Wahoo Elemnt Roam Giving Incorrect Turn-by-Turn Cues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Wahoo Elemnt Roam Giving Incorrect Turn-by-Turn Cues

Saturday I used my Wahoo Elemnt Roam to follow a pre-set 74 mile gravel road route by downloading a .gpx file I had previously built using Garmin Connect.

For the most part it worked really well however there was about 6 or 8 turns where the turn-by-turn cue that popped up on my screen told me to turn the opposite direction from how I should. There was even a couple instances when it told me to turn left when i was supposed to turn right and the road didn't even go left. Luckily the chevron symbols on the map showing my route were correct and I was somewhat familiar with the area and my inner compass gave me the feeling the ques were incorrect so it didn't end up being an issue. However had I been somewhere I was less familiar with and not had the Map page active it could have been.

Has anyone else experienced this and given that the device had the route properly plotted on the map why do you think it would make this mistake with some of the turn-by-turn cues?

Thanks.

since 4/10/2009
    Why did you use Garmin Connect for this on a Wahoo device? Garmin devices do some things that aren't exactly the same as how other devices do some things.

First, I'd do over using a more agnostic system, like RideWithGPS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Why did you use Garmin Connect for this on a Wahoo device? Garmin devices do some things that aren't exactly the same as how other devices do some things.

First, I'd do over using a more agnostic system, like RideWithGPS.
    Because I've been a Garmin device user for years so I'm familiar with Garmin Connect and this is my first Wahoo device.

Garmin Connect exports a .gpx file and I figured a .gpx file is a .gpx file regardless of what it was created with. But perhaps I'm wrong about that...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    Because I've been a Garmin device user for years so I'm familiar with Garmin Connect and this is my first Wahoo device.

Garmin Connect exports a .gpx file and I figured a .gpx file is a .gpx file regardless of what it was created with. But perhaps I'm wrong about that...
    You'd think a .gpx file is a .gpx file and to an extent it is, but there are some occasions where Garmin has gone its own way and outright violated the official .gpx schema. Pretty sure this is why they created .tcx and .fit files for their own uses.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    How did you transfer the Connect course to a Wahoo, is what I'd like to know ?.

From the get-go, Wahoo was designed to interface seamlessly with RideWithGPS, thus I'm actually surprised you don't use that. Better mapping options for one thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmandoo View Post
    How did you transfer the Connect course to a Wahoo, is what I'd like to know ?.

From the get-go, Wahoo was designed to interface seamlessly with RideWithGPS, thus I'm actually surprised you don't use that. Better mapping options for one thing.
    I created the course using the Garmin Connect website on my laptop, exported it as a .gpx file then placed the file in my icloud folder. Then on my phone I can go to my icloud, pick the .gpx file there and I get the option to "copy to Elemnt". That gets the .gpx file imported into the Wahoo Elemnt app. Then when I turn on my device and it syncs it is available in Routes.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hello
    I also have a Elemnt Roam.
    Wrong turn-by-turn cues has happened to me, though it is rare.
    It has happened in both Strava and Wahoo and the reason is, as mentioned, bugs or imprecisions with .gpx exports and imports.
    Sometimes it is the case that the turn is marked some meters before the real turn which can also be confusing - but always due to the same reason.
    A track created on the device itself has never had this issue.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nande View Post
    Sometimes it is the case that the turn is marked some meters before the real turn which can also be confusing - but always due to the same reason.
    Not sure about you, but I WANT the turn cue to pop up well before the actual turn so I'm ready for it. A lot of this is user-related, as most sites give you some control over this, but I was doing a long, complicated road route with some people once. One guy had created a route in MapMyRide that he then distributed to the group. I saw the route and didn't like some of the turn cues and a few little things (it occasionally pointed the wrong way on roundabouts, for example), so I tweaked it in RWGPS to fix those little issues. Some riders still used the original file, and one very sharp corner in particular had the turn notification far too late, which created a mess. Some riders were aware and made the turn, but others didn't get their notification yet, so there was an ugly pileup, and one woman broke her hip in the crash.

I want the notification to be soon enough that I have time to slow gradually and scope out the turn. I don't want to be forced to decide if I'm going to make a sudden move (which may or may not be a smart thing to do), or overshoot the corner, stop, turn around, and all that.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    My Elemnt ROAM always makes the 1st notification 250m before the cue and then another closer by. Isn’t this standard? Or is it configurable?! Can’t remember. For me it works perfectly; if it is a slower section, the 1st notification 250m before is a bit too early but for a faster section it works perfectly.
    The wrong notifications are, as far as I know, a issue with export/import.
    The “soon enough notifications” should not be an issue with the ROAM...
    Don’t you also have 250m pre-warning? It is the same independently of the active screen you are using.

What I was mentioning previously was that due to some export/import errors the map marks the turn a few meters off of the real spot... nothing to do with notifications.