Dakota 5-0- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dakota 5-0

Curiously ambivalent
    Jul 2009

Dakota 5-0

Haven't seen much discussion on the Dakota 5-0 yet this year - anyone else going?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yessir (but I live in the Black Hills), biggest year yet for the Five-O and sold out. It will be a gas as always.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm in. My 5th or 6th time. Big crowd coming from OMaha area..

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm coming from St. Louis. My first time in Spearfish. I cant wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    First timer. Been staring at the map and elevation profile on my office wall for 6 months and can't wait.

Can someone tell me about the steep section near mile 33? Appears to be about a mile of 10%+ grade. Is this a road connector or singletrack?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Coming in from San Diego for a fun weekend. Looking forward to seeing the Spearfish back Country.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm planning on it, first time. Decent number of others from the Des Moines area signed up as well.

Curiously ambivalent
    Jul 2009
    For those that have ridden this course before, how "technical" is it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Tires?

This will be my first time out there as well. Can anyone make any tire recommendations?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerTex View Post
    This will be my first time out there as well. Can anyone make any tire recommendations?
    The course is a mix of hardpack, loose over hard and some rocky areas. I have done the race twice on a Maxxis Ignitor / Crossmark 26x2.1 combo, this worked well (but you will have to take care of the Exception-series tires in the rocky sections, I flatted last year). This year I will be running a Schwalbe Nobby Nic / Racing Ralph 29x2.25 SnakeSkin combo, this will be overkill but should be worth a few grins. Anything in-between will get the job done for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickweed View Post
    For those that have ridden this course before, how "technical" is it?
    Technical is pretty subjective, here is a photo of one of the more technical bits on the trail that you get to negotiate both up and down: IMG_0621 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The rest of the photos in that set are of Tinton Trail, the lower part, which is both miles 3-7 and miles 43-47 or thereabouts on the way back.

The majority is pretty easy riding, hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Can someone tell me about the steep section near mile 33? Appears to be about a mile of 10%+ grade. Is this a road connector or singletrack?
    Not 100% of exactly the section you're speaking of, but it should be the section at the top of the "Ballpark" climb, which is singletrack, just before the infamous Bacon Station and the start of the new DakoTA Ridge trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Man I miss this....I moved away from SD for a job in NC.......no place like home! HAVE FUN!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I used ignitor/crossmark combo last year on a 29er. I will likely do the same this year, or swap the crossmark for a plumper XDX to soften things a tiny bit. I think you can get away with "mico nob" race tire if you wish.

mtbr member
    Rode the course yesterday. Conditions were good, but it was pretty dry/dusty out there. It rained ALL DAY here today, so course should be in GREAT shape for Sunday!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Fubar Rider View Post
    Rode the course yesterday. Conditions were good, but it was pretty dry/dusty out there. It rained ALL DAY here today, so course should be in GREAT shape for Sunday!
    Other than being a bit dusty and loose in a few corners (which the rain today should put the kibosh on) the course seemed very well groomed. The 2-Track-Attack between Sheep Flats and Ball Park seems to have been graded, some of the super narrow overgrown sections between Old Baldy and Sheep Flats have been cleaned out and the course just seemed pretty fast overall to me. There are also a couple of very small re-routes, one shortly after crossing the Iron Creek drainage and the other leaving Sheep Flats, that straighten the course out a bit and might be good for a minute apiece. Will be expecting to see a new course record when I (eventually) roll across the line.

mtbr member
    Did you ride the "Two Bridges" section from Tinton Trail to Big Hill. The fast descent into the bottom has that REALLY loose crap, as well as that short steep climb in the middle of Dakota Ridge. Soft, flour like silt on the trail. Hopefully the rain packs that crap down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Fubar Rider View Post
    Did you ride the "Two Bridges" section from Tinton Trail to Big Hill. The fast descent into the bottom has that REALLY loose crap, as well as that short steep climb in the middle of Dakota Ridge. Soft, flour like silt on the trail. Hopefully the rain packs that crap down.
    Missed both of those, we rode from Big Hill around the loop to the Bacon Station and then bailed down the road back to Big Hill. That super soft section of Dakota Ridge was hike-a-bike-loose last year as well, I guess it must be even worse this year? It's not very long though.. I rode Twin Bridges a couple of weeks back, I thought it was pretty good except in the area immediately preceding and following that root drop... Yeah.. that was a little sketch..

pjrides
    Oct 2006
    Putting the labor back in Labor Day Weekend! 11th Annual Dakota Five-0 Sunday Sept. 4th, Smokey Bear will start the Five-0 for 700 riders this year. The course has been groomed as much as we ever have. The loose soft section mentioned, below the course split going into Twin Bridges Trail was fixed last Sunday just prior to the rain and is now really good. The rain was perfect for the course and the forecast for the weekend is sun and mid 70's. With the condition of the trails and beautiful riding weather I suspect we will see some record times rolled out.
    Be sure to check out the new additions to the map link on the homepage of the Dakota Five-0 website. There is a schedule of events and race info as well.
    The Further You Go the Better it Gets.
    http://www.dakotafiveo.comPedal Metal!
    Perry Jewett
    Ridge Riders of the Black Hills

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Riders View Post
    The loose soft section mentioned, below the course split going into Twin Bridges Trail was fixed last Sunday just prior to the rain and is now really good.
    I kind of enjoyed the pucker-factor of this section before but the rework is great and definitely kept the riders moving. Course was great, food and beer were great, everyone I talked to had an awesome time! Big thanks to all the Ridge Riders for another fantastic event!

mtbr member
    I'll second that Sam. As usual Perry and crew put on another outstanding event!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Awesome event. I hope to be back next year!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    got a not so short write up here: pics to be added later, sorry. had to cut off my writing and just hit publish.

the crux of it | crux- n. a vital, basic, decisive, or pivotal point; something that torments by its puzzling nature; a perplexing difficulty; essence, heart, core, gist.