Strava not finding segments where there are tons of segments?- Mtbr.com
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

Strava not finding segments where there are tons of segments?

Ok, so on a short little evening spin, I rode the same ride I have ridden many times. But Strava only found four segments out of what should have been a dozen. What gives? Is there any chance of playing with the ride data on the website in order to get it to find them?
    Here is an example (one of the most popular riding areas in Jackson).

https://strava.app.link/NysYqdDbV6

Thoughts?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I had a ride a couple days ago that I went super hard on a local trail to try for a PR (and beat some buds lol) and knew I killed it. When I uploaded the ride, there were NO segments for the ride! I was pissed! Went back a few days and checked my other rides, sure enough, they didn't have segments either. So I looked it up, and found that if you go into the ride page and click the little 3-dot window next to the edit window, then click on refresh Activity Achievements, it spins for a minute or so and then the segments come up. For even the older rides. WHEW!
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

Dirty Old Man
    Stava has definitely been screwy lately. At a local trail spot it logged all the time I spent at the trailhead as time on the trail, but then didn't log the segment for the whole trail, only smaller the segments of the trail.
    On a local XC trail by my house I was pushing for a PR but it only logged the segment for the second half of the trail. In both cases the missing segments weren't "hidden", they just weren't there.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I had a ride a couple days ago that I went super hard on a local trail to try for a PR (and beat some buds lol) and knew I killed it. When I uploaded the ride, there were NO segments for the ride! I was pissed! Went back a few days and checked my other rides, sure enough, they didn't have segments either. So I looked it up, and found that if you go into the ride page and click the little 3-dot window next to the edit window, then click on refresh Activity Achievements, it spins for a minute or so and then the segments come up. For even the older rides. WHEW!
    You didn't tell us if you PRed the segment!!!!

I'm assuming Strava might be trying to make changes/improvements to the segments since their move to more of a paid platform. Very likely it's also introducing a lot of bugs they need to sort out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    You didn't tell us if you PRed the segment!!!!

I'm assuming Strava might be trying to make changes/improvements to the segments since their move to more of a paid platform. Very likely it's also introducing a lot of bugs they need to sort out.
    Not bad for a 60-yr-old man.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strava not finding segments where there are tons of segments?-1deb2229-b534-4b34-82c4-c1282cb30bd3_1_201_a.jpg  

Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Not bad for a 60-yr-old man.

Haha sweet! I have plenty of experience of getting beat by a 63 year old man but I have him covered on the downhills (he's more of a roadie).

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    The only thing I see with the ‘three dots’ on the app is ‘add photos, edit, crop, delete’.
    Are you finding this on the actual website?

Can you maybe add a screenshot of where to find the ‘refresh Activity Achievements’?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The only thing I see with the ‘three dots’ on the app is ‘add photos, edit, crop, delete’.
    Are you finding this on the actual website?

Can you maybe add a screenshot of where to find the ‘refresh Activity Achievements’?
    I think you need to go to the web interface to find that option. There's a 3 horizontal dot menu next to the wrench (all on the main activity page on the left side), and the option to refresh activity achievements is at the bottom of the list of 9 options.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I think you need to go to the web interface to find that option. There's a 3 horizontal dot menu next to the wrench (all on the main activity page on the left side), and the option to refresh activity achievements is at the bottom of the list of 9 options.
    Ok, found it, but it didn’t do anything. Still only 5 segments...

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

since 4/10/2009
    Ok, found it, but it didn’t do anything. Still only 5 segments...
    You might want to look at how closely the GPS track mirrors others. Flyby works well for that.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Ok, so on a short little evening spin, I rode the same ride I have ridden many times. But Strava only found four segments out of what should have been a dozen. What gives? Is there any chance of playing with the ride data on the website in order to get it to find them?
    Here is an example (one of the most popular riding areas in Jackson).

https://strava.app.link/NysYqdDbV6

Thoughts?
    Who gives a fv<k?

are you riding for Strava or are you riding for you?
    always mad and usually drunk......

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    Who gives a fv<k?

Where is the like button

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Who gives a fv<k?

I use it to gauge my fitness year over year. I just got a knee replacement, and I am tracking my recovery process, in part to share it with friends who are contemplating this procedure.

And to prove I’m a middle-aged badass ;-)

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    IDK, but might this have anything to do with the recent free vs paid restructuring?
    What, me worry?

I am Walt
    I had this issue for the first time after a ride on Thursday morning. Based on posts in a Facebook group I’m in, a lot of other people also had this happen on Thursday morning. A few hours later, everything was showing up, so Strava must have fixed it. I didn’t have to do anything. Hasn’t happened since...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Who gives a fv<k?

Maybe HE gives a fv<k! And why do YOU give a fv<k for whom he's riding? Maybe some people like to compare their OWN efforts.....just so f'ing tired of people getting so concerned with others wanting to record their data....if YOU don't care just stay off the damn thread, you know what it's about by the title.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Maybe HE gives a fv<k! And why do YOU give a fv<k for whom he's riding? Maybe some people like to compare their OWN efforts.....just so f'ing tired of people getting so concerned with others wanting to record their data....if YOU don't care just stay off the damn thread, you know what it's about by the title.
    +1 to this

Sneaker man
    +2, strava can be a great tool to use, and people can be complete tools without using it at all (as proved here)
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    +3, Karen.
    I like to see how I do compared to the other 65-69 year old!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    I had this issue for the first time after a ride on Thursday morning. Based on posts in a Facebook group I’m in, a lot of other people also had this happen on Thursday morning. A few hours later, everything was showing up, so Strava must have fixed it. I didn’t have to do anything. Hasn’t happened since...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Again, I suggest checking track accuracy compared to other efforts/past efforts/whatever. It may not be Strava. Could be a GPS constellation problem, which is out of Strava's hands. Space weather, atmospheric issues, hardware problems can all cause accuracy issues that will show up as segments not matching up.

Of course, it could also be a Strava problem. They HAVE been messing around with their system. But I record with a Garmin and have never paid a dime and I haven't noticed any problems with segments matching up. To be fair, I don't pay super close attention to them. I just have a vague notion that there are a lot in my area, and I make note of how I'm doing on the climbing ones in general (but not any in particular).

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Strava (or really the consumer GPS system in general) is and has always been sketchy for MTBing. Maybe it works better in areas without trees, but I'll see people get KOMs or top placings on very popular segments that I know don't stand a chance in reality. Seems like if you're good enough to get in the ballpark, a little GPS error can provide a lot of help.

Works much better on the road IME. Segments on the road are also generally more logical.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsbar View Post
    Strava (or really the consumer GPS system in general) is and has always been sketchy for MTBing. Maybe it works better in areas without trees, but I'll see people get KOMs or top placings on very popular segments that I know don't stand a chance in reality. Seems like if you're good enough to get in the ballpark, a little GPS error can provide a lot of help.

Works much better on the road IME. Segments on the road are also generally more logical.
    Short segments on MTB trails often get crazy results but for longer segments, over a few miles, it's usually pretty accurate. It's pretty common for Strava to start/finish short, twisty segments at the wrong place but over a long period it usually evens out if the segment is long enough. I've had some segments where Strava says like 8 seconds when it was in fact 2-3 minutes.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsbar View Post

The errors exist on the road, too. Segment length plays a huge role in how reliable segment results are. I know some roadies like to play with that unreliability and intentionally create segments of minimal length to see the ensuing chaos. Plus, there are absolutely ways to "game" Strava's system. There was even a tool out for awhile that artificially sped up your ride to game Strava's segments.

GPS works fine for mtb, even in the trees, but you have to have a realistic understanding of the limits of the technology. Dismissing it out of hand is just as bad as trusting it implicitly with every aspect of navigation and wayfinding.