What's a dependable, basic HRM?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What's a dependable, basic HRM?

All I want is a hrm that I can set to jangle when the rate moves out of a specified zone. No GPS, no calorie counter, no soap squirted onto the bike when it gets muddy. Output could be to a wrist device, mobile phone, or even a bike-mounted device. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    For a chest strap, I'd recommend the Wahoo Tickr. Much better than Garmin's straps.

I've also had good luck with the Mio Fuse wrist HR monitor. It's super convenient and seems to work really well both mountain and road biking. It's been out for quite a while, so you can probably find some good deals.

For something newer, the Scosche Rhythm 24 got a positive pre-release write up from DCRainmaker. It is shipping shortly.

mtbr member
    Absolutely second the Whahoo strap. It is compatible with MOST ANT+ and Bluetooth devices which probably means your phone. Lot's of HR apps in your "store". Also, it will pair with a Garmin if that's what your using. I've been using one for a number of years with both the 500 and the 510, and pretty sure they pair to most other Garmin stuff as long as it has a HR function.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips! I'll look into those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm thinking about getting a HRM too. Lots of complaints in reviews of the Wahoo strap coming unsnapped constantly during rides.

Maybe the Wahoo or Scoshe arm bands is the way to go

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have used polar products for years. PayPal me $7 to cover shipping and Iíll mail you a polar FT7 and strap. It isnít smart or have Bluetooth. Basic but good little watch.

. What's a dependable, basic HRM?-0d91ec4e-c08b-4627-bbe7-4aeee8ecc977-2751-000002a034dcb67d.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EAT MORE GRIME
    basic polar is the way to go imho
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with polar chest straps in the past, used for running. This time I picked up the wahoo arm strap. It has been dead reliable over four months of three rides a week. I prefer the arm strap to the chest strap. It stays in place, and I forget it's there 10 seconds after putting it on.

Monkey Wrangler
    +1 for the Wahoo Tickr. Mine paired easily to Trainer Road, my cell phone, my Lezyne Mega C. Great little unit.

Rent this space for $
    I wear one every single ride for the last almost 5 years. Mostly the Wahoo Tickr I bought through Strava when they had a store but I also have 2 Garmin basic HRM's that I picked up for $15 each on a BuyDig deal someone posted here on this site. The Garmins feel a bit different when hanlding them and putting them on but once on, I notice absolutely ZERO difference between them and the Wahoo with the softer strap. I always completely forget they are on and forget to remove them unless I am changing my clothes after a particularly harsh ride. Accuracy of each is pretty much identical. Using them on the same rides over and over for years, I detect no discrepancies amongst their readings. Ant+ is a must for the most compatibility with apps.

Personally, I always wear a watch and a RoadID bracelet on the opposite wrist. A wrist type monitor does not appeal to me unless it was incorporated into the watch. I'm not so sure of the accuracy of those though and my Vivoactive doesn't do standalone HRM like the more high powered units. My wife's Vivosport does but she's made comment about it failing to read sometimes. Could be her and how she has it adjusted.

Garmin has a brand new Dual transmitting HRM I just saw advertised moments ago in a Garmin email I received. $69 list. Supposedly even more precise, comfortable, and a battery life of 3.5 years. I'm gonna have to kill 3 HRM's before I make that move!

mtbr member
    ^^^ with all the above mentioned HR monitors, you need a device to record and display zones. I recently got a Scosche Rhythm24 optical arm band monitor and it indicates zones with a light on the monitor and will record HR for future upload via an app so you don't need to bring anything else along. It also transmits HR data in real time via both ANT+ and BT for recording with other devices too.
    What, me worry?

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 for Wahoo. I wore the original Blue HR (since ~2011-2012) until maybe a year ago when it started going wacky. Wahoo support was amazed that it lasted so long.

Bought a Tickr X as a replacement and itís been stellar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er