Starting a new track on a Garmin GPS.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Starting a new track on a Garmin GPS.

I have a new GPSMAP 60CSx. I can't figure out how to start a new track from the point where I start a ride or trip home without just power cycling the unit off/on. Surely there has to be a "start new track" option but I can't find it. On the tracks page there is only an option to save existing tracks, not start a new one.
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    On the page with all of the trip data i hit Menu then reset whatever data fields i want, including clearing saved track data.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    On the page with all of the trip data i hit Menu then reset whatever data fields i want, including clearing saved track data.
    Clearing the tracks will delete the old however? Correct?
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    If you've got saved tracks you can uncheck that field and it won't delete the saved tracks. You can delete the track log which will clear the Active Log file and start again.

Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    If you've got saved tracks you can uncheck that field and it won't delete the saved tracks. You can delete the track log which will clear the Active Log file and start again.
    Very true. FYI, though, you lose a bunch of info from your track if you save it to the device before you download it. Best to pull it from your track log to your PC after each ride to make sure that you can keep that data intact. Get in the habit of clearing your track log after you've downloaded it so you're not wondering at the trailhead if you're OK to clear it.

mtbr member
    Yeah the 500 points thing annoys me sometimes.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Menu>Tracks - turn track log off, then on again. This will start a new track segment in the active track log. Depending on the software used, it can be just as easy to split the track later.

GPS_dr
    If you select to shadow the track to the memory card, you will have a detailed tracklog with all information (up to 10K points).
    You can then freely save existing track information as well as deleting active log.
    500 points can pretty closely represent most street routes up to 50 miles.
    Doing a 60 mile loop along the Highline Canal, Platte River & Cherry Cr trails I had to
    square off some of the corners pretty severely.
    Older Garmin units have a 250 point limit on saved tracks.
    I usually manually edit the tracks for my website to better approximate the trail than the automated simplification does.
    Be thankful you have a newer Garmin unit. Many others will only display one tracklog
    at a time (even if they say you can save 5 tracks).
    2,000+ miles free Colorado FrontRange GPS enabled bike trails w/map overlays.
    View network via GoogleEarth @ GeoBiking.org

Members who have read this thread: 0