Please recommend me a Polar M400 successor- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Please recommend me a Polar M400 successor

Hi, the life of my Polar M400 is coming to an end and Iím looking for a replacement. This model has been discontinued so I would go for its successor M430 (which is also not in production anymore, but still available in some stores). The price also seems quite good (160 euros).

I see that these newer watches do not have a chest strap anymore (except the most advanced models). They read the heart rate optically on the wrist. At first I thought I would find it convenient not wearing a chest strap, especially on long rides. But I am skeptical about the accuracy of heart rate monitor. So my biggest concern is HRM accuracy. Does anyone have an experience with Polar M430 or recommends anything else for a similar price? Forgot to mention, Iím an enduro rider.

mtbr member
    Check the DC Rainmaker website for comprehensive objective reviews of sports tech. He does a lot of testing and comparisons and shows exactly how various optical HRMs compare to chest straps. A few are really good, but most are pretty erratic, especially wrist types that get bounced around riding a bike.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thanks mate!

Sneaker man
    Also, just becasue it has a wrist sensor, doesn't mean it won't connect to a chest HRM as well. Could't say for Polar, but my Garmin watch will connect to a chest strap as well.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Also, just becasue it has a wrist sensor, doesn't mean it won't connect to a chest HRM as well. Could't say for Polar, but my Garmin watch will connect to a chest strap as well.
    True mate, I see that Polar M430 is able to connect to bluetooth chest sensor. Maybe I should give it a try.

mtbr member
    Any Garmin Edge (except perhaps for a few of the really small low-end units) will connect to any appropriate sensor that broadcasts in ANT+. Some of the more recent Edge units also receive bluetooth from sensors.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Iíve owned the M400, it was a nice watch. True the successor is the M430 and it does support the Polar H7 HRM strap. I just linked my H7 with the Polar Beat App. How I use it is just put my iPhone in my CamelBak and use BT headphones and use the audible setting to get updates.
    I just bought the Garmin Edge 530. It links to my H7. If you can live without the watch, the Garmin Edge gives you way more features than any Polar watch. Iíll be getting the watch next but mainly for tracking my non- cycling training
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail