Giant Revolt Advanced - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg252b View Post
    I'd be leery running 45s. Check out this thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/gravel-bikes...b-1099289.html
    Saw that, I'm curious what those 45's actually measure. Picked up my Revolt last night and there is a ton of clearance with the stock 40's on there.

Good to know Giant is taking care of him. I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service, and combined with a great LBS, I feel like I'm in good hands (especially after Performance going under two months after I bought my Fuji lol).

Can't wait to take her out for a spin today! Only got to take her around the parking lot since it was late and we had just finished the shop group ride. I'll get some better pictures of her in her natural environment.

Giant Revolt Advanced-revolt.jpg

mtbr member
    Here is the new bike. I changed the stem from the 80mm it comes with to a 100mm I had on hand. I want to get one with less rise and a bar with a flat top. The shop called Giant tech support for me and asked about the BB and if it will work with a standard compact GXP crank. They say it wonít work with GXP or Simano. But the praxis website lists the 24mm bb for GXP. So who knows. I will have to try the crank I have and see if it fits.

Giant Revolt Advanced-647af2f0-f31b-4d8b-97ac-dc8033300d20.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Here is the new bike. I changed the stem from the 80mm it comes with to a 100mm I had on hand. I want to get one with less rise and a bar with a flat top. The shop called Giant tech support for me and asked about the BB and if it will work with a standard compact GXP crank. They say it wonít work with GXP or Simano. But the praxis website lists the 24mm bb for GXP. So who knows. I will have to try the crank I have and see if it fits.
    The GXP, I believe, is 24mm on one end and 22mm on the other.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wow that is a good looking machine! I feel like Giant goes out of their way to make the pics on their website look terrible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	647AF2F0-F31B-4D8B-97AC-DC8033300D20.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	1255951

Human Test Subject
    The BB has dust caps that say 24 and 22. I don't have another GXP crankset to try but that sure sounds GXP.

I sold my cranks to some dude and told him GXP and he never called back demanding his money back.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    The BB has dust caps that say 24 and 22. I don't have another GXP crankset to try but that sure sounds GXP.

I sold my cranks to some dude and told him GXP and he never called back demanding his money back.
    Thatís kind of what I figured looking at the Praxis website. I just thought it was strange when the guy from Giant said it wouldnít work.

One other question are you guys finding the tires lose most of there air over night? I put 70psi in the and went for a ride pulled it out to ride today and they had 20psi. No sealant leaking any ware and they kept 70psi on my ride today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Hi, Me with my girlfriend want to buy a giant revolt . We will ride on it together. She has 5ft 3in (160 cm) and I have 5ft 2,3in (158). Which size should I pick up? XS or S?
    Sorry for my english

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I was going to go Tubus racks. But then thought hang on, if Giant do their own specific ones surely they will have made some design decision on the weight bearing etc, so therefore be more likely to work better. So I have the Giant ones front a rear. They are fairly light, welds look good. And the black is the same 😎. The rear went on really easy - just had to remove and flip the centre p clip that goes onto bridge. Used my own stainless well greased Allen bolts. The front disk side presented a challenge. If naked against frame it caught the QR lever. So I have mounted it out with a black alloy brake washer about 3mm thick. Worked. At the very end of the righting turns though it still catches. So in time I might grind the thumb/widened (non structural) thickness of the QR lever. But itís OK for now. I felt a bit stupid offering the new front rack to the fork, the holes didnít align, thought theyíd supplied the wrong ones. But realised you need to stretch the overall rack right angle a bit to get them to the right size. Have mounted front as far back behind front hub as possible, and riding it - can barely feel it, in fact more stable. Rear rack does not catch heels either. Plus leaves good platform for tent, and roll if needed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Did my first gravel ride yesterday, 31 miles, and it was fantastic. Bike is smooth, comfortable and stable. Stock tires did great through gravel, mud, wet sand and slippery single track. 20mph on gravel and perfectly comfortable, love it!!

Today I did a 41 mile road ride, on a second wheelset with 28mm GP5Ks. More comfortable than my road bike, and barely gave up any speed, only in a couple of sections where I spin out with the smaller big ring.

I am absolutely sold on disc brakes, they are fantastic. They inspire confidence, I can go into curves faster, brake later and harder and still feel like I have more control. My next road bike will definitely have discs.

mtbr member
    So I think the only problem I have found with my 2 is that the chain stay protector is not long enough. When your in the smallest cog in the cassette and in the big ring bouncing down hill on gravel the chain can hit the stay behind the protector. I fixed it with some heavy 3M black tape. I have used this stuff for years to make chain stay protectors on my mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Never mind with the problem I was having I figured it out.

mtbr member
    The Praxis BB on my Revolt started making noise after 1000 kmís.

Iím thinking of replacing it with Wheels Mfg threaded BB and with Ultegra cranks, but will the the Wheels Mfg BB fit into the BB shell, because the gear and brake cables are there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by plussa View Post
    The Praxis BB on my Revolt started making noise after 1000 kmís.

Iím thinking of replacing it with Wheels Mfg threaded BB and with Ultegra cranks, but will the the Wheels Mfg BB fit into the BB shell, because the gear and brake cables are there?
    I can't say for sure on the Revolt, but I had the pressfit bb on my Fuji swapped for a Wheels Mfg threaded bb and there were no issues with the internal cable routing.

I haven't had any problems yet with the Revolt, but I'll go the same route if/when it happens. Prob switch to a GRX crank while I'm at it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Got her dirty on Sat with a proper gravel ride, 73 miles, it was fantastic. Didn't get any pictures of the gravel, because I was just trying to keep up, there were some seriously fast guys that were hammering it. Bike did great!! I just need more time on the gravel to get comfortable with going fast on the loose stuff and work on my handling skills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Revolt Advanced-boydsride2.jpg  

Last edited by rides4beer; 6 Days Ago at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	647AF2F0-F31B-4D8B-97AC-DC8033300D20.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	1255951
    How much does it weigh? I'm thinking about the same one.
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jn24uk View Post
    My M/L was 21.8lbs with the r7020 shifters/brakes (which is what comes on the 2020 model), and XT Trail pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rides4beer View Post
    My M/L was 21.8lbs with the r7020 shifters/brakes (which is what comes on the 2020 model), and XT Trail pedals.
    Thanks, how do you like it? It's a sharp looking bike, is it gloss or matte?
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    I donít know I never weighed it. I kind of donít care. Iím guessing itís liter then the m/l. Itís a small and I had the tires changed out with 32c Maxxis Refuse and itís got egg beaters for peddles.
    And itís gloss on the white parts and matte finish on the black parts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Sorry about asking this again.
    About which Revolt size to choose...
    I'm puzzled because on the Giant size chart they give the L size (for Revolt AND Tcx) for riders 185 to 195cm (6'1" - 6'5").
    I'm 183cm (6" I guess) and tried the Tcx in M and was perfect!!
    Unfortunately where I live I have to order the Revolt without having the possibility of trying it....
    Should I go for M/L? For L? What to do? (My inseam is about 84cm (33"?).

Thanks for any feedback!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Looking for some suggestions, have 2019 Revolt Advanced 0, wanted to get a second wheel set for the days I get on the road, ideas?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Iím ordering road wheels for mine as well this week from;

https://wovenprecision.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks, how do you like it? It's a sharp looking bike, is it gloss or matte?
    The bike is fantastic. Have about 450 miles on it and it's great on the road and off. With the second wheelset, I haven't touched my road bike since I bought the Revolt. lol The pictures on Giant's site make it look matte, but it's gloss metallic, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootitalian View Post
    I'm puzzled because on the Giant size chart they give the L size (for Revolt AND Tcx) for riders 185 to 195cm (6'1" - 6'5").
    Unfortunately where I live I have to order the Revolt without having the possibility of trying it....

Thanks for any feedback!
    I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and the M/L fits me perfectly. My road bike is a 56.

Quote Originally Posted by MTBKNG View Post
    Looking for some suggestions, have 2019 Revolt Advanced 0, wanted to get a second wheel set for the days I get on the road, ideas?

Thanks
    I'm running a set of DT Swiss ER 1600s with 28mm GP5Ks for the road. With the 20mm internal width the tires measure out to about 30mm, very comfortable and handle great. Eventually I'll probably get some carbons for the road and use the DTs for a second gravel set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DCoz View Post
    Just remember to swap to hydraulic on a Adv 2 means only the levers and a bit of tubing. No need to change the actual calipers. Some shops might be quoting a full changeover. Easy DIY project.
    DCoz, can you explain this further? Are the brake calipers 105 or Giant branded?
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    Just ordered the Revolt Advanced 0 for $2950 out the door. Was told late April, early May. I'm already thinking upgrading the crank and bar to carbon. What do you guys recommend? I'm also looking to upgrade the hubs to Industry 9. What do you think? I test rode the Ibis Hakka MX, Checkpoint SL6, and liked the Giant the best of the three. It didn't hurt the Giant cost less too.
    How are you guys getting these deals with Giant. Every giant dealer I talk to won't budge on price. Is there a secret code or something?
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm 6'0 with a ~32" inseam and the M/L fits me pretty well. I have the seatpost right at the maximum extension line though, so if I were any taller it wouldn't have worked for me. My road bike is a giant TCR and it's a M/L too (why I went for the M/L on the revolt).

mtbr member
    Whatís the verdict on going 650b? Tire clearance and handling changes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Whatís the verdict on going 650d? Tire clearance and handling changes?
    Iím curious, too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    DCoz, can you explain this further? Are the brake calipers 105 or Giant branded?
    They're Giant branded, but I'm guessing they would work with 105 calipers? Don't know for sure. My LBS had a takeoff set of 105 levers/calipers, so they swapped both for me.

I'm curious as well, but even more so, I'm curious where to find 650b wheels with 12mm front TAs, all the ones I can find are 15mm. Do people just use adapters?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Not specific to the Revolt but I started a thread in other forums asking 650b or 700c .... generally the response seemed to be ..... unless you're really doing a lot of bumpy single track there's very little advantage of 650b and if you are doing lots of riding in those conditions you're probably better off on a 29er anyway.

A few people said they'd tried 650b and wouldn't bother again and that wider 700's offered pretty much everything that 650b did anyway.

I didn't bother in the end but interested to see if others have a different experience.

mtbr member
    Iím trying to decide if I want a second set of wheels set up with more off road tires. The 32c refuse tires I have on the stock wheels make the bike feel like a normal road bike. And the gravel that I have ridden with them it did well on. But some of it had larger rocks and the tires felt a bit small. Iím wondering what it would be like with a 650b wheel and tire when I want to do more of that stuff. Or should I just put a 40c tire on the stock wheels and ride it everywhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Frame bag

I use the Revelate Tangle Frame bag in M

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...TangleFrameBag

I have found it to be one of the best additions that I've made to my bike.
    I commute daily on my bike and it has become the place where I keep most everything I might need on a ride.
    Giant Revolt Advanced-img_20190625_161110.jpgGiant Revolt Advanced-img_20190625_161116.jpg
    There's just enough room for a full-sized water bottle, I use a side-entry cage to make it easier.
    Giant Revolt Advanced-img_20190625_161122.jpg

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootitalian View Post

Thanks for any feedback!
    I have a 31" inseam and ride a M/L. Believe upper torso and reach also comes into play as well. I am 5'11"
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Took the Carbon one for a spin today - Over $4k - absolutely beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Iím trying to decide if I want a second set of wheels set up with more off road tires. The 32c refuse tires I have on the stock wheels make the bike feel like a normal road bike. And the gravel that I have ridden with them it did well on. But some of it had larger rocks and the tires felt a bit small. Iím wondering what it would be like with a 650b wheel and tire when I want to do more of that stuff. Or should I just put a 40c tire on the stock wheels and ride it everywhere.

I'm finding that I actually enjoy riding on the stock 40s more than my road tires. It's nice to just ride around and not have to worry about...well pretty much anything. lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Took the Carbon one for a spin today - Over $4k - absolutely beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    They're all carbon, in fact, they're all the same exact frame, which is nice. But I'm guessing you meant the 0 with the carbon wheels?

Human Test Subject
    I'm in between sizes like a lot of people here. One reason I got a L instead of an ML was to get a L tangle instead of another M. The M is a perfect fit, again.

I'm 6' .5" and it fits perfectly. The stem is currently slammed but I intend to raise it back up as the last 60 mile ride left my hands pretty unhappy.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Monkey Wrangler
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilspawn View Post
    I use the Revelate Tangle Frame bag in M

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...TangleFrameBag

I have found it to be one of the best additions that I've made to my bike.
    I commute daily on my bike and it has become the place where I keep most everything I might need on a ride.

There's just enough room for a full-sized water bottle, I use a side-entry cage to make it easier.
    That looks pretty solid, do you think it would fit in a small frame and still have bottle clearance?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    A few comments about questions from various posts above....

On 650b axles: Yes, Iím running a front 15mm TA mountain bike wheel set and just use a 12mm adapter. Works fine and donít realize itís there.

On 650b wheels/tires: Iím running ~2Ē tires on my 650b wheels, and I like them on chunky gravel to run very low pressures. They also make the bike fun to ride on the occasional tame single track for something different. Could you use a 29er MTB on these surfaces? - sure, whatever floats your boat.

On my 700c wheelset Iím running Specialized Pathfinders which I REALLY love for dirt roads and paved paths/roads. They have been a fantastic tire, but I appreciate the higher volume and lower pressures for 650b tires on certain surfaces.

On framebags: Iíve settled on the Topeak Midloader in Medium. It fills the upper part of the triangle well. Iíve had to get a set of side load bottle cages that I can slam to the bottom of the triangle to maximize the remaining space for 2 bottles. Pic below.

Overall impressions: Iíve got a bunch of miles on my Revolt and am currently on a weeklong tour across Michigan. The bike has been fantastic. Iíve even convinced myself that upgrading to a Di2 groupset is unnecessary as the mechanical Ultegra has been flawless with super crisp shifts. I recently sold my bling carbon Di2 Defy and havenít missed it one bit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123