mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Gravel Flatbar & Carbon

New offering from Specialized. Carbon, Flatbar, Future Shock, thru axles and 700 x 38 tires. Decent price.

Thoughts?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239583-159152

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBVbpFo5s0

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    meh

Nothing exciting IMO.

Bikesexual
    I prefer my Cowchippers! Soo comfy!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think it hits a premium general rider that's not looking dropbars or a HT. Carbon flat bar city cruiser, commuter, and weekend bad-asser. For the carbon loving hipster. Got stay hip and on trend and steel is so 2015.

Honestly a pretty cool bike for those looking for such.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Not a new offering, I bought one over a year ago. I use it on an indoor trainer since all the exercise bikes don't quite fit the same as a real bike. I figured if I was looking at spending $2k on a Peloton or other trainer bike, why not just buy a bike that fits well and use a trainer. It is comfortable and I find I ride it 3 or 4 times longer than any exercise bike that I've ridden.

I did ride it on the street once just to see what it felt like compared to my mountain bikes. I like my Stache and my Pine Mountain 2 well enough, the Sirrus can stay inside on the trainer full time.

mbtr member
    Garage decoration.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    The frame looks premium but everything else... meh.

NX stuff with a limiting 11-42 cassette, and I think the cheapest hydros that Shimano makes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    lame video, it's just a new more expensive hybrid right? The kind of thing I'd keep at my 3rd house on the golf course to cruise gravel paths on the way to the club house...

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    lame video
    It's an sbcu video: it's intended to educate salespeople, not excite potential customers.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by A/C in Az View Post
    Not a new offering, I bought one over a year ago. I use it on an indoor trainer since all the exercise bikes don't quite fit the same as a real bike. I figured if I was looking at spending $2k on a Peloton or other trainer bike, why not just buy a bike that fits well and use a trainer. It is comfortable and I find I ride it 3 or 4 times longer than any exercise bike that I've ridden.

I did ride it on the street once just to see what it felt like compared to my mountain bikes. I like my Stache and my Pine Mountain 2 well enough, the Sirrus can stay inside on the trainer full time.
    It's a newer model sirrus that fits wider tires, is set up as 1x only since there is no provision for a front derailleur and has the future shock like the Specialized Diverge.

The Sirrus you bought over a year ago will not fit 38mm or wider tires, doesn't have the future shock and the geometry is different.
    Last edited by prj71; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ^^^ I agree. I don't think this new Sirrus model is "lame". Some people prefer flatbars. It's like the hardcore roadie/CX guy saying gravel bikes are lame because you don't need anything more than 35c. And the MTBer that says gravel bikes are lame, because dropbars are stupid and you're better off with a HT.

Different strokes for different folks.

That said, I do think this will do well with the hipster market, or at least hipsters with bad backs tired of riding their old school steel dropbar fixie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I compared the geometry of this new Sirrus with the Niner RLT which also comes with 700 x 38 tires...Pretty darn close...All the numbers were within a few mm ± of each. Not enough to make a difference and say that one is better than the other.

Kinda looking at this for a gravel bike since I'm not a fan of drop bars.

Gravel Flatbar & Carbon-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    The tall stack sounds nice but that reach is pretty darn short for a flat bar bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyBoni View Post
    The tall stack sounds nice but that reach is pretty darn short for a flat bar bike.
    Nothing that you can't fix with the change of the stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Nothing that you can't fix with the change of the stem.
    I guess, I just always thought flat bar bikes are supposed to be a bit longer. I'm confused.

I hate being stretched out but essentially this geo with a flat bar would be like riding on the tops all the time on the RLT which doesn't sound ideal for long rides. Cool for zooming around the city tho.

mbtr member
    I compared the geometry of this new Sirrus with the Niner RLT which also comes with 700 x 38 tires...Pretty darn close...All the numbers were within a few mm ± of each. Not enough to make a difference and say that one is better than the other.

Kinda looking at this for a gravel bike since I'm not a fan of drop bars.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	1237296
    You don't think a 30mm longer wheelbase is significant?
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    You don't think a 30mm longer wheelbase is significant?
    A difference of 1-3/16". I doubt you, I or anyone could notice that. Threw a couple other gravel bikes in for comparison. Wheelbase of the Tough Road is within 7mm (1/4") of the Sirrus X.

Gravel Flatbar & Carbon-capture.jpg

mbtr member
    A difference of 1-3/16".

I doubt you, I or anyone could notice that.
    If you think so... that's probably true for you. That's a normal size jump from xc-trail-enduro, where the wheelbases are longer and the change is less obvious.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Cool looking bike. Lot's of good options in this space.

I'm looking for a flat bar option to combine singletrack, fire roads, road and gravel. Just not comfortable with drops trying to shift and brake in the singletrack stuff.

Looking to demo this bike and Niner RLT 9 one star, Giant SLR 2 and Salsa Journeyman come spring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    These are the other 2 options I was looking at. But for the price and what you get I think the Specialized is the better deal.

These bikes aren't carbon and are loose ball bearing hubs.

https://ninerbikes.com/products/rlt-9-apex

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/toughroad-slr-1

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I tried to upload a photo on the Giant advanced thread, but couldn't...
    I'm a bad old neck type guy so dropbars have me in a bit of pain.
    Switched in a set of flatbars on my Giant Adv 2. Absolutely love it and allows me to put in a lot more time on the bike.
    Has me feeling more like the bmx'er I was as a kid 

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DCoz View Post
    I'm a bad old neck type guy so dropbars have me in a bit of pain.
    I don't want to force drops on people but just because a bike has drop bars that doesn't mean you have to be in a stretched out aggressive road race position. I get neck pain very very easily and I love drops. On long rides they're much more comfortable compared to a straight bar for me. I can move around and the position just feels more natural.
    Gravel bikes usually put you in a more comfortable position compared to a road bike to begin with, you combine that with a few extra spacers and maybe just a bit shorter stem and you can end up with a super comfortable position.

I think the problem is that drops come from the road world where you're considered a whimp if your stem is not slammed and your back is not parallel to the ground. So when you say drop bars people immediately think about discomfort.

But of course run what works for you.

I've tried putting straight bars on a road bike before but for me it didn't work out. Sure I got a much more upright position, which felt nice for a few miles, but on longer rides I just felt like my arms were locked out because of the super short reach.
    That's what I don't understand on this Specialized. If you check out the Salsa Journeyman for example the straight bar version is much longer than the drop bar version.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Yes must say I can't argue with that. I did try out the drops that came with the bike and if I'd changed the head geometry around I reckon that could have worked. I do like the extra angles you can get your arms in with dropbars so it's probably the extra width up high with the flats that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I think it’s a nice bike. For longer rides I would prefer a drop bar bike (which I have), but I wouldn’t mind one of these for commuting, short fun rides or training purposes.
    If you prefer flat bars, go for it.

mtbr member
    Anyone know the max tire width on the Specialized?

I know the Giant can run 29 x 2.1 ThurnderBurt's.

These are the other 2 options I was looking at. But for the price and what you get I think the Specialized is the better deal.

These bikes aren't carbon and are loose ball bearing hubs.

https://ninerbikes.com/products/rlt-9-apex

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/toughroad-slr-1

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Any idea if the Specialized Future Shock is compatible with any brand of bike?
    I was nearly sold on the Specialized because of this when I was shopping for my Giant.
    Would be a nice bit to add on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm thinking that its specific to Specialized.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jrm
    mtbr member
    more like a sidewalk & mut slayer ridden twice and found on CL for 1/3 the price..

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    If you think so... that's probably true for you. That's a normal size jump from xc-trail-enduro, where the wheelbases are longer and the change is less obvious.
    For gravel road riding a difference in 1-3/16" wheelbase means diddly squat.

XC-Trail-Enduro wheelbase changes on MTBs happen because of the head tube angles. XC is around 70°, Trail is around 67-68° and Enduro would be around 65-66°

Most gravel bikes and even this Sirrus the head tube angles are all close to one another. The difference in wheelbases would be a function of what the manufacturer specified for chainstay length and top tube length.