A Strava Question...- Mtbr.com
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

A Strava Question...

So, I ride rollers in the winter. Is there a cycling computer or device (Garmin, etc?) That will track miles the way a standard (wired) cycling computer would do, (with a wheel sensor, not GPS) so I can add those miles to my annual total?
    Just curious. I did 90-95 one hour sessions on the rollers last winter, and I would like to know what the theoretical miles would have been. (For this coming season)
    Thanks!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Rides all the bikes!
    Just about any GPS bike computer will read a wheel sensor to give you speed. You just turn the GPS off and it will go by the wheel sensor.

mtbr member
    Any modern garmin, wahoo, etc GPS will take an ANT+ wheel sensor to track stationary mileage.

No name wheel sensors can be found for about 10 bux on aliexpress and amazon, and they work fine IME.

You'll need to either manually input the wheel size or auto-calibrate on an end-of-season outdoor ride.

Whether or not indoor riding counts as "real mileage" on various Strava events and challenges is a somewhat more controversial issue.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    A wired or wireless bike computer will do that.

I used a Cateye MicroElite on my road bike for years to track my miles. Not sure the sensor will work at the rear wheel an read the handlebar mount but you could mount the unit near the rear wheel to record the data but not see it while you're on the rollers.

A wired device will reach from the bar to the rear wheel though.

As for tracking in Strava, you can add a manual entry with the total miles and be done.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Hunh, I didn’t know you could manually enter anything in Strava without a gps to ‘prove’ that you did it. Do you know of a tutorial?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Any modern garmin, wahoo, etc GPS will take an ANT+ wheel sensor to track stationary mileage.

No name wheel sensors can be found for about 10 bux on aliexpress and amazon, and they work fine IME.

You'll need to either manually input the wheel size or auto-calibrate on an end-of-season outdoor ride.

Whether or not indoor riding counts as "real mileage" on various Strava events and challenges is a somewhat more controversial issue.
    I thought I read that Strava discontinued ANT+ support, do you know?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Figured it out, that was easy!
    Seems a little strange that anyone can just edit in however many miles and feet they thought they did. I would prefer a more accountable record myself.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Interplanetary Poultry
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Seems a little strange that anyone can just edit in however many miles and feet they thought they did. I would prefer a more accountable record myself.
    I think it's more for those times when you either are using a device/software that you haven't linked with Strava, or your file was corrupted and wouldn't load (happened to me recently) or maybe you rode with someone else and they recorded the ride but you didn't. Sure you can "cheat", but who cares? If you're just adding mileage for indoor training I can't see how anyone would care.
    . . . . . . . .

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    True, it is only for my own entertainment to track over the years.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

since 4/10/2009
    I thought I read that Strava discontinued ANT+ support, do you know?
    That wasn't what was stated. The Garmin, Wahoo, etc is the head unit and is connected to the sensor. The newest Garmins (530/830 will accept bluetooth sensors, but older ones require ANT+). Strava doesn't know or care the protocol those devices use to communicate. If Strava dumped ANT+ support, that was their phone app, and they did it because phones have largely refused to include ANT+ support so it was pretty much worthless to offer in the app.

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    I think it's more for those times when you either are using a device/software that you haven't linked with Strava, or your file was corrupted and wouldn't load (happened to me recently) or maybe you rode with someone else and they recorded the ride but you didn't. Sure you can "cheat", but who cares? If you're just adding mileage for indoor training I can't see how anyone would care.
    That's pretty much the intent. And Strava even offers a way for someone you rode with to "add" you to the activity so that you get the GPS track. I doubt it counts for segments or anything, but it gives you the mileage and the map, at least. For indoor training, yeah, who cares? If you're adding miles you didn't do, you're only proving yourself to be very sad, indeed.

mtbr member
    You can certainly track virtual miles, but miles, real or virtual, are not the best metric. Intensity and duration is much better. Consider a real mtb ride and real road ride. For an equivalent effort on each for a hour, you might go 8 miles on the mtb and 16 on the road bike. From a workout perspective, they're basically the same despite the road ride having 2x the miles.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    You can certainly track virtual miles, but miles, real or virtual, are not the best metric. Intensity and duration is much better. Consider a real mtb ride and real road ride. For an equivalent effort on each for a hour, you might go 8 miles on the mtb and 16 on the road bike. From a workout perspective, they're basically the same despite the road ride having 2x the miles.
    If nobody said it, I was going to. Miles on a set of rollers are meaningless, since it's pretty easy to keep them spinning at 4-5 gears from top end of the bike if you are relatively fit (25-26mph).

Intensity, ie, heart rate/power are much more useful, since they quantify what a wheel mounted trainer cannot: that you have to work to keep the bike upright.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Haha...1/2 the time I am in 53/11 going 80rpm...you can’t really slouch on rollers.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Then don't lie when you input the numbers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Useless?

What if one wishes to track the miles on their training tires? Or the time the spend on a trainer through inclimate seasonal conditions. Or the miles their chain and gears has on it through the training periods.

Not quite uselessness just because it doesn't count the number of days spent in the sun or rain or snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    That wasn't what was stated. The Garmin, Wahoo, etc is the head unit and is connected to the sensor. The newest Garmins (530/830 will accept bluetooth sensors, but older ones require ANT+). Strava doesn't know or care the protocol those devices use to communicate. If Strava dumped ANT+ support, that was their phone app, and they did it because phones have largely refused to include ANT+ support so it was pretty much worthless to offer in the app.
    Actually, in a move that was widely mocked, the Strava Apps for both Android and Ios dumped all external sensor support, both ANT+ and BT, last week.

But as you noted, if you're using a dedicated unit to record, such as a garmin, wahoo, or similar, you won't notice a difference.... that is to say, Strava does not strip the extra sensor data from the fit/gpx/tcx file when it's uploaded.

So while I think the internet mockery is justified, I haven't actually used the phone app with external sensors myself in a few years.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Interplanetary Poultry
    Actually, in a move that was widely mocked, the Strava Apps for both Android and Ios dumped all external sensor support, both ANT+ and BT, last week.

But as you noted, if you're using a dedicated unit to record, such as a garmin, wahoo, or similar, you won't notice a difference.... that is to say, Strava does not strip the extra sensor data from the fit/gpx/tcx file when it's uploaded.

So while I think the internet mockery is justified, I haven't actually used the phone app with external sensors myself in a few years.
    Wow, I had not noticed that. I occasionally run and use the phone app with my HRM. Maybe it's time to get a Garmin watch.
    . . . . . . . .

since 4/10/2009

I hadn't caught that. I've never used external sensors with my phone so it wasn't even on my radar. My phone has pretty much been a secondary tracking backup for the rare occasions that I forgot my Garmin (like I did a couple weeks ago). Shame they even dropped BT sensor support from the app, though. Pretty much all the hardware out there supports that option, so I think Strava will lose some people over that decision.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    If Strava dumped ANT+ support, that was their phone app, and they did it because phones have largely refused to include ANT+ support so it was pretty much worthless to offer in the app.
    “Supporting Bluetooth devices was causing the app to crash during recording, whether or not a sensor was connected. Disabling this feature significantly improves recording stability for all athletes. While this update will reduce crashes for millions of athletes, we understand that it will be disappointing for the athletes who do use the feature.”

So instead of fixing it, they just dropped it...