mtbr member
    Aug 2017

2003 GT Avalanche 3.0.... Give me some good upgrade ideas!!!

What's up everybody? I am currently riding a 2003 GT Avalanche 3.0 and I am new to the MTB full world, and as I look around through this site, I find I am WAY out of tune with the MTB world.

Been riding this bike since 2003, where I weighed in at 170lbs... bike was dope then! I now weigh in at 260lbs, and notice I put a lot more stress on the bike.

Frame seems pretty solid, but wheelset sucks. Bad thing is, I am not wanting to spend an arm and leg on wheels, so hopefully there is something out there better than the stock set, for $150 or less. I researched, but can only find wheelsets with disc brake mounts, which seems to be wide than the 100mm I have(unless I am wrong)

Please let me know your thoughts.

TIA

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Here's the bike...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sneaker man
    yeah finding 26inch non disc wheels is gunna be hard, at least good + not expensive.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    yeah finding 26inch non disc wheels is gunna be hard, at least good + not expensive.
    What I noticed though was the disc wheels are 135mm. Correct me if I'm wrong. Bad thing is, I am 100mm wide forks therefore I can't even slap it there and use v-brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrowe View Post
    What I noticed though was the disc wheels are 135mm. Correct me if I'm wrong. Bad thing is, I am 100mm wide forks therefore I can't even slap it there and use v-brakes.

The standard dropout width was 135mm rear, 100mm front. That's what your bike has, and what most bikes had in that era.

The hub width doesn't have anything to do with what brakes you use, unless I'm missing your question.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Check these out. These guys build strong wheels that have lasted me a long time in the past.

http://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/MTB...-xt-6bolt.html

Sneaker man
    yep 100mm font, 135 rear...

but you can't just slap disc wheels in and use them with v-brakes, well you might, jsut that dics brake wheel rims don't have a brake track on them. ow some will be built up using v-brake compatable rims (well old ones), some will be built using rims that will jsut be a rim and while not billed as a v-brake rim, will work just fine...but most will have a rim that the profile won't work with v-brakes, there' no flat braking profile at all.

But why do the wheels suck? are they always going out of true? Braking spokes? Some actual problem

The wheels tfinator linked will do the job perfectly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    The standard dropout width was 135mm rear, 100mm front. That's what your bike has, and what most bikes had in that era.

The hub width doesn't have anything to do with what brakes you use, unless I'm missing your question.

Thanks for the info. I guess what I meant is that most of the front wheels with disc brake mounts are 135mm. My front is only 100mm. How do I fit them in, or is there 100mm drop out with disc brake mounts?

Can most rims handle v-brakes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the info. I guess what I meant is that most of the front wheels with disc brake mounts are 135mm. My front is only 100mm. How do I fit them in, or is there 100mm drop out with disc brake mounts?

Can most rims handle v-brakes?

The only bikes with 135mm front wheels are very early surly pugsleys. If you can point me to where you're getting this information maybe I can understand the miscommunication.

The dropout you need is a 9mm quick release (qr) for a 100mm hub.

The only rims that work with v brakes or cantilevers are those with a brake track on the rim.

Most mtb come with disc brakes now. You could put the disc brake wheels on your bike, provided they are 100mm front qr and 135mm rear qr, but the rims likely would not have a brake track. So, you wouldn't be able to brake.

The wheels I posted have hubs that are disc brake compatible, but the rims can be used with your rim brakes, which is the important part.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The only bikes with 135mm front wheels are very early surly pugsleys. If you can point me to where you're getting this information maybe I can understand the miscommunication.

The only rims that work with v brakes or cantilevers are those with a brake track on the rim.

Most mtb come with disc brakes now. You could put the disc brake wheels on your bike, provided they are 100mm front qr and 135mm rear qr, but the rims likely would not have a brake track. So, you wouldn't be able to brake.

The wheels I posted have hubs that are disc brake compatible, but the rims can be used with your rim brakes, which is the important part.

Who needs brakes?!?! Lol

I will see if I can come across that 135mm deal again, but the info you supplied is great. Thank you

Any other recommendations for upgrades?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

So would something like this work? And support a 250lbs rider?

http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com...SABEgKLTvD_BwE

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So would something like this work? And support a 250lbs rider?

http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com...SABEgKLTvD_BwE

Thanks.

Unfortunately no. If you look at the rim, you can see there's no brake track. Those wheels can only be used with disc brakes, and not the rim brakes you have.

Another option would be to sell your bike for the $100 it's worth, assuming everything works on it, and spend another few hundred to find an upgrade. Maybe there's a closeout at your lbs they can hook you up with.

Depending on what you want to change on it, that might end up being the best deal, even if the up front cost hurts more.

But, only you can decide that. It is hard finding production wheels to reliably support 260lbs rider, so that may also be there limiting factor.

Sneaker man
    but again, what is wrong with your current wheels, if you go cheap wheels, they may not necessarily be any better than what you have now.

and basically your going to find that 90% of disc wheels won't work with v brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Basically Mik_git,I keep popping spikes. Maybe stronger spikes would work???

I thought about trying to find a softail frame and throwing some of my parts on it, therefore the shock takes some of the impact that the rear wheel is seeing currently.

Thoughts?

Sneaker man
    ah well, yeah stronger wheels then. Do a spoke (thats spoke not spike) count, if less than 36, go 36 spoke.

Soft tale, maybe, could also make it worse, as you get used to it, you'll just hit stuff harder. Also a decent soft tale is going to blow the budget big time.

Only ever broken 2 spokes, back in 1992 when I was way lighter (and had 36 spoke wheels ironically), but not since - well except for a huge crash where something went in the front wheel and ripped 8 out) and I've weighed around 245lb for the last 10 or so years. But then my wheels have been spendy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeah I've gone through 11 spokes in the last three years or four years, but this year so far I haven't broke any, but then again I'm doing most of my riding with my young kids right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    What does a brake track look like? For V-brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It will be silver (the exposed AL) and flat on each side of the rim.

Sneaker man
    brake track:

without:

rim that doesn't have an actual brack track, but could possibly be used as one... not encourage, may cause issue, may be perfectly fine:

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Ah... makes sense. Thanks

Sneaker man
    also brake track doesn't have to be the silvery un painted/treated surface, can be painter/anodised or whatever, but it soon rubs offand loos terrible unless it ceramic (but that'll be out of your price range...but geez the exalith coating on my road rims is super duper awesome,with they did it for mtb)

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    also brake track doesn't have to be the silvery un painted/treated surface, can be painter/anodised or whatever, but it soon rubs offand loos terrible unless it ceramic (but that'll be out of your price range...but geez the exalith coating on my road rims is super duper awesome,with they did it for mtb)
    Awesome, thanks for info. One more question... what is a good spoke that I could buy and just respoke my current rims that could/would make them more robust... if this is even possible???

Yhanks

Sneaker man
    DT or sapin, wheelsmith, single gauge spoke (no butting or shaping)