How do you mount your GPS?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    34

    How do you mount your GPS?

    I just bought a Pivot Trail 429. I'm going to use my Garmin Edge 520 with it, how best to mount it? Also, will the standard speed sensor fit around the beefier MTB hubs?

  2. #2
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wild Wes View Post
    I just bought a Pivot Trail 429. I'm going to use my Garmin Edge 520 with it, how best to mount it? Also, will the standard speed sensor fit around the beefier MTB hubs?
    Lots of choices. Probably best to figure out where you want to put it first (there are a few threads in here about that) and then buy the mount that puts it where you like.

    As for the speed sensor, it will. I have them wrapped around Novatec, Hope, and I9 hubs.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    367
    Roadies are OK with the out-front mount, out front. Makes the screen easy to see.

    Mt. bikers that actually ride technical trails, where they sometimes crash (me), turns around the out-front-mount which places the device over the stem. The theory is non-out-front protects the device better. No real experience if this is true or not.

    But as Harold stated, you should just try different positions to see what works.

    SB

  4. #4
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,812
    I bought a stem mount kit for my Scout to place my Edge 520. Works great! My speed sensor wraps around a DT Swiss 350 hub too. Iím worried about my cadence sensor falling off because itís mounted to a Truvativ Descendent crank arm. I triple banded the sensor to my crank arm so it doesnít come off.




    Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I bought a stem mount kit for my Scout to place my Edge 520. Works great! My speed sensor wraps around a DT Swiss 350 hub too. Iím worried about my cadence sensor falling off because itís mounted to a Truvativ Descendent crank arm. I triple banded the sensor to my crank arm so it doesnít come off.




    Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    What stem mount is that? That's probably the route I will go.

  6. #6
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wild Wes View Post
    What stem mount is that? That's probably the route I will go.
    Here it is:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Make sure you mount the screws vertically like in the picture. Also, the kit comes with 2 mounts for 2 different style Garmin computers. Just take one of them and attach it to your Garmin first to make sure it's the right one.
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,213
    I have hit the GPS with my chest when mounted on the bars so this is what I do. I can tap it with my knee is some circumstances but it'll rotate on the bars.

    Attachment 1248977
    What, me worry?

  8. #8
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,619
    On my XC bike I put it on my stem where it is easy to view. Rest of the time, I use my watch.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I have hit the GPS with my chest when mounted on the bars so this is what I do. I can tap it with my knee is some circumstances but it'll rotate on the bars.

    Attachment 1248977
    That looks interesting! I didn't think about reversing the mount like that. My handlebars are 35mm though, most of those out-front mounts I'm seeing on Amazon are max 31.5mm though.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,213
    ^^^ yeah. That particular Barfly mount isn't available anymore, though there are some similar. I think plastic that'll yield or break is a better than aluminum in this application. One of my bikes has 35mm bars and I haven't yet found a similar mount.
    What, me worry?

Similar Threads

  1. gps, gps w/ speed sensor, or gps w/ bike computer.....
    By sk8z27 in forum GPS, HRM and Bike Computer
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2015, 05:44 AM
  2. Anyone have a GPS track Mount Wilson/Mount lowe?
    By nokfir2 in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2012, 11:28 PM
  3. What do you all do with your GPS - how advanced do you get?
    By surftime in forum GPS, HRM and Bike Computer
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 08:40 PM
  4. How do you use your GPS to track to ride? Tips on GPS wanted!
    By Ilikejeeps2 in forum GPS, HRM and Bike Computer
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 02:26 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 09:57 PM

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.