Thread: Why 27.5?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Why 27.5?

As I go further down the rabbit hole of gravel biking I see plenty of manufacturers are selling 27.5 inch specific gravel bikes/frames and I donít see why.

We all know why 27.5 is sometimes preferable for mountain bikes but none of those advantages appear to apply to gravel riding.

Unless youíre a shorter rider, 700c/29 inch wheels seem like the only choice for covering the varying surfaces of gravel grinding. So what I am missing about 27.5 for gravel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    More rubber and air volume with no increase in overall wheel/tire diameter. That matters more in smaller frames as you surmise, but it can also effect stability, agility and handling in any bike. Once you get over 35mm wide tires I personally find that a 700c wheel/tire starts to feel a little ponderous. Some people appreciate the stability, rollover and momentum advantages that a larger overall diameter brings but I like a bike that's a little quicker to react to turning input but that still has a generous width and air volume for secure cornering, cushion and float in loose dirt, so 650bX42-52 suits me well. It really comes down to personal preference-it's nice to have options!

smartass
    I'm probably going to throw a set of 27.5 wheels with 2.2" tires on my Checkpoint. For some rides (those that include singletrack), I'd like a little more tire than my 700x38. But I already have toe overlap, and that becomes more of an issue on singletrack, so I want to keep the diameter in check.

If not for the toe overlap, I'd just run bigger 700c tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    If you want to run big tyres, and by big I mean around 47mm+ 27.5 makes more sense on a gravel/adventure/big tyre drop bar/whatever bike.

It's MUCH easier to design a frame to accept a wide 27.5 in the back. Most of the time gravel frames use 68mm BB shells and have clearance for a road compact crankset. This makes things complicated compared to MTBs when you want to cram a big tyre in there.

Another big one, much less toe overlap. It's super annoying. Unlike MTBs gravel bikes have steep head angles and shorter top tubes. Throw on a big 622 tyre, maybe fenders too and the toe overlap can be deadly even on larger frames.

Multi wheelsize compatibility. Generally speaking a 622 28-30mm tyre is about the same as a 650x47mm in terms of height. So if you want you can switch back and forth between a more offroad and a more road oriented setup without affecting BB height etc.