Need Greenleaf State Park info- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need Greenleaf State Park info

There are apparently 2 trailheads here. Where is the best place to park/start? I drove into the park today and found the north trailhead, but it looks like maybe I want to start at the south trailhead? Any other info?

Dec 2007
    Where is the best place to park/start?
    i only know about the trail head by the camp ground i have never ridden at green leaf but have hiked it the lower part to Marys cove would be a good ride and the primitive campsite beyond may be ok the rest it really rocky but very senic with bluff shelters and views of the lake it remind me of Arkansas hiking trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The best place to park is by campgrounds, facing away from them. The trail head is just a short distance away.
    My son and I have ridden it 3 or 4 times(maybe less for Robert). The last time I rode there, over a year ago, the 2 loops were in poor condition. Really overgrown.There was a person known as the Trail Man, who was allowed to live there because he took care of the trail. I believe that for health reasons, he was no longer able to care for the trail.
    That being said, it's a great ride, about 18 challenging miles if you go out to the primitive campground and back.Always thought it would be a great bike camping ride. Like the trail reviews say, allow plenty of time and carry spares.
    Last edited by ssinglesspeed; 12-07-2008 at 05:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    One more thing, the first loop after the suspended bridge gets almost all the traffic, the primitive loop is a little harder to follow. Look for markers on the trees.

Sep 2008
    The Greenleaf mtb trail is closed right now for hunting season. I think it opens back up 03-01-09 for biking/hiking ect.

My son and I rode the mtb trail there 09-13-08 when Hurricane Ike came through.

Greenleaf is hardcore. Stay on the lower/lake side trail, it is almost all rideable with great scenery. The upper trail is hike-a-bike and almost all unrideable.

Park near the trailhead in the campground. Follow the trail south along the lake to the highway. Turn left/east and cross the lake on the highway bridge. Then turn left/north just after the safety rail on the highway stops.

Turn left/north a few feet after crossing the suspension bridge to get on the lower trail. We saw lots of deer along the trail. One camel back per person is almost not enough. Take stuff to eat as well.

Here's some pic's we took and a worthless map of the park. It doesn't show any of the trail on the east side of the lake.

http://picasaweb.google.com/itzoomz/2008GreenleafBikin#

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tinstar
    The Greenleaf mtb trail is closed right now for hunting season. I think it opens back up 03-01-09 for biking/hiking ect.
    thanks for posting this, I was thinking about going out there to hike, to skope out the trail conditions, in the next couple of months... I guess not...

here's a scan of an old trail map that I once found somewhere... - MAP

and a ride report w/ lots of pics I took from several years ago... - PICS

it's one of my favorite trails, too bad it's in such bad shape now...

Sep 2008
    Great write up cooldaddy!

Mind if I add your topo map to my greenleaf photo's?

I have a partial gps track of gl and want to try to add it to a map.

We plan on going back this summer and running a track on at least the lake side let.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    go right ahead & use the map, I haven't found anywhere else on the internets...

Quote Originally Posted by tinstar
    Great write up cooldaddy!

Mind if I add your topo map to my greenleaf photo's?

I have a partial gps track of gl and want to try to add it to a map.

We plan on going back this summer and running a track on at least the lake side let.

mtbr member
    Well I went out last week. I really wish I had time to ride more, but after the suspension I took the upper loop and rode out 4 miles. This is a kickass trail! By a very good rider, it's 95% rideable. I walked a couple of spots because all the leaves were pretty slippery, but in the spring they would be rideable. My parents moved to about 40 minutes from there, so I'll definitely be back in the spring to ride the whole thing.

As far as finding the trail goes, where it kicks out to the highway was what confused me, but I figured it all out.

Sep 2008
    cooldaddy, Thanks, I'll add it to my photo page!!

hitek79,

Any official word if its opened back up from hunting season?

The last weekend that we were there in October I was told it's closed over the winter for hunting.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I really have no idea. How would you know? No one was in the shack at the entrance when I came through, and I didn't see a sign or anything. There were a couple of fisherman on the lake, but other than that, I didn't see another soul, or hear any gun shots.

Sep 2008
    We camped overnight and spoke to the caretakers when they came by and the game ranger. We got in late on Friday and started setting our tent. The game ranger saw us and lit up our camp site with his spot light while we pitched the tent. He was a great guy that seemed interested that we have a good time there.

Both stated the mtb area was closed during hunting season but I don't exactly remember when it opened back up.

boomer
    The trail is open now and not in too bad of shape, especially when compared to years past. I rode there Tuesday when the temps were sweet and posted a few pics here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=729

Instead of parking in the lot at the official trailhead I always head south and take the first left and descend down to the lake via auto. Beware tho it's a rough road. As far as the leaves go does anyone know if they ever leave that trail? I only know it covered with 'em.
    Calvin

Members who have read this thread: 0