Seeing your Name on a Strava Leaderboard will cost $5 a month now.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Seeing your Name on a Strava Leaderboard will cost $5 a month now.

The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    How much do you spend per month on useless crap you don't need or even care that much about?

Strava is a great app and has a lot of great features. It's a no brainier to pay a measly $5 a month. Most people love paying $15 a month for Netflix or upwards of $100 for cable TV.

Hopefully with paid subscriptions and refocusing on the athletes they'll fix up the areas that need work.

since 4/10/2009
    That's a pretty underhanded way of implementing the changes.

And taking away features of the site that have been core aspects of the site for free members more or less since the beginning? I'm not convinced this is a good idea. I wasn't paying for Strava before, and I certainly won't be doing it now. If I want a robust route builder tool, I'll pay up for the RWGPS premium service, not Strava's.

mtbr member
    why would I pay Strava $5 a month to remind me of how much a suck when I get that for free?

mtbr member
    you get 60 days free. I signed up. It's got some cool stuff. I'd rather pay a little than see all the ads, which they already keep to an absolute minimum. I am certainly no speed freak and will never see my name on a leaderboard, well, maybe daily sometimes, but enjoy it and like seeing what my friends are doing. Well worth it to me to support them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I will miss being able to compare how I did to other random users, however I don't really care about random users other than giving me a feel for what percentile I might be.

Removing the ability to compare my time to my friends and to myself is what's disappointing. I like being able to look at a segment and see whether I'm trending faster or slower. I like being able to compare my times to friends and relatives. That going away removes a lot of the social aspect of using Strava. And they've been trying to move it to be more social recently so it's a bit of a gamble.

I will probably continue to use it so that I can track mileage on my components, but I'm not sure on the social or training side of it anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strava

Still Available to free members

• Top ten all-time and top ten women
    • Create new segments
    • Segment details (distance, gradient, elevation etc)
    • Segment Explore (view popular segments in a given area)
    • Flagging segments

The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Up In Smoke
    So, how many KOM's does this $5 a month buy me?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    why would I pay Strava $5 a month to remind me of how much a suck when I get that for free?
    The big question is will Other Users (paid subscribers) see my name on leaderboards? That's what's really important.

Err, Right?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    ^ that's awesome.

Though I suppose you will still be able to see your own segment times right? You can still PR stuff, no?

A top 10 Leaderboard full of my name?!?! That's it, I'm canceling my subscription.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    ^^^ There's so many freaking segments absolutely everywhere! Why would they want people to make more?

If we're really all-in to upset the Strava apple cart, I'd do a hard wipe of all segments and let paid users recreate them. Free users can make private segments only. They can repopulate with rides from all previous years in the usual way.

And yep, I'd personally lose most of my meaningless "KOMs" in the transaction. Worth it for less mess.

mtbr member
    The whole app should be pay only, get rid of the cheap and slow riders

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I don't need to pay $5 a month to confirm that I'm slow as hell.

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    I don't mind the cost as it's not large but what concerns me is if most of my friends don't pay up and leave since it won't offer much more than a basic ride logger then I'll probably stop using strava as well since the value to me is in seeing other people's rides.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    If Strava didnt want to alienate the 90% of customers that are Free accounts, they would position themselves about Personal Improvement.

Im shocked the free does not include My Efforts tracking. User wants to see their Personal Improvements on segments. Now if they want to know "How does my efforts compare against my friends or the whole?" - Pay up.

But one of the main reasons I started using Strava (back in 2011 when no one was using it) was my own personal times (giving them access to my data), so personally can set goals for myself to improve. Strava missed the opportunity to make that small change that would still be a positive for free users.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Though I suppose you will still be able to see your own segment times right? You can still PR stuff, no?
    According to that DC Rainmaker article, yes.

After reading it, I hopped over to Strava to look and nothing visually appears to have changed, and oddly enough, even though DC Rainmaker said the changes were effective immediately, I still have access to full leaderboards (as a free user - I have never paid Strava anything). Not sure if this is some kind of phased rollout or what.

mtbr member
    what's strava?
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    According to that DC Rainmaker article, yes.

After reading it, I hopped over to Strava to look and nothing visually appears to have changed, and oddly enough, even though DC Rainmaker said the changes were effective immediately, I still have access to full leaderboards (as a free user - I have never paid Strava anything). Not sure if this is some kind of phased rollout or what.
    It seems to be changing gradually because yesterday I couldn't compare my efforts any more and greeted with a subscribe option but I could still the leaderboards and my position on them. Today I can no longer see the leaderboards apart from the top ten with a rather odd redacted style system show my name on the leaderboard with the an entry above and below but the position, named and time all greyed out. If I go to the lower leaderboards like today then it doesn't show me them at all and instead gives the option for a free trial.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    Some of us are sandbaggers just waiting for the opportunity to bring on the hammerage

Not paying to see the rat herd trying to climb over one another underneath makes it all the more fun to be a freeloader
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    It's worth every penny to see that I'm 743/2,400, a bargain in fact.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    It's worth every penny to see that I'm 743/2,400, a bargain in fact.
    Which is why it would be a bummer if they followed Bacon Fat's suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    You might be like 743/744 which is much less of an ego stoke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    Which is why it would be a bummer if they followed Bacon Fat's suggestion...

You might be like 743/744 which is much less of an ego stoke.

Could be the opposite. Lots of slow riders aren't cheap and plenty of fast riders are. Pros will expect sponsors to pay for their subscription.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    My issue is it feels like them going **** you pay me. Rather then trying to make improves to bring people over to paying they just are taking stuff away. I'd consider paying if they had a decent route finder/ builder tool like RideWithGPS. I enjoy the social aspects and the PRs of segments on Strava but not enough to pay for it and definitely not when you are taking away something I used to get for free. Now if the combined the functional of RideWithGPS into the Strava app, I would absolutely pay for Strava.

Also the optics of the timing of this announcement are pretty terrible.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    They got me. The app lost all its fun. Im more into the competitive aspect than the social aspect and I think I can swing two easy annual payments of $59.99. The good thing is they give you a 60 day trial, so that helps considering the current situation and it gives me plenty of time to pull the plug if need be. It is my #1 most used app though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I use Strava purely for a mileage log to see what I've done this week, month, and year. I do like seeing when I've ridden a segment faster than a previous best time but I don't compare my results with anyone but myself and don't ever check leaderboards or use it for route planning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    I use Strava purely for a mileage log to see what I've done this week, month, and year. I do like seeing when I've ridden a segment faster than a previous best time but I don't compare my results with anyone but myself and don't ever check leaderboards or use it for route planning.

You have to pay to see your previous segment times now.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    You have to pay to see your previous segment times now.
    It's not that I want to see all my previous times, but just when I set a new PR on a segment - will that be paid or free?

mtbr member
    I haven't seen any difference yet... because I'm a paid member.... because I'm an idiot.

So I just logged into my kid's account. You can see your own top 10 results on a given segment, and the top 10 men and women overall, but no other permutations (i.e following, monthly, yearly, etc).

In order to see a list of your own top-ten PRs, you need to have that as the default segment view in the settings.

And it still announces your PRs in the ride summary in the usual way.

mtbr member
    My view is if you use it and find value, pay to support it. Google convinced everyone to use their stuff for free in return they took your data and became the masters of the universe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
    Im shocked the free does not include My Efforts tracking. User wants to see their Personal Improvements on segments. Now if they want to know "How does my efforts compare against my friends or the whole?" - Pay up.

But one of the main reasons I started using Strava (back in 2011 when no one was using it) was my own personal times (giving them access to my data), so personally can set goals for myself to improve. Strava missed the opportunity to make that small change that would still be a positive for free users.
    I found this out last night and was pretty disappointed.

Other than looking at the "Today" segment leaderboard to bust balls with my riding group, my only other reason (and primary reason) for using Strava was to see if I was getting stronger.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've started experimenting with other apps to replace Strava and so far I like Runtastic (with mtb mode enabled) best.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    So now that the dust has settled.....I find myself wondering if paid users can see results of non paid users.

I can't see my stuff anymore but wonder if others can see it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    So now that the dust has settled.....I find myself wondering if paid users can see results of non paid users.
    For subscribers, everything looks the same as before.

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    It's not that I want to see all my previous times, but just when I set a new PR on a segment - will that be paid or free?
    Yes, you'll see when you set a PR and if you don't set a PR you'll see what your PR is for that segment.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7