HRM that will last- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

HRM that will last

So I've had a couple Wahoo Tickrs (one "X" and one regular). In both cases, after a little over a year, they start "flaking out". Replacing batteries/straps doesn't seem to help. The most recent one started acting up a few weeks ago so I haven't worn it in over a week. I turned my GPS on in the house a couple days ago to upload a ride and it immediately paired to the HRM and showed a HR of 212!

So what HRM's have you guy had good luck with? Do they tend to work for several years? Or should I just expect to replace it every year?

mtbr member
    Setting aside the obvious battery question, all my problems have been strap-related.

Have you tried straps from different manufacturers? I've had two garmin straps that didn't work out of the box, which misled me to believe something was wrong with the transmitter.

Wahoo straps were a bit better, but still way less than a year of daily use for a fair bit of $$$. I now just order a few of the no-name $5 straps from amazon or Aliexpress every year for my Tick. They take a ride to get "sweated in" (they will read high for the first ride) and after that I have had no further issues, despite having the same transmitter for 4 years now.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    I have a Garmin classic chest strap that's worked without issue since 2010. That's the one where the sensor and contacts are a flexible piece of plastic about 10" long. I replace the battery every 12-18 months and am on my third elastic strap. It is ANT+ only.

About 6 months ago I got a Scosche Rhythm 24 which goes on the arm. I got it because it can record HR independently and it's noted as being one of the best optical HRMs. It's worked fine, but you gotta recharge it periodically, it's got flashing lights, and it's there are your arm. I think the Garmin chest strap is better in terms of use and comfort. I've never been aware of it once I'm underway.
    What, me worry?

Rides all the bikes!
    Last two Garmins have lasted me at least a year. Considering I USED to always ride with a strap (use optical on my watch mostly now), that is pretty good since I ride 20 hours a week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I get about 18-24 months total use out of each Garmin HRM run strap before they crap out, usually have to change the battery at about 6-8 months. For reference it gets used 6-7 days/10-15 hours a week average

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm on year 4 with my Polar H7. I do about 150-200 hours/year per Strava. Lots of batteries, second strap, original unit.

mtbr member
    I need to closely monitor heart rate for health reasons. I have had one device or another since 2008. The latest was NOS in about 2013: A Garmin 500 which does more than I need. Battery has been replaced. From reading here, the fact that a new strap battery did not stop the 240+ pulse rate readings suggests the strap is bad. It fails on the return ride. The fact that the strap is original and now about 6 years old appears to be good luck instead of bad reading that some have three straps over a few years.

So I need a replacement strap. The Polar H10 gets good reviews when money is not an issue but appears to have features I don't need other that accuracy and maybe longevity. The replacement Garmin strap is a best buy. This strap: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/01/...th-review.html is a takeoff on the premium Garmin strap and could link to my phone so I can use the strap in cardio therapy.

The premium Garmin strap appeared to have a higher failure rate than the standard one at one time. I wonder if that has been corrected. Any constructive input would be appreciated. Given the health issue, accurate and dependable if expensive is OK.

mtbr member
    Had my Garmin strap for 3 years now. No problems (knock on wood).

mtbr member
    I don't believe the standard Garmin strap is available any more. The issue with the deluxe strap was often due the connection of the snaps to module and the conductivity of elastic strap under the module. I believe they've rectified that, but frequent care and cleaning helped. As I mentioned, I've gone back to using my nearly 10 year old standard Garmin strap after a brief hiatus using the optical arm band. The strap still works great.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Update.time. The old strap smartened up and is flying right. I suspect that that battery cover was not seating right and letting sweat in. My order for a new strap got lost, which is fine by me.

Sneaker man
    My old Garmin straps laster around 1 year each. My current one, not the latest versions has been going for riding and (some) running since March 2017, still working fine.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Update. My 10 year old Garmin strap quit working a couple of weeks ago. Battery checked good and a new battery didn't fix it. Resetting it by shorting out the battery contacts (put battery in upside down for a few seconds) got it to work for one ride. I left it open baking in the sun for a few hours and it's working reliably again.
    What, me worry?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Update. My 10 year old Garmin strap quit working a couple of weeks ago. Battery checked good and a new battery didn't fix it. Resetting it by shorting out the battery contacts (put battery in upside down for a few seconds) got it to work for one ride. I left it open baking in the sun for a few hours and it's working reliably again.
    Possibly moisture inside? Dodgy battery cover o-ring?

mtbr member
    ^^^ of course. Baking it out is a pretty standard way of getting moisture out of electronics or optics where some has gotten in. Why do you you think I did it, as an offering to Ra? Either way, getting moisture out or appeasing Ra, it worked.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Never had any issues with my Garmin straps, except the one my dog ate.

The optical Rhythm plus from Scosche worked ok for running or on a trainer, but I was getting readings all over the place on the mountain bike. I also use a Garmin Fenix with the optical sensor, but not for riding as I don't like stuff on my wrist while biking.

mtbr member
    ^^^ I have the Rhythm 24 and it's been solid in all activities. I wear it up on my forearm, ~1-2 inches below the elbow with the body of it facing up rather than in the crook or outside of the elbow. The strap is too short to wear it on my upper arm. I keep it reasonably snug so it doesn't move or break contact with the skin on rough rides.
    What, me worry?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Got a Wahoo Tickr Fit to try out.
    Got some small moles on my chest that are getting rubbed by the edge of the chest strap.

mtbr member
    I did not think of Gorilla Waterproof Duct tape in time (one day too late) to work around the O-ring failure in the battery cap of the original Edge 500 HRM strap, so my sweat shorted a new battery which leaked and killed the electronics. New strap works, but is not as easy to put on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm using a Wahoo Tickr and have no complaints so far.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by raaden03 View Post
    I'm using a Wahoo Tickr and have no complaints so far.
    Chest or arm?

I'm wearing my Tickr Fit above the bicep, on the outside of the arm. Still under a short sleeve top arm and still within range of the head unit.