iPhone new iOS and GPS HRM devices(Polar,Garmin)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

iPhone new iOS and GPS HRM devices(Polar,Garmin)

Iíve been a HRM gadget geek since the old Cateye HB100 and then my Polar S710 back when Polar started multisport watches.They came with handlebar mounts and wireless HR straps pre Ant+ and BT tech.
    Now I own the M600 that is has wrist HR sensor and can connect to BT HR strap. This is nice so I can remove watch and put in my CamelBak or mount on handle bar.
    Now Iím having issues with syncing to my iPhone X iOS 13. This uses Google Wear OS App and Polar Flow App. But since my last iPhone update itís no longer syncing. Does anyone else have this issue? Iíve trouble shooter this all the way back to deleting Apps and resetting watch. It works as I set up then disconnects.
    Iím at the point that Iím considering the Apple Watch 4 or 5 but I donít know if it will work with a HR strap, and lack of advanced cycling data capture.
    Iím also at the point of just getting a Samsung phone so I can keep using my advanced tech gadgets for cycling.
    Thanks in advance for anyone that wants to comment that may share my frustration with Appleís proprietary issues or Polar and Garmin inability to sync to iPhone iOS
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I received a Garmin 830 for Xmas and for the life of me I can not get it to sync or upload a ride to my Apple iPhone via Bluetooth even though my phone says the device is connected in both the Bluetooth settings and in the Garmin Connect app. I can get it to sync and upload over wifi but no luck with Bluetooth.

Sorry, I know this is of no help to you, but at least you know you're not the only one having issues with Garmin and iOS. Misery loves company, right...?

As a follow up side note and FWIW, in general, the "update" to iOS 13 has been a complete train wreck for me on my iPhone 7.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for sharing, I have a feeling itís happening to many iPhone owners getting the new 13.3 iOS updates. Iím going to buy the Garmin edge 530 and see what happens. If I canít sync with my iPhone Iíll just buy a Samsung. My cycling and fitness data provided by Garmin and Polar is way more valuable than what iPhones can offer with their superficial iWatch fitness apps
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    My cycling and fitness data provided by Garmin and Polar is way more valuable than what iPhones can offer with their superficial iWatch fitness apps
    Agreed! Especially when you're at the pub for a post ride beer with your buddies and you can't get your data to sync from Garmin to Strava so you can show them how much faster then them you were.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't have those devices to test but know from day job = enterprise IT admin that you have to consider the new settings for privacy that have been added and in some cases restart with bluetooth off and/or reset network settings.

There might be some hiccups with the new privacy settings but what they've done should be welcomed. The devices we work with are for business and not sports but so far dozens of phones and iPad work as they should. There might be exceptions but I figured I'd let it be known in this case it's not been a deal killer as some thought.

It would be worth pursuing support from Garmin too. The iPhone market share is so large and Apple wearable business growing so fast that it is an issue they must be aware of.

Good luck.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    No doubt iOS has its issues but after yesterday I am officially done with my Garmin 830. Thanks to REI and their 100% satisfaction no questions return policy.

Not only can I not get it to sync with my phone but yesterday on a 55 minute walk it never acquired satellites and the battery went from 37% to 0% in a matter of minutes.

I have a Wahoo Elemnt Roam on the way. Seeing as I have been using a Garmin 510 for several years now I was hoping to not have to learn a new interface but Garmin has given me no choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Iím going to buy a Garmin edge 530 and check if it works with my iPhone iOS. If that doesnít work Iím considering switching to a Samsung S10. The iPhone seems to be becoming more proprietary for Apple products. I had Jabra ear bud issues too.
    Iíve been using Polar HRM before iPhone was born and I donít think that their superficial apps for HR and cycling data compares to Polar and Garminís advanced products. So switching phones seems to be a better solution.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    No doubt iOS has its issues but after yesterday I am officially done with my Garmin 830. Thanks to REI and their 100% satisfaction no questions return policy.

Not only can I not get it to sync with my phone but yesterday on a 55 minute walk it never acquired satellites and the battery went from 37% to 0% in a matter of minutes.

I have a Wahoo Elemnt Roam on the way. Seeing as I have been using a Garmin 510 for several years now I was hoping to not have to learn a new interface but Garmin has given me no choice.
    The problem is apple with their ios update(s), so you should have returned the (rotten) apple
    Last edited by thasingletrackmastah; 01-25-2020 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Typo

since 4/10/2009
    yeah, phone compatibility is sortof the last thing on my list. I'm curious about the other circumstances with the aforementioned Edge 830. there are definitely a few things that I know will cause those issues, that would be issues with any other brand.

mtbr member
    There's a whole run of topics about the new iOS update issues. https://forums.garmin.com/apps-softw...ting-to-ios-13
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I ended up getting the Garmin Edge 530. Iím not too concerned with the iPhone sending notifications to my Edge for now. Eventually Iíll be switching to Samsung. Iíll be getting the Forerunner 945 of Fenix 6 and Iím tired of iPhones proprietary BS. I just feel the Apple Watch is not a multi sport watch and is really just an App phone or iPhone for your wrist.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    ...I just feel the Apple Watch is not a multi sport watch and is really just an App phone or iPhone for your wrist.
    Agreed.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm loving the Garmin Edge, it's an amazing cycle computer with tons of features. The Garmin Connect App and cloud database is nice to but doesn't break down the HR data as well as the Polar Flow App and cloud db.
    I went ahead and bought the Polar Vantage M watch too. It works fine with my iPhone iOS. And so does the Garmin Connect. I guess the updates fixed the compatibility.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail