Giant Revolt Advanced - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Iíve seen the orange 2 at my lbs today and fell in love with it. Since I would be going 650 b anyway on a 0 I really wonder if itís worth to spend the extra cash for a black frame and Ultegra stuff. Owned 105 before on a Diverge and it worked fine,the only drawback on the 1 is the weird braking system with that thingy on the stem. Either way looks like my Colnago will soon get a little sister that will cause her a lot of neglect..
    105 is solid but man does the Ultegra stuff feel buttery smooth! I took mine out last night for a quick 27 mile ride on some mixed surfaces and it was fast! Personally I would stay away from the giant mech to hydro braking unit. Even the guys at the LBS were talking about how stupid it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I got the 2 with a set of take off Ultegra disc shifters and calipers the shop had laying around for a good price. The 105 derailleurs and Praxis crank shift great. As for the wheels you can get a set of alloy Hunts that weight the same or less than the Giant carbons for under $400.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hello, did the price of the Giant Revolt just go up? I had prices back in November and it took me some time to raise the money, now the LBS says the price went up over $200. I wanted to check before I ranted about our goverment making us pay more for everything again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cottonball View Post
    Hello, did the price of the Giant Revolt just go up? I had prices back in November and it took me some time to raise the money, now the LBS says the price went up over $200. I wanted to check before I ranted about our goverment making us pay more for everything again.
    Not sure where you are posting from, but when the orange one's tariffs went in this past fall the price went up literally $300 overnight. It was an incredible deal at the original price of $1800.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hello gluestick, thanks for getting back to me on the prices, my jaw dropped when the lbs told me that. I sold a lot of great parts trying to raise money to buy a NEW bike and then to know it's all because of a orange headed butt head who has more money that nun of us will ever think of Having and a tariff that will never do more than make every American pay more for everything they use, and that is all it will ever do. So no new bike for me. I am a little upset, but I can't wait for the new health care plan to come into effect, oh yea he doesn't have one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    hi all. wanted to ask if anyone has swapped from the original revolt saddle? looking for recommendations on a comfortable, lightweight saddle. leaning towards the brooks c13 but i have not personally tried it yet. wanted to listen to other suggestions if you have any. tia.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    new member here... I am waiting to get a Advance 0 but still in backorder.
    I am 5'7... I am in between a Small and a Medium on the charts.
    any inputs?? (prob getting small but want to hear any recommendations)
    any feedback on the bike itself. worth it??

TIA

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've found the stock neutral saddle to be rather comfortable. Maybe its just the bike overall. Feels incredibly smooth in the rough. Feedback on the bike? It's awesome. Very fast and efficient on the road and smooth and nimble on the gravel. I've been absolutely amazed with this bike. I couldnt be happier with it. Checks every box for me for. Im on an Advanced 0, M/L at 6'. Fits perfectly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jburm View Post
    I've found the stock neutral saddle to be rather comfortable. Maybe its just the bike overall. Feels incredibly smooth in the rough. Feedback on the bike? It's awesome. Very fast and efficient on the road and smooth and nimble on the gravel. I've been absolutely amazed with this bike. I couldnt be happier with it. Checks every box for me for. Im on an Advanced 0, M/L at 6'. Fits perfectly.
    Thank you for the reply. I am curious if this bike with a second set of deeper carbon wheels can be a "quiver killer" for those that also ride some on faster road bikes. Faster group rides around me are 20-23 MPH average and I ride an aero carbon road frame with deeper wheels to keep up. Do you also ride road or can you offer any insight on your impressions on pavement? It would be easier to justify with the wife to not go the n+1 route, but I don't want to get left behind when the stronger riders try to put the hurt down or I get it in my head to chase a KOM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I am curious if this bike with a second set of deeper carbon wheels can be a "quiver killer" for those that also ride some on faster road bikes. Faster group rides around me are 20-23 MPH average and I ride an aero carbon road frame with deeper wheels to keep up. Do you also ride road or can you offer any insight on your impressions on pavement? It would be easier to justify with the wife to not go the n+1 route, but I don't want to get left behind when the stronger riders try to put the hurt down or I get it in my head to chase a KOM.
    I've found it to be incredibly fast on the road running a set of 38c Hutchinson Overides. I suspect you could squeeze even more out of it with a proper road tire or even something like a 28c Gravel King, Roubaix, etc similar tires. Tack on a good road wheel set and I doubt you'll have much want to ride your road bike. It just seems to want to get up and go! Up, down, on the flats, its quick. Snagged a KOM from myself last night by 4 secs on a 1.7 mile segment with some climbing, flat, to descent. Some pretty strong local road riders on that particular segment as well. As i said, the bike is hitting all of my check boxes, fast on the pavement and capable of off road excursions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I plan on using my Advanced 0 with 32mm Continental 5000 tubeless tires for a road fondo which covers over 100 miles, 15.5K of elevation gain. I'm gonna slam the stem too. I'll let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Did a flat/lightly rolling 30 mile road ride on my Revolt 2 and the average speed was 1 mph slower then the last time I did the same route on a Defy Adv SL carbon rim brake road bike with 25c tires. The Revolt is about 4 lbs heavier and had the stock 700x40 tires but I'm in a little better shape.

On the tariff talk, the Revolt is made in Taiwan and so I don't think the tariff affected it at all. Giant just raised their prices because they were too aggressive to begin with and could do it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

A majority of the time its the motor, not the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertwx21 View Post
    new member here... I am waiting to get a Advance 0 but still in backorder.
    I am 5'7... I am in between a Small and a Medium on the charts.
    any inputs?? (prob getting small but want to hear any recommendations)
    any feedback on the bike itself. worth it??

TIA
    Do you have a drop bar bike now you can compare geo on, I am 5'7 as well Medium was right for me. I have longer torso shorter legs. Have to take into account relatively short stem, sweep of bars, seat tube angle, saddle setback etc. Reach in geo seems long but with higher head tube shallow drop bars it feels shorter than than the geo numbers make it out to be. I had chance to test ride a medium so know it was right size. Might have been ok with medium but might have also worried about toe overlap and 40cm bars would have had to go immediately. I thought I might switch to 170mm cranks but stock seems fine sa far as well.

Bike and wait most definetely worth it.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bonedoc98 View Post
    hi all. wanted to ask if anyone has swapped from the original revolt saddle? looking for recommendations on a comfortable, lightweight saddle. leaning towards the brooks c13 but i have not personally tried it yet. wanted to listen to other suggestions if you have any. tia.
    Running a C13 as others are in the thread, fits good and not sure why I haven't used more in the past for gravel (really old CX) bike, it's staying on the bike for sure, I did have to make multiple tweaks to seat angle with it suggest starting with it in a slightly does down postion.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Running a C13 as others are in the thread, fits good and not sure why I haven't used more in the past for gravel (really old CX) bike, it's staying on the bike for sure, I did have to make multiple tweaks to seat angle with it suggest starting with it in a slightly does down postion.
    Thanks! I've had the C17 in the past but not the C13. good to see positive reviews. now if only i could find a bike shop in Toronto that will let me demo it prior to purchasing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone upgrade their Revolt's crank to the Praxis Zayante carbon? If yes, what is your experience with the crank?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does anybody know which derailleur hanger this bike takes? I like to have a spare one in my pack, especially on longer rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Short term review

Now that I have a little seat time after a shake down ride, I figured I would provide my feedback on the Revolt Advanced 2. I am 5'10" and opted for the M/L. All of my opinions are purely subjective and non-scientific, YMMV.

The good:
    • The frame is reasonably stiff and responds well to standing efforts or harder seated efforts, decent climber seated or standing
    • The gray/red colorway is very attractive in person
    • The conduct brake system works fine (see more on this below)
    • This bike really, really shined on a bumpy, pot holed/washer boarded gravel downhill. The geometry/headtube angle/whatever else is confidence inspiring and is a flat out blast to ride. I was riding faster than I probably should have been on a shakedown ride, but the frame was that smooth and the brakes that confidence inspiring
    • The tires rolled better than I expected. I aired them to 40F 45R and while they did make some noise on blacktop, they were not boat anchors either. I still plan to swap to tan wall Gravel King SK's in 38c, more so out of vanity than necessity.

The not-as-good:
    • Despite torquing the seatpost bolt to the recommended 6nM, the seatpost slipped within 2 miles of leaving my driveway. Simple roadside fix, but annoying. I am a bit skeptical of a single bolt seatpost binder in general. I reset my height and gave it a little extra turn. Maybe needs some carbon paste?
    • Mentioned above, the contact braking system works fine. It is however quite an eyesore. I couldn't stop staring at the big ugly beak sticking off the front of my shiny new rig while pedaling. The cable ends also protrude out towards the drops, which is where I like to rest my thumbs when on the drops. Simply put, this system is being replaced immediately with a take off full hydraulic Ultegra I found on eBay. That was evident before I even pedaled off my road.

Overall, in my short experience, I am very excited with this bike. Geometry/spec size, I picked the right size. I have a 115mm stem on order as the stock 110 is a tad tight in the cockpit. The headtube is TALL so the stem is slammed all the way down. The improved compliance/geometry really shine, more so at speed. My previous gravel bike was an aluminum Specialized Crux, which while fast handling/agile, was a bit twitchy at speed, especially on rougher surfaces. This bike is far more refined, without compromising snappiness or responsiveness to hard pedaling. Will this replace my light carbon aero road bike? Probably not. Will this be the bike I reach for on a Saturday morning when I am not looking to steal a KOM or ride with the fast guys? Hell's yeah.

Feel free to ask any questions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have that seat post on my Giant road bike. It hasn't moved since I tightened it down 3 years ago. You may have something funky going on there.

With that said...I never used a torque wrench. Just went by feel. So it's possible I'm tightened beyond the 6nM recommendation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    6Nm should be plenty to hold the post... carbon paste should fix the issue.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyToad View Post
    6Nm should be plenty to hold the post... carbon paste should fix the issue.
    I have a hard time imagining you even need the carbon paste. On mine I tightened to about 5 NM and it's never slipped. Same thing on my TCR, which uses an almost identical clamping mechanism.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yeah. No carbon paste on mine either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Monkey Wrangler
    Giant Revolt Advanced-20190405_181932.jpg

After some hiccups, I finally got the Revolt out on some gravel for a long ride. So far I could not be happier. I spend 90% of my time riding gravel and this is the most comfortable gravel bike I've ever ridden. The frame is supple on the bumps but really climbs in and out of the saddle.

If you ride gravel, this bike is money well spent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I had the same issue with the seatpost this last weekend out on a gravel ride. I assume the giant dealer I bought it from assembled it correctly (about 6 weeks ago). But it started slipping and stripped the paint off post. I was tightening it with a multi tool but didn't want to crack anything. It slipped a few more times and eventually I got it to hold. Next time i go past the dealer i will drop in and ask them to look at it.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Have any of you removed the Praxis Bottom Bracket, and if so, did you use the new park bb punch? (BBT 90.3)?
    And, if so, were you able to remove the bb without damage?
    Thanks in advance!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Laekon View Post
    I got the 2 with a set of take off Ultegra disc shifters and calipers the shop had laying around for a good price. The 105 derailleurs and Praxis crank shift great. As for the wheels you can get a set of alloy Hunts that weight the same or less than the Giant carbons for under $400.
    Are you talking about these?:
    MASON X HUNT 4 SEASON DISC WHEELSET

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Goat View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190405_181932.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	1246383

After some hiccups, I finally got the Revolt out on some gravel for a long ride. So far I could not be happier. I spend 90% of my time riding gravel and this is the most comfortable gravel bike I've ever ridden. The frame is supple on the bumps but really climbs in and out of the saddle.

If you ride gravel, this bike is money well spent.
    Hi,
    What does it look like in Gray? Do you have other photos? +
    I'm 6' (inseam 33"). I can pick up a gray in M for great price. Is it too small for my size?...Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootitalian View Post
    I'm 6' (inseam 33"). I can pick up a gray in M for great price. Is it too small for my size?...Thanks!
    I'm 6'0 riding a M/L and I've got the seatpost AT the maximum extension line. It fits me well, but I literally have no room to adjust it any higher. I wouldn't recommend the M for your height.

Human Test Subject
    Hi,
    at 6' you're probably between M/L and L. I'm 6' .5 and went with a L but I haven't received the bike yet or test ridden anything.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Are you talking about these?:
    MASON X HUNT 4 SEASON DISC WHEELSET

Thanks!
    Or the regular 4 Season Gravel wheels. The Mason wheels are 1mm narrower internally (19mm vs 20mm) and listed as 60g lighter for $30 more.

I'm 5'11" and went with a ML and a 10mm shorter stem. I don't think a MD would fit you right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thanks for the advise on tires and sizes!
    So maybe even an L is fine for 6'?
    As a side: of the three models, what is the consensus on the best value for money one? I'm currently in Europe where the price for the Revolt 0 is insane. So I'm also looking at second hand ones.....
    In fact prices are:
    2= 2250$
    1= 2800$
    0= 4050$
    !!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for the advise on tires and sizes!
    So maybe even an L is fine for 6'?
    As a side: of the three models, what is the consensus on the best value for money one? I'm currently in Europe where the price for the Revolt 0 is insane. So I'm also looking at second hand ones.....
    In fact prices are:
    2= 2250$
    1= 2800$
    0= 4050$
    !!
    Have you looked at the Rose Backroad models?

Monkey Wrangler
    Hi,
    You are going to think I sound stupid, but this bike looks different in person compared to any photograph I have looked at or taken myself. I can't explain in any other way but in person, this bike is a beauty. Some of the commercial photos I have looked at, not so much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You are going to think I sound stupid, but this bike looks different in person compared to any photograph I have looked at or taken myself. I can't explain in any other way but in person, this bike is a beauty. Some of the commercial photos I have looked at, not so much.
    Giant needs to do a better job of marketing like Trek and Specialized. They seem to hire $30/day craigslist photographers to shoot their products.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I agree.
    Here in Europe (France currently), when you look at second hand bikes, Giant ones always seem to sell for a discount compared to, say, Trek. I think, like you, that other major brands do a better marketing job.
    @Speed Goat: "...this bike looks different in person compared to any photograph..." so you reckon the 1 is a good option, right?
    @Tengerineowl: I certainly have looked at the Backroad but......isn't it, let's say, Ugly?
    :-)))
    P.S.: in fact I also looked at the TCX Advanced (which I tried and liked) but....the colours are quite "garish" don't you think?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I agree with this sentiment whole heatedly. The bike looks entirely different in the pictures Giant has in advertising online vs. what owners have posted vs what it looks like in person. The gray they used is such that seems to be different hues depending on the light. In some light it appears more gray, while in others it almost a shade of grayish-blue. It really is a great pairing with the red accents. Giant certainly nailed this colorway. I second that you should see it in person. That being said, I have not yet seen the orange in person, but I am willing to bet it is also pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'm 5'6" and ordered an XS Advanced 0 three weeks ago. It will arrive on Monday. In the meantime I also ordered a Praxis Zayante M30 (48-32) Carbon crank, Panaracer 43mm SK Gravelking, Bontrager Aeolus Pro carbon saddle (155mm), and Bontrager XXX integrated (420mm, 90mm) road bar. My tires and gearing will be gravel oriented while bike geometry more road. I plan on upgrading to Di2 in two months. Really excited!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    Giant needs to do a better job of marketing like Trek and Specialized. They seem to hire $30/day craigslist photographers to shoot their products.
    Then their bikes would cost more.

Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm 5'6" and ordered an XS Advanced 0 three weeks ago. It will arrive on Monday. In the meantime I also ordered a Praxis Zayante M30 (48-32) Carbon crank, Panaracer 43mm SK Gravelking, Bontrager Aeolus Pro carbon saddle (155mm), and Bontrager XXX integrated (420mm, 90mm) road bar. My tires and gearing will be gravel oriented while bike geometry more road. I plan on upgrading to Di2 in two months. Really excited!
    Intresting build, sounds like it will be a rocket.

XS - Curious what drive you to the size, did you get the chance to test ride? I am 5'7 I ended up with medium and believe it was right choice for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Intresting build, sounds like it will be a rocket.

XS - Curious what drive you to the size, did you get the chance to test ride? I am 5'7 I ended up with medium and believe it was right choice for me.
    My buddy who's 5'8" bought an XS TCR team Sunweb bike. Honestly I thought he was crazy. My own bike was a small TCR SL. After riding his XS bike, I sold my frame and swapped it with an XS chameleon color TCR SL. The XS is so much more fun. I love stiff, super agile bikes. I'm more than happy to give up some comfort for speed.
    The red TCR is a 2018 Small, while the Chameleon is a 2019 in XS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Revolt Advanced-tcr.jpg  

Giant Revolt Advanced-img_3418.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

My Revolt Advanced 2 came home today

I just got back from a quick loop to see how everything was. I have to say I love the bike, much better than my 15 year old road bike it replaced. I immediately changed the wheels to some that I had PWB build: The Hydra rims with Hope RS4 Hubs and orange nipples.

Really pleased with how it came out. I do however have a creak that occurs at the 1'o'clock position of the drive side crank. Just have to sort that and all good. While the conduct brakes are ugly, it made a good place for the garmin to hide them.

Big thanks for @woodnmusic for turning me on to this bike.

Giant Revolt Advanced-img_3196.jpg

Giant Revolt Advanced-img_3197.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Got mine out for really the first time. So far stock with a different saddle. Have Ritchey bars and 105 levers and brakes to install. Did some gravel then hit a trail. It was a blast and did way better than I thought it would on the rough stuff as I have been riding mtb for the last two years. Do have some 650 wheels on order - the 700c wheels showed their limitation over the roots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Revolt Advanced-d08b565f-b9a9-405e-8dea-b1e87019736c.jpg  

At Work
    Took this Adv 1 for a 10 mile road test ride. Trying to decide. MTB'er at heart. Tried road biking 10 years ago. Just did not fall in love with it. Had to swing by work and "clock out"!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    I'm waiting for my size L Revolt Advanced 0 to arrive, and meanwhile I'm planning some upgrades like 38t inner ring and maybe also a smaller cassette to match my local roads.

What's your opinion on the Crosscut Gravel 1 tires? I'm thinking of swapping them to something faster like G-one speed 40mm, Strada Bianca TLR 36mm or Barlow Pass 38mm. Are the stock tires even folding and what is their weight?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone interested in buying my Praxis Zayante M30 (48-32) crank/BB from the advanced 0? I upgraded to the carbon version and need to sell this. Itís brand new.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    Took this Adv 1 for a 10 mile road test ride. Trying to decide. MTB'er at heart. Tried road biking 10 years ago. Just did not fall in love with it. Had to swing by work and "clock out"!

So what is your impression of the Advanced 1?

At Work
    So what is your impression of the Advanced 1?
    I liked it alot. Only concern is the 1x. Place where I plan to ride has alot ot hills. Worried that I wont have enough low gearing. Considering upgrading to a 2x setup. Or see about a 38t bit that would hurt road performance some. Bit easy change out.

TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I live in a very hilly area myself
    I thought that the combination of a 40 crankset with a 10-42 cassette would take you anywhere....?
    What about the gray colour with those touches of green? Does it look good?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I thought that the combination of a 40 crankset with a 10-42 cassette would take you anywhere....?
    Isn't a 2x with 48-32, 11-34 roughly the same for climbing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Isn't a 2x with 48-32, 11-34 roughly the same for climbing?
    0.95 vs 0.94, so almost exactly the same.

I went from a 42T chainring to a 38T chainring on my Rival 1 (10-42) and while the change on the low end was awesome (although for some offroad climbs it's still not enough) I noticed that on road rides i'm using the bottom of the cassette most of the time. Not necessarily ideal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    BTW I'm getting my Revolt 0 on Monday and plan on upgrading to Di2 with a few weeks. So I would need the Ultegra 8070 di2 shifters, Ultegra 8050 di2 front derailleur, battery, cables, and junction box. Which Di2 rear derailleur do I need? The XT or Ultegra?

UPDATE: Figured it out. I need an Ultegra 805 clutch rear derailleur.
    Last edited by 288GTO; 5 Days Ago at 11:24 AM.

Human Test Subject
    I'm also curious about the tires and how they roll vs GKs or Resolutes.

Is anyone running a 30mm spindled crankset? I cant decide between an Easton or another Ultegra. The larges come with a 175 and that wont work with my jacked knees so I might as well upgrade.

At Work
    May not have been 1st choice but it looks good.

TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by plussa View Post
    What's your opinion on the Crosscut Gravel 1 tires? I'm thinking of swapping them to something faster like G-one speed 40mm, Strada Bianca TLR 36mm or Barlow Pass 38mm. Are the stock tires even folding and what is their weight?
    So far so good on tires, I am tire junky and dont hesitate to replace them often but cannot finds a reason to yet. I havent taken off and weighed but these are not wire bead version, they are folding. They have a rounder profile, hold tubeless great, haven't noticed any traction issues, sidewalls conform well, I am running 60 psi in rear because I dont like to feel too much sidewall deflection in the rear tire at all on drop bar bikes, I could defeintly run lower though. I have gathered from research they weigh around 450g, so avg for a 40.

If anything I would think about keeping the front for repalcement in rear and get soemthing with flater profile up front with fast roilling center and larger side knobs. I havent had a chance to get bike out to mountains for any screaming downhill on the forest roads (it is trail singletrack season now so might be awhile for that). That will be the real tire test.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    So far so good on tires, I am tire junky and dont hesitate to replace them often but cannot finds a reason to yet. I havent taken off and weighed but these are not wire bead version, they are folding. They have a rounder profile, hold tubeless great, haven't noticed any traction issues, sidewalls conform well, I am running 60 psi in rear because I dont like to feel too much sidewall deflection in the rear tire at all on drop bar bikes, I could defeintly run lower though. I have gathered from research they weigh around 450g, so avg for a 40.

If anything I would think about keeping the front for repalcement in rear and get soemthing with flater profile up front with fast roilling center and larger side knobs. I havent had a chance to get bike out to mountains for any screaming downhill on the forest roads (it is trail singletrack season now so might be awhile for that). That will be the real tire test.
    New to gravel bikes, I have been riding mtb a lot for the last two years. I was very surprised on how well the OEM tires gripped in the dirt - even out of the seat climbing. I had mine around 40 psi.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    @sxr-racer"...May not have been 1st choice...... " What do you mean by that...?
    Also concerning which size to choose:
    I just tried a tcx advanced in M (I'm 6' (183cm) and inseam 33" (84cm).
    The tcx in M was (surprisingly) perfect for my size! What does that tell me about which size to choose for a Revolt??

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hello everyone,

I just ordered my Revolt 2 in that gorgeous orange, I will pick it up in a couple of weeks, can't wait!

I asked the guy at my LBS what he would upgrade if he could change just one thing. Surprisingly he did not mention the hybrid mech-hydro braking system (which in his opinion works fine) but rather the wheels. In fact the stock ones are quite heavy, weighing in at over 2 kgs. He suggested either the DT Swiss CR 1600 Spline 23 (1728 g) or the ER 1600 Spline 23 (a tad lighter at 1638 g). The latter in his opinion are more "race-oriented". Any thoughts?

Any input is much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantBMCSpecialized View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just ordered my Revolt 2 in that gorgeous orange, I will pick it up in a couple of weeks, can't wait!

I asked the guy at my LBS what he would upgrade if he could change just one thing. Surprisingly he did not mention the hybrid mech-hydro braking system (which in his opinion works fine) but rather the wheels. In fact the stock ones are quite heavy, weighing in at over 2 kgs. He suggested either the DT Swiss CR 1600 Spline 23 (1728 g) or the ER 1600 Spline 23 (a tad lighter at 1638 g). The latter in his opinion are more "race-oriented". Any thoughts?

Check out Hunt wheels, they have some nice choices. On a related note, does anyone know what the weight of the stock aluminum wheels is?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Just found on the weight weenie forum that the p-X2 wheels come in around 2350g. Another site has them at 2562g with rotors. Taking the lower estimate, the carbon Hunts at 1479g take almost 2.25 lbs off of the bike. Holy cow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantBMCSpecialized View Post
    Hello everyone,

How much would the wheel upgrade cost you as opposed to buying the Revolt 0 with carbon wheels and nicer components?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Just found on the weight weenie forum that the p-X2 wheels come in around 2350g. Another site has them at 2562g with rotors. Taking the lower estimate, the carbon Hunts at 1479g take almost 2.25 lbs off of the bike. Holy cow.
    Remember to take off the weight of the rotors but.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    How much would the wheel upgrade cost you as opposed to buying the Revolt 0 with carbon wheels and nicer components?
    The two wheelsets retail for the same price (Ä 578) on the DT website. Going for the Revolt 0 is not an option anymore (and never was, I just fell in love with that orange as soon as I saw it).

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    If I remember correctly on the Giant website the weight of the PX-2 wheelset is 2035 grams (no rotors)

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Still, if you think about it, at an official weight of 9.66kg (the 2), 9.2kg (1), 8.5kg (0), it would make quite a difference...
    +
    Anyone could advise me on which size I should choose...?

mtbr member
    Iím 184cm with long inseam (80cm saddle height), and chose size L. Iím going to change the stock 100mm stem to 110mm so the fit will be closer to my road bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Iím 184cm with long inseam (80cm saddle height), and chose size L. Iím going to change the stock 100mm stem to 110mm so the fit will be closer to my road bikes.
    hhmm, thanks. I'm 1cm shorter than you and the tcx I tried in M fitted me perfectly...When you say inseam you mean this? (if yes, in my case it's 84cm..):
    Name:  inseam.png
Views: 200
Size:  2.9 KB

mtbr member
    My inseam is 92cm, so long legs and also long arms

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    My inseam is 92cm, so long legs and also long arms
    Aha, right..thanks! So I guess Revolt in M or M/L would be more than adequate, right?

mtbr member
    ^ If you take a look at Revolt sizing guide, you can see that M is too small for your height. So itís either ML or L for you. Remember that thereís also some backsweep in the bars that makes the effective reach shorter in all sizes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Cool thanks.
    I did check but the fact that the tcx in M suited me was quite puzzling....

mtbr member
    The TCX has a lot longer seat tube for size M than Revolt. And you can get used to a too small bike.

At Work
    @sxr-racer"...May not have been 1st choice...... " What do you mean by that...?
    Also concerning which size to choose:
    I just tried a tcx advanced in M (I'm 6' (183cm) and inseam 33" (84cm).
    The tcx in M was (surprisingly) perfect for my size! What does that tell me about which size to choose for a Revolt??
    Meaning, if I had a better color combo I might would choose it over this one.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone upgraded to a Praxis Zayante with 4iiii left side power meter pre installed? Considering the cost to post in your crank arm and have them install it is $400usd, $500usd for the whole crank doesn't seem too bad.

There are some good pedal based power meter options, but I don't want to move away from Shimano SPD to Look Keo road pedals on my gravel bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My new Revolt 0 in XS. The Praxis crank will be replaced with an Ultegra 8000 crank with Absolute Black 48-32 oval chainring. Cockpit will be Bontrager XXX integrated handlebar (220 grams), Bontrager Aelous Pro saddle, and 43mm Panaracer SK Gravelking tires. Bike is 19-lbs stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Revolt Advanced-revolt.jpg  

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    If Iím not mistaken, a 32 will not fit on a shimano 8000 crank (unless AB has something up there sleeve?)

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    If Iím not mistaken, a 32 will not fit on a shimano 8000 crank (unless AB has something up there sleeve?)
    I got confirmation from Absolute Black that it will work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I thought the same but apparently they have an offset solution to allow both a 32 and even a 30 - https://bikerumor.com/2018/01/09/cli...ct-chainrings/

Interesting to see how 288GTO goes once it is all installed.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Thatís cool!
    I will be ordering these.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

At Work
    Anyone found a 38t chaining for the 1x crank on the Revolt 1?

TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Anyone found a 38t chaining for the 1x crank on the Revolt 1?
    I've only seen a 40T and there were a few forum posts here about people having trouble finding a 38T. Apex 1 uses a weird asymetric 4 bolt pattern that's not the same as Shimano, as far as I know it's exclusive to Apex 1.

Even Wolftooth only goes down to 40T for some strange reason:

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...or-sram-cranks

That's the beauty of Rival and Force, boatload of options because it uses direct mount.

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyBoni View Post
    I've only seen a 40T and there were a few forum posts here about people having trouble finding a 38T. Apex 1 uses a weird asymetric 4 bolt pattern that's not the same as Shimano, as far as I know it's exclusive to Apex 1.

Even Wolftooth only goes down to 40T for some strange reason:

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...or-sram-cranks

That's the beauty of Rival and Force, boatload of options because it uses direct mount.
    figure I can always just change cranks if need be. I even wondered about adding a 2x up front, keep the rear the same but need to research that.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    figure I can always just change cranks if need be. I even wondered about adding a 2x up front, keep the rear the same but need to research that.
    Sadly these SRAM rear derailleurs are 1x specific. They don't have the capacity and they won't work properly with two rings because of the heavily offset upper pulley. I don't know about an 11spd SRAM rear derailleur that would work with an 11-42/10-42 + a double up front.

At Work
    Well, Did a thing.

TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123