Giant Revolt Advanced - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg252b View Post
    I'd be leery running 45s. Check out this thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/gravel-bikes...b-1099289.html
    Saw that, I'm curious what those 45's actually measure. Picked up my Revolt last night and there is a ton of clearance with the stock 40's on there.

Good to know Giant is taking care of him. I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service, and combined with a great LBS, I feel like I'm in good hands (especially after Performance going under two months after I bought my Fuji lol).

Can't wait to take her out for a spin today! Only got to take her around the parking lot since it was late and we had just finished the shop group ride. I'll get some better pictures of her in her natural environment.

Giant Revolt Advanced-revolt.jpg

mtbr member
    Here is the new bike. I changed the stem from the 80mm it comes with to a 100mm I had on hand. I want to get one with less rise and a bar with a flat top. The shop called Giant tech support for me and asked about the BB and if it will work with a standard compact GXP crank. They say it wonít work with GXP or Simano. But the praxis website lists the 24mm bb for GXP. So who knows. I will have to try the crank I have and see if it fits.

Giant Revolt Advanced-647af2f0-f31b-4d8b-97ac-dc8033300d20.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Here is the new bike. I changed the stem from the 80mm it comes with to a 100mm I had on hand. I want to get one with less rise and a bar with a flat top. The shop called Giant tech support for me and asked about the BB and if it will work with a standard compact GXP crank. They say it wonít work with GXP or Simano. But the praxis website lists the 24mm bb for GXP. So who knows. I will have to try the crank I have and see if it fits.
    The GXP, I believe, is 24mm on one end and 22mm on the other.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wow that is a good looking machine! I feel like Giant goes out of their way to make the pics on their website look terrible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	647AF2F0-F31B-4D8B-97AC-DC8033300D20.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	1255951

Human Test Subject
    The BB has dust caps that say 24 and 22. I don't have another GXP crankset to try but that sure sounds GXP.

I sold my cranks to some dude and told him GXP and he never called back demanding his money back.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    The BB has dust caps that say 24 and 22. I don't have another GXP crankset to try but that sure sounds GXP.

I sold my cranks to some dude and told him GXP and he never called back demanding his money back.
    Thatís kind of what I figured looking at the Praxis website. I just thought it was strange when the guy from Giant said it wouldnít work.

One other question are you guys finding the tires lose most of there air over night? I put 70psi in the and went for a ride pulled it out to ride today and they had 20psi. No sealant leaking any ware and they kept 70psi on my ride today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Hi, Me with my girlfriend want to buy a giant revolt . We will ride on it together. She has 5ft 3in (160 cm) and I have 5ft 2,3in (158). Which size should I pick up? XS or S?
    Sorry for my english

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I was going to go Tubus racks. But then thought hang on, if Giant do their own specific ones surely they will have made some design decision on the weight bearing etc, so therefore be more likely to work better. So I have the Giant ones front a rear. They are fairly light, welds look good. And the black is the same 😎. The rear went on really easy - just had to remove and flip the centre p clip that goes onto bridge. Used my own stainless well greased Allen bolts. The front disk side presented a challenge. If naked against frame it caught the QR lever. So I have mounted it out with a black alloy brake washer about 3mm thick. Worked. At the very end of the righting turns though it still catches. So in time I might grind the thumb/widened (non structural) thickness of the QR lever. But itís OK for now. I felt a bit stupid offering the new front rack to the fork, the holes didnít align, thought theyíd supplied the wrong ones. But realised you need to stretch the overall rack right angle a bit to get them to the right size. Have mounted front as far back behind front hub as possible, and riding it - can barely feel it, in fact more stable. Rear rack does not catch heels either. Plus leaves good platform for tent, and roll if needed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Did my first gravel ride yesterday, 31 miles, and it was fantastic. Bike is smooth, comfortable and stable. Stock tires did great through gravel, mud, wet sand and slippery single track. 20mph on gravel and perfectly comfortable, love it!!

Today I did a 41 mile road ride, on a second wheelset with 28mm GP5Ks. More comfortable than my road bike, and barely gave up any speed, only in a couple of sections where I spin out with the smaller big ring.

I am absolutely sold on disc brakes, they are fantastic. They inspire confidence, I can go into curves faster, brake later and harder and still feel like I have more control. My next road bike will definitely have discs.

mtbr member
    So I think the only problem I have found with my 2 is that the chain stay protector is not long enough. When your in the smallest cog in the cassette and in the big ring bouncing down hill on gravel the chain can hit the stay behind the protector. I fixed it with some heavy 3M black tape. I have used this stuff for years to make chain stay protectors on my mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Never mind with the problem I was having I figured it out.

mtbr member
    The Praxis BB on my Revolt started making noise after 1000 kmís.

Iím thinking of replacing it with Wheels Mfg threaded BB and with Ultegra cranks, but will the the Wheels Mfg BB fit into the BB shell, because the gear and brake cables are there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by plussa View Post
    The Praxis BB on my Revolt started making noise after 1000 kmís.

Iím thinking of replacing it with Wheels Mfg threaded BB and with Ultegra cranks, but will the the Wheels Mfg BB fit into the BB shell, because the gear and brake cables are there?
    I can't say for sure on the Revolt, but I had the pressfit bb on my Fuji swapped for a Wheels Mfg threaded bb and there were no issues with the internal cable routing.

I haven't had any problems yet with the Revolt, but I'll go the same route if/when it happens. Prob switch to a GRX crank while I'm at it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Got her dirty on Sat with a proper gravel ride, 73 miles, it was fantastic. Didn't get any pictures of the gravel, because I was just trying to keep up, there were some seriously fast guys that were hammering it. Bike did great!! I just need more time on the gravel to get comfortable with going fast on the loose stuff and work on my handling skills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Revolt Advanced-boydsride2.jpg  

Last edited by rides4beer; 06-20-2019 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Name:	647AF2F0-F31B-4D8B-97AC-DC8033300D20.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	1255951
    How much does it weigh? I'm thinking about the same one.
    2019 EVIL Offering
    2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jn24uk View Post
    My M/L was 21.8lbs with the r7020 shifters/brakes (which is what comes on the 2020 model), and XT Trail pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rides4beer View Post
    My M/L was 21.8lbs with the r7020 shifters/brakes (which is what comes on the 2020 model), and XT Trail pedals.
    Thanks, how do you like it? It's a sharp looking bike, is it gloss or matte?
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    I donít know I never weighed it. I kind of donít care. Iím guessing itís liter then the m/l. Itís a small and I had the tires changed out with 32c Maxxis Refuse and itís got egg beaters for peddles.
    And itís gloss on the white parts and matte finish on the black parts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Sorry about asking this again.
    About which Revolt size to choose...
    I'm puzzled because on the Giant size chart they give the L size (for Revolt AND Tcx) for riders 185 to 195cm (6'1" - 6'5").
    I'm 183cm (6" I guess) and tried the Tcx in M and was perfect!!
    Unfortunately where I live I have to order the Revolt without having the possibility of trying it....
    Should I go for M/L? For L? What to do? (My inseam is about 84cm (33"?).

Thanks for any feedback!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Looking for some suggestions, have 2019 Revolt Advanced 0, wanted to get a second wheel set for the days I get on the road, ideas?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Iím ordering road wheels for mine as well this week from;

https://wovenprecision.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks, how do you like it? It's a sharp looking bike, is it gloss or matte?
    The bike is fantastic. Have about 450 miles on it and it's great on the road and off. With the second wheelset, I haven't touched my road bike since I bought the Revolt. lol The pictures on Giant's site make it look matte, but it's gloss metallic, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootitalian View Post
    I'm puzzled because on the Giant size chart they give the L size (for Revolt AND Tcx) for riders 185 to 195cm (6'1" - 6'5").
    Unfortunately where I live I have to order the Revolt without having the possibility of trying it....

Thanks for any feedback!
    I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and the M/L fits me perfectly. My road bike is a 56.

Quote Originally Posted by MTBKNG View Post
    Looking for some suggestions, have 2019 Revolt Advanced 0, wanted to get a second wheel set for the days I get on the road, ideas?

Thanks
    I'm running a set of DT Swiss ER 1600s with 28mm GP5Ks for the road. With the 20mm internal width the tires measure out to about 30mm, very comfortable and handle great. Eventually I'll probably get some carbons for the road and use the DTs for a second gravel set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DCoz View Post
    Just remember to swap to hydraulic on a Adv 2 means only the levers and a bit of tubing. No need to change the actual calipers. Some shops might be quoting a full changeover. Easy DIY project.
    DCoz, can you explain this further? Are the brake calipers 105 or Giant branded?
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    Just ordered the Revolt Advanced 0 for $2950 out the door. Was told late April, early May. I'm already thinking upgrading the crank and bar to carbon. What do you guys recommend? I'm also looking to upgrade the hubs to Industry 9. What do you think? I test rode the Ibis Hakka MX, Checkpoint SL6, and liked the Giant the best of the three. It didn't hurt the Giant cost less too.
    How are you guys getting these deals with Giant. Every giant dealer I talk to won't budge on price. Is there a secret code or something?
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm 6'0 with a ~32" inseam and the M/L fits me pretty well. I have the seatpost right at the maximum extension line though, so if I were any taller it wouldn't have worked for me. My road bike is a giant TCR and it's a M/L too (why I went for the M/L on the revolt).

mtbr member
    Whatís the verdict on going 650b? Tire clearance and handling changes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Whatís the verdict on going 650d? Tire clearance and handling changes?
    Iím curious, too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    DCoz, can you explain this further? Are the brake calipers 105 or Giant branded?
    They're Giant branded, but I'm guessing they would work with 105 calipers? Don't know for sure. My LBS had a takeoff set of 105 levers/calipers, so they swapped both for me.

I'm curious as well, but even more so, I'm curious where to find 650b wheels with 12mm front TAs, all the ones I can find are 15mm. Do people just use adapters?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Not specific to the Revolt but I started a thread in other forums asking 650b or 700c .... generally the response seemed to be ..... unless you're really doing a lot of bumpy single track there's very little advantage of 650b and if you are doing lots of riding in those conditions you're probably better off on a 29er anyway.

A few people said they'd tried 650b and wouldn't bother again and that wider 700's offered pretty much everything that 650b did anyway.

I didn't bother in the end but interested to see if others have a different experience.

mtbr member
    Iím trying to decide if I want a second set of wheels set up with more off road tires. The 32c refuse tires I have on the stock wheels make the bike feel like a normal road bike. And the gravel that I have ridden with them it did well on. But some of it had larger rocks and the tires felt a bit small. Iím wondering what it would be like with a 650b wheel and tire when I want to do more of that stuff. Or should I just put a 40c tire on the stock wheels and ride it everywhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Frame bag

I use the Revelate Tangle Frame bag in M

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...TangleFrameBag

I have found it to be one of the best additions that I've made to my bike.
    I commute daily on my bike and it has become the place where I keep most everything I might need on a ride.
    Giant Revolt Advanced-img_20190625_161110.jpgGiant Revolt Advanced-img_20190625_161116.jpg
    There's just enough room for a full-sized water bottle, I use a side-entry cage to make it easier.
    Giant Revolt Advanced-img_20190625_161122.jpg

At Work

Thanks for any feedback!
    I have a 31" inseam and ride a M/L. Believe upper torso and reach also comes into play as well. I am 5'11"
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Took the Carbon one for a spin today - Over $4k - absolutely beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Iím trying to decide if I want a second set of wheels set up with more off road tires. The 32c refuse tires I have on the stock wheels make the bike feel like a normal road bike. And the gravel that I have ridden with them it did well on. But some of it had larger rocks and the tires felt a bit small. Iím wondering what it would be like with a 650b wheel and tire when I want to do more of that stuff. Or should I just put a 40c tire on the stock wheels and ride it everywhere.

I'm finding that I actually enjoy riding on the stock 40s more than my road tires. It's nice to just ride around and not have to worry about...well pretty much anything. lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Took the Carbon one for a spin today - Over $4k - absolutely beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    They're all carbon, in fact, they're all the same exact frame, which is nice. But I'm guessing you meant the 0 with the carbon wheels?

Human Test Subject
    I'm in between sizes like a lot of people here. One reason I got a L instead of an ML was to get a L tangle instead of another M. The M is a perfect fit, again.

I'm 6' .5" and it fits perfectly. The stem is currently slammed but I intend to raise it back up as the last 60 mile ride left my hands pretty unhappy.

Monkey Wrangler
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilspawn View Post
    I use the Revelate Tangle Frame bag in M

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...TangleFrameBag

I have found it to be one of the best additions that I've made to my bike.
    I commute daily on my bike and it has become the place where I keep most everything I might need on a ride.

There's just enough room for a full-sized water bottle, I use a side-entry cage to make it easier.
    That looks pretty solid, do you think it would fit in a small frame and still have bottle clearance?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    A few comments about questions from various posts above....

On 650b axles: Yes, Iím running a front 15mm TA mountain bike wheel set and just use a 12mm adapter. Works fine and donít realize itís there.

On 650b wheels/tires: Iím running ~2Ē tires on my 650b wheels, and I like them on chunky gravel to run very low pressures. They also make the bike fun to ride on the occasional tame single track for something different. Could you use a 29er MTB on these surfaces? - sure, whatever floats your boat.

On my 700c wheelset Iím running Specialized Pathfinders which I REALLY love for dirt roads and paved paths/roads. They have been a fantastic tire, but I appreciate the higher volume and lower pressures for 650b tires on certain surfaces.

On framebags: Iíve settled on the Topeak Midloader in Medium. It fills the upper part of the triangle well. Iíve had to get a set of side load bottle cages that I can slam to the bottom of the triangle to maximize the remaining space for 2 bottles. Pic below.

Overall impressions: Iíve got a bunch of miles on my Revolt and am currently on a weeklong tour across Michigan. The bike has been fantastic. Iíve even convinced myself that upgrading to a Di2 groupset is unnecessary as the mechanical Ultegra has been flawless with super crisp shifts. I recently sold my bling carbon Di2 Defy and havenít missed it one bit.

mtbr member
    I replaced the Praxis BB and cranks with Wheels Mfg. anglular contact threaded BB and Ultegra R8000 46/36 cranks.

Hammering the Praxis BB out was not an easy task, first came off only the bearings, and only with a Park Tool headset cup remover I was able to hammer the cups off. I was surprised to notice there are about 2cm wide aluminum sleeves inside the bb shell on both sides, so the cups are not installed directly into carbon.

The bb creak and shoe rub against crank arms are now gone and the Praxis BB seems to spin easier than the Praxis did. I also prefer the 46/36 chainring because there is only a 10 tooth difference when shifting. Weight also dropped a bit, now 8,82 kg / 19,44 lb with pedals and bottle cages.

mtbr member
    wrong reply.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 06-27-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    Roadie DNA,mtbike curious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I replaced the Praxis BB and cranks with Wheels Mfg. anglular contact threaded BB and Ultegra R8000 46/36 cranks.
    Got a part # for the Wheels Mfg BB? For when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Got a part # for the Wheels Mfg BB? For when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks!! I have one on my Fuji, very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Goat View Post
    That looks pretty solid, do you think it would fit in a small frame and still have bottle clearance?
    I honestly couldn't say. Anything I would tell you would just be speculation.
    As you can see on mine (which is a L) there is barely enough room. You could possibly get a short bottle to fit without much issue though?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a 2020 Advanced 0 and the little cover for the seat post bolt doesn't like to stay in place. It pops up just a little, enough that I got some water and dirt in there on a pretty rough ride last weekend. Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on good replacements for the thru axle bolts? I want to go without handles to clean up the look a bit and am surprised at how expensive ($40+) they are.

Thanks for your help!

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by drewpugh View Post
    I have a 2020 Advanced 0 and the little cover for the seat post bolt doesn't like to stay in place. It pops up just a little, enough that I got some water and dirt in there on a pretty rough ride last weekend. Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on good replacements for the thru axle bolts? I want to go without handles to clean up the look a bit and am surprised at how expensive ($40+) they are.

Thanks for your help!
    Thin layer of grease may help hold it in place or a very small amound of silicone would hold it and be easy to remove. Grease could get kinda messy, but easily cleaned.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Any advice on lowering the weight on the Revolt 2 to the same as the 0?
    The 105 is fine, the non-carbon wheels too but iI'd like to reduce the weight.

1: Hunt 4 Season vs Stock wheels = minus 600grams (I think). Around 380$.
    Another 500grams to go.....
    2:.....?
    3:...?

Thanks!!

Human Test Subject
    the seatpost is like 280g and Giant makes a 200g one that fits. I'm not sure if it's worth it as the 280 is nice and flexy.

The stock stem is a solid chunk of aluminum weighing 175g. I replaced mine with an 80g or so Wren, which is only around 40 bucks on Amazon.

I saved another 80g with different rotors (Ashima vs the SLX stock ones)

If you haven't swapped out the weird brake converter thing, that's a good idea. Beyond that you're probably as close as you can get without changing groupsets or at least the crank.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Thanks!!
    Standard stuff, saddle, stem, bars. I read somewhere that the stock stem/bars are pretty heavy.

I replaced the stock saddle with the same carbon saddle I use on my road bike, it's only 135g (I did it more for the fit than the weight, I don't like the squishy stock saddle, there's enough compliance in the seat post). I'd have to weigh the stock saddle to see the difference, but it's prob 100g or more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Thanks!!
    The crankset is another good source of weight savings. Although, it can be a drain on the wallet depending on what you buy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Weighed the stock saddle, it's 295g, so 160g knocked off with the carbon saddle.

The frames are exactly the same between all three models, so you can def get down to the weight of the 0, or lighter, just depends on how much you want to spend to swap components.

mtbr member
    Just an FYI this could be a one off but the bearing has to be replaced in my back wheel with only about 200 miles on my bike. I donít know what happened but the shop in trying to get a new one to replace it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Thanks!!
    I wonder what that bar weighs?

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerineowl View Post
    I wonder what that bar weighs?
    About 275. Not much savings to be had there, other than the bar is dumb and has no clamping area for a GPS or lights so it should be replaced anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

My bike got stolen...

last night. This is what I found this morning when I got down to the storage area of my condo...Giant Revolt Advanced-65842516_10214321064525947_963784764232302592_n.jpg

Bought it just 2 months ago, over 2500 Äs gone like that...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantBMCSpecialized View Post
    last night. This is what I found this morning when I got down to the storage area of my condo...Bought it just 2 months ago, over 2500 Äs gone like that...
    That really, really sucks. Do you have home owners insurance? It should cover that.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Did a 100mile ride (with 70 being gravel) last week on my Revolt, couldnít be happier.
    It was great.
    Cool story, bruh
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Unfortunately I'm renting and my landlord did not take out insurance on his flat, so I'm screwed...

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Hello guys, new member here. I was looking for a gravel bike primarily for tire clearance and disc brakes (not so much riding on gravel), narrowed down to Diverge Sport and Revolt 1, mostly due to availability and value. For some reason I was initially under the impression that Revolt 2 runs Tiagra, only came to know at a later stage that 2 comes with 105 (but semi-hydraulic brakes). Anyhow decided on the 1 because of 1X simplicity (going fast is not a priority). Another reason is LBS offered a great deal on 2019 model, they have my size and my preferred color, which is better than 2020 purple (subjective).

So far, I have ridden a couple hundreds of kilometers, very comfortable and confident on less than perfect road surfaces. Was thinking about switching to smoother road tires for efficiency, but I think I would stick with gravel tires for versatility.

Such a great bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Also treated myself with a pair of XTR pedals
    Last edited by ryda; 07-10-2019 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Anyone else having any issues with creaking? I've got about 800 miles on mine now and it's developed a nasty creak whenever I push hard on the drive-side pedal. I've thoroughly washed the bike, pulled and reinstalled the cranks with fresh grease and to the correct torque spec, checked the pedals, and checked the chainring bolts, so I'm pretty sure it's the BB. I'm trying to decide if I want to invest in the tools to pull and re-press the bearings or not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Anyone else having any issues with creaking? I've got about 800 miles on mine now and it's developed a nasty creak whenever I push hard on the drive-side pedal. I've thoroughly washed the bike, pulled and reinstalled the cranks with fresh grease and to the correct torque spec, checked the pedals, and checked the chainring bolts, so I'm pretty sure it's the BB. I'm trying to decide if I want to invest in the tools to pull and re-press the bearings or not.
    Which model Revolt do you have?
    2019 EVIL Offering

Human Test Subject
    I thought my Shimano BB was creaking but it turns out I just flex the chain/rings into the FD.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Which model Revolt do you have?
    It's the 2019 Revolt Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone upgrade their Revolts with an Easton EC90 SL 2x crank? I'm thinking about it for my Ultegra drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Could be your shoe cleats as well
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Just picked up a 2019 Revolt Advanced2 - 22.4 Lbs. with Pedals
    Giant Revolt Advanced-img_1268-1-.jpg
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Does anyone know if you can upgrade the ratchet on the hub of the Revolt Advanced 0 carbon wheels? I'm looking at doing the 54t ratchet upgrade on the Giant hub/DT Swiss 350 internals. BTW I have confirmed from Giant that the hub is internally a DT 350.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    So, strange question perhaps, but is anyone interested in selling the Advanced 0 carbon rims?
    I was in a collision and broke my alloy rim on my 2, so I figured why not upgrade

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I used problem solvers cage extenders to get more room with a banjo brothers bag, worked a treat.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...hoCOyQQAvD_BwE

Two full size bottles no problem.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Unfortunately I'm renting and my landlord did not take out insurance on his flat, so I'm screwed...
    I'm going to assume, based on the usage of "flat" that you're UK. Is renter's insurance a thing over there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Goat View Post
    The wheels are Hunt's Four Season Gravel setup tubeless with Maxxis Ramblers. The disc brakes, shifters and F&R derailleurs were all upgraded to Ultegra. I swapped out the D-Fuse handle bar with a Salsa Cowbell, upgraded to a FSA bottom bracket, the cranks are FSA SL-K carbon. I ended up going with Shimano XT pedals. Just need to swap out stems and possibly put on a new saddle (I am pretty particular about my saddle but the one that came with the bike actually feels like it fits). I am pretty happy with how it turned out!
    I'm looking at the hunt wheels as well, how much weight did you drop from the stock wheels?
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Could be your shoe cleats as well
    Good idea. I went ahead and checked, and unfortunately, that's not it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Max length of Seatpost frame size M

I'm 6'0 with a ~32" inseam and the M/L fits me pretty well. I have the seatpost right at the maximum extension line though, so if I were any taller it wouldn't have worked for me. My road bike is a giant TCR and it's a M/L too (why I went for the M/L on the revolt).
    Can you measure the length from center bottom bracket to height of saddle. I would like to use a M sized frame but need to know if the saddle can get high enough for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilspawn View Post
    I'm going to assume, based on the usage of "flat" that you're UK. Is renter's insurance a thing over there?
    Luxembourg actually. Contents insurance is not a legal requirement here and neither is renter's insurance

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Brohus View Post
    Can you measure the length from center bottom bracket to height of saddle. I would like to use a M sized frame but need to know if the saddle can get high enough for me.
    I'm also 6' with a 32" inseam, and have the saddle set at 763mm on my M/L.

Human Test Subject
    Luxembourg actually. Contents insurance is not a legal requirement here and neither is renter's insurance
    Just knock on people's doors. It's a small place and it shouldn't take long to find it.

mtbr member
    I'm also 6' with a 32" inseam, and have the saddle set at 763mm on my M/L.
    Another great info for my purchase. My saddle on my ML will be at 77.5, how much of a " seatpost is at its max extension " would you say it is ? I'm gonna scroll to check out your picks if you posted some.

mtbr member
    Just knock on people's doors. It's a small place and it shouldn't take long to find it.
    His bike is probably somewhere in Ukraine or Romania now. There's a whole lot of bike robbing gangs storming Europe shops and riders all the time, stolen bikes are sold later on online on the black market..

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    His bike is probably somewhere in Ukraine or Romania now. There's a whole lot of bike robbing gangs storming Europe shops and riders all the time, stolen bikes are sold later on online on the black market..
    Yes, I'm aware of that, I know people who found their stolen bike on Ukranian sites a couple of months later. Nothing doing unfortunately...

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Thanks for the great piece of advice...

Sure, why don't you knock on your neighboursí doors, they may have spotted your missing sense of humour...

Human Test Subject
    So huge mistake on Giant's part-

The Ultegra FD has a support bolt below the braze on mount to stop it from flexing so much. Thanks to the shaped seat tube of the Revolt, this support bolt only hits air. This is one reason why I keep having front derailleur rub and noise when i'm sprinting in certain gears.

Bad design/spec, but could easily be fixed by running 1x.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    So huge mistake on Giant's part-

The Ultegra FD has a support bolt below the braze on mount to stop it from flexing so much. Thanks to the shaped seat tube of the Revolt, this support bolt only hits air. This is one reason why I keep having front derailleur rub and noise when i'm sprinting in certain gears.

Bad design/spec, but could easily be fixed by running 1x.
    Is this the same on the Advanced 2 running Shimano 105?
    2019 EVIL Offering

Human Test Subject
    Apparently it's all shimano front derailleurs. It might not be an issue if you dont flex things that much. My left leg is larger and stronger than my right (1 surgery vs 4) so I'm a bad person to base decisions on.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Not sure if that has already been mentioned, acquaintance of mine, Hrvoje Jurić is currently doing his Giant Revolt (e-bike) tour around the world.
    If you are interested in his adventures please take a look here; https://giantworldtour.com/

He regularly posts on Facebook and a Twitter too... (Giant World Tour by Hrvoje Jurić).

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Revolt Advanced 0

Here is my bike with road wheels on. It is currently in the shop getting a Wheels Mfg BB installed to fix the creaking and I am swapping the crankset out for a Quarq. I will post a pic when I get it back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Here's my Revolt 0 in gravel and road attire. Using the Giant carbon CXR wheels with Conti 32mm TL for road use and the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V and 43mm Panaracer SK GK's for gravel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Revolt Advanced-road.jpg  

Giant Revolt Advanced-gravel.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Here's my Revolt 0 in gravel and road attire. Using the Giant carbon CXR wheels with Conti 32mm TL for road use and the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V and 43mm Panaracer SK GK's for gravel.

Looks good, I was thinking of the same, putting Road Tires on my CXR and grabbing a different gravel wheel set, did you look at any other WS besides the Bontrager? I am looking at Stans CB7 and Hunt

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

mtbr member
    Looks good, but arenít those SLR 42mm rims 17mm wide? That makes no sense for a gravel bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looks good, but arenít those SLR 42mm rims 17mm wide? That makes no sense for a gravel bike...
    Agreed, I noticed this on the equivalent 2020 TCX. I am hoping that 2020 brings the announcement that Giant has widened the ID of their rims. Those are some pretty wide tires to be sitting on 17's.

mtbr member
    My thoughts exactly. I guess Giant wanted to fill a niche here for those folks who want to buy a gravel bike because is the talk of the town but they'll never,ever venture into gravel. Pretty much like what I did with my Diverge back in 2016.

At Work
    Anybody got a set of wheels from a Revolt 0 or 1 which they swapped out that they want to sell?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Well,got a call from my LBS and my ML 0 is on the way, I'll finally figure out if ML is the right size for me but most likely that may seems to be the case. While my Colnago C64 will soon be packed and ready to go to Brasil. I mean, I've spreaded my used bikes all over Italy but Brasil...man that's a long way..LOL. I've heard import taxes in Brasil for these things are crazy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Found out the hard way that the Praxis 48/32 doesnít work on any crankset besides Zayante. I was hoping to put them on a spider based power meter but the chain would rest on the spider and not seat properly on the small chain ring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    Anybody got a set of wheels from a Revolt 0 or 1 which they swapped out that they want to sell?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
    Selling mine (carbon) though I would prefer local sale here in So Cal.

mtbr member
    New bike day ! I love the bike and look forward to give her her first maiden ride,wich will be in a month. Size is ML and saddle height is at 76.5 cm, it does look way more exposed in the picture than what it is in real life.
    Placing XTR pedals tonight as soon as I'll be back from work. Wife not happy about seeing 2 bikes in the house,but the Colnago is for sale,it should go soon. I was a bit afraid about paint quality issues but the bike is spotless,thank you Giant for the QC. It's good to be back with Shimano, I could not recall how to shift gears this morning when I've rolled her out the shop..lol..

Giant Revolt Advanced-revolt.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    New bike day ! I love the bike and look forward to give her her first maiden ride,wich will be in a month. Size is ML and saddle height is at 76.5 cm, it does look way more exposed in the picture than what it is in real life.
    Placing XTR pedals tonight as soon as I'll be back from work. Wife not happy about seeing 2 bikes in the house,but the Colnago is for sale,it should go soon. I was a bit afraid about paint quality issues but the bike is spotless,thank you Giant for the QC. It's good to be back with Shimano, I could not recall how to shift gears this morning when I've rolled her out the shop..lol..

Name:	revolt.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	1270645
    Why are you getting rid of the C64?

mtbr member
    Why are you getting rid of the C64?
    I've posted it before in another section of the forum : after a close call with a car back in december I just can't find pleasure of riding on the road anymore. The guy veered off road and totaled his car in order to avoid me and eventually either kill me or seriously injur me. With a 4 years old boy at home I just don't see the point of moving on about it and that's why I'm embracing gravel. The C64 is still worth some money,I'd love to keep it but that's not a painting to ogle at,better sell it while it still has value. Happy wife happy life.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 08-12-2019 at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Rainy week ahead, so I installed SKS Bluemels fenders. They fit nicely with 42mm Resolutes, and only slight modifications were needed to mount them...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Looks nice! How do you like those Resolutes? I've been thinking of getting something slightly more aggressive than the stock tires and those are my leading contender. Do they still roll OK on pavement / hardpack? Thanks!

mtbr member

Giant Revolt Advanced

I think they roll faster and hold air better than the Crosscut tires. In fact, only Compass Barlow Pass was faster than Resolute in a gravel tire test done by Gran Fondo magazine.
    Iím running 25/30 psi and they are quite supple, and cornering on tarmac is great even with such low pressure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone upgraded their included handlebar- Giant Contact XR D-Fuse to the carbon version? i'm not concerned about weight but am interested in improved compliance. Its listed at $400 CDN and i would expect atleast some improvement but I can't imagine its worth $400? ( I'd love to be wrong)

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Recently picked up the 2020 adv 1 in XL. I have been riding it mostly around local single track trails, its a good change of pace to the trail bike.

Giant Revolt Advanced-img_20190824_153221.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    ^ Tell me that isn't Oz?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Haha yep, nailed it!

Nobody
    Has anyone had the cassette off there Model 0 yet? Iím wondering if there is a spacer behind the cassette. I had a frame replacement under warranty and asked the shop to fit a SRAM 11-36 cassette. It shifts like crap, but when I reinstalled my Ultegra cassette, itís loose on the free hub after the nut is tightened down. Everything I read says that 11spd should not require any spacers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Any of you guys upgrade the thru-axles on your Revolts? I've been looking at Roberts, Extralite, and Carbon Ti as options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Has anyone had the cassette off there Model 0 yet? Iím wondering if there is a spacer behind the cassette. I had a frame replacement under warranty and asked the shop to fit a SRAM 11-36 cassette. It shifts like crap, but when I reinstalled my Ultegra cassette, itís loose on the free hub after the nut is tightened down. Everything I read says that 11spd should not require any spacers.
    A spacer is needed with the Shimano Ultegra 11-34 cassette. I used the spacer with the Giant carbon wheels and the current Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V's.

Nobody
    Thanks. Any clue the thickness?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ultegra 11-34 appears to have been designed to be cross-compatible with mtn freehubs. So try a 1.8mm spacer.
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...-HG800-11.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My Revolt is nearly complete. Next and final upgrade the Ultegra to Di2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Revolt Advanced-easton1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Finally threw my 650b wheelset on with 650x47ís. Rolls a little slower but they are less expensive hubs and the tires are more aggressive. Definitely feels more confident over the rougher stuff and I think it looks cool.

Giant Revolt Advanced-25006c98-a694-4bbc-9b53-0f090fed2c9b.jpgGiant Revolt Advanced-5e900987-bda2-4380-b54a-dad2ca363d25.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    What happened to your frame ?

mtbr member

I'd love to see a side view of this please?

Does anyone with a 765 mm saddle height ride a large? I'm 6'0 even and from the geo charts it looks like i could ride either.

I have previously ridden a M/L TCX and TCR.

Thanks in advance
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I think I have the same problem
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Just an FYI this could be a one off but the bearing has to be replaced in my back wheel with only about 200 miles on my bike. I donít know what happened but the shop in trying to get a new one to replace it.
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    The shop I got my bike from replaced the back wheel. So Iím good to go now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    I'd love to see a side view of this please?

Does anyone with a 765 mm saddle height ride a large? I'm 6'0 even and from the geo charts it looks like i could ride either.

I have previously ridden a M/L TCX and TCR.

Thanks in advance
    Yes,based on the Revolt's geometry I could have picked a L but I'm glad I went for the ML. I've owned the latest TCR in ML aswell and it felt way too stretched. The Revolt has the same reach as my Colnago but with a 100 mm stem instead of a 110 it feels so perfectly relaxed. Btw I'm 6,0 even too. Bear in mind that the ML comes with a 175 mm crank too.

mtbr member
    Quick spin around my neighborhood this morning,looks like I'm gonna have to buy a 110 mm stem,the bike felt " excessively" upright. Maybe I should give it a first proper test ride but it seems a lot of Revolt owners ended up swapping their stems. Maybe it's not the stem per se the issue,but rathe the bars backsweep ?
    Last edited by Devastazione; 08-28-2019 at 10:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Yes,based on the Revolt's geometry I could have picked a L but I'm glad I went for the ML. I've owned the latest TCR in ML aswell and it felt way too stretched. The Revolt has the same reach as my Colnago but with a 100 mm stem instead of a 110 it feels so perfectly relaxed. Btw I'm 6,0 even too. Bear in mind that the ML comes with a 175 mm crank too.
    The ML should come with a 172.5mm crank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quick spin around my neighborhood this morning,looks like I'm gonna have to buy a 110 mm stem,the bike felt " excessively" upright. Maybe I should give it a first proper test ride but it seems a lot of Revolt owners ended up swapping their stems. Maybe it's not the stem per se the issue,but rathe the bars backsweep ?
    You may want to give it a few more test rides, particularly on some gravel. I felt the same with my first rides, which were on pavement. The position is a bit different versus a road bike, or at least it feels that way to me. After riding some on gravel the position doesn't seem as excessively upright as it did at first, though I may still try a 110mm stem at some point (riding a ML as well).

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I am running an 85mm on my medium, makes it much easier to bunny hop ruts, roots, and dead animals.
    However, I run a 32mm stem on my mt. Bike...

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    The ML should come with a 172.5mm crank.
    sorry,my bad, ML has 172,5, L comes with 175.

mtbr member
    The first week I had my bike I changed to a longer stem with the stock bar. But after riding it for a while I went back to the stock stem and changed the bar. I didnít like how it felt I wanted one without the back sweep and one that had a flat top. I took the 3T erganova compact bar off my road bike the Revolt replaced.

mtbr member
    The first week I had my bike I changed to a longer stem with the stock bar. But after riding it for a while I went back to the stock stem and changed the bar. I didnít like how it felt I wanted one without the back sweep and one that had a flat top. I took the 3T erganova compact bar off my road bike the Revolt replaced.
    I have the 3T ergonova on my C64 but I'm shipping it tomorrow to its new owner,you think he will notice if I swap the bars ?....lol.
    Yeah most likely I will end up replacing the bars too,when you are used to carbon bars it's difficult to go back to alu. Another quick spin around the house,I've noticed how the seatpost truly flexes when the tarmac gets rough. I'm more and more in love with this bike each and every day and look forward to start this new adventure into gravel.

mtbr member
    I have the 3T ergonova on my C64 but I'm shipping it tomorrow to its new owner,you think he will notice if I swap the bars ?....lol.
    Yeah most likely I will end up replacing the bars too,when you are used to carbon bars it's difficult to go back to alu. Another quick spin around the house,I've noticed how the seatpost truly flexes when the tarmac gets rough. I'm more and more in love with this bike each and every day and look forward to start this new adventure into gravel.
    Yea the seat post flex is still something I canít get used to. Every time I go fast down a gravel road it feels like the rear tire is going soft. I know itís not but I have to stop and check every time it feels like that. Itís just something I have to get used to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quick question. Perhaps it's buried in this thread and I can't find it, but does anyone have a weight for the frame? Also the fork weight?

I rented a Revolt Adv 0 last weekend and am seriously considering it. I was previously considering a Defy, but not quite sure what the Defy offers that the Revolt couldn't offer with a lighter wheelset, unless the frame weights are really different. Any thoughts on the Defy vs. Revolt comparison would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!

Human Test Subject
    My Revolt is nearly complete. Next and final upgrade the Ultegra to Di2.
    What's the weight down to, under 17 yet? If you upgrade to the full carbon seatpost let is know how it compares to the stock one.

mtbr member
    Looking good. I like how the rear daylight fits. Sealant is in,garmin in place and iím ready for the maiden ride,she is begging to get dirty. 9.1 kgs size ML with pedals and cages,not a featherweight bike but no big deal. Looking around to upgrade wheels already.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Revolt Advanced-28cc46bf-a077-4433-929d-b7ccf57ac0bd.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I got a great deal on a like-new 2019 Advanced 2. I just wanted to confirm that to go full hydraulic, I just need Shimano 105 hydro shifters (ST-R7020). LBS can order these without the calipers to save money. It seems like a very straight-forward job but I just wanted to check and see if I was missing something. I assume others have done the same. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Yes, I'm aware of that, I know people who found their stolen bike on Ukranian sites a couple of months later. Nothing doing unfortunately...
    Hi,
    The same thing happened to me as you did... except that the room where my bike was stored was not closed!
    However, I was refund half of the new price of my bike which was 3 years old....

In fact, as a renter, you are the one who must take out home insurance... precisely to insure your furniture, TV, etc...
    There is an extra break-in so after filing a complaint with the police you just had to report the theft to the insurance company and with the invoice he would refund your revolt !

There I wait for my Revolt 0 and once received it will be stored in my apartment...with my other bike
    "Pigeon, oiseau ŗ la grise robe/dans líenfer des villes/ŗ mon regard tu te dťrobes.../Tu es vraiment le plus agile."

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex Wallis View Post
    I got a great deal on a like-new 2019 Advanced 2. I just wanted to confirm that to go full hydraulic, I just need Shimano 105 hydro shifters (ST-R7020). LBS can order these without the calipers to save money. It seems like a very straight-forward job but I just wanted to check and see if I was missing something. I assume others have done the same. Thanks.
    That is correct - you can use the stock calipers and only need new hydraulic shifters. Chances are good you will also need some more hydraulic hose as the length will be slightly different as you now bypass the head unit. That was the first thing I did to my bike as I couldn't stop staring at that ugly beak sticking out in front of my stem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
    That is correct - you can use the stock calipers and only need new hydraulic shifters. Chances are good you will also need some more hydraulic hose as the length will be slightly different as you now bypass the head unit. That was the first thing I did to my bike as I couldn't stop staring at that ugly beak sticking out in front of my stem.
    Perfect, thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
    gluestick, one more question...when you take off that conduct system, did you have a separate stem face place to replace it? I have all the various Garmin mounts that can attach to that conduct system, but if I take that off I don't seem to have a stem face place which replaces it.

Human Test Subject
    That stem's a tank. This might be a good excuse to get one that doesn't weigh 175g.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    That stem's a tank. This might be a good excuse to get one that doesn't weigh 175g.
    You read my mind and I'm already looking at options. I had just thought somebody said Giant shipped a normal stem face plate for the Advanced 2, but maybe that's not true.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    gluestick, one more question...when you take off that conduct system, did you have a separate stem face place to replace it? I have all the various Garmin mounts that can attach to that conduct system, but if I take that off I don't seem to have a stem face place which replaces it.
    My Advanced 2 came with the face plate in the bag with all the other misc. parts.
    2019 EVIL Offering

At Work
    Check your LBS where you bought it, they probably have one.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Looking good. I like how the rear daylight fits. Sealant is in,garmin in place and iím ready for the maiden ride,she is begging to get dirty. 9.1 kgs size ML with pedals and cages,not a featherweight bike but no big deal. Looking around to upgrade wheels already.
    thanks for that.

That saddle to bar drop is too much for me, i will likely go with a large.

It's a gravel bike after all rather than a road bike.

A test ride will tell as I just sold my old gravel bike yesterday.

I'd love to find a 2019 Revolt Advanced 0.....black > teal
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What size? There's an ML local to me for $4300 CDN..

I wish I could find an XL...

mtbr member
    First gravel ride this morning. The bike is a joy to ride and unlike my old 2016 Diverge wich was still to much of a road bike the Revolt is a true gravel bike. I'm gonna keep the Maxxis velocita' tires for a while since some road transfers between gravel paths are mandatory and these tires aren't that bad on gravel either. Giant truly nailed it with this bike.

At Work
    First gravel ride this morning. The bike is a joy to ride and unlike my old 2016 Diverge wich was still to much of a road bike the Revolt is a true gravel bike. I'm gonna keep the Maxxis velocita' tires for a while since some road transfers between gravel paths are mandatory and these tires aren't that bad on gravel either. Giant truly nailed it with this bike.
    Did it not come with the Giant Crosscut tires?
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Did it not come with the Giant Crosscut tires?
    The 2020 come with Velocita AR while the 2019 came with the crosscut...

I received my advanced 2019 0 yesterday and I have already mounted Velocita AR !
    "Pigeon, oiseau ŗ la grise robe/dans líenfer des villes/ŗ mon regard tu te dťrobes.../Tu es vraiment le plus agile."

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'm gonna keep the Maxxis velocita' tires
    On the 2020, which ones have come up?
    The 60 (SilkShield) or 120 (Exo) TPI?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Ready to ride...

...after I would have reversed the brakes because it's a UK version

Giant Revolt Advanced-img_20190906_125556.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Anyone have a frame weight for the Revolt?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInYpsi View Post
    A few comments about questions from various posts above....

On 650b axles: Yes, Iím running a front 15mm TA mountain bike wheel set and just use a 12mm adapter. Works fine and donít realize itís there.

On 650b wheels/tires: Iím running ~2Ē tires on my 650b wheels, and I like them on chunky gravel to run very low pressures. They also make the bike fun to ride on the occasional tame single track for something different. Could you use a 29er MTB on these surfaces? - sure, whatever floats your boat.

On my 700c wheelset Iím running Specialized Pathfinders which I REALLY love for dirt roads and paved paths/roads. They have been a fantastic tire, but I appreciate the higher volume and lower pressures for 650b tires on certain surfaces.

On framebags: Iíve settled on the Topeak Midloader in Medium. It fills the upper part of the triangle well. Iíve had to get a set of side load bottle cages that I can slam to the bottom of the triangle to maximize the remaining space for 2 bottles. Pic below.

Overall impressions: Iíve got a bunch of miles on my Revolt and am currently on a weeklong tour across Michigan. The bike has been fantastic. Iíve even convinced myself that upgrading to a Di2 groupset is unnecessary as the mechanical Ultegra has been flawless with super crisp shifts. I recently sold my bling carbon Di2 Defy and havenít missed it one bit.
    Which adapter are you using for 15mm to 12mm TA?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bonedoc98 View Post
    Which adapter are you using for 15mm to 12mm TA?
    https://www.pdxti.com/products/pdxti...5mm-ta-adapter

Note: I had to slightly machine the front axle end caps to it into the fork on the Revolt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Anyone have any specifics or estimates on the frame weight of the Revolt? Apologies for asking multiple times, just havenít found anything.

mtbr member
    Ok the bike makes from day one an horrible creaking/clunking noise coming from the saddle or seatpost. The infamous seatpost is not slipping so it must be the saddle rails or something. It's truly a loud noise,feels like the frame is about to crack and split in two. I was hoping it would have settled in with use but nothing yet. Suggestions ? Some WD40 on saddle's rails ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Ok the bike makes from day one an horrible creaking/clunking noise coming from the saddle or seatpost. The infamous seatpost is not slipping so it must be the saddle rails or something. It's truly a loud noise,feels like the frame is about to crack and split in two. I was hoping it would have settled in with use but nothing yet. Suggestions ? Some WD40 on saddle's rails ?
    Didn't you overtighten the seat post attachment?

I know that at first it cracked on mine too, but after I put the carbon paste in, nothing left!

At Work
    Your seat may need to be tightened a bit more, I had a creak develop and could not figure out where, loosened the rear bolt, turned down the adjuster a bit and retightened the rear bolt (If you just tighten only, it may raise the nose just a tad depending on how loose it may have been.......). Mine seamed to go away some.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Your seat may need to be tightened a bit more, I had a creak develop and could not figure out where, loosened the rear bolt, turned down the adjuster a bit and retightened the rear bolt (If you just tighten only, it may raise the nose just a tad depending on how loose it may have been.......). Mine seamed to go away some.
    Most likely it's the saddle. I've stood by the bike today, grabbed the saddle with both hands and started tilting it back and forth with all my weight. While the seatpost flexed the way it supposed to do,I've clearly felt the saddle creaking under my palms. I'm going to unbolt the saddle tonight, clean and grease the whole rails and bolts and see what happens.
    Concerning the seatpost my mechanic is very anal and always uses carbon paste and tights the thing at its mx Nm's allowance. I'm quite positive it's not the seatpost,being at 191 lbs and having hit some gravel it should have had slipped in already,especially since I know its one of this frame native issues,but that did not happened yet.

mtbr member
    Damn,it turns out it was the seatpost clamp after all ! My mechanic used carbon paste but the bolt was pretty far from being locked at 6 Nm as recommend as max torque. If the seatpost hasnít slipped under my weight it must all be accounted for to the carbon paste. Ok,iíve got a quite bike now. Not sure if I should clean saddle rails from the applied lithium grease now...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobster View Post
    I was going to go Tubus racks. But then thought hang on, if Giant do their own specific ones surely they will have made some design decision on the weight bearing etc, so therefore be more likely to work better. So I have the Giant ones front a rear. They are fairly light, welds look good. And the black is the same 😎. The rear went on really easy - just had to remove and flip the centre p clip that goes onto bridge. Used my own stainless well greased Allen bolts. The front disk side presented a challenge. If naked against frame it caught the QR lever. So I have mounted it out with a black alloy brake washer about 3mm thick. Worked. At the very end of the righting turns though it still catches. So in time I might grind the thumb/widened (non structural) thickness of the QR lever. But itís OK for now. I felt a bit stupid offering the new front rack to the fork, the holes didnít align, thought theyíd supplied the wrong ones. But realised you need to stretch the overall rack right angle a bit to get them to the right size. Have mounted front as far back behind front hub as possible, and riding it - can barely feel it, in fact more stable. Rear rack does not catch heels either. Plus leaves good platform for tent, and roll if needed.
    Nobster - which specific racks did you go with. Interested in rear mostly. Now that you have used it longer would you stick with the Giant branded rack or go something different?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi all,
    I read there is a specific system to set up a panier rack on the Giant Revolt, do you know the maximum weight that this specific rack could carry (for a touring trip)?
    Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am going to try a Zero on for size tomorrow. My checkbook will forever hate me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by Dock Rocker View Post
    I am going to try a Zero on for size tomorrow. My checkbook will forever hate me.

No it wont....... It will enjoy it just as much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    i rode both the ML and Large Revolt 0 and i could fit either.

The dimensions of the large were basically identical to those of my road bike.

I'm 183 cm tall and if were to buy one, i would go large.

Very nice ride, the seatpost flex is noticeable and comfortable.

I wound up buying something else (cheaper) though in the end.

Very nice bikes
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Pulled the bike out to wash it today and found one of the rubber plugs in the fork missing. So I decided to pull the other one and replace them with bolts to keep water out of the fork. When I put the first one in the internal part with the threads snapped as soon as the head of the bolt stopped on the fork. I literally put almost no force on the bolt. Now I have no plain to use the mounts. But I would maybe like the option down the road. I guess I have to go talk to the shop I got it from about a warranty.
    Last edited by pulser; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Pulled the bike out to wash it today and found one of the rubber plugs in the fork missing. So I decided to pull the other one and replace them with bolts to keep water out of the fork. When I put the first one in the internal part with the threads snapped as soon as the head of the bolt stopped on the fork. I literally put almost no force on the bolt. Now I have no plain to use the mounts. But I would maybe like the option down the road. I guess I have to go talk to the shop I got it from about a warranty.
    Interesting,my bike came without both plugs and most of the Revolts I see on social medias donít carry them aswell. Not all of them but most of them. Well guess what now I want them, I bet those are impossible to find even through my LBS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Interesting,my bike came without both plugs and most of the Revolts I see on social medias donít carry them aswell. Not all of them but most of them. Well guess what now I want them, I bet those are impossible to find even through my LBS.
    Mine came with them and lost one. The local Giant shop couldnít get them. I just went to Loweís and bought 2 stainless M5 bolts to go in there.

Human Test Subject
    I lost one and replaced them both with black ti rotor bolts. For even weight distribution. One plug and one bolt and I'd only be able to turn left.

mtbr member
    This has me thinking about the possibility of doing something fun down the road. Like putting a lefty off a slate or the Lauf grit fork on the bike. But I havenít really looked hard at the numbers yet to see what would happen to the geometry if I did. For some reason I want to try the lefty. I have really really wanted a slate for a while now. I almost got one but got the Giant because if was over a grand cheeped. And it felt like a much better value for the money right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    This has me thinking about the possibility of doing something fun down the road. Like putting a lefty off a slate...
    In my humble experience I can give you this opinion...
    I owned a slate with a rigid fork (lefty solo), with which I covered about 8000km and I could test a Slate with the lefty Oliver for 1 week.
    The Oliver is clearly an asset on brittle roads, but it does not lock completely even in closed mode (it is a safety feature to protect the cartridge) so on the road there is a net loss of performance.
    On my Slate with the rigid solo I had changed my wheels for 25mm inner rims and I can tell you that mounted in tubeless with low tire pressure the offroad damping is really interesting.
    Another very important aspect is the geometry, the head tube is rather lowered while the rear of the bike is more Mtb type, the riding position is quite aggressive but for long trips it is rather tiring and uncomfortable.
    The aluminium frame is superb with the shrouds and the "Save" seatpost but once again the geometry is designed for single track so for mixed road/gravel exits of more than 60km it is complicated. Let's not forget that the Lefty Oliver requires regular maintenance or risk losing the warranty and that it is effective coupled with 650b wheels.

Coming back to our Revolt, it is clear that for off-road driving there are limited capacities compared to Slate. This is due in particular to the 700c wheels with a width of 21mm inner, which does not allow the wide tires (+ 42mm) to fit completely on the rim.
    However, the carbon fork has a good flex and allows to filter a lot of asperities and the comfort provided by the carbon frame has nothing to do with the Slate on the road and the gravel...

You should consider the possibility of mounting 650b wheels with a width of 23 or 25 mm inner which would change the offroad capabilities of your Revolt...and it would cost you half the price of a lefty Oliver! With the right tires and low pressure it would make you a second bike!

Besides I could tell you more about it soon because I am waiting for my DT SWISS GR 1600 Spline 25 in 650B which will be assembled with WTB Venture 47.
    To be continued...
    Last edited by Nemecoutepa; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawker800mech View Post
    Mine came with them and lost one. The local Giant shop couldnít get them. I just went to Loweís and bought 2 stainless M5 bolts to go in there.
    Hold it ! Iíve found them,my bike came with those and iíve lost them both during the bike wash,but managed to recover them into my gardenís grid manhole. They pop out very easily,wonder if I should glue them,iíll never ever place any fender or bag anyway.

At Work
    Hold it ! Iíve found them,my bike came with those and iíve lost them both during the bike wash,but managed to recover them into my gardenís grid manhole. They pop out very easily,wonder if I should glue them,iíll never ever place any fender or bag anyway.
    Just get some black rtv, fill hole and let it stick out some. then take a razerblade and cut smooth once dry.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Update on the fork. I got it to the shop today and they were able to get the bolt out and then use the pop rivet tool like what you use for water bottle bolts. And they just tightened it up. So no warranty needed for now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Update on the fork. I got it to the shop today and they were able to get the bolt out and then use the pop rivet tool like what you use for water bottle bolts. And they just tightened it up. So no warranty needed for now.
    Itís a rivnut. Good that they were able to fix it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Finally have mine ready to ride, a like-new 2019 Advanced 2 bought online. Replaced the compact system with 105 hydro levers and took that opportunity to throw on a Ritchey C220 84D stem and new bar tape. The WTB Resolute tires (700x42) were already on there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Revolt Advanced-giant-revolt-advanced-2.jpg  

Human Test Subject
    Anyone know if the front hub can be converted to 15mm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone else having issues with the seat post sliding down?

Any tips on how to get it to stay?

I have some carbon paste on the way now.

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by Dock Rocker View Post
    Anyone else having issues with the seat post sliding down?

Any tips on how to get it to stay?

I have some carbon paste on the way now.

This was discussed in this thread but its huge now and probably hard to find. Basically carbon paste and up the torque like .2 or .4 past the recommended torque

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This was discussed in this thread but its huge now and probably hard to find. Basically carbon paste and up the torque like .2 or .4 past the recommended torque
    Thank you. I put some paste on it and went for a 60 mile run and it worked like a champ!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone got a set of wheels they want to part with? I want to set up a set for the road and some a little more aggressive.

mtbr member

Beautiful bike! I ordered the same one except in large last week. I ordered primarily for gravel rides but Iím somewhat confused why Giant Changed the tires to Maxxis Velocita which might be good on hard surfaces but donít look ideal for loose gravel. Have you had any experience riding on loose gravel at all? Also, is there a way to attach Garmin mounts and lights to the dfuse bars?
    Thanks!
    2020 Giant Revolt 0
    Advocate Hayduke
    Lynskey R230
    Focus Cayo Team Jelly Belly

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kdoug View Post
    Also, is there a way to attach Garmin mounts and lights to the dfuse bars?
    Thanks!
    I am using the K-Edge mount. They work well but the aware that if you are OCD itís a little crooked because the bars are swept back. Unless you use the blendr mount from Bontrager every other mount will do the same thing.

mtbr member
    First proper gravel ride after a full month getting legs ready after 5 months of stop. Truly impressed by the bike,it can take gnarly gravel and light singletracks no issues. The only drawback? It needs to be washed every 2/3 rides,it gets way too much covered with dry dirt. While itís no problem for the frame needless to say the transmission suffers a lot if neglected. Loving this bike,itís a good work out too since it needs a lot of bodyís imput.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Revolt Advanced-4036c5ff-9fdd-4825-9271-28845e98175f.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdoug View Post
    Beautiful bike! I ordered the same one except in large last week. I ordered primarily for gravel rides but Iím somewhat confused why Giant Changed the tires to Maxxis Velocita which might be good on hard surfaces but donít look ideal for loose gravel. Have you had any experience riding on loose gravel at all? Also, is there a way to attach Garmin mounts and lights to the dfuse bars?
    Thanks!
    Yes tires are not the best for loose gravel,iíve had a couple of poopy pants moments. Iíll keep them anyway,loose gravel is rare in my area and thereís a lot of short and punchy road tranfers in between. No issues whatsoever in using a Garmin mount,just keep it as close at possible to the stem to avoid the barís backsweep.

At Work
    Makes no sense why they changed, the Revolt 1 & 2 still show coming with the Cross Cut's.........
    I would order the Cross Cuts, or see if they will swap out. They work really well on road and gravel. I did end up picking up another stock set of wheels and throwing on some WTB Slicks for just road rides.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Makes no sense why they changed, the Revolt 1 & 2 still show coming with the Cross Cut's.........
    I would order the Cross Cuts, or see if they will swap out. They work really well on road and gravel. I did end up picking up another stock set of wheels and throwing on some WTB Slicks for just road rides.
    I've been very happy with the Cross Cuts so far but I did pick up a 2nd set of wheels for road use. however, I often leave my Cross Cuts on for light road rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnmusic View Post
    650b baby! I was road+ curious.

Attachment 1235683
    Im going to order those exact wheels except maybe with a little more aggressive tire. Did you have Hunt mount those Shimano centerlock discís for you?
    2020 Giant Revolt 0
    Advocate Hayduke
    Lynskey R230

mtbr member
    May 2004

Great Bike

I was able to test the Revolt out thoroughly last weekend. This bike is a beast! Giant Revolt Advanced-strava4794730989653184349.jpg

mtbr member
    Really like the color in person of the Revolt 0. Installed XT 8100 pedals, TacX cages and Spintech mirror for now. I have Hunt 650b wheels coming. I had to spend some time on the front derailleur because the tolerances were off on the cage. The front SHIMANO caliper has a paint chip and the hydraulic brake line rubber grommets werenít pushed all the way in. One of the grommets will likely need to be replaced because it wont secure into the frame and lay flat. Hopefully when the 650b wheels come Iíll be able to shim the rotors properly so I want have to adjust the calipers every time I switch the wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Revolt Advanced-img_2225.jpg  

2020 Giant Revolt 0
    Advocate Hayduke
    Lynskey R230

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInYpsi View Post
    https://www.pdxti.com/products/pdxti...5mm-ta-adapter

Note: I had to slightly machine the front axle end caps to it into the fork on the Revolt.

ive had my adapters finally arrive and like youve found out, the front hubs dont perfectly fit into the fork. will need to do a bit of machine work on the hubs for it to fit properly. bummer. never had this problems with other forks (rockshox, fox or whisky QR forks). was hoping it would just be a direct swap!

mtbr member
    How often you guys wash this bike ? It's still very dry here and while with the road bike was once every 2/3 weeks I'm basically washing this bike at least twice a week. Transmission suffers a lot after a couple of dusty rides and the frame virtually turns yellow. No need to mention sealant sprayed all over as Maxxis Velocita' tire gets punctured EVERY ride . I'm doing it with a gentle drizzle,not full stream,but not sure bearings may like it in the long run...

At Work
    I just rinse mine off if it gets really covered........ We finally got some rain the other day, hopefully it will help some.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    How often you guys wash this bike ? It's still very dry here and while with the road bike was once every 2/3 weeks I'm basically washing this bike at least twice a week. Transmission suffers a lot after a couple of dusty rides and the frame virtually turns yellow. No need to mention sealant sprayed all over as Maxxis Velocita' tire gets punctured EVERY ride . I'm doing it with a gentle drizzle,not full stream,but not sure bearings may like it in the long run...
    wipe it down with a wet cloth rather than washing it fully.

Run a rag over the chain.

I hate to see how often you will be washing the bike come wet season
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    wipe it down with a wet cloth rather than washing it fully.

Run a rag over the chain.

I hate to see how often you will be washing the bike come wet season
    Canít wait for that ! We have zero mud in my area,soil is very granite-ish.

mtbr member
    I've run my Hayduke all year on gravel with never a wash or lubricating the chain. It shifts perfectly and the dust makes a great dry lube.

Off subject, I'm not sure if anybody's played around with these new front Shimano derailleur's but they are a thing of beauty and are extremely easy to adjust compared to the old 6800's.
    2020 Giant Revolt 0
    Advocate Hayduke
    Lynskey R230

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Had some significant chain suck on my Anyroad Advanced that ended up cracking the frame where the FD mounts. My LBS store is currently building up a replacement bike using a Revolt Pro frame. Weighs exactly 3 lbs (no fork) in the XL size - in case anyone would like to know.

Human Test Subject
    How is it so much heavier than their xc frame?

mtbr member
    Ok,Maxxis Velocitŗ tires are officially crap,at least the EXO version. I keep getting a lot of flats,iíve ordered the Silkshield version,it should add a bit of extra protection. Bike is still amazing,they call these bikes the N+1 but once you get to ride them iíd say itís the other way around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Revolt Advanced-ef9288e6-537f-494e-bd1b-52b55dbf9084.jpg  

mtbr member
    Ok,Maxxis Velocitŗ tires are officially crap,at least the EXO version. I keep getting a lot of flats,iíve ordered the Silkshield version,it should add a bit of extra protection. Bike is still amazing,they call these bikes the N+1 but once you get to ride them iíd say itís the other way around.
    N+1 isn't a bike. It's the proper amount of bike to have where N is the number you currently own.
    Sucks on the tires though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Rear Derailleur

Anyone else's rear derailleur feel a little 'grindy' with the clutch on? With it off it is just fine, but with it on I get this grindiness when going up in gear. Shifting down it is fine, and is also fine if I shift up two and then down one to the gear I actually want. I used to just mostly get it in the biggest two cogs but now it is apparent in all of them, especially when in the small chainring.

I've tried taking out the jockey wheels and cleaning them off and also adjusting the b-screw. Or is a bit of grindiness/friction normal?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    How is it so much heavier than their xc frame?
    Got me. Would note that this is the largest frame at XL and also the downtube and chainslap guards will add a few ounces. The LBS owner thought it was pretty light and has decided to buy the top end version of the Revolt to use as a "do everything" bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Anyone else's rear derailleur feel a little 'grindy' with the clutch on? With it off it is just fine, but with it on I get this grindiness when going up in gear. Shifting down it is fine, and is also fine if I shift up two and then down one to the gear I actually want. I used to just mostly get it in the biggest two cogs but now it is apparent in all of them, especially when in the small chainring.

I've tried taking out the jockey wheels and cleaning them off and also adjusting the b-screw. Or is a bit of grindiness/friction normal?
    Have you been riding the muck a lot? Could be you have some dirt in your lines causing the shifting issue. Was one of the reasons I eventually went wireless.

mtbr member

Sounds normal to me,thatís why iíve never used the clutch on my mountainbikes, really hated the feeling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Did my first gravel race last weekend, and won! The Revolt performed flawlessly.

Giant Revolt Advanced-ggg4.jpg

Giant Revolt Advanced-ggg5.jpg

Giant Revolt Advanced-ggg2.jpg

Giant Revolt Advanced-ggg3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sounds normal to me,thatís why iíve never used the clutch on my mountainbikes, really hated the feeling.
    Really easy to loosen the tension on shimano clutch mechs. Generally you'll have a grindy feeling if your b screw isnt set right, chain is too short, or you've got too much tension on your clutch. Reducing the tension on my clutch resolved that issue on my mtb.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast