looking for a computer for mtb and may be moving to roadie if i ride there also- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

looking for a computer for mtb and may be moving to roadie if i ride there also

As the title says i am looking for a good computer i can use for both but mostly MTB. I have a wahoo fitness bluetooth HR monitor if i can sync that would be great.

As an added bonus if i bought something that came with a watch or something to where when i am training off the bike that would interest me as well.

There are so many out there im just trying to get some opinions!!

TIA,

AC

Fat-tired Roadie
    Check out the running watches on dcrainmaker.com. I'm not sure how many support Bluetooth, but I'd be really surprised if none do. How well they handle cycling and multisport varies.

I use a Garmin ForeRunner FR230. It has running and cycling modes and supports a heart rate monitor, foot pod, and speed/cadence sensor.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

since 4/10/2009
    most dedicated gps computers use ANT+ for sensors and bluetooth for phone connectivity/data transfers. bluetooth sensors are generally made for phones. if you're lucky and have a dual transmitter sensor (both bluetooth and ANT+), then you're in good shape and pretty flexible.

What do you want the watch to do when you're off the bike? They're generally not going to track your reps when lifting weights, though you might find a smart watch with an app that will do that.

It looks to me like you need to read up on what features are actually available and refine your criteria for a device. Personally, I'd scrap off-the-bike workouts. Use your phone for those. That leaves you with a computer that supports multiple bikes. There are still a lot that do that. Adding a HRM narrows the list a little bit, but not a whole lot. What else do you want?

mtbr member
    thanks guys, when i train in the gym just looking to keep track of my heart rate, i am more concerned with the bike part though.

Rent this space for $
    Garmin 520. I use it for both disciplines of riding. I have a profile setup for "road" and on setup for "mountain" and select accordingly when I launch. If you're running a Wahoo Tickr, that's what I use, you're covered. It's bluetooth and Ant+. I've linked my Strava account to Garmin Connect so the interface is seamless and has been flawless. For just HR monitoring at the gym or something, just use Wahoo's app on your phone.

btw...I'm anti-watch for riding, especially mtb riding. That's a ton of money to have hanging out there to break your fall. I've just smoked too many watches during activities so other than a $20 analog Casio, I wouldn't ride with one.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I stick mine on my handlebars. Same spot as a computer.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Sneaker man
    yeah I used a garmin fr610 and then a 620, just mount on the bars wih the rubber mount doodad. Obviously a bike specific one works better (I bought those two for running) and my edge 1000 is far better...
    But and only saying garmin as that what i know, an XT model might be best as can be detached from band and mounted like a computer. But as mentioned, DCRainmaker, delve into that site for everything you could ever want to know.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone i will take a look, appreciate the feedback.