I wish SRAM made more XD cassette types...- Mtbr.com
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

I wish SRAM made more XD cassette types...

Because a 10-38 would be PERFECT for my new Revolt with 32/48.
    Carry on, gents, just venting here.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Just go wide range 1x.

(since you didn't specify your setup, needs, etc. it's hard to know why you require that specific combination)

There are so many configurations of drivetrain options available now, there has to be another way to achieve your goal.

(also Sram sucks, lesson learned)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Looking for tighter gear ratios than a 1x.
    And Shimano doesn't make a 10t in 11 speed.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Turn your cadence sensor off, problem solved.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Ha, I don't even have a computer. I go by feel.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Your OP was about range, I think, not about the closeness of ratios.

There's a good selection of 11 speed cassettes available from a variety of manufacturers, if you had a Shimano freehub. Have you considered switching to a Shimano freehub? Lots more options.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Just go wide range 1x.
    Gravel bikes are a pretty terrible application for 1x, no?

-easy to shift FD on dirt roads
    -very likely to pedal downhill and climb steep shit in same ride
    -tight ratios are actually useful on road bikes
    -bumpy terrain can make use of the additional chain tension from being in the big ring
    -if you have to shorten a 1x chain you lose your lowest gear; gravel bikes can take you deep in remote areas
    -better chainline and more efficient drivetrain matters on a road-ish bike
    -no disadvantages

Granted, if someone just has a fixation with 1x, or you live somewhere flat...

(my gravel bike has 50/34, 11-40 and it's awesome. So i'm biased.)
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    What I don't understand is why is there no drop bar Eagle already. Okay, the electronic group just came out, and you could mix a road shifter and Eagle AXS RD, but I won't be able to afford that stuff for a long time.

In the MTB world SRAM is at NX Eagle already, yet we've been stuck with 11spd for years.

I'm the opposite, I like 1x, but I want more range. I have a 10-42 with a 38T and 42T chainring but it's not enough. Sometimes I want to use my gravel bike as a road bike, sometimes I want to climb steep singletrack.
    38-42 is still barely below 1:1, and when I ride on pavement I use the bottom of the cassette most of the time when I have the 38T chainring on. A 42T with a 10-50 cassette would be perfect I think.

I'm just venting too.

Wanna ride bikes?
    e13 makes a 9-46t cassette, not cheap but will hit your goal for range.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I know about it, but I can't justify spending that much cash on a cassette, and even though the jumps on the 10-42 don't bother me a 9-46 spread might be too much.
    I'm not stoked on the price of the GX Eagle cassette either, but I can swallow it, it's not ridiculously high and least it's all steel except the 50T.

I just don't understand why SRAM wouldn't release a drop bar Eagle groupset when they're at NX Eagle already. I think after the release of XX1/X01 Eagle we had GX Eagle after a year then NX Eagle another year later...

Wanna ride bikes?
    Traditionally the road groupsets are different than the MTN groups.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Your OP was about range, I think, not about the closeness of ratios.

There's a good selection of 11 speed cassettes available from a variety of manufacturers, if you had a Shimano freehub. Have you considered switching to a Shimano freehub? Lots more options.
    I am looking for the 10t, which you canít do with a Shimano freehub. I also am looking for close gear ratios, which the larger gear combos donít provide.
    That is what the post is all about.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I agree. Why wouldnt Sram have a broader range of 12 spd cassettes? a 10-38 or similar would be great for a gravel bike.
    I do not run Eagle on my mountain bike because my bike( Turner RFX) is limited to a 32t chainring and there is absolutely no need for a 50t cassette. I was intially going to run a 36t ring and go with Eagle 10-50.

BTW, I do run 1x on my gravel/ cross bike, 40t chainring, 11-40 cassette, which I switch to 11-32 for cross. I do live in the mountains at 7000', all my rides have tons of climbing. While I do every once in a while wish I had a little lower gear, the setup I use works great.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Traditionally the road groupsets are different than the MTN groups.
    Yeah but when 1x came about that kind of changed. The 1x specific RDs are the same just with a different pull ratio. The 1x11 road and MTB groups share the same XD cassettes. Same chainring just in a different size and you can even use MTB direct mount chainrings...

The Eagle cassette is there, the RD is there, it just needs a bit of tweaking, the chain is there, and we need an extra click in the shifter. It's not like they need to design a new group from the ground up.

Anyway i'm just ranting, I should rant to a SRAM employee.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I wish there were more XD cassettes in general NOT made by SRAM.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Why are you stuck on 10t. That is just making your life harder. Make your chainring 2 teeth bigger and problem solved. Everything I have read that is not marketing material says 10t cog is not really the best way to go anyways from a drivetrain perspective. And with gravel, clearance for a larger chainring is not really and issue since there is zero risk of hitting it on things unlike mtb.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I am looking for the 10t, which you canít do with a Shimano freehub. I also am looking for close gear ratios, which the larger gear combos donít provide.
    That is what the post is all about.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    Why are you stuck on 10t. That is just making your life harder. Make your chainring 2 teeth bigger and problem solved. Everything I have read that is not marketing material says 10t cog is not really the best way to go anyways from a drivetrain perspective. And with gravel, clearance for a larger chainring is not really and issue since there is zero risk of hitting it on things unlike mtb.
    I think the 10T is a good idea. I'm looking at it from a 1x perspective tho. 42-10 is the same ratio as 46-11, so 4 teeth difference. And it adds a bunch of range. Shimano is moving to 10T too with micro spline. It's nothing exotic nowadays, i'm pretty sure 10T is gonna be bog standard in a few years from now. IMO a smaller chainring is never a bad thing.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    a 10-38 or similar would be great for a gravel bike.
    Since we are in the Gravel forum and not talking about bikes limited to 32t chainrings, I don't see how this is any different than 11-42.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyBoni View Post
    I think the 10T is a good idea. I'm looking at it from a 1x perspective tho. 42-10 is the same ratio as 46-11, so 4 teeth difference. And it adds a bunch of range. Shimano is moving to 10T too with micro spline. It's nothing exotic nowadays, i'm pretty sure 10T is gonna be bog standard in a few years from now. IMO a smaller chainring is never a bad thing.
    I am not trying to be a smart a$$ here at all. i don't really care but i have to ask, why? why is 10 better than 11? why is a smaller chain ring better when clearance is not a concern? time trial riders will go larger for the added leverage of the larger ring. so a larger ring is actually more efficient. I can see it from an off-road perspective where a 10 gets you additional gearing while maintaining a smaller ring but that is not a concern in gravel/road. plus wear is much higher on a 10 as is drive train friction.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Because I am running a 32/48. 32/50 will shift like shit.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    wouldn't you go to a 34/50? that would then keep the same spread between your front rings.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Because I am running 32/48. 32/50 would shift like sh!t. And I donít want a 10/42, I want tighter gear ratios than that.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    wouldn't you go to a 34/50? that would then keep the same spread between your front rings.
    I want to stick to a 32/48 for...reasons.
    Just ordered an xt 11-40, that will have to do for now.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I can see it from an off-road perspective where a 10 gets you additional gearing while maintaining a smaller ring but that is not a concern in gravel/road. plus wear is much higher on a 10 as is drive train friction.
    I consider my gravel bike an offroad bike and i'm looking at drivetrains from a gravel/adventure/whatever perspective since this is not a road forum.
    I think the difference is that i'm mainly looking at it from a 1x or wide range cassette perspective. A 10-42 has the same range as an 11-46. With the 10-42 the derailleur doesn't have to climb as big of a cog, so you could get better shifting, and you have a bit more ground clearance, bit less of a chance for the derailleur to collect everything and turn into a bush which does happen to me even with a 10-42 on my gravel bike (that's one aspect of Eagle i'm not so stoked about). Smaller rings could also mean bigger tyre clearance from a frame design perspective.
    Okay MTBs do have 73mm BBs, and most of them did move to boost but if you look around a 32T 1x chainring is pretty standard nowadays. That's pretty small compared to a few years ago. But now we also have much bigger tyre clearances, which some people on drop bar bikes want too, although obviously a 32T would be a "bit" too small. Just a random example, the AC Gorilla Monsoon uses a 73mm BB and can clear a 2.4 27.5 tyre, but the max chainring size for a 1x is 38T.

The additional wear and friction is blown out of proportion, and it's usually coming from geeks and/or people who never ran a cassette with a 10T cog before. I assure you IRL it's not an issue.

It's just a bit backwards to me. Why would you stick a bigger chainring on the front when you could just drop a teeth at the back. Yeah the different freehub body standard thing is an issue but I guess in a few years XD and Micro Spline is gonna take over anyways.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just like options. I brought up my mtb because of what I think is a lack of options, be it, road, gravel or mtb.
    EXODUX Jeff

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I want to stick to a 32/48 for...reasons.
    Just ordered an xt 11-40, that will have to do for now.
    Here's something you might like:

https://r2-bike.com/ETHIRTEEN-Casset...eed-9-39-teeth
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyBoni View Post
    What I don't understand is why is there no drop bar Eagle already. Okay, the electronic group just came out, and you could mix a road shifter and Eagle AXS RD, but I won't be able to afford that stuff for a long time.

In the MTB world SRAM is at NX Eagle already, yet we've been stuck with 11spd for years.

I'm the opposite, I like 1x, but I want more range. I have a 10-42 with a 38T and 42T chainring but it's not enough. Sometimes I want to use my gravel bike as a road bike, sometimes I want to climb steep singletrack.
    38-42 is still barely below 1:1, and when I ride on pavement I use the bottom of the cassette most of the time when I have the 38T chainring on. A 42T with a 10-50 cassette would be perfect I think.

I'm just venting too.
    I may try this using a Microshift 12spd bar end shifter. Iíve heard good things!

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    I may try this using a Microshift 12spd bar end shifter. Iíve heard good things!
    Or

https://r2-bike.com/GARBARUK-Cassett...th-for-SRAM-XD
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    Good luck, i'm pretty sure I would hit my knee all the time on the shifter.

Personally i'm thinking about going back to 2x.
    FSA Omega 46/30, Ultegra RX, 11-36 cassette, 105 levers. We'll see.