Cannondale Topstone- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Cannondale Topstone

I see Cannondale has a new gravel bike. Nothing revolutionary like the Slate, but they look like solid, affordable bikes. https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Pr...4-08b7d8ceda67

https://www.cxmagazine.com/cannondal...re-bike-launch The Cyclocross Magazine article shows the Sora model as $1350 but everything else I've seen (including the Cannondale website) shows it as $1000.

Think I'll just keep my CAADX though.
    Last edited by Geralt; 08-24-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    definitely heading to the mountain bike lite territory!! I love it!!
    Norco Threshold Single Speed
    Trek X-Calibur 7
    Bianchi San Jose with riser bar
    Trek Madone
    Kona Dew
    Tomac Taos

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yea, looks nice and the prices arent bad!

mtbr member
    Looks like a Salsa Warbird with Cannondale badging...

Nice bike and nice price points, but not earth-shattering.
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

Death Mud
    Feb 2011
    Ive been thinking of upgrading my CX9 with discs and all the components needed for that, but Id probably spend about as much if I sold it and bought a Topstone. For a commuter/bike path/gravel bike this looks compelling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The 105 spec is very tempting. My only hesitation is the lack of any mounts on the fork.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laekon View Post
    The 105 spec is very tempting. My only hesitation is the lack of any mounts on the fork.
    At 65mm it's somewhat high-trail. Not really super great front end geo for a loaded front end, pretty sweet for smashing shitty descents, though.

Design compromise.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Dirt rider
    Nov 2018
    The apex build was my original choice to get into gravel but my lbs said that cannondale is selling the heck out these bikes and that unless someone has one on the floor they are almost impossible to get until April.

I ended up going with a different bike, but if this had been available I would have ordered one for sure, I just dont feel like missing out on 4 months of quality riding.

mtbr member
    Changed my original order from 105 to Apex. LBS said 105s will be send out to customers by early December, Apex models by late January:-( Germany that is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hey Guys. I just pulled the trigger on a 105 Topstone and can't wait to out some miles on it. I was lucky that even though it's a 105 build, it came with Ultegra brakes and shifters!

It weighs 23.5 pounds which is 5 more pounds than my road bike which is 18.5. Do you think that's par for the course if you care about that sort of thing?

mtbr member
    Why on earth does this bike come with a dropper post...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    Why on earth does this bike come with a dropper post...
    Why not? Fun!

Sometimes i'd appreciate a dropper on my gravel bike.

Sadly that's not the case here but it's so baller when people repurpose the left brifter as a dropper lever on a 1x drop bar bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nutfluff View Post
    Hey Guys. I just pulled the trigger on a 105 Topstone and can't wait to out some miles on it. I was lucky that even though it's a 105 build, it came with Ultegra brakes and shifters!

Was that a stock order build or an LBS build? Interesting that given Cannondale is pretty large company, they didn't have 105 parts in stock. Would love to see inventory in my neck of the woods. LBS is saying March/April for anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Was that a stock order build or an LBS build? Interesting that given Cannondale is pretty large company, they didn't have 105 parts in stock. Would love to see inventory in my neck of the woods. LBS is saying March/April for anything.
    A LBS just got a few of these in and the latest Topstone 105 builds come with 105 brake/shifter levers. They mentioned only some really early builds/orders received the Ultegra brake/shifter levers (they still had 105 calipers and derailleurs) due to an inventory issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Studying the Topstone geochart some more (since they don't have it in stock at LBS until the spring) - it would seem the Topstone would do poorly with 650B wheels given the 75mm drop (too low) and 55mm fork offset (too much).

At least when I compare to purpose built 650B gravel bike (like the Slate). I guess if you want 650B you go with the Slate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nutfluff View Post

It weighs 23.5 pounds which is 5 more pounds than my road bike which is 18.5. Do you think that's par for the course if you care about that sort of thing?

I am looking at this bike as well. I wonder what the weight would be with a good set of road disk wheels and 700 x 28 or 32 slicks. If I get one, I will probably spring for a second set of wheels for road riding.

These bikes tend to run a bit large. I usually ride a medium and the medium Topstone I looked at was a bit long for me at 5'8".
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    These bikes tend to run a bit large. I usually ride a medium and the medium Topstone I looked at was a bit long for me at 5'8".
    True statement.

I'm 5'8.5" and found myself between the SM and MED. I ended up with a 105 MED but have already downsized the stem from a 100 to 80. Working well thus far.

And as this is a training and fitness bike for me to be used primarily on road and some hardpacked sand and gravel roads, I ditched the Nano's almost immediately and put on some Maxxis Velocita AR 700x40. A fast and comfortable setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I wonder what the weight would be with a good set of road disk wheels and 700 x 28 or 32 slicks. If I get one, I will probably spring for a second set of wheels for road riding.
    I just got mine from RBS (remote bike shop). Contacted several shops in and out of country until I found one near my daily commute

The 105 is 10.6 kg / 23.5 lb.
    Incl. SixPack Millenium Mg flats (manufacture claimed weight: 300 g).

Excited to see how it looks with some shiny parts (bell and bottle cages also en route)

Cannondale Topstone-20190110_203641.jpg
    Last edited by detsortehul; 01-19-2019 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow, cool. What fenders are these? Im sure the bike will look awesome with all the bling stuff
    I also ordered a pair of Gravelkings (SK) though I still have to wait another 3 weeks for my TS to arrive. Will you go tubeless? If so, make sure to compare weights for us. Pls send more photos, thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by triteacher View Post
    Wow, cool. What fenders are these? Im sure the bike will look awesome with all the bling stuff
    I also ordered a pair of Gravelkings (SK) though I still have to wait another 3 weeks for my TS to arrive. Will you go tubeless? If so, make sure to compare weights for us. Pls send more photos, thanks
    The fenders are "Velo Orange Zeppelin 52" (weighed in at 500g). A little fiddly to install (all fenders are?) but the final result is great.
    I can send a couple of photoes when all parts have arrived :-) (bottle cages missing)

mtbr member
    I think the experiment turned out quite nice (a bit old school )

Cannondale Topstone-img_0077-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    I like

mtbr member
    REI sells these. If you are a member, you get a 10% rebate at the end of the year. I called last week and they had a 30 day eta on the small with 105.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    The Radavist has a great piece on the Apex model:
    https://theradavist.com/2019/01/capa...ne-all-road/#1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone know if 650bx47 (road plus) will fit the Topstone? Interested in a slate, but the lack of clearance for road plus is a turn off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm not sure Topstone is ideal for 650b conversion. It's fork rake is longer 55mm (vs. 45-50mm) and BB drop is lower 75mm (vs 65-70mm) on typical 650b or 700c/650b compatible bikes.

This may lead to a bit twitchy steering and pedal strikes on 650b

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just got one of these and not sure about the 650b thing but if wider tires are your concern there is TONS of room for at least a 45c tire on 700cc rim on the frame/fork.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Got my first decent ride in on the Topstone 105, about 40 miles 70% gravel 30% road (approximate). 4k of climbing/descending

Set it up with Gravelking SK 38c tubeless. These are just fantastic tires for rough gravel and pavement. Fast and smooth with great grip.

Otherwise the bike is stock. I am really happy with it overall. The wheelset came poorly tensioned and the formula hubs are kinda junk but they will work for now. Will likely get a set of DT Swiss CR1600 or something later.

Also I don't care for the flare drop bars, probably will swap them out as well

Anyway a gratuitous pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Topstone-cd-topstone.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Any tall guys owning a Topstone? I'm 195cm / 6'5", usually with bikes I just go for the largest frame available, but I'm confused with the reports of the Topstone being a bit on the large side. Will the XL be too big for me?

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buffet View Post
    Any tall guys owning a Topstone? I'm 195cm / 6'5", usually with bikes I just go for the largest frame available, but I'm confused with the reports of the Topstone being a bit on the large side. Will the XL be too big for me?
    Not at all. I'm several inches shorter than you and i wouldn't give the L a second glance. Road geometry for tall riders is goofy as a remnant of the '1 tube set for all sizes' era. (there's plenty of mass production bikes that are awesome if you're 5'7 and hilariously bad if you're 6'2).

The XL topstone is a pretty good match for your 6'5 self. I'd want even bigger if you were looking at riding mountainous roadie chunk.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Thanks, scottzg. What is the geometry like? More aerodynamic Synapse-style, or more relaxed and upright?

mbtr member
    Thanks, scottzg. What is the geometry like? More aerodynamic Synapse-style, or more relaxed and upright?
    Think 'long wheelbase endurance bike' and you'll have a pretty good idea what it's like. It's more versatile road bike than light duty touring bike.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Great to see such interest in the Topstone. I've helped friends get half a dozen 105's over the last week and several of the Sora's as they landed earlier. Three have gone with Schwalbe G-One's for smoother higher speed use and the rest have stayed with the stock WTB tires so far, which are pretty good without spending quite a bit more. On my couple of quick test rides the Topstone 105 rides exactly like an Alloy Synapse with 40mm wide tires, which it is, giving outstanding ride quality for an alloy frame rigid carbon fork gravel / road bike. The versatility inherent in frames like the the Topstone, Niner RLT, etc. are tremendous simply for the ability to switch from smooth road tires to fast gravel tires to nearly XC trail tires in seconds with spare wheels or in minutes swapping tires. As a regular Synapse rider the Topstone is any easy sell when the road gets extra gnarly.

mtbr member
    I bought my Topstone at LBS. He is ex pro rider and did a bike fit for me when buying the Topstone. He gave me the large (and had medium available also). I am 185cm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not sure if its poor form to post this here so apologies but I am just putting my Topstone Sora (size large) up for sale at a very good price. Only 2 months old and had a few upgrades but has to go as need the cash for a house move. If anyone interested just inbox me. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    If only Cannondale would make a HiMod Carbon adventure gravel bike... in the future we may see a carbon frame, rigid fork bike with endurance geometry and accessory fixtures (a Blackstone?) unlike the full-race SuperX, or a carbon frame Slate with Lefty Ocho (yes, let's hope so!) A friend recently mounted a Lauf fork on a Slate, I rode it, very impressive. Until then the closest I can come, although way too nice to chip and soil on a bad gravel road, is my HiMod Carbon Synapse Dura-Ace Disc with Schwalbe G-One Speed 30mm wide tires. On rough, sub-par pavement which abounds in the Midwest and light gravel and paved forest paths this is an absolute dream ride with the handling and speed of a thoroughbred road racer and the ride comfort of an ultra-light-frame medium-wide-tire gravel muncher.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannosseur View Post
    If only Cannondale would make a HiMod Carbon adventure gravel bike... in the future we may see a carbon frame, rigid fork bike with endurance geometry and accessory fixtures (a Blackstone?) unlike the full-race SuperX, or a carbon frame Slate with Lefty Ocho (yes, let's hope so!) A friend recently mounted a Lauf fork on a Slate, I rode it, very impressive. Until then the closest I can come, although way too nice to chip and soil on a bad gravel road, is my HiMod Carbon Synapse Dura-Ace Disc with Schwalbe G-One Speed 30mm wide tires. On rough, sub-par pavement which abounds in the Midwest and light gravel and paved forest paths this is an absolute dream ride with the handling and speed of a thoroughbred road racer and the ride comfort of an ultra-light-frame medium-wide-tire gravel muncher.
    Or you can just DIY! Now have Enve M50 650s laced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Topstone-3a203b38-3c76-4745-bab7-159611061b58.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Yes, that's exactly the idea, nicely done trauma_md. Cannondale could add fender fixtures like the Synapse to the SuperX frame, equip it with the Carbon Lefty Ocho, and have another world class gravel bike with full 100mm travel fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Just ordered a 105 Topstone. Can't wait to check it out!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    At their price point they seem to be a great value for a great frame and fork and very good groupset, wheels, and tires, definitely selling well in my area 100 miles or so from the Dirty Kanza site. Rumours are strong that there will indeed be a carbon version of the Topstone in one to two years, essentially mimicking the geometry of the carbon Synapse rather than the racier Super X, with the tire clearance and frame features of the Topstone. It should be a great gravel / adventure bike. Now if only it came with a carbon Lefty Ocho fork...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    At their price point they seem to be a great value for a great frame and fork and very good groupset, wheels, and tires, definitely selling well in my area 100 miles or so from the Dirty Kanza site. Rumours are strong that there will indeed be a carbon version of the Topstone in one to two years, essentially mimicking the geometry of the carbon Synapse rather than the racier Super X, with the tire clearance and frame features of the Topstone. It should be a great gravel / adventure bike. Now if only it came with a carbon Lefty Ocho fork...
    Definitely! Should be a nice upgrade from my sora equipped Haanjo.

From what I hear I would expect a carbon Topstone much sooner than that.

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    The carbon Topstone was announced today. The day after I got my alloy Topstone Apex 1. Sigh.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizmuth View Post
    The carbon Topstone was announced today. The day after I got my alloy Topstone Apex 1. Sigh.
    If you're buying apex 1 then carbon shouldn't be a priority. Fancy alu is damn good for road/gravel.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Couldn't say anything until today but we have an early sample 105 model in medium very nice, frame is awesome with the kingpin / lockr pivot rear triangle adding compliance, ride is light and smooth, ought to be a killer gravel bike for those on a carbon frame budget!

poser Administrator
    Couldn't say anything until today but we have an early sample 105 model in medium very nice, frame is awesome with the kingpin / lockr pivot rear triangle adding compliance, ride is light and smooth, ought to be a killer gravel bike for those on a carbon frame budget!

This thing is pretty impressive. I love the simple rear suspension, though less so the fender mount, but at least it has one. Paired with one of those suspension style stems, this would be a pretty epic all roads bike. The only issue I see is I bet it is pretty specific to weights, where for me at 200# it would probably be more complaint than someone my size but 50lbs lighter. That aside it is pretty cool.

I will be interested to see how the non dished wheels and the proprietary BB impact purchasing.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Trimming out with SAVE carbon seatpost, top of the line carbon bars and stem, and 42mm wide premium tires should make this a very comfortable and efficient gravel muncher. The AI dished rear wheel is superior in strength and geometry as with all AI dished Cannondales and a non-issue except in extreme remote emergency wheel replacement situations. Cannondale's BB-30 system variant is excellent, lightweight, strong and stable, although far too often maligned by non-comprehending naysayers it is excellent if properly set up and maintained so also should be a non-issue for seriously knowledgeable cyclists. In fact the Cannondale Hollowgram Si crankset/BB30A bottom bracket/Si 30mm spindle - especially the not inexpensive SiSL2 model- is one of the finest, lightest cranksets made period for road or trail bikes alike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Test rode the Trek Checkpoint v the Giant Carbon v the Topstone .

As an XL rider few if any bike has ever fit me like the Topstone...

I got on it and said I could ride this for hours ...

The Green Sora is an absolute stunner - damn Shame they wont do 105 in that color ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post

The Green Sora is an absolute stunner - damn Shame they wont do 105 in that color ...
    The manufacturers photos were enough to stop me buying one, them someone that had bought one did some pics and posted in another forum and WOW it looked amazing .... I suggested he get in contact with Giant to see if he could sell them the pics as theirs just didn't do it justice.

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    I finally got out on my Apex-1 Topstone last weekend for a good 47 mile gravel break-in ride. I really love the bike way more than I expected to.

I'm new to Gravel bikes, so I was amazed at how plush it was on the gravel and fireroads. I even like it better than my full carbon road bike on the pavement. That was a total surprise.

Once the brakes bedded in (took a while) I was much more comfortable bombing downhill way quicker than I probably should have. It's just so easy though.

My only issue was with the gearing. Some of those gravel roads got a bit steep, and that kicked my butt. But I'm going to keep the gearing and invest in stronger legs.

All in all I'm way happier with the bike than I expected to be. Gravel isn't as fun as mountain biking, but way more fun than road riding. Didn't have to dodge a single Buick the whole day.

mtbr member
    Should there be a grommet around the rear brake hose? Assuming yes and the shop just missed it when installing (or it was missed in manufacturing).

Maybe someone could take a picture of theirs so I can show the shop?

(Not sure why the forum software turned the image.)

Cannondale Topstone-img_20190920_141959.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    Should there be a grommet around the rear brake hose? Assuming yes and the shop just missed it when installing (or it was missed in manufacturing).

Maybe someone could take a picture of theirs so I can show the shop?

(Not sure why the forum software turned the image.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190920_141959.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	1280911
    No, mine is same. Brake line runs the distance.
    Cheers,
    Matt E.
    Cannondale Topstone-70394260_751987491891506_7254637673514532864_n.jpg
    I just wanna ride...

mtbr member
    @MegaMustang Thanks! I'm surprised. No rattling?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    In case this helps anyone, I just mounted 45mm tires on my aluminum 105 Topstone, and theres PLENTY of clearance. WTB Riddlers.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    What tires? Any Pics?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've been thinking a lot about the Topstone lately. I currently have a Dedacchi Supercross cyclocross bike which doubles as a cyclocross race bike and a gravel bike.
    I was thinking a Topstone with a Luaf fork.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post
    What tires? Any Pics?
    WTB Riddlers They measure at 44mm wide on my 23mm internal width rims. Theres around 6mm of clearance on each side. I may have to try 50s next time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I was thinking a Topstone with a Luaf fork.
    Me too, specifically I keep thinking about the carbon topstone 105 with a lauf. Seems like you'd want some extra compliance on the front end in order to balance out the 30mm of travel that the kingpin gives you on the rear.

I'm curious what the expected maintenance is on the kingping though. I heard something like replacing the bearings once a year but I don't know how involved that process is, I'd guess not super hard.