Starting a Ride with GPS course in the middle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Starting a Ride with GPS course in the middle

I am kind of new to this whole GPS navigation thing (at least on a bike). I just bought a used Garmin 510 and also set up an account on Ride with GPS. Prior to this I have just been using Strava to record rides.Here is my question and apologies if it is a dumb one. If you download a ridewithgps route to your Garmin, can you start somewhere other than the designated start point and still have it provide turn by turn notifications? I was looking at a 70 route that was on bikepacking.com and I would like to do about half of it, starting about 15 miles in.

Thanks!
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I am kind of new to this whole GPS navigation thing (at least on a bike). I just bought a used Garmin 510 and also set up an account on Ride with GPS. Prior to this I have just been using Strava to record rides.Here is my question and apologies if it is a dumb one. If you download a ridewithgps route to your Garmin, can you start somewhere other than the designated start point and still have it provide turn by turn notifications? I was looking at a 70 route that was on bikepacking.com and I would like to do about half of it, starting about 15 miles in.

Thanks!
    Nice thing about RideWithGPS is that you can copy a route to your own account, edit it as you see fit for your purposes, and then use that.

So in your case, you can copy it over, trim it to start where you want for that given trip (and save that as a copy so you still have the original, full route), and then put it on your GPS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    The device will (should - the 510 is old) ask "Do you want to navigate to the start ?". You can decline and start from whatever your location.

But I also like Harold suggestion and is how I would do it.

mtbr member
    Yeah. It'll pick up "nav" wherever you join the course. I put nav in quotations because the 510 doesn't do any nav itself and won't navigate to the beginning of a course or anything else. It only displays your position and any course you download to it superposed on a map. Textual nav instructions for approaching turns are embedded in the course file by the app that you use to create it, like RWGPS. If you ride the course backward, the instructions will be wrong.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. This is mostly going to be an out and back on one really long gravel road, so I don't anticipate getting too lost. Now, it would just warm up and quit raining.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller