mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Opinions on Diamondback haanjo 7c?

any opinions of the 7c haanjo? im looking at getting a gravel race bike, and the price seems great for what you get (hed carbon wheels, carbon frame, shimano ultegra) or i could spend almost a g more and get a santa cruz stigmata with rival and wtb alloy rims.

any reason not to go for the haanjo? stigmata is sexy and built by a solid mtb company, but dang that 7c is cheap.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by unicorn_violence View Post
    any opinions of the 7c haanjo? im looking at getting a gravel race bike, and the price seems great for what you get (hed carbon wheels, carbon frame, shimano ultegra) or i could spend almost a g more and get a santa cruz stigmata with rival and wtb alloy rims.

any reason not to go for the haanjo? stigmata is sexy and built by a solid mtb company, but dang that 7c is cheap.
    I have a carbon trail and I think they are the same bike. I have a couple of 1000 miles on mine and find it is a good all arounder. It can commute, it can road ride, and single track. I haven't particularly graveled it but I imagine that the combo of those three things would lend itself to being good a gravel racing.

Best thing is compatibility with off the shelf fenders and large 650b tires and wheels if that is your thing. I can roll with 700x35 slicks and fenders without a problem on it. It fits much larger tires without the fenders.

Also I am going to move this to the gravel forum.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by unicorn_violence View Post
    any opinions of the 7c haanjo? im looking at getting a gravel race bike, and the price seems great for what you get (hed carbon wheels, carbon frame, shimano ultegra)
    Read the bike components closer. I'm 99% sure the HED tomcat wheels are NOT carbon. Not that they're bad wheels. They came stock on my Willard 3 and seem alright so far. Just making sure you're not disappointed or a major part of your reason for choosing this bike is carbon wheels that aren't

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    Read the bike components closer. I'm 99% sure the HED tomcat wheels are NOT carbon. Not that they're bad wheels. They came stock on my Willard 3 and seem alright so far. Just making sure you're not disappointed or a major part of your reason for choosing this bike is carbon wheels that aren't
    Oh definitely. Same wheels I have, not carbon. Formula hubs I think, I suggest immediately greasing the bearing in the wheels, come with very thin grease. Freehubs is weak link in wheels, bearing is held in with c-clip and hard to maintain and only 1 bearing for freehub so takes a lot of abuse.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    My friend and I both have 7Cs. We've only had them for a few weeks, but so far so good. As stated, the wheels are not carbon. I noticed every once in awhile when I go from coasting to putting power down, I'll get a slight pop in the rear hub before it engages. Aside from that, I haven't had any issues with it and feel it's a great overall value for a carbon Ultegra bike, especially if you can get the corporate or experticity pricing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have a Haanjo, and really like the geo. The only thing that slightly bothers me is the Hed Erocia cockpit... everyone thinks it says erotica at first glance, haha

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    FYI, the picture of the 7C bike on their website is built up with a 6800 group but I can confirm it is supposed to ship with R8000. They said the bike shown was a pre-production run. I'm personally trying to decide between the 7C and 5C EXP. Leaning toward the latter. For my purposes I really like the triple and 650x47's.

mtbr member
    I have a Trail Carbon and the wheels are not HED Carbon. The rims are HED Tomcat alloy and the hubs are either generic or maybe Formula. Heavy straight gauge spokes too make the stock wheels heavy. They are wide and tubeless ready but heavy.

I upgraded to HED Ardennes Plus LT wheels and felt a really big difference. I'm running Clement X'Plor MSO tires in 40c width with tons of room to spare.

I found the stock saddle to be an ass hatchet and a carbon post would have been nice, but i upgraded those myself.

I've added a rear rack for commuting.

FWIW, i love the bike..it's done everything i have asked it to do well. I commute on it, ride gravel and it does pretty well on the road too. I am tempted to try my carbon aero road wheels on it for fun.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    thanks for the responses everyone. i decided not to go with the 7c. i decided to spend a little more and went with a santa cruz stigmata w/ rival build, and yeoleo 50mm aero cyclocross wheels. should be a fun bike!

poser Administrator
    I am going to just jump back in here and say the following:

The sizing recommendations has changed on the Haanjo 7C. The previous Diamondback Haanjo Carbon trail size L stated that it was for 5'10" -6'0 and now the 7C Large says it is for 6'0"-6'3". However no geometry changes have occurred between the Trail carbon and the 7C. Just their recommendation.

The HED Tomcat front wheel can be converted to 15mm TA by purchasing this kit from HED: https://www.hedcycling.com/gp-thru-kit-front/ if say you want to swap them onto a different 15mm bike or anything.

I am assuming that you could also get a replacement freehub using this from HED: https://www.hedcycling.com/hed-hub-bodies-50-100/ using the ardennes GP freehub. I will probably be ordering one so will post back. The bearings in the rear Tomcat freehub leave much to be desired as far as rainy PNW riding is concerned.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    A friend of mine has a Hannjo. He likes it for what it is (monster-cross-y bike), but it's a bit long and slow-handling for mixed rides (as much pavement as dirt). If you won't be using it on pavement,, or don't mind the slow handling, it's hard to beat the price. I prefer something more road-like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I am going to just jump back in here and say the following:

The sizing recommendations has changed on the Haanjo 7C. The previous Diamondback Haanjo Carbon trail size L stated that it was for 5'10" -6'0 and now the 7C Large says it is for 6'0"-6'3". However no geometry changes have occurred between the Trail carbon and the 7C. Just their recommendation.

The HED Tomcat front wheel can be converted to 15mm TA by purchasing this kit from HED: https://www.hedcycling.com/gp-thru-kit-front/ if say you want to swap them onto a different 15mm bike or anything.

I am assuming that you could also get a replacement freehub using this from HED: https://www.hedcycling.com/hed-hub-bodies-50-100/ using the ardennes GP freehub. I will probably be ordering one so will post back. The bearings in the rear Tomcat freehub leave much to be desired as far as rainy PNW riding is concerned.
    i agree with this.

The sizing changed mid first run on my bike because the size sticker for the large said something like 5'9-6"1.

I'm 6'0 and if anything, the bike is a bit too big for me....I can't see someone 5"9 on my bike unless they were all arms and legs.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    i agree with this.

The sizing changed mid first run on my bike because the size sticker for the large said something like 5'9-6"1.

I'm 6'0 and if anything, the bike is a bit too big for me....I can't see someone 5"9 on my bike unless they were all arms and legs.
    This is funny because i thought the original sizing was spot on for me at 5'10" though I use a more upright and hence shorter stem but I prefer a little longer length. Seeing the new recommendations though I now wonder if I should be a a medium? I do worry about foot overlap because they do have short front centers and I have size 10-11 feet. Those plus winter boots plus fenders means that is tight.

Either way the problem with the direct to consumer model is that you don't have the luxury of trying the bike first. They obviously received feedback that their bikes were sized too large for the indicated height recommended.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons