Can I convert my 1992 Karakoram 26" to a 1X?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Can I convert my 1992 Karakoram 26" to a 1X?

Hi all,

I have an old GT and am going to start using it as a commuter bike on a regular basis.

I noticed the shifters of the front derailuer are falling apart and had an epiphany: convert it to 1X. Specifically, get rid of the front deraileur and retain the rear deraileur.

Is this possible? If so, what would I need to buy/do? I want to keep the costs as low as possible ( or free ) to do this conversion since it's an old bike.

Thanks for your input in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    1992----hmmm I'd just shift to the front ring you want and then do not touch it again---or buy a new shifter off ebay for near nothing--others can tell you more on 1X but it will not be near free

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    1992----hmmm I'd just shift to the front ring you want and then do not touch it again---or buy a new shifter off ebay for near nothing--others can tell you more on 1X but it will not be near free
    This crossed my mind - thanks!

Also, I'd like to make some minor changes to the cockpit: shorter stem and wider bars. I'm going to ask my bro what he still has - had a similar bike. Otherwise, I could find something on Ebay?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Converting to 1x for commuting is really easy. Replace your chain rings with a narrow wide chainring (Race Face/Wolftooth/Absolute Black/etc) and get single speed chainrings bolts. That is all you need. Remove front shifter and derailleur.

Done!
    Last edited by blkangel; 5 Days Ago at 03:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Concert to 1x for commuting is really easy. Replace your chain rings with a narrow wide chainring (Race Face/Wolftooth/Absolute Black/etc) and get single speed chainrings. That is all you need. Remove front shifter and derailleur.

Done!
    I don't want to go single speed, I want to go 1x. I want to keep my rear derailleur and cassette. It might be too much trouble for an old bike such as this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by norbyd View Post
    I don't want to go single speed, I want to go 1x. I want to keep my rear derailleur and cassette. It might be too much trouble for an old bike such as this.
    Sorry I was typing fast. I meant to say singlespeed chainring bolts. Because you will need shorter bolts to connect the chainring to the crank. Everything I said above is accurate.

I corrected my post above to read correctly.