• 08-10-2018
    combfilter
    4 Attachment(s)
    FYI: Canyon Endurace can fit 700x35's on 20mm wide rims
    So on Canyon's site they "officially" support that the endurace can fit 700x30's. If you actually email them and ask they say that it will actually fit 700x32's. I had some 700x32's on there last week with plenty of room, so I googled looking to see if anyone was running 700x35's on the endurace. I couldn't find any matches so I bit the bullet and bought some 700x35 gravel king sb. The endurace fits these no problems at all. I actually think I could "maybe" fit 38's. However 35's are plenty good for the gravel here in TX. This is on 20mm inner diameter rims (stans iron crest).

    I am loving this bike as I use it for my road bike and wanted to also carry my road fit and feel to the gravel. This bike does it all. It's fine in crits, road races, and gravel. I am seriously tempted to even give it a spin in some cross races this fall :)

    Attachment 1211700Attachment 1211701Attachment 1211702Attachment 1211703
  • 08-10-2018
    jcd46
    Nice of you to post that, now she needs to be in the gravel pic thread..[emoji16][emoji16]

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
  • 08-10-2018
    HollyBoni
    Mud clearance? Toe overlap? :D

    FYI the 38s measure 40mm on 20mm ID rims. (And on the side of the tyre they're labeled 700x38c 622-40)
  • 08-13-2018
    mcalista
    Thanks for posting. This is a question that has been on my mind, as I am definitely considering purchasing an Endurace as something that can handle moderate gravel, but the effective maximum tire width is something that has been bothering me.

    The rear clearance towards the seattube looks OK in your photo, but the lateral clearances at the chainstays look pretty tight with the 35s - it wouldn't take much mud to build up there. Perhaps wider gravel tires on some 650B wheels might take advantage of the greater chainstay width as you move away from the seattube.
  • 08-13-2018
    combfilter
    So yeah mud clearance is not an issue for me as I live in TX and typically we don't ride in the mud. Not because we are like gremlins and don't like water, but because lots of our gravel roads are clay. Clay and water = No riding even if you had 100mm of clearance. Also, the areas that are not clay, the mud shedding is really not something I'd worry about. It has enough to clear, and I have a lot more room than I thought I would have. I seriously think I could fit 38's on there. If I did, yes there would be 0 room for anything and it would probably rub the moment I got on the power or any torque. However these 35's on 20mm ID rims are money. I am pretty pumped as the dirt/gravel/Levee's i'll ride will be just fine on these 35's. I was previously riding gravel races with 32's on my CX bike so I will have an even better ride on this bike with 35s.

    I know it's not a gravel bike, but that's kind of the point of this post. It totally can be and what I am the most pumped about is being able to keep my exact road position for gravel as I have setup for road. Truly one bike to do it all.

    There is plenty of lateral clearance btw.. It's hard to tell from the pics because of the angle of the photo with the phone. I can't squeeze the phone that close to the seat tube.
  • 03-06-2019
    Butbka
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by combfilter View Post
    So yeah mud clearance is not an issue for me as I live in TX and typically we don't ride in the mud. Not because we are like gremlins and don't like water, but because lots of our gravel roads are clay. Clay and water = No riding even if you had 100mm of clearance. Also, the areas that are not clay, the mud shedding is really not something I'd worry about. It has enough to clear, and I have a lot more room than I thought I would have. I seriously think I could fit 38's on there. If I did, yes there would be 0 room for anything and it would probably rub the moment I got on the power or any torque. However these 35's on 20mm ID rims are money. I am pretty pumped as the dirt/gravel/Levee's i'll ride will be just fine on these 35's. I was previously riding gravel races with 32's on my CX bike so I will have an even better ride on this bike with 35s.

    I know it's not a gravel bike, but that's kind of the point of this post. It totally can be and what I am the most pumped about is being able to keep my exact road position for gravel as I have setup for road. Truly one bike to do it all.

    There is plenty of lateral clearance btw.. It's hard to tell from the pics because of the angle of the photo with the phone. I can't squeeze the phone that close to the seat tube.

    Sorry to bring it up from waaay back, but if someone still interested in the topic - 38 doesn't clear on the back (i9 AR25 21.5 internal). Front might work, I just don't have 12 mm TA adapters for wheels at the moment.
  • 04-11-2019
    pafori
    Does anyone have caliper measurements on the 35s or 38s once mounted?

    I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SL w/Zipp 303s FC Tubeless Disc and want to try some gravel tires. Looking to go as big as possible. My road tires, Schwalbe Pro One 25s measure 30 on my Zipps!

    So, trying to figure out how big I can go with gravel tires (leaning toward Panaracer Gravelking or Rene Herse Snoqualmie, which are both slicks - I live in SoCal with dry conditions). Thanks for any input! :)
  • 04-11-2019
    HollyBoni
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pafori View Post
    Does anyone have caliper measurements on the 35s or 38s once mounted?

    If you're asking about the GK SK 38s they measure 40mm on 20mm inner width rims, and yes I measured that with a caliper.
    I've heard the 35s measure a bit wider but if you do a search you can find tons of forum posts, reviews etc.
  • 04-14-2019
    solarplex
    I would be careful. I had a last gen diverge that specialized claimed fit 35s and i had xplor ush on it. Seemed find till i sprinted and the tire ate away at the chain stay. I would go for a rip and see if you can get it to rub... i would personally go to a 32mm GK. Thats what i did on my diverge. Didnt notice any float loss.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-17-2019
    pafori
    Thanks for the feedback on max-size tubeless gravel tire widths for my Canyon Ultimate!

    I just ordered the Vittoria Terreno Dry G2.0, 33 width. Seemed like the best guess solution for dry hard packed gravel roads here in SoCal. Ultimately, determining actual tire width on various rims is trial and error.

    This Google Doc was somewhat helpful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...YSk/edit#gid=0

    Vittorias cost $43/each on Tax Day sale at BikeTiresDirect, so less $$$ ventured than many of the alternatives.

    My current road tires, Schwalbe Pro One's measure 30 on my Zipp 303 FC Tubeless Disc rims, even though the Schwalbes are only 25s. Given this, I didn't think either the Schwalbe G Ones (my first choice) or Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass TC (second choice), both sized 35, would fit my Canyon without rubbing.

    I've used Vittoria G+ Corsa and G+ Corsa Speed on various bikes, have loved them, and the reviews on the Terreno Drys are favorable.

    When I get the Vittoria Terreno Drys mounted, I'll take photos of my Canyon and post.

    Cheers
  • 04-20-2019
    pafori
    3 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pafori View Post
    Thanks for the feedback on max-size tubeless gravel tire widths for my Canyon Ultimate!

    I just ordered the Vittoria Terreno Dry G2.0, 33 width. Seemed like the best guess solution for dry hard packed gravel roads here in SoCal. Ultimately, determining actual tire width on various rims is trial and error.

    This Google Doc was somewhat helpful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...YSk/edit#gid=0

    Vittorias cost $43/each on Tax Day sale at BikeTiresDirect, so less $$$ ventured than many of the alternatives.

    My current road tires, Schwalbe Pro One's measure 30 on my Zipp 303 FC Tubeless Disc rims, even though the Schwalbes are only 25s. Given this, I didn't think either the Schwalbe G Ones (my first choice) or Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass TC (second choice), both sized 35, would fit my Canyon without rubbing.

    I've used Vittoria G+ Corsa and G+ Corsa Speed on various bikes, have loved them, and the reviews on the Terreno Drys are favorable.

    When I get the Vittoria Terreno Drys mounted, I'll take photos of my Canyon and post.

    Cheers

    So I mounted the Vittoria Terreno Dry 33s on the stock wheels that came with the Ultimate, a pair of DT Swiss PR 1600s. They measure up at 35.5 @ 47 psi and have just enough room. If I had gone with the Schwalbe G Ones or Rene Herse, sized 35, I think there would be frame rub.
  • 04-21-2019
    6foot4
    How does the canyon endurance ride/feel? I'm considering one.
  • 04-22-2019
    pafori
    I have the Canyon CF SL disc, which is similar to the Endurace. The Endurace geometry is a little more relaxed with shorter reach and higher stack.

    My Ultimate is a flawless bike, climbs well, descends confidently, corners beautifully. Ride quality is very good, you feel the road but not jarring. I did a 93 mile, 11,500 ft ride yesterday and felt comfortable even at day's end.

    Love tubeless, low psi, superplush, grippy, low rolling resistance. Running tires that measure 30+. And in case you're wondering about speed, they are fast.

    I've had professional fittings before buying the Canyon, so knew the geometry was spot on for me. I swapped out the seat, fizik saddles are torture devices, and Specialized Romin Evos come in 168 width, which is perfect for my sit bones.

    I think there's very little to justify the CF SLX over the CF SL. Something like .5 kg, and many of the paired CF SLX wheelsets were heavier than those offered on the CF SLs. I bought the Ultegra version Ultimate CF SL disc ($2700 USD) and used my savings to buy Zipp 303 FCs, which are flat out fast.

    Hope this is helpful. Bikes are comfortable first and foremost because they fit.
  • 04-22-2019
    combfilter
    Thread Title is about the Canyon Endurace, not Ultimate.

    pafori comes in and gives tons of non related information about his Canyon Ultimate, not the ENDURACE. He/she tells us all about what parts are on their bike, saddles, fit, what the bike does, types of rides he/she has done, and all sorts of information....About a bike that has nothing to do with the Thread other than it's made by the same company. He/She is obviously excited about their Canyon Ultimate and wants to share this excitement which others. Which is cool, but it's off topic for this thread which is about the Endurace Tire Clearance..

    His/her excitement continues in the thread to the point that he/she even quotes themselves and responds to their own post since nobody seems to be as excited about pafori's Ultimate as much as he/she is.

    New poster ask a question about the ENDURACE. Once again, pafori chimes in off topic answering the question with information about his/her Ultimate.

    Going out on a Limb here Pafori, but perhaps you should create a different thread regarding the Tire Clearance of the ultimate? The internet might find it useful and you probably could get some good internet banter going on back and forth about your bike. It will save me from having to answer direct messages about the Endurace one at a time instead of this thread, as people are now confused which bike we are talking about.

    Not trying to sound like a jerk. I really am not. Just getting sick of answering direct messages because your are talking about 35's rubbing and you are not even talking about the same bike confusing people.
  • 05-20-2019
    pafori
    After 4 weeks, no one else has responded to 6foot4 regarding his question of how the Endurace rides/feels.

    The Ultimate is very similar to the Endurace, as I mentioned before. My version of the Ultimate and the corresponding Endurace, for example, share the exact same fork. One could reasonably say that the Endurace is an Ultimate with a more relaxed geometry.

    I was trying to be helpful to 6foot4 by providing details on my experience. As someone who has put 6K miles on my Ultimate in the past year, I have, as they say, put it through the ringer. In light of no one else responding, it seems my comments were more helpful than no response at all.

    I found it very difficult to find any information about tire clearance on either the Endurace or Ultimate. And I researched it deeply. Feel free to enlighten me with a more targeted, specific thread. But perhaps I'm wrong in viewing your response as unnecessarily critical.
  • 06-05-2019
    mykle
    Can confirm that 35mm works fine. About 5mm clearance all the way around with the i20 mm rims. Had to try to put on some heavy duty 750g commuter tires to stop punctures from glass etc.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  • 06-08-2019
    VERT1
    33mm Specialized Terra on a Endurace AL, plenty of room for mud clearance

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  • 06-19-2019
    user001
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    33mm Specialized Terra on a Endurace AL, plenty of room for mud clearance

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

    Would you be able to post a picture of the rear as well?
  • 07-03-2019
    mykle
    Has anyone tried anything bigger? I live in a city with poor quality pavement, potholes etc. The 35mm has good clearance, and I was looking at the specialized sawtooth 42C which looks perfect[emoji848]

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  • 07-03-2019
    ljsmith
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mykle View Post
    Has anyone tried anything bigger? I live in a city with poor quality pavement, potholes etc. The 35mm has good clearance, and I was looking at the specialized sawtooth 42C which looks perfect[emoji848]

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

    There’s no way a 42 will fit. It would probably rub the seat tube.
  • 07-05-2019
    mykle
    Seat tube? Thats the last thing it will hit. It will hit in the junction between the chainstays, as my origininal pictures show. It seems to be more than 5mm space there.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  • 07-05-2019
    combfilter
    42 will not fit on the endurace for sure.. I had 38's that were basically barely rubbing.. Not much, like you could run 38's if you are light, but it's just too close. 35's are about your realistic limit. 42's no way at all.

    hope that helps.
  • 01-28-2020
    graveltime
    4 Attachment(s)
    I want to add my experience with the ALUMINIUM version of the Endurace to this excellent thread. The clearances seem to be very similar to the carbon frame.
    On my 2018 Endurace AL, with the stock 20mm internal width DT Swiss E 1800 Spline, I've run the 35mm Jon Bon Pass tires from Rene Herse:

    Attachment 1308231
    Attachment 1308233

    And 38mm Schwalbe G-One Speed TLE
    Attachment 1308235
    Attachment 1308237

    I think I could push it to 40mm if I were feeling lucky, anything above that seems unrealistic.
  • 03-04-2020
    tgarson
    Somewhat OT from tire clearance, but anyone know what Canyon’s refresh cycle is? The Endurace design looks virtually unchanged since its debut in 2016 which seems pretty long in the tooth.
  • 03-16-2020
    amish_matt
    1 Attachment(s)
    And the Ultimate needs some aero optimization.

    But on topic, here's my Endurace with 32mm Specialized Roubaixs on Light Bicycle WR35 rims, with an 25mm internal width. Tires measured 35mm after mounting. Plenty of clearance front and rear.

    Attachment 1317639
  • 04-28-2020
    Panerai
    I am trying to understand if with some R8000 Ultegra rim brakes I can fit some g1800 (25 rim) with some GK 32mm, would that work? I read both article on "Hands on Bike" blog, and I am slightly confused if it would on the R800 ultegra brakes. It seems to be compatible for up to 28mm rim so the g1800 25 rim would fit nicely and I would have no problems to fit the g1800 + GK 32mm? Am I correct?

    Thanks, I have an Endurace CF 8.0 to make it clear.
  • 04-28-2020
    ljsmith
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Panerai View Post
    I am trying to understand if with some R8000 Ultegra rim brakes I can fit some g1800 (25 rim) with some GK 32mm, would that work? I read both article on "Hands on Bike" blog, and I am slightly confused if it would on the R800 ultegra brakes. It seems to be compatible for up to 28mm rim so the g1800 25 rim would fit nicely and I would have no problems to fit the g1800 + GK 32mm? Am I correct?

    Thanks, I have an Endurace CF 8.0 to make it clear.

    Your frame may clear those tires, but I seriously doubt a 32 will clear the Ultegra caliper. If you got some long reach brakes it might work depending on the design.
  • 04-29-2020
    kyttyra
    1 Attachment(s)
    Schwalbe Marathon Winter fits also fine. On 20 mm (internal) rim it measured ≈36 mm and there was room to spare.

    Attachment 1328543

    Why? Because things like winter or icy roads should not be a reason to hang one's plastic-fantastic road bike on the wall ;)
  • 04-29-2020
    Panerai
    You are on 28" right ?

    Thanks for the share though
  • 04-29-2020
    kyttyra
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Panerai View Post
    You are on 28" right ?

    Thanks for the share though

    Ah, I forgot to mention: 700x35 MW.

    Funny thing: in the carbon framesets there seems to be a gap between head tube and fork, whereas in the aluminum version in this thread there is not such a gap. I've been ridden mine over two years and had not noticed the gap before. Or are my old eyes deceiving me :confused:
  • 05-10-2020
    Bikerholland
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by graveltime View Post
    I want to add my experience with the ALUMINIUM version of the Endurace to this excellent thread. The clearances seem to be very similar to the carbon frame.
    On my 2018 Endurace AL, with the stock 20mm internal width DT Swiss E 1800 Spline, I've run the 35mm Jon Bon Pass tires from Rene Herse:




    And 38mm Schwalbe G-One Speed TLE



    I think I could push it to 40mm if I were feeling lucky, anything above that seems unrealistic.

    Over here i have the exact same bike, although modelyear 2017 with DT Swiss R24 Spline Disc wheelset.

    Ordered myself a set of 33mm wide graveltyres to give it a shot to convert my endurace into a make-shift gravelbike.
    Roadriding is fun although i get bored very quickly and sometimes i wanna hop onto trails that are mellow enough to ride with a gravel bike.

    Although budget / space around the house isnt there to warrant another bike.

    So i would also wanna ask anyone riding a Canyon Endurace, are you running into any trouble riding offroad? in terms of frame flex or wearing out certain parts? (gearing might not be optimal for gravel , which i understand)

    Thanks for the help
  • 06-08-2020
    Stefff3
    Hello!

    I'm planning to buy a Canyon bike and been struggling with this question already for months and hope you would be able to give me some advice.

    I want to buy a bike (budget 1400 - 1800 EUR) and doubting between the Endurace AL Disk 7.0 or Grail AL 7.0.

    My profile:
    Go riding once a week: 80 - 100km
    90% pavement, 10% gravel (sometimes path in the woods but not muddy or so)
    Also want to go riding from time to time with others who do 100% pavement
    Want to do a 3-4 days tour once or twice a year with topeak bags

    Canyon says I should go for the Grail but that has been sold out until December! Do you think that the Endurace (with 33 - 35mm) would be a good or even better option for my profile? Canyon btw emailed me today saying that the Endurace could only take 30mm.

    Thanks a lot!

    Stef
  • 07-01-2020
    VERT1
    I ran some 32 nobbly CX tires on my Endurace Al, I had clearence fine. Did a few CX races and all good. But then I did one with lots of mud and ran out of clearance quickly and ended up carving grooves into my fork and rear stays :(

    Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
  • 07-06-2020
    combfilter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Stefff3 View Post
    Hello!

    I'm planning to buy a Canyon bike and been struggling with this question already for months and hope you would be able to give me some advice.

    I want to buy a bike (budget 1400 - 1800 EUR) and doubting between the Endurace AL Disk 7.0 or Grail AL 7.0.

    My profile:
    Go riding once a week: 80 - 100km
    90% pavement, 10% gravel (sometimes path in the woods but not muddy or so)
    Also want to go riding from time to time with others who do 100% pavement
    Want to do a 3-4 days tour once or twice a year with topeak bags

    Canyon says I should go for the Grail but that has been sold out until December! Do you think that the Endurace (with 33 - 35mm) would be a good or even better option for my profile? Canyon btw emailed me today saying that the Endurace could only take 30mm.

    Thanks a lot!

    Stef

    Stef.

    The endurace would be perfect for that. That's what i use mine for.. I race road on it, crits, and gravel.

    "technically" i've been able to fit 38's on there just to see if I could. It was too close for comfort but they did fit and spin just fine. So for gravel I run 35's and as you can see from my pics above it's plenty fine for gravel here. It's really a great all around bike.