Best campground in the Black Hills, SD- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

New question here. Best campground in the Black Hills, SD

I am looking for advice. We will be spending about 6 days in the Black Hills this summer with our little kids. I am looking for a tent campground that has great views, a lake or creek within a few hundred yards and a great mtb trail within 30 minutes drive, the closer the better Nearby easy climbing is also a perk.

Do you have any suggestions and what trail is it close too?

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Horsetheif Lake just a few miles from mount Rushmore is a cool place to camp.
    The snozberries taste like snozberries!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Did you mean the forest service campground on Horsethief lake, just a mile or 2 past Rushmore? I think there is also a commercial campground somewhere with the same name.
    I looked at that campground the location is iedal, walk to the climbing area and bike breezy point, but it doesn't seem to have a beach, is that correct? We don't need a true beach either, just some shallow area where the kids can sit in a few inches of water and play.

mtbr member
    It's been almost 15 years since I was last their but I think it was the forest service campground. I just remember it was right on the lake and was close to some trails, although at the time I didn't realize mountain bikes weren't allowed on the trails and got a ticket. I don't think there is a beach but seen people jumping off a cliff into the lake right next to the highway, doubt your kids would do that lol...Such a cool place, now I'm thinking about making a trip up their this summer.
    The snozberries taste like snozberries!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    we usually stay at Rushnomore campground south of Sturgis for bike week but there are tons of great campgrounds around keystone, deadwood, and spearfish.
    I am my brothers keeper.

Live to Ride-Ride to Live
    Aug 2006
    The Alkali Creek Campground is just off I-90 exit 34 and offers close access to good riding and a small creek. The campground offers running water but vault type toilets. Alkali is also a trail head for Centennial Trail and the Fort Meade Recreation Area offers a large track of land with some great riding. The web site for a local race www.sturgisbam.com has a link a map of the Ft Meade area.
    FYI this campground is closed during the rally in August.
    If this does not fit the bill look at the campground in the Spearfish park for a nice family setting or Iron Creek Lake for a more secluded near the water setting.
    All three offer ride from camp MTBing and Spearfish/Iron Creek Lake have close climbing routes.

boba fett on a bike
    This sounds like something I'd like to do this summer with my gf and her daugther.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    And what trails should I absolutely not miss?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Plan on riding-
    HLMP- (Cowboy hill) Right above the Fat Tire Festival Headquarters. Everything that you can imagine right in the heart of Rapid City!
    Storm Mountain--Cross-Country, All-Mountain, and Freeride wrapped up into one area by Rockerville SD
    Bulldog- (Located of interstate 90 by the National Cemetary close to Sturgis) mainly cross-country up and flowy down
    Bone Collector/South of Heaven- All-Mountain/Freeride just plain good for playing around (if you have elbow/knee pads wear'em)
    Tinton Trail- If you are staying in RC and don't mind driving an hour to Spearfish (home of the Dakota 50) to check out the Tinton Trail!
    Too many trails to keep on listing-
    Get here and plan on riding everywhere and try to attend the festivities at the BHFTF, cram it all in- They will have directions to trails and group rides scheduled all weekend long! If you aren't here for the festival, look for some locals to guide you to the trailheads, there is just too much FUN in the Black Hills and one should not miss any of it.
    Last edited by dmgrapid; 05-16-2010 at 06:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard
    I am looking for advice. We will be spending about 6 days in the Black Hills this summer with our little kids. I am looking for a tent campground that has great views, a lake or creek within a few hundred yards and a great mtb trail within 30 minutes drive, the closer the better Nearby easy climbing is also a perk.

Thanks for the help.
    I spent two nights in Custer State Park last summer, and it is a gorgeous place. We "hoteled" it, but saw some very nice campgrounds. There are lots of streams as well as some lakes. In fact, one morning, we rented some of those boats you pedal and had races in the lake. That was pretty fun. Mtn bikes are allowed on the park trails, and I think there is climbing. It's a big park. It was a bit of a drive to Mt. Rushmore, but very scenic.

Davir
    blow off Custer state park the trails tend to be heavily used by horses not that great for mountain bikes camp at mystery mountain be close to m mountain and storm hill enjoy its mtb heaven.

Davir
    mystery mountain has a wood heated pool and mini golf

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Sylvan Lake

I'd go for Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park. IMO, it's the most scenic. It has a beach, great climbing and hiking trails, and is close to not only singletrack trails, but also the Mickelson Trail - a 115 mile long Rails to Trails that is right for the whole family (including trailers and trail-a-bikes) if you choose that route.

It's in the heart of the Black Hills, close to Mt. Rushmore, Keystone, Hill City, The Needles, Custer State Park, Wind Cave, and not too far from the touristee places near Rapid City if you need to take the kids to do something else like Reptile Gardens, Bear Country USA, etc.

Have Fun!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerV99
    I'd go for Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park. IMO, it's the most scenic. It has a beach, great climbing and hiking trails, and is close to not only singletrack trails, but also the Mickelson Trail - a 115 mile long Rails to Trails that is right for the whole family (including trailers and trail-a-bikes) if you choose that route.

It's in the heart of the Black Hills, close to Mt. Rushmore, Keystone, Hill City, The Needles, Custer State Park, Wind Cave, and not too far from the touristee places near Rapid City if you need to take the kids to do something else like Reptile Gardens, Bear Country USA, etc.

Have Fun!!
    That sounds and looks really good from what the original poster mentioned. We rented our paddle boats at Legion Lake.

I thought the town of Custer was cute. On the other hand, Keystone was pretty much a tourist trap - hotels, crowds, and endless souvenir shops.

Our kids really liked the wildlife in Custer: the buffalo are very impressive, and the burros are very cute.

If you go to Mt. Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument is kind of an interesting counterpoint. It's totally being done with private funding, so has a different feel than Rushmore, which is operated by the National Park Service. They kind of nickle and dime you, but the museum on site is pretty impressive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard

Thanks for the help.

Big order to fill. With family I assume you want SOME facilities? Lake or Creek close makes it tough, most lakes here are manmade and Forest Service campgrounds are kinda sparse in the ammenities area. Lots of good private places, depends on your emphasis.

goo
    Mar 2006
    Sorry to sabatoge the thread, but I'm heading from UT to MN for work next week. The Black Hills area is about the half way point. So I want to spend the night camping then get up early and do I ride before I head off to east. If I were to do one 2 hour ride, what you recommend? I like both flowy xc and tech all mountain stuff and some cool scenary would be cool as well. What campground would be recommended near the riding area? Just me sleeping in the back of my truck, so I really don't care much about ammenities.
    Thanks.

Davir
    storm mountain trail is the bomb. there probanly some f.s. roads near there you can camp at as well but if you want a shower mystery mountain camp ground is close

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Gaugh,

I think someone mentioned it above, but there is a informal bivy site(with a pit toilet) just behind the R]ushmore climbing area(backside of Mt Rushmore Sculptures). The Breezy Point trail runs (almost) through it. It's a shorter loop, but the longer version might be about 2 hrs.. It is super fun. Lots of rock outcropping that look challenging but actually turn out to have a nice flowy ride over them linked by some nice dirt sections. Obviously designed by an avid mtn biker, there are no dull sections in it. Check out the description at Acme bicycles website.. Then you could hit Storm Mtn on the way out as well, if you still have more time to ride.
    Check out MORCMTB.org for trails in MN. Ride Lebanon Hills if you are the Twin Cities.
    Last edited by Tjaard; 06-02-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0