HRM+ iPhone or HRM+Garmin Watch for Strava usage????- Mtbr.com
    Short-Change-Hero

HRM+ iPhone or HRM+Garmin Watch for Strava usage????

So I am getting to the point now where I am interested in more indepth analytics regarding my riding, running and other outdoor activities.

Currently use Strava for pretty much everything (mtb, bikemute, running, paddleboarding, snowshoeing, etc.) for tracking on my phone which is almost always with me. But this last Christmas I got the wife a basic Garmin running watch (230 I think) and a HRM. She loves it for her runs and snowshoeing. This peaked my interest as I am starting to get back into mtb racing and want to do some info on lactic thresholds and whatnot.

Anyways, I am debating on getting a Garmin watch (Fenix 2 as I wear a watch everyday) and HRM or if I should just get an HRM to pair to my phone. Any thoughts on the two scenarios and possible differences in accuracy of the GPS tracking?

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    The upside of a Fenix is that you can look and see ride data, the downside is keeping the battery charged. If you're not running, just get a cheaper GPS like a Lezyne or Garmin 500 series since the Fenix is not cheap.

If you always carry a phone, just get a bluetooth strap and stick with the Strava app.

Short-Change-Hero
    The phone is pretty much always with me but in my pack... would love to be able to see maps and whatnot on the display... I do run occasionally so I track that data as well.

I was specifically looking at Fenix 2 on ebay as they normally run around $170-ish. But again the watch isn't really necessary, just wasn't sure if there were extra benefits to the watch over the phone+HRM combo.

I have had a few rides were the phone did not pick up GPS data (no cell service) so in that case, if the phone doesn't have service am I pretty much guaranteed the watch wont?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The watch doesn't rely on cell service for anything.
    I have started using my Garmin 920 more and more.
    I've also got an Edge 25 and 810, but they're getting less bar time now.

mtbr member
    The Garmin Edge 520 will upload to Strava via Bluetooth to your phone at the end of a ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah see I would like to stay away from the dedicated trackers like the Edge 520 specifically because then I have to move it from one mount to another. While running will not be the main priority for the device it is something that it will need to track as I do run about once a week and run with the wife when we are out of town (unless the bike has come with me). That is why I am more looking at the watch, and like I said, I wear a watch daily so it would be something that is constantly on me.

Really looking to keep the expenditure (watch) below $200 if at all possible unless it comes with the HRM then I can do more. Was originally looking at a Suunto Core but then found the Fenix 2 and really like that... Some of the newer fourrunners are nice as well but to pull double duty as an actual watch AND tracker I like the look and styling of the others better.

since 4/10/2009
    No experience with the fenix specifically, but I've used a Forerunner 310XT for a number of years.

It fulfills most of my needs for biking. I have a HRM, magnetless wheel sensors for two bikes, and a cadence sensor for my road bike. I have used it for indoor training when I've had a Wahoo Kickr to use. I also have a qr adapter for it. There's a wrist strap I can use when running, but I can also clip it directly to the handlebars with a 1/4 turn mount. Not sure if the fenix offers that, but I honestly don't care for wearing a watch when mtb riding.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I don't believe that the Fenix would allow for handlebar mounting or anything like that with a quick disconnect type mount. It does offer Bluetooth connection to most ANT+ items from what I have been reading so I could ultimately to a HRM, cadence, speed, powermeter and whatnot if I really wanted to but at this point I am just mainly looking at tracking and HRM.

since 4/10/2009
    Honestly, IMO you want ANT+ for fitness sensors if you can get it. But take specific note about whether a power meter is supported by the device or not. Not all Garmins with ANT+ support power.

Bluetooth is a totally different protocol and is used by devices differently. Garmin tends to use it for wireless communication to your phone, for example. My older Forerunner uses ANT+ for file transfers to my computer, and DAMN, is it slow.

Short-Change-Hero
    Power meter is on the very bottom of that list and I mean VERY bottom. Mostly concerned about the HRM and then after that may come cadence and speed.

mtbr member
    I have been using the Fenix 1 for about 6 months (scored locally for $40!) for biking and hiking and some everyday use. I like it a lot. I use this to mount on the bike: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerun...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Works great. Ive found the Fenix to be very accurate for both biking and hiking, locks satellites quickly and the battery life is great!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I simply use a a Rok Form case and mount like this setup (http://www.amazon.com/Rokform-Adjust...ywords=rokform) with my iPhone and a Polar HRM. I also ride with my wireless head phones, so multiple device can certainly link. I track everything with the Cyclemeter app.

The stem cap mount for the phone is super simple and very secure. The case is rugged, and my phone only ever came out 1 time when I washed out on a corner and either my knee or the ground gave the phone the 1/4 turn nudge it needs to unlock from the mount.

The only issue I could potentially have would be if the phone were to get wet, but I tend to ride in dry weather and wet conditions don't tend to be too problematic where I ride. It's nice being able to track my HR and see my progress vs my course and virtual competitors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by L84Beer View Post
    I simply use a a Rok Form case and mount like this setup (http://www.amazon.com/Rokform-Adjust...ywords=rokform) with my iPhone and a Polar HRM. I also ride with my wireless head phones, so multiple device can certainly link. I track everything with the Cyclemeter app.

The stem cap mount for the phone is super simple and very secure. The case is rugged, and my phone only ever came out 1 time when I washed out on a corner and either my knee or the ground gave the phone the 1/4 turn nudge it needs to unlock from the mount.

The only issue I could potentially have would be if the phone were to get wet, but I tend to ride in dry weather and wet conditions don't tend to be too problematic where I ride. It's nice being able to track my HR and see my progress vs my course and virtual competitors.
    If you are going phone route the Rokform is by far the superior mount. I crashed pretty hard on a road bike and my phone didn't budge. If you want waterproof you could get a life proof case and use the Rokform universal mount

Fat-tired Roadie
    I just got a FR230 myself. I wear it most of the day on week days when I run or ride. It is big on me, but I'm not a big guy. It beats the 610, which I used the same way.

It has a pretty good cycling mode and seems to record better GPS tracks then my coworker's iPhone or my Android.

No power meter support I believe. I figure I'll get an Edge if that ever comes up.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Rides all the bikes!
    As a triathlete, not having a watch is killing me. My 310xt broke broke the day BEFORE one of my biggest races of the year. I'm temporarily borrowing my wife's Tomtom watch and it SUCKS for tri. I'm using a retired phone for track my stuff that doesn't involve water.

Tracking your HR does no good if you are not using it live. That means you need your phone out with the screen on the whole time. My vote is the Fenix.