mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Cannondale Topstone

I see Cannondale has a new gravel bike. Nothing revolutionary like the Slate, but they look like solid, affordable bikes. https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Pr...4-08b7d8ceda67

https://www.cxmagazine.com/cannondal...re-bike-launch The Cyclocross Magazine article shows the Sora model as $1350 but everything else I've seen (including the Cannondale website) shows it as $1000.

Think I'll just keep my CAADX though.
    Last edited by Geralt; 08-24-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    definitely heading to the mountain bike lite territory!! I love it!!
    Norco Threshold Single Speed
    Trek X-Calibur 7
    Bianchi San Jose with riser bar
    Trek Madone
    Kona Dew
    Tomac Taos

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yea, looks nice and the prices arent bad!

mtbr member
    Looks like a Salsa Warbird with Cannondale badging...

Nice bike and nice price points, but not earth-shattering.
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

Death Mud
    Feb 2011
    Ive been thinking of upgrading my CX9 with discs and all the components needed for that, but Id probably spend about as much if I sold it and bought a Topstone. For a commuter/bike path/gravel bike this looks compelling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The 105 spec is very tempting. My only hesitation is the lack of any mounts on the fork.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laekon View Post
    The 105 spec is very tempting. My only hesitation is the lack of any mounts on the fork.
    At 65mm it's somewhat high-trail. Not really super great front end geo for a loaded front end, pretty sweet for smashing shitty descents, though.

Design compromise.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Dirt rider
    Nov 2018
    The apex build was my original choice to get into gravel but my lbs said that cannondale is selling the heck out these bikes and that unless someone has one on the floor they are almost impossible to get until April.

I ended up going with a different bike, but if this had been available I would have ordered one for sure, I just dont feel like missing out on 4 months of quality riding.

mtbr member
    Changed my original order from 105 to Apex. LBS said 105s will be send out to customers by early December, Apex models by late January:-( Germany that is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hey Guys. I just pulled the trigger on a 105 Topstone and can't wait to out some miles on it. I was lucky that even though it's a 105 build, it came with Ultegra brakes and shifters!

It weighs 23.5 pounds which is 5 more pounds than my road bike which is 18.5. Do you think that's par for the course if you care about that sort of thing?

mtbr member
    Why on earth does this bike come with a dropper post...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    Why on earth does this bike come with a dropper post...
    Why not? Fun!

Sometimes i'd appreciate a dropper on my gravel bike.

Sadly that's not the case here but it's so baller when people repurpose the left brifter as a dropper lever on a 1x drop bar bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nutfluff View Post
    Hey Guys. I just pulled the trigger on a 105 Topstone and can't wait to out some miles on it. I was lucky that even though it's a 105 build, it came with Ultegra brakes and shifters!

Was that a stock order build or an LBS build? Interesting that given Cannondale is pretty large company, they didn't have 105 parts in stock. Would love to see inventory in my neck of the woods. LBS is saying March/April for anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Was that a stock order build or an LBS build? Interesting that given Cannondale is pretty large company, they didn't have 105 parts in stock. Would love to see inventory in my neck of the woods. LBS is saying March/April for anything.
    A LBS just got a few of these in and the latest Topstone 105 builds come with 105 brake/shifter levers. They mentioned only some really early builds/orders received the Ultegra brake/shifter levers (they still had 105 calipers and derailleurs) due to an inventory issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Studying the Topstone geochart some more (since they don't have it in stock at LBS until the spring) - it would seem the Topstone would do poorly with 650B wheels given the 75mm drop (too low) and 55mm fork offset (too much).

At least when I compare to purpose built 650B gravel bike (like the Slate). I guess if you want 650B you go with the Slate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nutfluff View Post

It weighs 23.5 pounds which is 5 more pounds than my road bike which is 18.5. Do you think that's par for the course if you care about that sort of thing?

I am looking at this bike as well. I wonder what the weight would be with a good set of road disk wheels and 700 x 28 or 32 slicks. If I get one, I will probably spring for a second set of wheels for road riding.

These bikes tend to run a bit large. I usually ride a medium and the medium Topstone I looked at was a bit long for me at 5'8".
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    These bikes tend to run a bit large. I usually ride a medium and the medium Topstone I looked at was a bit long for me at 5'8".
    True statement.

I'm 5'8.5" and found myself between the SM and MED. I ended up with a 105 MED but have already downsized the stem from a 100 to 80. Working well thus far.

And as this is a training and fitness bike for me to be used primarily on road and some hardpacked sand and gravel roads, I ditched the Nano's almost immediately and put on some Maxxis Velocita AR 700x40. A fast and comfortable setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I wonder what the weight would be with a good set of road disk wheels and 700 x 28 or 32 slicks. If I get one, I will probably spring for a second set of wheels for road riding.
    I just got mine from RBS (remote bike shop). Contacted several shops in and out of country until I found one near my daily commute

The 105 is 10.6 kg / 23.5 lb.
    Incl. SixPack Millenium Mg flats (manufacture claimed weight: 300 g).

Excited to see how it looks with some shiny parts (bell and bottle cages also en route)

Cannondale Topstone-20190110_203641.jpg
    Last edited by detsortehul; 4 Days Ago at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow, cool. What fenders are these? Im sure the bike will look awesome with all the bling stuff
    I also ordered a pair of Gravelkings (SK) though I still have to wait another 3 weeks for my TS to arrive. Will you go tubeless? If so, make sure to compare weights for us. Pls send more photos, thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by triteacher View Post
    Wow, cool. What fenders are these? Im sure the bike will look awesome with all the bling stuff
    I also ordered a pair of Gravelkings (SK) though I still have to wait another 3 weeks for my TS to arrive. Will you go tubeless? If so, make sure to compare weights for us. Pls send more photos, thanks
    The fenders are "Velo Orange Zeppelin 52" (weighed in at 500g). A little fiddly to install (all fenders are?) but the final result is great.
    I can send a couple of photoes when all parts have arrived :-) (bottle cages missing)

mtbr member
    I think the experiment turned out quite nice (a bit old school )

Cannondale Topstone-img_0077-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    I like

mtbr member
    REI sells these. If you are a member, you get a 10% rebate at the end of the year. I called last week and they had a 30 day eta on the small with 105.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller