• 05-25-2010
    Veruca Salt
    National Forest/BLM camping near Rapid City?
    Hello. We are heading up to Rapid City to partake in the Black Hills fat tire fest. We have a camper and a few dogs and are interested in "informal" camping sites. National Forest roads or BLM land where there are no fees and formal campsites. Looking for an area that will be safe/legal for the dogs to chill. Unfamiliar with the area so if you guys have any ideas, please be specific.

Thank you for any info!
  • 05-25-2010
    surlytman
    Because of the recent heavy rains most travel is being limited (gates closed) for the next few days. The next best bet would be a Forest Service Campground such as the Ones at Sheridan Lake since they are the closest to town.
  • 05-25-2010
    Deadman
    The Alkali Creek Campground/ Centennial Trail Trailhead near Sturgis at I-90 exit 34 is open. This is about 25 minutes from ground zero though.

http://www.blm.gov/mt/st/en/fo/south.../ft_meade.html
  • 05-25-2010
    Veruca Salt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by surlytman
    Because of the recent heavy rains most travel is being limited (gates closed) for the next few days. The next best bet would be a Forest Service Campground such as the Ones at Sheridan Lake since they are the closest to town.

Do you think these closures near town will be an issue for the weekend events. I suppose I should call the National Forest service. Thanks!
  • 05-25-2010
    surlytman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Veruca Salt
    Do you think these closures near town will be an issue for the weekend events. I suppose I should call the National Forest service. Thanks!

NO! They will not, they are just trying to keep the rednecks off the roads with their trucks and quads. Our trails drain pretty well, and the Sodak wind dries them out fast.