HRM back in the day- Mtbr.com
    Armature speller
    Sep 2004

HRM back in the day

In the early 90's my first HRM was a brand I can't remember and it could record 255 readings at 5-10 or 15sec intervals. You could program in lower and upper zones for the alarm and afterwards, you could sit down and scroll through all the readings on the watch and type them into the computer. My computer at the time was a Canon AS100 running BASIC on top of CP/M.
    I wrote a program to graph the results and let me print them out.
    It showed bad readings, time below/in/above the selected zone, average HR for individual laps/legs, how much time was spent in the various HR zones (61-70%, 71-80%, 81-90%, 91-100% of the min/max HR for that ride/run).
    I could see if my HR was dropping too much after a transition in a duathlon, or to high up a hill and tailor my training accordingly.

Well, that was the theory. It was mainly just fun
    Unreliable chest transmitters, battery replacement every couple of weeks in the watch and transmitter.

Upgraded to a Polar Coach eventually and it wasn't as good...

Hell we've come a long way...

Just found some graphs from 1993/4 and got a little nostalgic

mtbr member
    My 2001-2008-era version of "strava" was to manually trim the *.gpx files from my Garmin E-Trex to see just the hill climbs, and then compare my elapsed times.

(FWIW, I'm not convinced this method was any less accurate than the dubious algorithm strava uses today for this purpose).

For most of the '90s all I had logged was average speed and distance, which were pretty cruel metrics to measure progress on a mountain bike ride.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

since 4/10/2009
    I knew people who charted their metrics in spreadsheets back then. but I wasn't one of them. I had a basic computer for speed/distance and that was it. It wasn't until the GPS era that I started saving anything, and that really had nothing to do with gps itself, but rather the fact that GPS receivers had memory that stored your history, and you could easily transfer it to a computer.

The first GPS that I owned (not that I used) was a Garmin Rino 120. I tried using the radio part a few times, but the range was garbage. My first HRM was a Polar somethingorother in maybe 05 or so that I bought for cheap at an REI garage sale, because the battery was dead. lol It didn't record anything to the point that I could do anything with that recorded data, but it did keep a sort of history, and had alarms and whatnot.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Always wanted a Rino but they were illegal here as the radio was never certified.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Always wanted a Rino but they were illegal here as the radio was never certified.
    I have no experience with the newer ones, but mine had the fraction of the range that my standalone Motorola radios had. Tried using them in a multi-vehicle caravan once, and the Rino could only participate when it was RIGHT NEXT TO a vehicle with a Motorola. The Motorolas worked fine with the vehicles over 1/2mi apart.