Thread: Strava devices

mtbr member

Strava devices

Hello, sorry I'm a bit technologically challenged. What other devices can I use to track myself using Strava ? I've been using my phone but it wears my battery down to quickly.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I think pretty much your only other option is a gps device, either handheld or bar mounted. Some communicate with Strava to upload data after a ride. Can you upload gpx files to Strava?

For future reference, there is a GPS/computers forum here with a lot of this type of infomation.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Garmin and other gps data can be uploaded into strava. just means you typically have to do it once you get home and with a computer.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Sneaker man
    probably better to ask this, or just read, in the GPS section of this site:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/gps-hrm-bike-computer/

for me, i have a Garmin edge 1000 and forerunner 645. I set off on my ride, phone in pocket, garmin connects to phone and begins live tracking to garmin site. When I finish usually within seconds (sometimes much longer) my ride is uploaded to garmin website and about 2 seconds later it appears in strava, get a notification on my phone and I can check it out.
    Or i go for a run with no phone, when I finish by the time I get back inside, same process, watch-> phone->garmin->strava, its on strava and I can check it out.
    But if you want some good info/reviews, then:
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-...son-calculator
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I'll post up on that page as well

mtbr member
    I've had great luck with my Garmin 520 for both mt bike and road use and uploading to Strava. That newer Garmin 520 is out so there are some great deals out there, both new and used.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    How bout the the new iwatch 3 or 4 ? Anyone using one ? Seem accurate ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
    Hello, sorry I'm a bit technologically challenged. What other devices can I use to track myself using Strava ? I've been using my phone but it wears my battery down to quickly.

Thanks
    Put your phone in airplane mode. GPS radio will still work. You don't need a data connection to record your ride.
    That will use less battery.

Interplanetary Poultry
    If you have a Garmin device (I use a 1030) and run the Garmin Connect app on your phone, then the Garmin can automatically upload your ride to Strava. I believe Wahoo GPS computers can do this as well, but I'm not certain.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    I bought a used Fitbit Surge for about $50. it has a built-in GPS, so it does not eat up my phone battery when I use it. after I track a ride, I upload my data to my phone via Bluetooth and the Fitbit app shares it with Strava so everyone can know how awesome my ride was.

as an added bonus, it alerts me of text messages sent to my phone. that way, when my phone goes off, I can just look at my watch and read to text to see if it's urgent, or if it's someone sending me a link to a cat video without digging my phone out of my pack.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    ... or if it's someone sending me a link to a cat video without digging my phone out of my pack.
    Bro, I brake hard and stop for ALL cat videos! You never know what you might miss if you don't!

It's getting really easy and it seems darned everything is connecting to Strava. I just bought a Concept 2 pro ergometer (rowing machine) and even the computer on that links through their server to log on Strava automatically when I'm finished with a workout. Even posts a pic of my data strings on the PM5 computer. Shouldn't be too long before I can link my NutriBullet blender and my muscle massager will link up and factor down my recovery time.

I run a Garmin 520 which does Live Segments Beacon, etc. I also wear a, now cheap, Garmin VivoActive watch and if my 520 battery dies or I'm doing a hike I want to log, as soon as I'm finished, that too uploads through Garmin Connect right to my Strava account.

Nothing in life counts unless it's on Strava. If it's not....it didn't happen!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I've been using the Vivoactive HR with the Garmin Connect app which pairs with my iphone then automatically transfers the data to Strava.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-v%C3%A.../dp/B01BKUB6BA

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I use the Garmin Edge 1000, but it is overkill for mountain biking. A cheap GPS enabled computer will do the job. The smaller Garmin computers will certainly do the job. I bought it to use it for navigation for road riding and use it for everything now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I use a Garmin Fenix 3 watch. It has pretty much all of the functions of a Garmin 1000 bike head unit. I also use it for running, swimming and hiking so it's a lot more versatile than a bike head unit. On the mountain bike I use a handlebar mount otherwise it digs into my wrist on downhills.

My wife got a Suunto watch and loves it way more than the Garmin. It's a much more comfortable fit too so they're worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post

Thanks
    I use my iPhone. It does not wear down the battery much since I turn it on and never look at it. However it will just run down if I riding in place with poor cell signal. The phone powers up to get a signal and that wears down the battery. Simple solution is airplane mode. Start strava when you have a signal and then turn to airplane mode. Do you ride and turn cell back on then stop your ride. It will still upload as the phone still get signal from GPS in airplane mode, but does not waste power looking for cell signal. I have done 10hr rides like that. No issues.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Put your phone in airplane mode. GPS radio will still work. You don't need a data connection to record your ride.
    That will use less battery.
    If you don't look at your phone while riding, turning off your screen makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    520 has been great, the non touchscreen. Survived a few bad crashes but luckily i have a screen protector. Still looks like new after replacing the screen protection. I tie the lanyard around my cables so it doesnt get lost. Ive recently bought a kedge stem mount, gonna try that to clean up the cockpit.
    It auto uploads to strava after every ride and i can have a map of my route. Works well and its pretty inexpensive these days. Anything on my wrist will get destroyed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk