Any Gravel around Boston?- Mtbr.com
    Kaishingo

Any Gravel around Boston?

My wife just got accepted to a Post-Doc in Bedford - we're making the move in August, so the riding research begins!

I know there are tons of trails to be had up in that area, but how about dirt roads? Especially with the mud-seasons in the NE, I've found gravel-grinders to be much more entertaining then riding on the road when the trails are in bad shape. How far out of the city do I have to get before any semblance of rural-dirt roads begin?

Thanks in advance - and looking forward to getting out of the Mid-Atlantic to a place that actually has seasons!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So, you're inBedford MA? Go to the end of the paved section of the Minute man Trail, ( in bedford) go left and then cut in behind guardrail , flat dirt trail runs to concord center. Also the mm trail splits up toward Lowell on stone dust. It cuts across spring street. Also check out the Land Locked Forest, Bedford/ lexington line. Not much winter this year, not much mud season either. Check out the NEMBA site, Greater Boston has a regular ride schedule coming up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    leeboh covered all of the good stuff. Also, check out Estabrook north of Concord center at the end of the Minuteman. There's a lot of double wide horse trails in there that should be OK to ride before the others dry out. Openstreetmap.org has it mapped out. Harold Parker and Great Brook are also pretty close and have dirt roads/gravel. There are also a number of paved rail trails in the area for when it's really wet(Google maps has these listed in the cycling view). Good luck and welcome to the area. I ride Land Locked Forest in Bedford most mornings and occasionally during Lunch if you want a tour. Also check out Russell Mill for flowy type trails and Vietnam in Milford MA for more technical riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    This is more cross / touring specific than MTB but there are lots of dirt roads with climbs right over the border in the southern NH area (Hollis, Brookline, Milford, New Ipswich, etc.). Shoot up Route 3 from Bedford to Nashua and then ride from there (20 min or so). There's some really good riding out that way if gravel grinders are your forté.

Members who have read this thread: 0