OT: app for marking land boundaries?- Mtbr.com
    Total Goober
    Sep 2009

OT: app for marking land boundaries?

I'm hoping some of the GPS folks can help with this. We have some family property that I need to figure out some lines in. I have most of the points marked in my phone (Apple maps), but need to be able to figure from, say, one point, go 990 yards at this heading, then mark another point. It's too densely forested to just walk it out using the compass. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    OnX hunting app. The very best.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    They also sell SD card chips for your specific state.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    First and best is going to be having a survey done. If that was done a long time ago and you are just looking for the pins, start with the county gis records.

Run whatever conversions you need to get that into an appropriate format for a handheld gps or a good mapping app on your phone. Can't know exact steps unless you know starting format and exactly what you need, but it is possible. Rent/buy a metal detector and go find the spot your gps sends you. Run the detector till you find the marker pin. Take a shovel and pruning tools with you until you uncover it.

To find it in the future, mark the spot with a post that is visible aboveground. Rebar pounded into the ground with a marker, or something.

Mark a new waypoint with your gps. Use a gps or an app with waypoint averaging capability to ensure good accuracy. Let it average for a good, long time. The actual location will vary some from the county records.

I need to do this with my property. Bought a new place a year ago and have a general idea of the boundaries. But I don't know exact corners. It was surveyed before the house was built, so I just need to find the markers.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Thanks, gents. I finally got up there and used the On X Hunt app. Some corners were in dense trees and the GPS was bouncing around a bit. Turns out my dad has the land owner map on his GPS! So we got it done with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now