making a route that you haven't ridden yet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

making a route that you haven't ridden yet?

first, I have looked (for 2 hours now).

I just got a garmin 520 edge plus and I wanted to make routes (on trailforks) and install them on my garmin before i head over to the trails.

I have downloaded the trails I want to ride. I have made a route on trailforks (app im using) but I can't seem to find a way to connect it to my garmin. I clicked download but microsoft just shows apps (apps i dont have).

I may be wrong but I was thinking that maybe all you do is add the trails you want to ride, park and click on something where the garmin would map out your route right there and then. Im great with computers so I dont know how I cant understand this.

Thank you ahead of time for the help!

Sneaker man
    I've never use trailforks, but if I want to make a route, I make it in garmon connect, then just push the button and it loads in garmin device.

if you have the couse saved somewhere, you should be able to go to garmin connect/training/course then select import. should maybe hopefully kinda work (on PC anyway)
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by NHMB View Post
    first, I have looked (for 2 hours now).

I just got a garmin 520 edge plus and I wanted to make routes (on trailforks) and install them on my garmin before i head over to the trails.

I have downloaded the trails I want to ride. I have made a route on trailforks (app im using) but I can't seem to find a way to connect it to my garmin. I clicked download but microsoft just shows apps (apps i dont have).

I may be wrong but I was thinking that maybe all you do is add the trails you want to ride, park and click on something where the garmin would map out your route right there and then. Im great with computers so I dont know how I cant understand this.

Thank you ahead of time for the help!
    I think the route created on the phone app is only going to available on the smartphone. Check with the TF site, normally you would create a route online and that route then gets ported to the Garmin.

since 4/10/2009
    Anytime I want to create a route (a Course in Garmin language. a Route in Garmin terms is something different), I built it on the computer. It's so much easier. I also use the tools on the RideWithGPS website, which allow me to insert turn prompts with street/trail names on the Garmin.

I only occasionally use the trailforks android app for trail maps. same goes for mtbproject. only occasional use.

mtbr member
    ^^^ agree. RWGPS is what I use for creating courses for a Garmin using my PC. You have your choice of various maps to use while doing the layout, including OSM cycle maps. It's easy to lay out a course that follows roads/trails, and if needed use straight line segments to connect where routable trails or roads are not depicted on the maps. You name and save the courses on the RWGPS site and can refer to them and edit them in the future. The account I use is free.

While create a course, I'll often be looking at other resources, things like park commission websites, TrailForks, and others to decide what course I want to lay out.
    What, me worry?