CUSTOM 90's GT MTN "budget" ebay build with prices - Awesome!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

CUSTOM 90's GT MTN "budget" ebay build with prices - Awesome!

Hello,

I am a BMX transfer and a lifelong GT fan...I wanted to build a MTN/Road bike so I bought an old school 90's GT frame and started from there. Originally this was supposed to be built on a limited budget (like $500 bucks haha) and things escalated from there.

Below you'll find the breakdown and final pics. I know I spent too much on it (so easy on the "you could’ve/should've" comments). I probably could've bought a much nicer bike for the money I spent, but I got what I wanted with this build so I'm ok with it...the prices are included for any other noobs who are thinking about building a bike from scratch - if you buy a complete used bike to start with your money will probably go a lot further.

My goal was continuity throughout and I think for the most part I achieved that.

*This is my first build - keep that in mind and go easy on me *

Thanks for looking!

Parts and Prices (including shipping) - new unless otherwise stated (all except seat from ebay)

2 - 90's GT (Avalanche?) frames - $105
    Custom GT decals (3 sets) - $17.50
    Ritchey Straight handle bars with GT locking grips - $27
    Origin-8 bar ends - $15
    GT seat post bolt - $9
    Rear Derailleur Hanger - $18
    Kona XC/AM stem - $17
    Cane Creek Aeroheat 26" MTB wheel set, Specialized FATBOY tires, SRAM 8sp cassette, and skewers (used) - $202.50
    Drivetrain package - SRAM SX-5 Rear Derailleur and Shifters with Shimano Alvio Front Derailleur - $60
    3 - Headset spacers - $5
    GT quick release seat bag (old school) - $18
    White Brothers SC70XC fork (used) - $122
    ITM Four Alloy Seat post (used) $12.50
    2 - Catamount CatCages $16.50
    Bontrager Big Earl platform pedals - $40
    FSA Orbit MX headset - $30
    Origin-8 MTN Crankset - $55.50
    Origin-8 URBAN PRO Saddle - $28
    TRUVATIV GIGAPIPE ISIS bottom bracket - $12
    Jagwire (blue) Brake/Shifter cable kit - $14
    FUNN brake levers (used) - $15.50
    Lizard Skins brake lever grips - $4.50
    Lizard Skins fork boot - $13
    Flat black vinyl sheet - $5

Service

Powder coating frame (flat black) - $125
    Assembly and Shimano brakes - $150

Total parts and labor (minus $50 for using only one frame)

$1,137.50

Frame before powder coating (this is the smaller of the two frames I received - the one I used looked just like this but larger)

White brothers fork in the condition it arrived in (I broke it down re-greased it and put it back together - took off all of the decals - wraped matt black vinyl around the bottom tubes which were nicked up a bit - trimed the upper decals and re-applied without the red trim, and put lizard skin protecter on it becasue I heard that the seals on the old White Bro's forks were not very good - these are marked 98' on the box and came with two sets of springs and the original registration card)

Decals (a guy on ebay has these - I just requested some custom sizes for a better fit)

Finished Pics:

Used skateboard grip tape for chain protection

GT Seat bag!

With accessories! (the small bag was taken off of a bookbag I had and it happents to fit pretty well under the triangle)
    Last edited by Megaman 2; 10-03-2010 at 02:41 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Looks nice, but you should uncross your derailleur cables. The cables shouldn't cross in front of the headtube. That way you don't have to cross them again under the down tube.

mtbr member
    Wow turned out nicely!
    But you could have easily had three or four low mile Zaskar's or Zaskar LE's for what you have invested in this one.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Thanks fellas -

it's wierd my bike shop would cross those cables - could there be a reason for it?

I built enough BMX bikes to stop caring about what the frame's called...but if I saw a $350 Zaskar as nice as this bike - I might consider a purchase
    (I really do like those new carbon Zaskars!)
    Last edited by Megaman 2; 10-03-2010 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaman 2
    it's wierd my bike shop would cross those cables - could there be a reason for it?
    There are people that feel that crossing the cables this way reduces cable casing from rubbing on the head tube. If you look at the picture you can clearly see that the cable casing tends to stay clear and away from the head tube when they are routed this way. Rather than constantly resting against the head tube. If anything they look a tad long but I'm sure they will work just fine the way they are routed.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    There are people that feel that crossing the cables this way reduces cable casing from rubbing on the head tube. If you look at the picture you can clearly see that the cable casing tends to stay clear and away from the head tube when they are routed this way. Rather than constantly resting against the head tube. If anything they look a tad long but I'm sure they will work just fine the way they are routed.
    Thanks so much for the reply!

I guess I won't worry about them too much right now then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    WOW! Great looking bike. Well done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkairplane
    WOW! Great looking bike. Well done.

Thanks KK!

mtbr member
    Looks great! Love the seat bag too.

mtbr member
    Cable routing tends to be personal preference with the goal to have as smooth a route with as few curves as possible. Some companies set up there cable stops so you don't have to cross the cables on the down tube and some due. I run all of my bikes with the cables going to the opisite side of the head tube. It keeps the housing off of the bike and makes for a larger curve radius on the housing.
    I like seeing guys who put this much time into a bike and really make it there own. Looks great.
    Were you just looking for a cool commuter? Are you riding it to work?
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    Were you just looking for a cool commuter? Are you riding it to work?

Thanks for the cable info and the compliment!

I like the idea of having something unique and something I can say I had a lot of input in - although the tripple triangle is what makes this bike and most GT's look so great and I can't claim that to be my own.

I wish I could ride this to work, but I'm in sales and commute a couple hundred miles a day. I just wanted a cool ride for the weekends and after work when the weather is nice. I have another set of wheels for off road...I'll try those out after I get my legs back!

mtbr member
    Some more photos of process and parts.

Frame used before powdercoating:

...and after powdercoating and decal placement:

Parts

This is what the fork looked like before I hacked it up -but It had too much red for me:

Last edited by Megaman 2; 06-28-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Great looking bike! You did an awesome job. Lovin the black and blue

I wanted to make a project out of my old aggressor but I ended up selling it since a guy made me an offer that I just couldn't refuse. I can buy 2 aggressors for what he paid me for mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

mtbr member
    That is pure sex mate. Love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Looks great love the flat black on blue definatly one of a kind
    2017 SC Tallboy.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much guys!!!

I really, really appreciate the kind words. I like how it turned out, even though there are definately some lower end parts that I would love to replace (when I find a briefcase of money on my doorstep).

I am currently building the other frame I got in the original ebay auction with some old bikes I had lying around (along with some new parts to jazz it up of course) Im aiming at a $200 build. Its gonna be a single speed street bike, I've already got the knobbies on the black and blue one.

Maybe Ill post pics of my progress when I get a chance

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaman 2 View Post
    . I just wanted a cool ride for the weekends and after work when the weather is nice.
    It is going to be hard to listen to your iPod over the sound of pure awesome that bike radiates.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    this is a great build, gave me ideas for my future build.

mtbr member
    Thanks again guyz!

@ michaelscott - too funny man - but the more I see other people's newer and nicer builds the more I realize that the Black and Blue is a bit of a turd (but my turd)

@zwordz - thanks and awesome! You better take pictures and post them! Can't wait to see what you come up with...check out my other build I just started here

Huckin' trails
    How the stickers did without clear coat over them ?

I'm afraid they won't last too long and start to peel off or scratch easy.

Let me know.

Thanks,

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    How the stickers did without clear coat over them ?

I'm afraid they won't last too long and start to peel off or scratch easy.

Let me know.

Thanks,

David
    I was very concerned about the decals without clearcoat but mine have held up. With that being said, I am (and have to be) careful when handling the bike. After I noticed that they are a little fragile, meaning that they can peel off or get bumped out of shape if hit against something hard, I ordered 2 extra sets. I only run into this problem because the person I ordered these from used a thicker (cheaper) vinyl. If you get thinner vinyl you wont have any problems. The best way to go, if possible, is to use factory decals like I did on my other project, they are actual stickers and will hold up as well as the old factory stickers. If you are going with vinyl, I would say don't clear coat them, this way you can remove them and replace them without worries. Even with the clear there is a chance they get bumped and if you have the clear on it will be a lot more of a process to replace a single decal. (I've tried it and it was a disaster for me) The vinyl won't fade, and they are not really prone to scratching as much as you would think. I can still peel them off pretty easily if I tried even after all this time, but again that's because mine are thicker. But that blue still pops off my bike like you would'nt believe. Hope this helps.

Huckin' trails
    Yah, thanks for the info.

I just finished my new frame design and ready to post it out to get some reviews...

The decals would be custom made, so I'm better to order a few extra sets... I will get the frame sandblasted and powder coated matte black, same as your, but with green instead of blue.

I will try to get thin vinyl, as always, but I was wondering about a factory look i.e. where the stickers are flush with the paint and cant be feel by touching (using clear-coat). Like the others GT I have.

Come check out the design soon.

Thanks,

David

Edit : There it is : http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...46#post8220146
    Last edited by David C; 07-08-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    If you clear coat it...it won't be flat black anymore. If you try to clear with a semi-flat it will may affect the decal look. I think you'll be dissapointed if you try and coat the powdercoat with anything...because it wont ever look as good as a fresh powdercoat (especially if youre doing flat black)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Absolutely beautiful!. I'm ride a 2009 GT Sanction 2.0, which is my first bike since 1993ish? Hunter Green GT Timberline FS. Well done!

REALLY?
    Only thing I cant get into are I think the decals are a bit overdone, that aside, nice for your first build...what's important is your happy and that the bike suites your needs, you built it with specific needs/wants in mind. I doing two builds right now, one is a 92 Richter 8.0 single speed commuter, touring, utility, offroad do everything bike, the idea is not to upgrade its stock 20 year old parts, just update them...will cost around 1k or less...the other is a 09 Peace 29er that is a serious weekend warrior race machine and will tip the dollar scale at around 4k, it to is single speed (no suspension). Bikes can be at both ends of the scale depending on needs/wants. Another thing you might consider as someone else mentioned, buying used, I to have seen really b*tchen Zaskars sell under 1k. I only suggest this because if you collect/build bikes as I have most of my life its usually better to start with a half painted canvas, and go from there, and if you shop right often you can end up with a bike twice as nice as a new one for the same price or a little more. Anyway, good job, keep up the good work. Will post my Richter build soon, its almost done.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Only thing I cant get into are I think the decals are a bit overdone.
    I totally agree with you on the decals now that I've had it for a little while. I was actually thinking about which ones I wanted to take off (probably whatever ones get f'd up first) I had black decals I was going to use to make it look really stealth, but when I saw the blue, I just thought it would look cool. The great thing about the vinyl is they come off real easy. I totally agree with buying a semi complete bike...for some reason buying a part at a time seems more reasonable and then it adds up and Im like "oh fudge".

REALLY?
    Yup, my 29er is being built one part at a time new parts (the prices are crazy, 500$ rear hub, 300$ brake levers), on the other hand, the Richter is being put together with all my best used stuff I already have or acquire...mostly stuff made in the last 5 years or so...nothing pro level, but mostly equivalent to top of the line XT bikes from 20 years ago or so.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Yup, my 29er is being built one part at a time new parts (the prices are crazy, 500$ rear hub, 300$ brake levers), on the other hand, the Richter is being put together with all my best used stuff I already have or acquire...mostly stuff made in the last 5 years or so...nothing pro level, but mostly equivalent to top of the line XT bikes from 20 years ago or so.
    $500 rear hub! My keyboard is now soaked with Mountain Dew lol. Wow, you should definately post your builds, Im sure I will get a good education from them...it is certain that you know a lot more about building a bike than me. Def keep us posted with your progress...even if its just the frame and some parts scattered on the floor.

mtbr member
    awesome bike
    Last edited by ymduhh; 07-31-2011 at 07:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ymduhh View Post
    awesome bike
    Thanks - here's a more recent pic. Now its got some comfy tires on it and Ergon grips.

(Next one will be white )

REALLY?
    $500 rear hub! My keyboard is now soaked with Mountain Dew lol. Wow, you should definately post your builds, Im sure I will get a good education from them...it is certain that you know a lot more about building a bike than me. Def keep us posted with your progress...even if its just the frame and some parts scattered on the floor.
    I don't know if I know more, but I definatly have a lot of experience, in fact, last Friday was my 36th anniversary riding/repairing bicycles (got my first bike 5th b-day). Actually, may be a change of plans, I'm trying to pull the trigger on my favorite G.T. of all time, a late model Psyclone. My Peace 9R build was actually sort of a tribute to an XTR grouped Psyclone I owned 15-17 years ago (was first generation XTR), the idea was to build a bike nicer then my old Psyclone. If I do get the Psyclone - and minus the White Bros carbon fork and Avid BB7s I just bought for the 9R - everything will be switched from the 9R to the Psyclone. Some parts include a Thomson stem/seat post, Avid Speed Dial Ultimate brake levers, Shimano Saint cranks, Answer Rove pedals, WTB Pure V leather Ti seat, misc small parts. I was going to buy Chris King hubs (for the 9R) but the Psyclone already has Shimano XTR hubs (and XTR v-brakes), so I will use those. Sure friend, need any help or advice, hit me up or pm me...will do the best I can. Here are a photo of my 92 Richter 8.0. (trivia - Richters are made from the same tubeset as early Psyclones - essentially, Richters are tig [Psyclones are fillet brazed] welded Psyclones). The Richter is almost done, deciding if I want to put RaceFace cranks on it or late 1990's or early 2000's (year?) Shimano LX cranks (that are on the Psyclone I want to buy), also waiting on custom "Richter 8.0 decals for the top tube (ebay decal guy spelled Richter wrong). Also pictured is my 9R (Reynolds 520 tubeset)

Huckin' trails
    Those bikes looks good

Nice to keep those frame alive

David

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I still have my GT Tequesta I bought over 20 years ago with the stock bull bars and ride it all the time. I have always loved the triple triangle.

mtbr member
    Hello,

I am a BMX transfer and a lifelong GT fan...I wanted to build a MTN/Road bike so I bought an old school 90's GT frame and started from there. Originally this was supposed to be built on a limited budget (like $500 bucks haha) and things escalated from there.

Below you'll find the breakdown and final pics. I know I spent too much on it (so easy on the "you could’ve/should've" comments). I probably could've bought a much nicer bike for the money I spent, but I got what I wanted with this build so I'm ok with it...the prices are included for any other noobs who are thinking about building a bike from scratch - if you buy a complete used bike to start with your money will probably go a lot further.

My goal was continuity throughout and I think for the most part I achieved that.

*This is my first build - keep that in mind and go easy on me *

Thanks for looking!

Parts and Prices (including shipping) - new unless otherwise stated (all except seat from ebay)

2 - 90's GT (Avalanche?) frames - $105
    Custom GT decals (3 sets) - $17.50
    Ritchey Straight handle bars with GT locking grips - $27
    Origin-8 bar ends - $15
    GT seat post bolt - $9
    Rear Derailleur Hanger - $18
    Kona XC/AM stem - $17
    Cane Creek Aeroheat 26" MTB wheel set, Specialized FATBOY tires, SRAM 8sp cassette, and skewers (used) - $202.50
    Drivetrain package - SRAM SX-5 Rear Derailleur and Shifters with Shimano Alvio Front Derailleur - $60
    3 - Headset spacers - $5
    GT quick release seat bag (old school) - $18
    White Brothers SC70XC fork (used) - $122
    ITM Four Alloy Seat post (used) $12.50
    2 - Catamount CatCages $16.50
    Bontrager Big Earl platform pedals - $40
    FSA Orbit MX headset - $30
    Origin-8 MTN Crankset - $55.50
    Origin-8 URBAN PRO Saddle - $28
    TRUVATIV GIGAPIPE ISIS bottom bracket - $12
    Jagwire (blue) Brake/Shifter cable kit - $14
    FUNN brake levers (used) - $15.50
    Lizard Skins brake lever grips - $4.50
    Lizard Skins fork boot - $13
    Flat black vinyl sheet - $5

Service

Powder coating frame (flat black) - $125
    Assembly and Shimano brakes - $150

Total parts and labor (minus $50 for using only one frame)

$1,137.50

Finished Pics:

With accessories! (the small bag was taken off of a bookbag I had and it happents to fit pretty well under the triangle)

Very nice! Looks good!

Don't feel bad, I've put about $2k into my lowly '93 Outpost commuter!