hammerhead offline GPS map feature?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

hammerhead offline GPS map feature?

Has anyone download offline maps into the Hammerhead GPS unit?

does this offline map have all your local trails?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The offline maps on the Karoo reflect the trails that were available on Open Street Maps at the time Hammerhead's map contractor downloaded them -- which in my case (New Jersey, USA) appears to be a couple of years ago. So, unfortunately, I'm missing a number of trails that were created since then. I've sideloaded Locus Map Pro recently, and it seems that their maps are updated 3-4 times per year, which means the trail content is only missing (at most) the last 3-4 months...which I feel is pretty current. Hammerhead just announced that they've created a system for downloading larger maps than before (now, whole states are available), but I don't know if they will be maintained more frequently than the old ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FitmanNJ View Post
    The offline maps on the Karoo reflect the trails that were available on Open Street Maps at the time Hammerhead's map contractor downloaded them -- which in my case (New Jersey, USA) appears to be a couple of years ago. So, unfortunately, I'm missing a number of trails that were created since then. I've sideloaded Locus Map Pro recently, and it seems that their maps are updated 3-4 times per year, which means the trail content is only missing (at most) the last 3-4 months...which I feel is pretty current. Hammerhead just announced that they've created a system for downloading larger maps than before (now, whole states are available), but I don't know if they will be maintained more frequently than the old ones.
    do you transfer maps from locus map pro to Karoo?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    do you transfer maps from locus map pro to Karoo?
    You purchase Locus Map Pro for about $13 USD, then "sideload" the program onto the Karoo. I'm not a computer software professional by any means, but there was enough direction here for me to get the job done using my Apple MacBook Pro: https://github.com/JohnJ80/Karoo-App-Sideloading/wiki. Locus includes 3 free map downloads as part of the initial purchase (if I recall correctly, these downloads are done from the Karoo itself), which you can use for maps of other areas, or updates of your current area. I think there's a ~$10USD/year fee for the program, also. If you don't need the extra features of the "Pro" version (for me, I wanted to be able to connect ANT+ sensors, which is a Pro feature), I think you can get the regular Locus Map for free.

There are a multitude of things you can do to fine-tune the program to your liking, including how your data fields are layed out, font sizes, etc., although it does take some time to figure out where to go in the Settings to tweek all of these items (not real well organized, can be a little frustrating). On the other hand, the maps are really quite impressive! As a mountain biker, I don't use Turn-By-Turn directions, so, if that's important to you, you might want to do a little research to see how well it's implemented in Locus.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FitmanNJ View Post
    You purchase Locus Map Pro for about $13 USD, then "sideload" the program onto the Karoo. I'm not a computer software professional by any means, but there was enough direction here for me to get the job done using my Apple MacBook Pro: https://github.com/JohnJ80/Karoo-App-Sideloading/wiki. Locus includes 3 free map downloads as part of the initial purchase (if I recall correctly, these downloads are done from the Karoo itself), which you can use for maps of other areas, or updates of your current area. I think there's a ~$10USD/year fee for the program, also. If you don't need the extra features of the "Pro" version (for me, I wanted to be able to connect ANT+ sensors, which is a Pro feature), I think you can get the regular Locus Map for free.

There are a multitude of things you can do to fine-tune the program to your liking, including how your data fields are layed out, font sizes, etc., although it does take some time to figure out where to go in the Settings to tweek all of these items (not real well organized, can be a little frustrating). On the other hand, the maps are really quite impressive! As a mountain biker, I don't use Turn-By-Turn directions, so, if that's important to you, you might want to do a little research to see how well it's implemented in Locus.
    thank for the tip

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    thank for the tip
    If you end up trying Locus, please post-up with your thoughts (pro or con) as I'm curious to learn what others think (especially when run on a Karoo...).