Specialized AWOL gravel grinder - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    wretch
    Erik just takes all the credit for the bike. He was hired half way thru the development. A few of us were fighting for and developing that bike for a good year or so before. There was a big fight within in the walls to produce a steel bike in a world of high performance carbon - also part of why it was initially released as a Globe bike and then with the death of that brand it got swallowed into Specialized's lineup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Death of what brand?

wretch
    Globe Bikes was an urban sub brand of Specialized that has since folded and the standout bikes like the AWOL and ROLL have bene absorbed into the Specialized lineup.

mtbr member
    Last edited by PDKL45; 09-09-2018 at 07:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Last edited by PDKL45; 09-09-2018 at 07:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    anybody can make a picture of awol with tubus tara mounted?

I am confused, according to tubus instructions:

http://www.tubus.com/documents/15029...MA_3.1_web.pdf

tara should attach at fork bottom in triangular looking holes (which looks stronger), while opposite 'straight' holes are for fenders.

But this doesnt work.

https://imgur.com/a/s5JhB

It could only work if I flip tara to point in opposite direction (so that bottom curved hooks point backwards)

Even in that case, mount for fenders would still point forwards, which is wrong, but I am not even sure if you can mount tara that way. Its not mentioned in the instructions.

Here is how I envisioned flip mount, it looks perfect (except for the fenders mount in wrong direction, but I have fenders mount of my fork)

https://imgur.com/a/ivHBH

But I am not sure about structural integrity

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I may be selling a 2016 XL AWOL Expert frame and fork soon. . . .
    Alas, the time has come. . . . . .

http://forums.mtbr.com/classifieds/f...l#post13509141

mtbr member
    Finally, after a f%$#ing odyssey, I am back to the Jones-style bars, which, when used with the Ergotec High Charisma stem, have put the bars in the position I always wanted them to be in.

I made a bit of a mistake with brake lever and trigger shifter positioning this time around, but that will be solved in the coming months, when I swap the grips and rewrap the bars. The important thing is that I am at peace with my bike fit for the first time in over a year.

I was wrong about the Jones-style bars; I needed to change the stem for stack and have swept bars for reach. That flat Easton EA50 bar was narrow enough, but the bar ends were uncomfortable and didn't help with reducing reach to where I wanted it to be.

So happy to have arrived at bar/stem configuration I can happily live with.

Specialized AWOL gravel grinder-resizedawol2019-02-24.jpg

mtbr member
    Last edited by PDKL45; 09-09-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Fahrrad fahren

Awol

Specialized AWOL gravel grinder-20180512_01.jpg
    From this weekend. Still thinking about a taller stem, but no other changes (since earlier in this thread).
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalti View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180512_01.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	283.2 KB 
ID:	1198054
    From this weekend. Still thinking about a taller stem, but no other changes (since earlier in this thread).
    What stem are you looking at?

Fahrrad fahren
    Quote Originally Posted by PDKL45 View Post
    What stem are you looking at?
    Nothing special, just something like a Dimension Stem to bring the bars up another inch or so.
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

mtbr member
    Last edited by PDKL45; 09-09-2018 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks like the AWOL's days are numbered. No official word from Specialized yet--they have yet to update their website for 2019 models--but a couple of sources are saying that there will be no 2019 models.

Thoughts? Eulogies?

mtbr member
    A sad end for the bike and something of a sad end for this thread. The AWOL was never really a "gravel grinder," as much as it was a light offroad tourer and exploration bike; an adventure bike.

Someone here at MTBR lumped this thread into the Gravel sub-forum when it was made, because someone included the word gravel in the title, back in 2013 or so. The thread has had no traction here in this forum at all, maybe because the AWOL isn't really a competitive gravel racer.

I think it's frustrating that the AWOL seems to have had to take a back seat to the Sequoia at Specialized, when I feel they both have a place in the Specialized range. A heavy touring bike and a lighter, sports touring bike: Like having both a Long haul Trucker and a Cross-check in your line up.

I feel that there were missed opportunities with the AWOL frameset, the original top level frame with swinging dropouts. They were problematic for some, the droupouts, that is, as they were hard to secure in place at times. I would like to have been able to buy a second generation AWOL frame with refined swinging dropouts and Rohloff plates (making AWOL-specific Rohloff swinging dropout plates was a vague promise that was made in 2015 or so, but few seem to have seen those plates).

But I don't think the Sequoia is to blame. The AWOL was never really a Specialized bike and it has always been a bit of an outlier in the Specialized lineup (my mechanic calls mine the Specialized Surly), and maybe the sportier Sequoia is a better fit with the brand.

mtbr member
    Sad end

Since I have bought my bike I have only seen one in Belgium besides mine...
    Last edited by Papanowel; 10-30-2018 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hey I'm new to this gravel grinding I have a 2018 AWOL and I saw the picture open a wall with a revelate Ripio Frame bag and I need to find out what size frame the bike was and what size the frame bag they ordered

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    My dad has an AWOL Expert, and he loves that thing, last summer we went on a 112ish mile bike-packing trip, and now my brother an I are hooked and now both have AWOLís of our own! I got the base in matte green, which if Iím honest, did not know existed at the time and I love it! And my brother got 2nd to last Comp that specialized had left, lbs had to order it.
    With a set of 1.9 Groundcontrols on, it feels like a feaken Jeep! In a good way, I love this bike, it makes me want to get out and ride more! But lately we keep getting snowstorm after snowstorm. Spring canít come soon enough!
    Iíve been thinking and researching a 650b wheel set and if itíd be worth it. I feel like I could have a fun livelier setup with a lighter 650b setup for just riding, and use the set that came with it for touring. Either way, itís a great bike. Itís a little different and I like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have a 2018 base AWOL. I bought it because I like the color and versatility. It is my first drop bar bike ever in 50+ years (honest) And as much as I have tried, I am just uncomfortable with the bars. So I have decided to convert it to flat bars. Seems like an easy project, no? No.
    (btw, I am a bicycle mechanic complete amateur, I have no place nor special tools to work on it at home)
    I took it to the store where I bought it 3 weeks ago, firstly to tighten the front, you could feel play when rocking the bike with the front brake held. I asked about converting and they told me no problem, they would look up some prices and give me a quote. I got 3 quotes by email over the next 4 days...each time I gave approval I got an answering email saying minimum a month to get the parts. So I went and picked up the bike a week later, and they still had not addressed the original reason I brought it in. It seems like they are super friendly when you buy the bike only.
    I started researching online to see what I would need. Brake levers seemed no problem. I explored friction and trigger shifters and found a few options available, but when I tried to source them they are out of stock everywhere (I'm in Canada) I didn't want to pay more than $200 just for a set shipped out of the US, or overseas.
    And then a possible solution presented itself. A friend of mine bought a 2017 Cannondale Cujo 2. He immediately changed it from the stock Deore 2x10 to a 1x. He is giving me all the components he took off.
    My long winded preamble question is what would I need to use this drivetrain? I believe almost everything will be a direct swap except for the crank? A part spec or links would help me greatly.
    Here is a link to what the Cujo comes with

https://www.cannondale.com/Internati...c-086acdd85bb1

Thanks for any help in advance

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345