Bald Eagles/Deerfield 40L Update- Mtbr.com
    Out There
    Jan 2004

Bald Eagles/Deerfield 40L Update

As you may know, earlier this spring, the Black Hills USFS closed a short section of the Deerfield 40L trail on the northwest side of the lake to create a buffer zone around a young pair of nesting bald eagles. Unfortunately, the bald eagles recently have abandoned their nest and the USFS will be re-opening the entire 40L trail before July 1.

In addition to those just wanting to ride the 40L, this affects Cat Rock 9, the nine hour mountain bike race/relay around Deerfield Lake that I put together. With USFS approval, Cat Rock 9 is back on its original course, as depicted on the topograhy map, photos and Course Description at www.bhmba.org and remains on Saturday, July 21, 2007 from 9am until 6pm.

So, same cat time, same cat course.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks Craig...................the Two Wheeler guys asked me about this yesterday, I will pass the word. T

Out There
    Jan 2004

July 2 Trail Report

Thanks, Trent. I still get questions, and still hear erroneous reports about the eagles. To repeat - the eagles have left, the 40L is open, and Cat Rock 9 is back on it's original course.

Today I actually got back out and rode the 40L. The trail is in fine shape, the wildflowers are blooming and the creeks are full. Really nice riding in the cool of the morning. Minimal downed timber from the winter. Not much horse or bike traffic this spring, due to the trail closure for several weeks. But it's picking up. The Deerfield Lake Resort owners report more mountain bikers have been up there than in the recent past, including some folks from last year's Cat Rock.

From the parking lot at the Gold Run Trailhead (at the southeast end of the lake), I saw a family of turkeys out for a morning stroll. There were at least 2 adults and 8-10 little ones, although they were hard to count in the tall grass. I was too slow in retrieving the camera, so no pictures.

Members who have read this thread: 0