New to GPS Units - Which allow custom routes and tracking stats during rides- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New to GPS Units - Which allow custom routes and tracking stats during rides

Originally I was looking at units that connected to Strava Live Segments. But reality is, I only care about tracking against myself not others, so I don't have to have strava live. But would like to create routes and have the computer compare in real time against my own PR. Is this possible or do I need to get Strava Live for this?

For reference I was considering:

Polar m460 - Budget choice at $136
    Garmin 520 - $211 @ rei
    Wahoo Bolt - $250

Thanks for feedback.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    Originally I was looking at units that connected to Strava Live Segments. But reality is, I only care about tracking against myself not others, so I don't have to have strava live. But would like to create routes and have the computer compare in real time against my own PR. Is this possible or do I need to get Strava Live for this?

For reference I was considering:

Polar m460 - Budget choice at $136
    Garmin 520 - $211 @ rei
    Wahoo Bolt - $250

Thanks for feedback.
    AFAIK, none compare your ride to your PR at a given spot as a matter of course.

I don't know about the Polar or Wahoo models, but Garmins offer "Course navigation" which has elements of wayfinding on an unknown route as well as fitness measuring. But in order to do it, the route you want to ride needs to be loaded into the GPS, and before you start your ride, you need to set it up that you're going to follow that route. It'll give you a little graphical display of sorts (exactly what it looks like will vary from model to model) that'll show how you're doing compared to that other ride that you've loaded. How far ahead of or behind the previous time for that other ride. It doesn't really do sections of a ride (like a particular climb). It does this for the entire ride that you've loaded. And you have to load a previous ride manually for every occasion you want to use it.

The "personal records" that my Edge 520 saves and will notify me about when I finish a ride are more "overall" stats. Biggest individual climb. Most climbing over the course of a ride. Longest distance. A couple time metrics over a couple standard distances. But none of these are location specific. It doesn't make a distinction between pavement or dirt, so if I use the computer for both, my road rides will pretty much set all the records (except maybe for the biggest individual climb, because at least around here, the bigger climbs are at least gravel, not paved).

What you're asking for is really a "segment" ranking system like what Strava pioneered. Not many devices will do Strava Live Segments. But so long as you can load your data into Strava, you can see segments later. And Garmin Connect introduced its own segment system quite awhile ago, also. And, if you're not interested in anyone else, you can set up your own private segments. And keep in mind, in order to use Live Segments, you have to be paying for Strava's premium service.

Me, personally, I don't care about the segments while I'm out on the trail. I use my GPS bike computer for recording purposes, to keep track of my time, and serve as a sort of nav backup so I can at least backtrack if I get turned around (where I've been riding lately, though, that would be the least favorable option if I've been out long enough). I don't bother looking at segments until after the ride. I don't want the device notifying me when I'm approaching one of my favorite segments, for sure (this is how Live Segments works) because I just don't segment hunt (that seems to be more of a roadie thing, anyway).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great information. Thanks. I am intersted in real time stats. I also ride the same trails and routes quite often as I live on 15+ miles of trails. Sounds like Stava Live ($3/mo) may be the solution if this is what I want...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    Great information. Thanks. I am intersted in real time stats. I also ride the same trails and routes quite often as I live on 15+ miles of trails. Sounds like Stava Live ($3/mo) may be the solution if this is what I want...
    You'll get more real time stats than you know what to do with. But if you want to know how you're doing on a specific subsection of a trail, yes, Strava Live is what you want.