Starting a weekly Sac River ride in Springfield, MO- Mtbr.com
    Bike Dork

Starting a weekly Sac River ride in Springfield, MO

Hey folks I'm the new guy and framebuilder in the area and I'm planning to start a weekly weekday after-work ride at Sac River starting from the shop downtown(see sig). I'd like to start next month or soon there after. I'm thinking that we'd all meet at the shop and leave just after it closes at 6 p.m. We can toss bikes in/on cars and head out if you don't have your own car. We can then give you a ride back to the shop after the ride.

The ride would be a no drop ride and last as long as you like, or the sun permits. New riders and women are particularly encouraged to show up. I'm trying to build up new riders and regular get-togethers. I'm sure there will also be a hammerhead contingent if you need.

Right now I'm looking for input about times and days of the week. I'm thinking leaving between 6-6:30 and mid week. . .say tues, or wed, or thurs. . . Any input would be great. If you think later 7:00 or mon or fri say so and we'll see what we can do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm game.I'm flexible,it will be a couple of months before it stays light that late.we've met, I put the lites in your little shop in the basement.I'll be watching for more info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sounds like a good idea. Sometime during the middle of the week, like you are talking about, should work well. I'll be watching this thread for the time that you decide on.

Bike Dork
    Thanks for the input. Thursday is looking like the day, but it also seems to be the day that the big local road ride takes place. I'm going to see what the cross-over is and see if it really matters or not. I'm also going to try and get the word out at the other shops and see if that helps.

campdog thanks for the newest light it's quite bright down there now.

dog lover-not in that way
    I like tuesday or thursday and 6pm is a good time, at least until summer.

This is a great idea and I'll help get the word out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If anyone is up for an interesting ride I suggest going out to Sac in the next day or two. I went this afternoon and there is still a lot of snow on the trails. This was my first snow ride and it was pretty sweet.

Looking forward to the Tues or Thur rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Starting a weekly Sac River ride in Springfield, MO-small1.jpg  

Starting a weekly Sac River ride in Springfield, MO-small2.jpg  

Starting a weekly Sac River ride in Springfield, MO-small3.jpg  

Starting a weekly Sac River ride in Springfield, MO-small4.jpg  

Bike Dork
    Being from the North I love riding in the snow. I'm surprised it not a total mud bog after yesterdays melt. Maybe I'll grab Paul and head out there tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I enjoy riding the Sac for a quick getaway...but as muddy as it has been lately, I have steered clear of the trail...

I think this is a great idea, but unfortunately I work nights and have school on my days off...

But kudos on getting something going!! We need a mountain bike club in Springfield... (At least there are none that I am aware of)
    experience life

Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

Bike Dork
    hesston I've got ideas for a club. I'm also working on a bikepolo club too. Busy, busy, busy. . .

Folks as far as the weekly ride it looks like Thursday leaving the shop at 6:15 or meeting at the trailhead at 6:30. When we actually start doing it I'll post again here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    hesston I've got ideas for a club. I'm also working on a bikepolo club too. Busy, busy, busy. . .

Folks as far as the weekly ride it looks like Thursday leaving the shop at 6:15 or meeting at the trailhead at 6:30. When we actually start doing it I'll post again here.
    Cool!! Well do please keep me posted!!! We need a mtn bike club in this town... I moved up from West Plains and need to meet some mtn bike people... I have met 1 guy in 3 months from here and one from South Dakota on the Sac.

I don't have a lot of free time or anything too special for biking, but would love to join up to get to know some people and see some trails I haven't done...
    experience life

Ozark Native
    its hard gettin a ride in this time of year if its not frozen. any chance we can get ya out of bed a little early for a morining ride?? all this is moot if I dont get a bike rollin soon!!

BIKE POLO!!!!!!!! now that sounds like a good time. how about some links so we can get prepared for the rules, equipment and other stuff ya got to have
    http://queencitycycles.com home of the shiftless bastards

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    anybody up for a snow ride on fri or sat?

Bike Dork
    campdog call Paul he's always up for a ride. I might be up for one if I get my shop back together today.

lil hillbilly check out http://leagueofbikepolo.com/ for a start. We're going to get something going in the spring. If nothing else we'll load up the crew and head up to one of the gatherings and throwdown.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil hillbilly
    its hard gettin a ride in this time of year if its not frozen. any chance we can get ya out of bed a little early for a morining ride?? all this is moot if I dont get a bike rollin soon!!

BIKE POLO!!!!!!!! now that sounds like a good time. how about some links so we can get prepared for the rules, equipment and other stuff ya got to have
    how early?
    experience life

Ozark Native

snow

looks like about 4in in the morn. perfect!!!!! 8am if ya can.....hang.

Ozark Native
    campdog call Paul he's always up for a ride. I might be up for one if I get my shop back together today.

lil hillbilly check out http://leagueofbikepolo.com/ for a start. We're going to get something going in the spring. If nothing else we'll load up the crew and head up to one of the gatherings and throwdown.

see this in Urban Velo??????http://urbanvelo.org/st-louis-24hr-p...photo-gallery/

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    this polo thing could be fun,my new fixie would be good for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    8 o clock ! in the morning !I don't think so ,maybe later

Ozark Native

give me a break

big *****
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    big *****
    I don't care who care who you are, that's funny

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    that sounds like a challenge I can't resist

Ozark Native

im a poser

mostly talk and as my son would say "wise guy".

mtbr member
    ugh, no can do. I work basically 1p to 1a 5 days a week and I am a student...
    experience life

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    so this ride you are putting together is for people not as experienced right? been a while since I have hit the trails but i'm game some nights

Ozark Native

its a ride

come as you are. if your really slow ya better bring some beers that we can drink wile we wait on ya. Im sure we can leave ya one!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i'm not really slow haha just not used to real technical rides

Bike Dork
    polock it's designed as a "no drop" ride and I'll most likely ride sweep. My main goal is just to get more people out on the trails. I'd love to get more inexperienced riders and women out in particular. In the end it's really an effort to grow the scene and visibility and viability of cycling on the area.

mtbr member
    polock it's designed as a "no drop" ride and I'll most likely ride sweep. My main goal is just to get more people out on the trails. I'd love to get more inexperienced riders and women out in particular. In the end it's really an effort to grow the scene and visibility and viability of cycling on the area.
    that, my pedaling friend, sounds awesome!
    experience life

mtbr member

I would like to interject one suggestion... if you start a "club" I think it would be advantageous to do a monthly ride on a area trail somewhere... Like Council Bluffs, Berryman or something... that I would definitely like to see as Springfield lacks this kind of a club. If the Ozark Trail group did a bike ride section, they would be HUGE ... but mostly as far as I can see () they just do trail building and hiking...
    experience life

breaks everything.
    Mar 2009
    i'm in! and i drive a truck. i'll watch this threat often.

breaks everything.
    Mar 2009
    about to crash (work nights) but ill be up at 5pm, ill check this thread then. if anyone's up for going tonight, post here, meet at shop at 6pm, and i can drive the bikes out in the back of my truck.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    If you guys do a weekend ride or a ride my way (Leonard Wood), I would be in. Don't see myself driving to Springfield during the week, have a hard enough time doing what needs to get done after work.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnSpectre
    If you guys do a weekend ride or a ride my way (Leonard Wood), I would be in. Don't see myself driving to Springfield during the week, have a hard enough time doing what needs to get done after work.
    Hey Spectre: being that you are from Ft Wood; Have you ever rode Trail of the Four Winds? @ Osage Beach/L of Ozarks? And have you rode Cole Creek, Lead Mine or Kaintuck?

If so, shoot me your thoughts on them...

I'm planning another week of riding...I did the Honey Run (which was a blast) and was thinking of doing the 4 winds trail among others.
    experience life

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    I rode 4 Winds when I first got here and my first impression wasn't good but I just had a discussion with Dan at Oz Cycles in Osage beach about that trail a few days ago. When I rode it, it was in the middle of summer and I stopped counting the ticks I had been pulling off of me during the ride at around 50 (one stop I pulled about 25). Also, since it is a multiuse trail (horses), there were portions that really sucked where it was just dug up and wasted from the hooves along with the dropping. That was my impression, Dan said that the best time to ride 4 Winds is during the winter and those problems are not present. I would definitely go up that way though, because you have 4 Winds, HoneyRun and Bittersweet all within a few miles of each other. Cole Creek was a decent trail but again it wasn't the best time to ride it when I did (hunting). A buddy of mine and I cut the ride short after running into several hunters out looking for something to shoot at and we figured...us+speed+sound=not good for us. It isn't ridden very much but we were able to not get lost. There are some rocky areas but overall, I would ride out there again. Kaintuck, not maintained at all. The first mile of it, you'll be fighting the brush but once you get onto the hills it's a great ride then you get back into the brush and fighting again. I wouldn't recommend it unless you park in a certain area and I'm not sure how to get to that parking area. Haven't ridden Lead Mine. There is another ride in the area (McGruderville, south of Rolla) but Tom McGruder only opens it up on certain days to the public.

That was the long of it. The short of it. If you liked Honey Run and you want something with some more play time, go to Bittersweet. 4 Winds would be a good ride now. Cole Creek is a good ride. Forget Kaintuck. I think I posted reviews of all these trails on singletracks.com.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnSpectre
    I rode 4 Winds when I first got here and my first impression wasn't good but I just had a discussion with Dan at Oz Cycles in Osage beach about that trail a few days ago. When I rode it, it was in the middle of summer and I stopped counting the ticks I had been pulling off of me during the ride at around 50 (one stop I pulled about 25). Also, since it is a multiuse trail (horses), there were portions that really sucked where it was just dug up and wasted from the hooves along with the dropping. That was my impression, Dan said that the best time to ride 4 Winds is during the winter and those problems are not present. I would definitely go up that way though, because you have 4 Winds, HoneyRun and Bittersweet all within a few miles of each other. Cole Creek was a decent trail but again it wasn't the best time to ride it when I did (hunting). A buddy of mine and I cut the ride short after running into several hunters out looking for something to shoot at and we figured...us+speed+sound=not good for us. It isn't ridden very much but we were able to not get lost. There are some rocky areas but overall, I would ride out there again. Kaintuck, not maintained at all. The first mile of it, you'll be fighting the brush but once you get onto the hills it's a great ride then you get back into the brush and fighting again. I wouldn't recommend it unless you park in a certain area and I'm not sure how to get to that parking area. Haven't ridden Lead Mine. There is another ride in the area (McGruderville, south of Rolla) but Tom McGruder only opens it up on certain days to the public.

That was the long of it. The short of it. If you liked Honey Run and you want something with some more play time, go to Bittersweet. 4 Winds would be a good ride now. Cole Creek is a good ride. Forget Kaintuck. I think I posted reviews of all these trails on singletracks.com.
    Sweet.

Thanks for the info!
    experience life

Bike Dork
    OK, so I'm thinking that the first night will be March 18th. This is the first Thursday after the start of daylight saving time and should give us light until 7:30ish. We should have a good hour to ride. Again if anybody knows anyone who just starting out bring them along and I'll hang in the back and give them a hand.

BTW I rode Sac the other day and noted there is a ton of trail building going on and a whole lot of thorns. So expect to ride some different trails and make sure you've got a patch kit or sealant.

I can't weld
    Rode today....not a good experience.

Even the trails that looked dry were like pimento cheese spread just below the surface. Mud clogged my chainstay bridge and fork brace. I walked 3/4 of the route. The only ridable trails that could be linked together were on the east side along the highway.

Trails will MAYBE be okay in 2 weeks, if we don't have any more precip.

boomer
    When I travel to SF on biz I'll throw a bike on the rack and hook up; I love riding there.
    Calvin

I can't weld
    Update:
    Trails are great. 100% improvement from last Sunday. Surprising what a week of decent temps and some wind will do.
    I'm especially impressed with the trailwork done along the river on the west side. The trails appear to have been cleared, swept and graded. Impressive. Even some troublesome drainage streams have been rerouted.
    Just in time for A&B's Specialized demo day tomorrow. I'll probably go back to check that out.
    Only the usual problem spots are still muddy. The long, straight trails that cut across the fall line in the middle of the park are still the worst, but they are walkable or avoidable.
    Almost all the rest of the other mud holes now have ridable dry lines.
    Why are you reading this? Get out there, its going to rain next week!

breaks everything.
    Mar 2009
    The spec demo (sunday) was fantastic. the best i've seen the trails since late summer.

Bike Dork
    Well tomorrow will be the first ride if folks want to go. It'll be sunny and 60s, so the ride should be nice if a bit sloppy. Meet at QCC between 6-6:15 and we'll head out. If you haven't been out in the last few weeks there are new cuts for tails just littered with thorns. So bring a spare tube. . . or three.

Looking like a great day. I'll be there with an open spot on my bike rack if anyone needs a ride.

Bike Dork
    We had a great ride last night with 6 riders showing. With 417markg on my butt most of the ride we were flying in a few spots, but stopped at all intersections for the tail section. The trail was great with very few mucky spots. Anyway, I hope to see more of you next week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm interested in trying to catch some of these rides....and especially if we get a mtn bike club going. I actually live at the Seville (downtown) so getting to the shop is easy. Me and a couple guys from work are going out there this thursday (the 25th) around 4:30ish. Its one guys very first time, so we will be taking it easy showing him the ropes if anyone else wants to come out....

mtbr member
    would like to join, but I am working...

On the Mtn Bike club, someone needs to get one started...it would be amazing... If I wasn't already in grad school, working 50 hours a week and more, I would do it myself... There are a lot of bikers in the area that are looking for a club to get into.
    experience life

Bike Dork
    The "club" is a good ways off, but it is kind of the goal. Sort of a dirt version of Springbike. This summer I'm going to expand the rides to add a Sunday ride somewhere other than Sac River sometime this summer.

mtbr member
    the sunday ride, at least bi-weekly, I could attend.
    experience life

No riding today;

Bike Dork
    Yea, Paul and I were talking yesterday that we'd ride even if it was raining a little, but we're now getting to flooding stage. Bummer, but at least there's always next week which is supposed to be sunny starting on Monday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I got a ride in on wed ,started raining as i got in the truck

I'll be at the shop at 6. Rode sac yesterday and the new trails are starting to get some use. Hopefully we can add a little traffic tonight.

mtbr member
    Is it actually dry? I figured the trail would still be muddy.
    experience life

Quote Originally Posted by hesston
    Is it actually dry? I figured the trail would still be muddy.
    No, it's not bad. There are the regular spots that don't drain very well but the new trail is bone-dry.

With today's wind it should be perfect.

Great ride tonight. We focused on hitting the new trails; they make it like a whole new park.

I can't weld
    Outer trails were groovin' today, before the rain started. It's been heavier than I was hoping it would be. Not sure if the trails will be ready to ride again on Sunday, maybe worthwhile to check out.

I can't weld
    I've started a Sac River Twitter feed. Check it out for trail reports and race reminders. Address is http://twitter.com/sacrivertrails
    Please post your trail photos and reports on twitter with @sacrivertrails in the text and I'll retweet them.

mtbr member
    anyone ride sac today? if so, how was the tread?
    experience life

I was there around noon. The trails were mostly dry with the normal spots pretty swampy. I just rode and re-rode the new sections and had a blast. They are going to be so much fun once they get bedded in.

I'm seeing more and more of the old trails closed; if there is orange paint on the trees next to the start of a trail it is slated to be closed. They are closing them by cutting down thorn trees across the trail. I think it's an improvement but I'd love to see some signage added for the newbies.

GTL
    mtbr member
    Very, very nice finish at OC Mr. G.
    Le Tour de Tick MTB Race every April - 04/25/10 www.missouritrailssociety.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by GTL
    Very, very nice finish at OC Mr. G.
    Thanks, I had a good day. I'm hoping for some dry trails at Tour de Tick

GTL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 417markg
    Oh yea, so are we... dry, dry, dry...
    Le Tour de Tick MTB Race every April - 04/25/10 www.missouritrailssociety.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    speaking of which... where can I get an area race/tour schedule?
    experience life

Here's a spreadsheet I made up.

<iframe width='1000' height='600' frameborder='0' src='http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tGKNug-z79DTEfM9l8BpErA&single=true&gid=0&range=a1%3Ai28& output=html&widget=true'></iframe>

No offense to any promoters on the race importance; it's just for my scheduling. I'd like to race every week but if I have to miss a race I try to make sure it's not one of my A's.
    Last edited by 417markg; 04-06-2010 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks!!!

Not that I have the bike or skills to compete yet... But I would like to go see a few of these to get an idea of what level I should be up to.
    experience life

Thanks!!!

Not that I have the bike or skills to compete yet... But I would like to go see a few of these to get an idea of what level I should be up to.
    You should give it a shot. Here are some of reason's I like racing;

• Pre-marked courses; no chance of getting lost
    • No worries about horses, hikers or traffic going the other direction; go as fast as you want
    • Good motivation to train in the winter
    • Ride trails you might not otherwise
    • Meeting other mtbr's

Skills and race worthy bike are optional

GTL
    mtbr member
    Whew, just tired looking at that Mark! Ya otta try Devil's Den - unfortunately it conflicts with a another good show - KC Cup

GTL
    mtbr member
    speaking of which... where can I get an area race/tour schedule?

MO
    http://www.midwestfattireseries.com/
    http://www.unitedindirt.com/

AR
    http://www.ambcs.com/

KS / OK
    http://www.tourdedirt.org/

And most are on facebook

Bike Dork
    Mark that is one serious damn schedule. I may try to get a race in sometimes this year. I think the last time I raced an MTB was in '91 or '92. I'm thinking about the Eureka Springs FTF as I've heard it's a fun weekend.

mtbr member
    You should give it a shot. Here are some of reason's I like racing;

• Pre-marked courses; no chance of getting lost
    • No worries about horses, hikers or traffic going the other direction; go as fast as you want
    • Good motivation to train in the winter
    • Ride trails you might not otherwise
    • Meeting other mtbr's

Skills and race worthy bike are optional
    Well I am going to do some training at least...

I would like to at least be in decent shape before I get slaughtered on a race

Then I can blame it on my bike!
    experience life

GTL
    mtbr member
    B. For great weekend long events you can't beat Eureka Springs, Devil's Den or Slaugther Pen. All have events for Short Track, Downhill or 2cross, XC and Observed Trials.

GTL
    mtbr member
    btw - just missed you last week at the shop. Musta got out for an early ride - lucky!

Bike Dork
    GTL I bought a house so I'm moving my shop to the house. I don't have any actual scheduled houses at the shop. Hopefully by the end of May I'll have everything else back together.

GTL
    mtbr member
    Congrats on the house!

mtbr member
    hows the sac tread this week? is it really mudddy after the rain or did the brief drought soak it all up?
    experience life

I can't weld
    hows the sac tread this week? is it really mudddy after the rain or did the brief drought soak it all up?
    I'd love to know too. I'm guessing we'll be golden towards the end of the week. I'll forward any response to the @SacRiverTrails Twitter account.

I rode out there last night and there was NO mud. They need to mow around the parking area but the trails are in great shape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Rode a couple of hours this morning and it wasn't bad. There's a little mud in a couple of places but most of it is easy to bypass.

Ozark Native

IMBA rules

when ya say bypass I hope ya mean that ya just didnt ride the trail. Most of the issues at Sac are due to riders makin the trail wider by trying to go around a puddle of water. Stay in the trail even if it means gettin you bike dirty! http://www.imba.com/about/trail_rules.html

just a little reminder to us all

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    when ya say bypass I hope ya mean that ya just didnt ride the trail. Most of the issues at Sac are due to riders makin the trail wider by trying to go around a puddle of water. Stay in the trail even if it means gettin you bike dirty! http://www.imba.com/about/trail_rules.html

just a little reminder to us all
    I meant bypass as in the mud didn't go all the way across the trail or wasn't completely soaking wet. Besides being an irresponsible thing to do, you'd have to be crazy to ride off trail at Sac (THORNS!).

Bike Dork
    Hey is anyone still going out Thursday evenings? I dislocated my shoulder a few days ago, so won't be able to ride for a few more weeks. Hopefully things aren't fizzling out.

When I do come back I'll be riding really mellowly, so get your new riders, kids, spouses, co-workers, etc prepped and ready and I'll lead them out.

Bummer about your shoulder. I ride every Thursday evening (weather permitting) so I'll be there.

Get well soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone doing a ride this weekend or Monday? I'm in town for a few days and rode Sac River yesterday. Enjoyed it. Followed the race (?) makers.

mtbr member
    Are these rides still happening?
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    Are these rides still happening?
    I guess 2 weeks without a reply means the rides are no longer happening. It should be good riding this weekend, though. You're welcome to ride with our group; 1-3 riders at most. Like to ride pretty fast. (Of course just when you think you're fast, someone puts you to shame) Might ride this Saturday and Sunday. 29er or 26, hmm.

mtbr member
    I am old and fat, but at least I am slow. ;-)

Sounds like I need to shed my blubber and lighten up my 37lb Colorado beast before I hit you guys up for a ride. Oh for the money to drop on a 650b xc bike...
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Members who have read this thread: 0