Help with HRM for cycling indoor and outdoor- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Help with HRM for cycling indoor and outdoor

Hello folks , I need some help deciding some value for money choices about HRM for indoor cycling (spinning) and outdoor cycling and other exercises .
    So its crucial for the system to track Heart Rate , i dont care for GPS since that will increase the price of the product by a lot and i want it to somehow to work correct or near perfect on indoor cycling
    Any insight is helpful

mtbr member
    Why not just get a chest strap that works with a phone app?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    are they accurate ? Can you suggest me some ?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FoFos View Post
    google is pretty useful. Amazon reviews will give you a whole lot more feedback than you'll get here. At this point in time, what you want is something not many people do anymore. Used to be super common, but nowadays most people use their HRM WITH other things like GPS, or something else. The wrist-worn activity trackers are popular, and some of those have HRM, as well.

Rent this space for $
    You want ANT+ and Bluetooth tech so you can use it with other devices should you decide to in the future.

I have been using a Wahoo Tickr for easily 4 years, now. I bought it through Strava's store back when they had one. It was $59 and it got me a year's Premium Membership for buying it. Originally, it was just paired with my phone and I used Wahoo's free app to track my indoor activity and Strava on my outdoor activity. I think I have replaced the battery ONCE in that time period. I never ride without it so that's a whole-lotta rides and hiking activities. Now, using the same device, my rides are done on a Garmin 520 and my other activities tracked through my Garmin Vivoactive watch. The unit works flawlessly with anything I have it paired. It even interfaces with my Garmin 64st GPS I use for trail building. The key element is to make sure it's ANT+/Bluetooth.

I have a couple of Garmin HRM straps that I added for back-up within the last year. I bought them on BuyDig.com which is a blowout clearance outfit. I paid <$15 for each and they are the real deal and when compared to the Wahoo I have, they produce pretty much identical results. I keep one in my bike gear bag in my truck and have a spare at home just in case I forget to strap mine on before I leave for a ride. I feel naked if I ride without one, now. They were too cheap to not jump on the deal. I have seen it come up a few times since so you might want to check before you take the plunge but I still heartily recommend the Wahoo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Do you know cause i can see on the site on wahoo that the TickrX is tracking pedals, is it accurate ?

Rent this space for $
    I can only speak to the Tickr. The other units did not exist when I bought mine. Mine is HR only. I have the Garmin accessories for the other bits of data. Yes, the Tickr is accurate and very consistent. I'd assume the other units are, too. As for the optical sensors now? I'm not so sure. I'm skeptical of their accuracy but I haven't studied the tech.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoFos View Post
    Yes.
    Polar H7.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Polar is very good, I used to have it some years ago for my kickboxing training but then i broke it Problem is I am quite sure its not measuring pedals or having some Pedal/Cycling options like Tickr or even FitBit