under 100, basic GPS with APP support- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017

under 100, basic GPS with APP support

I already own the iGPsport 20E which is a stand-alone GPS tracker with basic features & alt. You upload to strava on the computer later using USB.

For $50 usd its been perfect for me, since I don't own a mobile phone. & it has worked flawlessly for almost a year now.

My wife would like one, but she needs to upload/sync via her iPad instead of a computer.
    She also doesnt have a smart phone, but as long at the iPad app can sync to Strava after the ride, its ok.

Do you have a recommendation for a GPS like this?
    It just needs to track the ride without sensors other than the built in GPS. Since we dont have phones we cant use a phone gps.

I was looking at the Bryton 10E but some people said the APP is very unreliable & SLOW.
    It is essential that the app will work well & not disconnect etc all the time because then my wife will simply not use it if it doesnt work reliably.

since 4/10/2009
    Bryton is also not very responsive to problems. I had a very critical error with one (310) that they gave me to test/review and they didn't do a damn thing about the error reports I provided. That was years ago, and the error remains. You don't want one.

You're basically after a GPS with bluetooth. Nothing I know of does what you want for less than $100 new.

Guidosan
    Jan 2004
    Sorry for my ignorance in that I don't know the limitations of using an iPad. But see if the Cateye computers will work for her. Check out the Stealth evo or the evo+. Both GPS and maybe the software can be loaded onto the iPad.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by guidosan View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance in that I don't know the limitations of using an iPad. But see if the Cateye computers will work for her. Check out the Stealth evo or the evo+. Both GPS and maybe the software can be loaded onto the iPad.
    Fits the price range, but critical problem is that it has to be plugged in for data transfer.

To work with an ipad, the device absolutely must have Bluetooth data transfer capability.

MAYBE someone with a tolerance for fiddling around could figure out how to access ride data from an ipad by physically plugging this device in. But the ipad (and for that matter, most tablets on the market) are not designed to navigate files on external drives in this way. As I said, you might be able to futz your way through it if you're tech savvy and patient, but it's really not a viable solution.

There are a number of devices that can achieve this functionality natively through a phone or tablet app that's built to access compatible devices wirelessly. The Garmin Edge 130. Just about any Lezyne, though the mini is the lowest priced device that'll do it. But OP has to increase the budget.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I don't know Harold, I can see many devices under 100 on ebay that have bluetooth, im just not sure which are reliable. I guess Ill just go with another iGs model.

bryton 310 (61), bryton 10 (40), 15 (43)
    iGS 50E (45), lezyne macro (76), db2 posma (47)
    most of them seem to be about 50/$70

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Riquez View Post
    I don't know Harold, I can see many devices under 100 on ebay that have bluetooth, im just not sure which are reliable. I guess Ill just go with another iGs model.

bryton 310 (61), bryton 10 (40), 15 (43)
    iGS 50E (45), lezyne macro (76), db2 posma (47)
    most of them seem to be about 50/$70
    Did you not read my comments about Bryton? The 310 is specifically the model I have with a critical bug I reported to the manufacturer that they have done nothing to address for YEARS since I identified it. I got the thing for free and it is junk even at that price.

I would absolutely not purchase junk from ebay or aliexpress (same difference at this point) just because it hits an arbitrary cheapskate price point.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you are willing to do a watch, I believe (double check me; I'm not 100% sure) the Garmin forerunner 35 has Bluetooth sync to the Garmin app, which can be configured to push to Strava. That can be had for around $100 I'm there USA.

C-H
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I've got the Bryton 310 since a few years and so far I'm happy with it.
    I use it for road (with power meter) and for MTB.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Garmin Edge 25?