Des Moines Jumps- Mtbr.com
    Mountain Dew enthusiest

Des Moines Jumps

Is there anywhere near Des Moines where there are any good jumps/drops/ladder bridges?
    wishes Iowa had mountains

'11 Transition Bottlerocket frankenbuild
    '09 Origin-8 Interrogator frankenbuild
    '80 Rumme

mtbr member

No ladder bridges, but...

Jumps and drops under construction at Summerset State Park; lots of good transitions to work with and already some lines to huck if you're willing...

Come turn a shovel this spring.

mtbr member
    wait a second, jumps/drops in iowa? im going to be down in des moines in about 2 weeks and im aching to get some air, and more importantly dirt, under my tires.

im also going to be going to koleje at iowa state so i would very much appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of some fr/dh type trails in the des moines, ames area.
    god built south dakota saying "i dont want anybody to ride MTB here, im going to make it suck ass." so it sucks ass Luke 4:2

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There are some dirt jumps in Ames on south 16th street in between Jack Trice Stadium and Coldwater Golf Links.

mtbr member
    kickass doode. anything else?
    god built south dakota saying "i dont want anybody to ride MTB here, im going to make it suck ass." so it sucks ass Luke 4:2

HIKE!
    po0ptruck, I'm guessing your signature is referring to East River?

Get out to this: www.bhfattirefestival.com

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by black_taco
    There are some dirt jumps in Ames on south 16th street in between Jack Trice Stadium and Coldwater Golf Links.
    unless those have been massively reworked in the last couple years they are smallish bmx type jumps that are horrible on the mtb. and there's not much for dh/fr in the area. sorry. but those new jumps in DSM look rad.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    nope. dakota dunes, southeastern most tip of the state. its basically sioux city but its on the other side of a river.

Yeah, I'll Ride That
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    unless those have been massively reworked in the last couple years they are smallish bmx type jumps that are horrible on the mtb.
    The jumps at south 16th in Ames have been mostly re-built in the last 2 years. Nothing too big, but we re-built the main line to have 3 jumps of around 12 to 15 feet each. Also, last fall we finished off the line with a 7 foot tall dirt quarter and the end with a telephone pole for coping. Some other smaller possibilities exist, but the main line gets the most action. We also had some north shore action in the woods, but it floods alot and it is all crap now. Some other "illegal" jumps exist in Ames, but we've got into some trouble with them in the past. I don't live in Ames anymore, but if you want to jump head over to Bike World and find Marc...he knows whats up!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    po0p-- Head West River! Join the fun!!

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i also haven't been in ames in a while, and don't even have a jump bike. this is mark who worked at irwins and works for kyle at his new shop. jumps in ankeny/des moines are of a bit more interest to me, but good to know that south 16th thing got reworked in ames. might have to check that out if/when i get a more jump capable bike.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    sparrow: the dunes is where ya dont have to save more than a weeks pay to afford a turner. when super bored, wed go outside and watch the parade of escalades, bimmers, lexus's and hummers drive by in the mornin. thats where my last station was before i moved on up to the north side in a dee-lux tv signal in the sky.

poop: theres 2 of us accross the stream with '07 rfx's and we is headed out to the fest next month. its a must doo. get it? doo? poop? i slay me! anyway, i hear the local dirt is rideable again. were doin ponca on sat afternoon and stone sunday early pm. i also wanna hit some weenie urban soon and see if i can get my drop legs back before we head to the hills. wanna come slum with us? pm or email me if yer interested.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Yeah, I'll Ride That

More South 16th

Yup, I'm bored. Here's a few pics of the re-built line in Ames.

Also, the Skate park in Ankeny is a good time if you're more down that way. I've heard good things about other parks in DM, but haven't been there personally.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i can vouch for the ankeny skate park. i live in ankeny and all the bmx kids love it. but i've poked around there, or looks very doable on a 26er.

man, those rebuilt jumps in ames looks sweet. maybe it is time to get a jump bike....

Yeah, I'll Ride That
    Yeah, I've been to Ankeny on a 26er and it has some nice features. My bro has been putting some work in there and they should be good to go. The skate park in ames is alright as well, but "technically" no bikes are allowed, however most people don't care.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmgrapid
    po0p-- Head West River! Join the fun!!
    west river? where you talking about?

mtbr member

May 10 -- build the hucks/berms

We've got a monster line to refine during our next workday at Summerset... Ridgeline screamer into a 20 foot transition...

We'll be creating the lip and ironing out the transition, then shaping a 3+ foot tall berm to manage speed through a left turn. Fun line.

We'll need help with it, along with two other berms that manage speed in similar lines.

Please come turn some dirt!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    po0p-- Just commenting on your quote about SD--Look at the BHMBA website! Many things happening in the Black Hills!!!

mtbr member

Time for some big stuff

We're putting in some huge bermed corners and two good drops/jumps this Saturday morning (May 10).

We've rented a Bobcat to do most of the work, too.

Come get it dialed. Ride it when we're done.

First hucks... what could be better?

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i would be there in a heartbeat if i didn't work in a shop. but i come out when i can (rarely) and help with what i can(been mostly 7 oaks related), but yeah, sweet. definitely gonna ride the hell outta that place once it gets done being built. and i get any kinda time off.

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    I couldn't get out there and help. Is it done? if so is it open?

'80 Rumme

mtbr member

Not done; come out May 24

Quote Originally Posted by alex55
    I couldn't get out there and help. Is it done? if so is it open?
    See here and here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We definitely need all the hands we can get on the 24th. Four hours of time is not a lot to ask in exchange for a kick ass place to ride. The trails don't build and maintain themselves.

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    I want to do some actual off-road riding this weekend. Are the Banner trails ridable/open/worth my time to go down there and ride? By the way I am planning to help out on the 24th.

'80 Rumme

mtbr member

'Riverside' trail open; needs traffic

There's a 1.5 mile trail open on the south end of the park. The north end is rideable as two distinct sections but is not officially open.

Ride Center and/or Seven Oaks and/or Ahquabi this weekend. Join us at Summerset next weekend.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i rode the north section of the sycamore trail today. (from NW 62 in johnston down to bridge and back) and it was in pretty good shape except for 2 huge mud holes i carried around. trails are finally shaping up around here. woot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What he meant by West River is west of the Missouri River in South Dakota. Obviously from your signature, you haven't been out to the Black Hills much at all. Black Hills Fat Tire Festival is where its at in the next week of May. See if ya can make it out here. We also have one of the best public DJ parks in the nation going in as we speak. I have been running a Ditch Witch for about 30 hours over the past week so I'm tired as hell but things are looking great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    hey sorry to re open this thread, but i was on google and it popped up. I am moving back to ames for the school year, and I have been looking for somewhere to do a little dirt jumping... are any of these spots in the ames/DM area still there? I know there is the skate park by the park in ames, but i really want to hit some dirt!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    BMX track in Ewing Park is probably your best bet. Des Moines, southsiiiiide.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hey sorry to reopen a wayyyyy old thread, Iím from Ankeny just south of Ames and wondering if this spot of dirt jumps is still around, if so does anyone have better directions? or if there are any new spots? Happy to help dig as well!! Please let me know

Members who have read this thread: 6