Looking for clarifications about Strava and galaxy smart watch- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Looking for clarifications about Strava and galaxy smart watch

So I've been in the market for a smart watch that I can sync with Strava so I can record rides and my heart rate and what not. The reason I'm not interested in Garmins or other brands is I need something that has an Android operating system due to the fact I need to also sync a continuous glucose monitor. I have heard mixed things regarding the use of Strava with the galaxy smart watch, some say it works some say it doesn't. Looking to hear from you guys with a concrete answer.
    Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just a few thoughts. Why do you need a watch? A handlebar device, or a phone can do the same thing. You will need a HR strap or wrist band to get HR of course. Wear OS isn't really the same as the Android on a newer phone or tablet. If your requirements really dictate that you need to run a specific device with a ANT or BLE connection, I would verify before you buy. Finally, I don't know much about continuous glucose monitors, but I do have a few associates that have used them. The false readings, sensor issues, calibration concerns, and slow update rates don't really make these things look like they are suited to continuous data collection during a ride.

For my two cents, I would pick a device that suits your needs the best, and can generate data in a format that will upload to Strava after the ride. Other than a full on smart phone, I've never had any luck getting a tiny device to run a Strava app without failures. On some of the big rides I participate in it is a 50% failure rate. Log or monitor your glucose as needed during the ride and manually correlate the data afterwards.

jcd's best friend
    Ive found that some watches that monitor heart rate and records the data for Strava tend to be quite off. I actually use a chest monitor when I ride on road or dirt.
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like it more trouble then it's worth as I can just continue to carry my phone with me.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rides all the bikes!
    You don't need to run the Strava app on your watch to record your ride. As long as your watch has some sort of GPS tracking function, you can probably sync it to Strava. As an example, my Garmin tracks the ride, uploads it to the Garmin site, and gets sent to Strava. It wasn't using the Strava app on the watch.

Third party apps and sites also making syncing pretty damn easy too, if you need it. I would focus on what your health needs are for the watch, and make Strava an afterthought.

mtbr member
    I've been using a Fitbit Surge. It does not require a smartphone to be nearby for GPS tracking and heart rate monitoring. I ride with my phone on me, but the Fitbit Surge' built-in GPS tracks my ride and HR info instead of eating my phone battery. It syncs up later via Bluetooth when I am at home. I use it with the free Strava app on my Galaxy 8. Not sure if that helps, but lots of fitness watches will do the job for you.

Rollin' a fatty
    I use a Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro to record walks, rides and for some weird reason lawn mowing (thinks I'm riding). It uses it's own app and can sync with Strava.

Not perfect but works good enough for me to keep track of miles and approx heart rate, don't trust it's accuracy much but gives me an idea and that's enough for what I need.

As others have said, use a bike mounted unit with a chest strap like a Garmin or Polar or just use your phone to record the ride the Strava app.

5-0
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I use my Samsung Gear S3 to track on Strava. After doing some research I ended up downloading the SportyWatch app. It seems to be as accurate as using my phone and is easier to check mileage and details without taking out my phone.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The Galaxy watch's use Tizen, not Android.