The most disappointing maintenance intense bike I have owned to date is the Santa Cruz tallboy LTc. The toughest and most durable with least bearing and pivot issues are the GT Force and Cannondale Trigger. For full disclosure, all my riding friends work for GT and Cannondale so I am biased.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    That's great information, and thank you.

mtbr member
    As already mentioned same here.

mtbr member
    mine creaks from time to time and maybe more-so than comparable other suspension designs... but, I've found relief for these "creaks" by consistently spraying lubricant into each rear suspension pivot location between rides (also, spraying compressed air) to alleviate the "problem"... although modern suspension designs use a sealed cartridge bearing system they are not completely "press-fit" having some play potential between bearing races and pivot bolts/rods... therefore some creaking can occur....!

....although, another problem I ran into with building my GT Sensor Elite was that two of the rear suspension pivots that used the expanding collet design were overly tight at the Factory resulting in minor crushing of the cartridge bearings... something that I reported to GT Bikes and they sent me some replacement bearings... I've yet to change them out but, I did adjust the "pre-load" on the bearing/collets to reduce the pinching of these bearings.... I would have liked to have gotten a bike that didn't use these expanding collets on the pivots... I believe the Force does not use them.... but, there are always advantages and compromises.... I could go on....

mtbr member
    I also think it depends on where you ride, how you wash the bike etc. I still remember how a week in Whistler would destroy a my DH so it would need a new rebuild.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by thecelt View Post
    Hello everyone, I have been searching through this forum and I haven't found the answer yet. I've been looking into possibly buying a GT sensor but I'm concerned about the "dreaded creak " Ive read about that GT had on the idrive system. And for what it's worth I am very new to the sport of mountain biking so bear with me if this is a ridiculous question

So my question is, is this an issue on the revised AOS system?. Or simply put, are there any chronic problems or reasons to avoid a GT with the new AOS system? Thank in advance.
    -- I have a GT Helion and I don't no weather it's because it's still a relatively new bike but the A.O.S works a dream, I have not heard a single creak out of it. id recommend it. The sensor has a different geometry to the Helion though so I can't comment on that specific model, but it is one of, if not the best rear suspension design's I've experienced --

mtbr member
    I've had three idrives the creak was never a pivot problem .
    It has always been a simple clean and lube the removable drop outs and done.
    " I don't ride park"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thing I donít like about it is the location of the rear shock, gets sprayed all the dirt and water that touches the rear tire, needs some kinda deflector or something to help keep the shock somewhat clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manuelS View Post
    Thing I donít like about it is the location of the rear shock, gets sprayed all the dirt and water that touches the rear tire, needs some kinda deflector or something to help keep the shock somewhat clean

I prefer the older lay out my GT distortion has , shock stays pretty darn clean where it is especially after I put a micro mud guard on the rear triangle .
    " I don't ride park"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    I prefer the older lay out my GT distortion has , shock stays pretty darn clean where it is especially after I put a micro mud guard on the rear triangle .
    I replaced the mini stock mudguard with a bigger one and no problem
    Okey it's a little bit clutter in comparison with previous models, but nothing terrible.
    On my 2014 Sensor, I'm yet to hear a creak from my linkages. I'm in the process of replacing every bearing (some were a little bit dirty and worn) but just because I was bored, as I've said, no creaks.

GT Zaskar '97
    GT Sensor Carbon '14
    GT Grade Carbon '17
    GT Bump '17
    GT Zaskar Carbon LTD '16
    GT Sanction Team '17

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey t-stoff what shock is on your sensor? I was under the impression that a reservoir shock wouldnít fit on the sensor?

mtbr member
    Yap, with other piggybacks the reservoir would touch the frame, now with this new one the problem is only in the can. That's a Fox DPX2, it barely fits on the carbon version, I think is all about the carbon hole, some frames may have it bigger than others. On mine I put in a small rubber band around where it touches and it only touches on one side but it's passable, from time to time I replace the rubber band and the can is untouched. Now on the alloy the hole is big enough and there's no need for precaution, on our group of friends we have 3 DPX2 mounted on sensors, 1 on mine (carbon) and 2 on the alloy ones its one of the biggest improvements on these bikes!;D
    PS: we all replaced the OEM bearings with the top ones from Enduro Bearings.
    The difference is huge.
    GT Zaskar '97
    GT Sensor Carbon '14
    GT Grade Carbon '17
    GT Bump '17
    GT Zaskar Carbon LTD '16
    GT Sanction Team '17

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cool! Building a 2016 Team Carbon right now. Iím putting max load enduro bearings and I will be using an xfusion microlite for now but that fox is on my definite upgrade list. Even if a regular float dps Evol fits in that would be cool. I measured and it just didnít seem like it would work at all. Thanks for the info!

GT:The ride of your life!
    Jul 2008
    Hello,
    One could say, what is the measure of GT Helion carbon dropout bearings?
    In the manual it only says this code ...KG005N04 - KIT HWARE SS CS CARBON..
    In the links are 6902 - 2rs ...
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Rodriguez View Post
    Hello,
    One could say, what is the measure of GT Helion carbon dropout bearings?
    In the manual it only says this code ...KG005N04 - KIT HWARE SS CS CARBON..
    In the links are 6902 - 2rs ...
    Thanks in advance.
    Hello, I was checking here:

https://issuu.com/monzaimports/docs/...igital_edition

(on the last pages you have a reference to the kits needed for each bike)

and I noticed that the bearing kit for the Helion is the same one for the Sensor (at least the dropouts one).
    So it must be 4 of 6800 10x19x5 (two on each side)
    But you have to confirm!
    On another note, those were the only ones working well from the whole bunch when I replaced my set.
    GT Zaskar '97
    GT Sensor Carbon '14
    GT Grade Carbon '17
    GT Bump '17
    GT Zaskar Carbon LTD '16
    GT Sanction Team '17